Mary Mary

• Please log in to reply

243 replies to this topic

Raspberry Beret

Raspberry Beret

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 9:43 PM

The gospel duo "Mary Mary" have a new reality series on WE TV.

Mary Mary gives Atlanta love in new WE-TV reality show debuting March 29
10:30 am March 29, 2012, by Rodney Ho

Tina and Erica at the Museum Bar March 21 promoting the show. WE-TV has gotten a lot of ratings mileage from the sisterly tensions among the Braxtons, which is partly shot in Atlanta. “Braxton Family Values,” concluding its second season,is the network’s most successful original series to date.

WE is hoping for more viewer love with its sister duo of Mary Mary – Erica Atkins-Campbell and Tina Atkins-Campbell. Starting March 29, viewers will watch the travails of the pair as they juggle multiple kids, pregnancies, a pushy manager and a career.

Mary Mary brings a different angle to reality shows of this ilk because they are an urban contemporary gospel group who sing about and for Jesus. This means they aren’t going to show too much skin, or curse, or threaten bodily harm.

This doesn’t mean there aren’t tensions. Expect arguments over career direction, weight and sundry other issues over ten episodes. But it’s more of a sweet, feel-good show than “Braxton Family Values.”

They have crossover appeal, breaking ground in 2000 with “Shackles (Praise You)” and 2008’s “God In Me,” which got heavy play not just on Praise 102.5 but secular stations Majic 107.5, V-103 and Hot 107.9. This reality show is meant to hit not just their core fans but casual fans, too.

Atlanta, as the first episode notes, is Mary Mary’s biggest market. Praise 102.5 gets some love and we see them perform at the Macy’s Tree Lighting this past November at Lenox Square Mall. Mary Mary, who live in Los Angeles, even came into town last week to do a special screening for media and fans at the Museum Bar near Turner Field.

NeedISayMore

NeedISayMore

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 11:20 PM

I liked the show although when they are all made up,I find it hard to tell them apart. It's amazing how much younger the pregnant one looks when she's those outrageous weaves or wigs. So far I like the family dynamics.

I didn't know gospel singers were into the sprayed on pants look.

prosperity2day

prosperity2day

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 12:38 AM

NeedISayMore
I liked the show although when they are all made up,I find it hard to tell them apart.

I know what you mean. I was like...okay is that Erica or Tina?

I have never heard of them before but I really enjoyed their interactions between each family. Will definitely be watching this again and the ladies can rock.

damalanop

damalanop

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 7:36 AM

I enjoyed the show as well, although I was a little skeptical about how interesting it would be when I heard they were doing a reality show. What I liked is that Erica and Tina are actually filmed doing things, and not just meeting for lunch, drinks, like on other reality shows. Like the rest of you, I had trouble distinguishing them when they wore the heavy makeup and wigs. Hopefully the remainder of the season, is as good as the first show.

PharmGal10

PharmGal10

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 8:37 AM

I still remember Erica having a Wedding Story special on TLC years ago. LOL! It was such a cute episode.

I didn't tune in this week, but hopefully I can catch the next episode. I've always been able to tell them apart - Erica looks much younger imo.

Talented Tenth

Talented Tenth

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 2:29 PM

Erica looking younger must burn Tina up since Tina is actually younger.

PharmGal10

PharmGal10

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 2:41 PM

I believe they are only separated by 1 or 2 years...hope it doesn't bother Tina too much!

NeedISayMore

NeedISayMore

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 4:20 PM

Which one is Erica and which one it Tina? To make it easy, what's the name of the pregnant one?

damalanop

damalanop

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 5:47 PM

Which one is Erica and which one it Tina? To make it easy, what's the name of the pregnant one?

Erica is the pregnant one. I had to look it up though. :-)

NeedISayMore

NeedISayMore

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 9:36 PM

Ohhh that is tough. Erica definitely looks younger than Tina.

topanga

topanga

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 2:17 PM

Why did I cry like a little girl twice during this episode? The first time was when Tina's daughter was upset that her mom wouldn't be at her Glee club performance. The second time was when Tina's husband and kids surprised her at the hotel. Very special.

But I also laughed when Tina said she scared her children with her screaming. She's definitely the screamer in that singing duo.

The family dynamics are very nice. I will definitely watch it again.

But why does Tina's house look like a cozy home while Erica's house looks (on the outside) like a converted office building?

NeedISayMore

NeedISayMore

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 9:42 PM

Two shows in, and I'm really enjoying this show. I'm interested,eagerly awaiting the next episode and there's no cursing or whoring around. Love the families, the uptight manager and the angst surrounding realistic business and health situations.

ava1

ava1

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 4:47 PM

As an avid reality tv show watcher, I was pleasantly surprised with both the show and myself. Really enjoyed the show and am proud that I didn't need all the reality show B.S. to enjoy the show. I guess when you've been fed a steady diet of over-the-top drama, cursing, fights, etc. you're ready for something else. Very refreshing show!

80sBaby

80sBaby

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 12:13 AM

I am really enjoying this show. No fighting, drink throwing, dead beat husbands... It seems very real to me. The sister Goo needed to get over herself. I agreed with the manager when she brought up the retainer right after knowing they had to pay out 250,000 for canceling.

Apprentice79

Apprentice79

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 7:44 PM

This show is awesome, I am enjoying it immensely. I love the dynamic between the sisters.

PharmGal10

PharmGal10

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 11:52 AM

Goo Goo was so unprofessional. A tour was just canceled, your sister is 8 months pregnant, and everyone has to take a pay cut, but you think you shouldn't have to? Even though she is the sister, and the manager shouldn't have spoke for Tina and Erica, I do think he had a very good point in saying that if he has to pay cut as does everyone in his office and Mary Mary, she should have to take a pay cut, too.

mom23boys

mom23boys

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 7:55 AM

Goo Goo was definitely unprofessional and although they are sisters, their manager had every right going to her and letting her know about the pay cut. She should have taken it and kept her mouth shut. As far as business goes, business is business. They need to keep the family part out when they are handling their business.

ava1

ava1

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 12:45 PM

I'm with Tina about the whole pole dancing workout. But then again, I'm kind of a prude:-). Still even if I was interested in the workout I wouldn't have particpated for exactly the reason Tina gave. Yes, they were doing the workout on their own private time, but at the end of the day they are still part of a GOSPEL group and this workout was being filmed. As someone who sings in that category of music do you really want that image out there? All a blogger would have to do is take a still photo of one of them on a pole, put it on their website and someone who doesn't even watch the show would be like...What in the world is up with Mary Mary? Like she said, they get enough flack already. I know they need storylines for the show but I admired Tina for not even playing that game and sitting on the sidelines.

NeedISayMore

NeedISayMore

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 10:23 PM

Yes, I really liked what she said about not having her image out there, twirling around a pole. As long as the cameras are there, it is not a private workout, but a showcase.

I'm still loving this show. I noticed they said they hired Mitch not too long ago. I wonder if it had something to do with doing this show, because he rounds out this little ensemble just perfectly.

80sBaby

80sBaby

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 11:52 PM

Like she said, they get enough flack already. I know they need storylines for the show but I admired Tina for not even playing that game and sitting on the sidelines.

I agreed with Tina also. I'm no prude and I have actually taken a pole dancing workout class with some friends. It was really fun and quite a workout, but as gospel artists they are held to a different standard. Not saying they can't have fun but why open yourself up for scrutiny about something many church folks would have a problem with?? I don't think Tina thought it was wrong just crazy to do while being filmed and risk possible negative backlash.

topanga

topanga

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 3:20 PM

Tina's pregnant. Yikes. Mitch is going to have a cow.
But was it really accidental? A woman who is pretty sure she doesn't want more kids should use a more long-term form of birth control than the Pill: the IUD, vaginal ring, tubal ligation, or her husband could have gotten a vasectomy. And celebrities usually plan the birth of their children around events in their career.

One of the sisters-in-law doing the pole workout (Joi, Warren's sister) looked entirely too comfortable and skilled on that pole. Something tells me she's done it before.

Goo Goo is hooking up with a guy who lives across the country that she met on Facebook? Really? Does anyone in her life know him? I think Goo Goo feels very much in the shadow of Mary Mary and does things to get attention. I'm glad her sisters were concerned and grilled her about it.

PharmGal10

PharmGal10

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 3:35 PM

Tina and Erica's children are all around the same age. It seems like one gets pregnant, and then the other does shortly thereafter. Weird. Plus, when she was at Erica's drs appointment a couple of episodes back, Tina actually requested a pregnancy test while her sister was dealing with what appeared to be pre-term labor. Even Erica's hubby commented on that. I think there's some competitiveness between them, but it's not rooted in malice. Probably just regular sibling rivalry. When Tina was on the Wendy Show, she explicitly said she didn't want another child. I know they are religious, but I mean, if she didn't want more children, she should have been using protection.

I don't blame Tina for sitting out of the dancing session. The sisters have gotten flack over the years for being too secular. I remember Tina cussing someone out on twitter over something silly, and she got called out on a lot of black blogs for being a mouthy Christian. I can see why she wouldn't even want to risk her rep or her sister's rep for some silly dancing classes.

deelitefuldd

deelitefuldd

Video Archivist

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 8:40 AM

Anybody else watching this?

I was so confused last night about Erica and Warren's response to Tina's pregnancy. What did they want her to do? She was clearly not happy about the pregnancy, and since she can't get 'unpregnant' (her words), what was she to do? Tear her clothes and wear sack cloth? I understand about what the plan for the year was, but at this point, it is what it is. I like those two (E&W) and they seem to be really hard workers, but they really started to annoy me after a while.

And ladies, if you are planning to continue having relations with your husband, use protection; surely they have heard of this or is that forbidden in their denomination? I'm really thinking that Tina wanted to have another baby, but just didn't want to admit it.

Goo Goo, please let Justin go. He looks all of 12 years old compared to you.

I was somewhat of a fan of Mary Mary before this show, but I must admit that I am now a full-fledged fan. Guess I should go and buy the new CD now, huh?

ava1

ava1

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 12:17 PM

I also though Erica and Warren were a little harsh considering the fact that they just recently had to cancel their tour b/c of Erica. That said, not sure why Tina or Erica is surprised she's pregnant. Obviously Tina & Teddy do not use birth control b/c they did not mention their birth control failing. I understand that for religious/spritual reasons they might not want to use birth control, but if they don't they cannot be all that surprised at the outcome.

Not so sure about this Justin dude, especially since he's interested in the music biz. I hope he's not using her.

PharmGal10

PharmGal10

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 12:58 PM

I understand that for religious/spritual reasons they might not want to use birth control, but if they don't they cannot be all that surprised at the outcome.

Exactly. The way Tina was saying they didn't want anymore children and felt strongly about not having anymore children, I was so confused. I know they understand basic biology and anatomy. What were they doing to prevent a pregnancy? The pull-out method? I hope they know better than that.

prmami

prmami

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 1:38 PM

Whenever I see/hear the name Goo Goo I think of the old Nickelodeon show "My Brother and Me."

Jill Scott tweeted support for this show as a "real representation" which prompted a couple of the Braxton sisters to get in their feelings.

NeedISayMore

NeedISayMore

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 3:18 PM

They do use birth control. Before she took the 1st pregnancy test, she and her husband were talking and Tina said she had forgotten to take her birth control for whatever days, and that they were active during that time period.

PharmGal10

PharmGal10

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 3:36 PM

So they use birth control, just not religiously (heh)? That'll do it.

akahlf

akahlf

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 9:09 AM

Jill Scott tweeted support for this show as a "real representation" which prompted a couple of the Braxton sisters to get in their feelings.

A hit dog will holler! I've only seen a few minutes of this show, the one where they went out of town in a bus with their sisters. I was pleasantly surprised. This is what the Braxton sisters WISH they could be. After Trina announced, in front of her mother no less, that she enjoyed sucking on the knob of a man other than her husband, I fell out! BFV has gone downhill ever since, in my eyes. The drama with their deadbeat husbands, fledgling careers, fighting...I can't.

Mary Mary is good entertainment, and I agree with Jill Scott.

PharmGal10

PharmGal10

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 9:26 AM

I went to Jill's twitter, and she really didn't say anything that was worth Tamar getting upset about. I don't think Tamar realizes how poorly the Braxtons came off last season, and how refreshing it is to seeing a loving relationship between a group of sisters with values.