Dance Moms: Miami

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

335 replies to this topic

dvrsavedtv

dvrsavedtv

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 9:59 AM

I think Hannah is a bit on the chunky side. Her mother should worry more about her daughter's diet than her dance ability. Maybe she would dance better with a little less fat around her belly. It's surpising to see a young girl who supposedly dances everyday carrying so much extra weight.

Sammy and Hannah dancing together will ready highlight how bad Hannah is and her inability to finish moves like Sammy

Oh and they really should ease up on the makeup for Kimmy. She's look downright scary with all that makeup. Seeing her fresh faced is much better.

Edited by dvrsavedtv, Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:07 AM.

Trojangirldance

Trojangirldance

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 12:14 PM

I so prefer this over Dance Moms original. The technique of these dancers is so far above Abby Lee's that it is almost shameful but you also have instructors who actually demonstrate and can articulate exactly what they want from their dancers.

The "therapy" sessions I think is more about group bonding and would only be done with a competition team group, not a regular dance class. I say this only because a competition team you HAVE to work together otherwise it will all fall apart on stage, in rehearsals, everything. These kids obviously train a LOT so they are together a good deal, plus dance teams that compete become like families--you take your meals together, you travel together, you room together. You learn to burp and fart in front of one another you become so close. Crude but true. So what Victor and Angel are doing with the kids is having them bond, having them connect and it shows when they perform they are one cohesive unit.

So far I am impressed that Victor and Angel keep the focus on the DANCERS not mom drama. That is the problem with Abby Lee she wants to play into mom drama and is one of the main causes of the drama. Victor and Angel have their focus on their dancers and it shows because they win and they are amazing for their ages. If you were to put Maddie or even Chloe, whom I enjoy watching, against Kimmy or Lucas who are in their age bracket--they would get blown out of the water.

Tasya

Tasya

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 1:11 PM

I think it's really a case of different strokes for different folks. I have the exact opposite opinion regarding the talent level. Lucas and Kimmy looked like complete amateurs compared to Chloe and Maddie. I'd put up any of the girls duos against Kimmy and Lucas and I don't think it would even be a competition (Inside of Me vs that sad little Tango? no contest). When you have Angel and Victor saying that Kimmy isn't yet ready for a solo (even though they gave her one the next week), that says it all imho. Maddie and Chloe could dance circles around that entire team. The only thing they have over them is a more mature dance quality from Jessi and Sammi and a bit more refinement when it comes to extensions in the case of Maddie. The rest of the team is not even close to their level.

So far I have been really unimpressed with STARS. I realize that the kids participating on the show are not their top dancers, but you would think that they would have gotten a little bit better of a turn out. The only thing that I prefer with Miami over the original is Victor and Angel's handling of the mothers. They don't plan to take any crap from them, so they just walk away. Abby would be better served to employ the same policy. Arguing back and forth serves little purpose.

T Scrumptious

T Scrumptious

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 1:36 PM

I think Hannah is a bit on the chunky side. Her mother should worry more about her daughter's diet than her dance ability. Maybe she would dance better with a little less fat around her belly. It's surpising to see a young girl who supposedly dances everyday carrying so much extra weight.

We don't know what Hannah's diet is like. All kids are different, some lose weight easier than others, and some have more difficulty regardless of their activity levels. Maybe Hannah would be a better dancer if she lost weight, maybe not. She just might not have the natural talent to be like Sammi, Jessi, or Kimmy (ugh, what's with all the ie/i/y nicknames? It's not cute) It's impossible for us to know.

meatball77

meatball77

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 1:52 PM

And to say that a kid should quit the athletic activity they are in because of their weight. . .

Hannah is never going to be a ballerina. That doesn't mean she can't enjoy dancing while she's young. It's a great activity for her to be involved in. It sounds like she's just recently started training so much so I'd bet that if we get a second season that she will have slimmed down. It's also not uncommon for kids to thin out a bit once they hit the growth spurt that generally comes with puberty. I've seen a lot of kids slim down as they get into their teens if they're active.

kelslamu

kelslamu

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 2:54 PM

All of these moms are so immature. OMG, Jessi's mom crying because of the list! Bridgette is so transparent. The only mother I like is Ani and that's because she's the quietest. Whoever's mother that is that runs the desk seems to thrive on drama. She said for the moms to bring everything to her so that she could deal with it. I know that's not verbatim, but really lady?

Sugarwater

Sugarwater

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 2:56 PM

Whoever's mother that is that runs the desk seems to thrive on drama. She said for the moms to bring everything to her so that she could deal with it. I know that's not verbatim, but really lady?

She's Victor's mother.

kelslamu

kelslamu

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 3:10 PM

She's Victor's mother.

Thank you. I knew it was one of the coaches. Hannah's metabolism could be slower than most. She could also have a crappy diet. I don't think she's really big or anything. I just think it would help her movement if she did slim down. I think she will soon, as a poster above me said. She'll hit a growth spurt soon. My one son has my husband's metabolism and is thin while the other has my metabolism (poor kid) and isn't. He's not really big, but has a harder time with weight while doing the same things as my other son. It does kill me that Hannah knows people automatically judge her because of the dance world she's in. The girl dances because she enjoys it.

ascotgavotte

ascotgavotte

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 3:35 PM

I was rolling my eyes during the "therapy session" led by two dance teachers who aren't trained in psychiatry. But it did make me like Hannah a bit more because I relate to her problem. And the girl who said her insecurity was people thinking she was too perfect (Sammi?) is starting to grate. She was probably fed those lines by the producers though.

T Scrumptious

T Scrumptious

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 4:56 PM

Sammy is insufferable. 'Peeople judge me because they think I'm so tall and pretty" That's an insecurity? This episode she seemed uglier on the inside than Jessi originally did.

Absolom

Absolom

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 6:36 PM

I gave in and watched one more time. It didn't drive me was batty as last week. I do wish they'd costume Lucas better. It wouldn't detract from and might even make his dance look better. I didn't like the way they did the analysis with the kids either. They could team building that wasn't nearly as dicey as "confessions" like that. I was glad to see the older girls be good with the younger kids this time. The mothers seemed a hair less shrill or I'm blocking them better and the teachers a bit more centered.

Sammi looks like she could become handful if her mother isn't careful.

I wish each studio could have more variety within themselves on choreography.

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 6:47 PM

Somebody put a damn shirt on that kid!

Thadeeeyus

Thadeeeyus

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 8:18 PM

I'm not enjoying Sammi's dancing as much as that of Lucas and Kimmy. She seems angular and not very smooth in her solos. I do like the way Victor talked to the dancers before they went out to do their solos. He was very encouraging and even a little gentle.

I hate the interruption of the dances to show the moms and teachers in the audience. That part seems more jarring than in the other show.

Edited by Thadeeeyus, Apr 18, 2012 @ 8:27 PM.

Venee

Venee

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 8:36 PM

What competition were they at? I was wondering if some creative revelation of scores went on. I find it hard that Lucas and Sammi got nothing. I would think they would have at least placed in their styles or age groups. Good for Kimmie though! She's an impressive little dancer.

moreorlessnu

moreorlessnu

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 9:01 PM

I love the way when the instructors start to talk to the kids (when they are explaining a new dance, etc.), Kimmy is so attentive to what they are saying. It's amazing how focused she is for such a little girl.

kauaigirl

kauaigirl

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 9:04 PM

Aloha!

What is with wearing full-stage makeup at the rehearsals? It is distracting to see young dancers in heavy eye makeup, diva length eyelashes and foundation if they are just rehearsing at the studio. During that "therapy session", Hannah was crying and during one shot (before it was wiped away quickly) had black goop covering her face from it.

I can understand them having some makeup on for the cameras - but come on, that is way over the top!

Just don't care much for any of the "characters" in this show at this point - maybe it will grow on me....

Thadeeeyus

Thadeeeyus

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 9:16 PM

What competition were they at? I was wondering if some creative revelation of scores went on. I find it hard that Lucas and Sammi got nothing. I would think they would have at least placed in their styles or age groups....

If you search on Starbound, you can find the results. They were at the two CA comps in January. Be careful - you can also find results for comps that haven't aired.

meatball77

meatball77

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 9:53 PM

The comp they were at apparently had around 500 entries. I'm betting there were 40 solos in their category. If there happened to be one or two really good mega studios there it wouldn't be weird that they didn't win because they'd be competing against kids who were just as good as they are but who were well rehearsed. Sammi's choreography looked bad and Lucas seemed to have some major bobbles.

These kids are talented but there are kids that are just as talented in every city in the country. The reason they win all the time (both groups) is because they're only allowed to film at a couple competitions and these competitions are not the ones that the great studios are going to. When you compare them to groups that are well rehearsed they just can't compete.

The stage makeup in rehearsal drives me nuts. I get it when they're on stage, they don't need it in rehearsal. That must be something that production asks for with both groups doing it, the PA kids have at least gone more natural.

Edited by meatball77, Apr 18, 2012 @ 9:57 PM.

soapygirl

soapygirl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:32 PM

I think the major problem here is that these kids and moms (except for Sammy and Hannah) do not have history together and don't even know each other. I love the chemistry between the ALDC girls and the moms, even at their cattiest, have a long history of friendship, or at least the relationship of teammates. None of them would have been as nasty, or nasty at all, to any of the other kids as these moms are. Yes, Hannah's mom is delusional thinking her daughter is in the same league as some of the others. But, if one of the ALDC kids did something that was a milestone for them, as cracking top 5 was for Hannah, all of those moms would have been thrilled for them and had hugs and cheers for the girl, even if they make catty comments about the mom.

I'd agree. I also think that you get more charm/unforced cuteness from the ALDC girls. They come across as these normal, sweet kids for the most part. Maybe it's because the Stars kids are older but they seem to be a lot more aware that they're on TV and they're being filmed. Jessi in particular is completely 100% a reality show talking head.

Edited by soapygirl, Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:34 PM.

Jagged Angel

Jagged Angel

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 2:04 AM

Sammy is insufferable. 'People judge me because they think I'm so tall and pretty"

I can't help it. The first thing I thought when she said that was people think you're pretty? Really? She's just so ugly to me. Especially on the inside.

I love how Victor and Angel tell all the kids they're special...they're unique...own it...don't let anyone judge you...blah blah blah but then they have the List. I know the List and the pyramid on Dance Moms was just made up for the show but it's just so stupid.

T Scrumptious

T Scrumptious

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 5:08 AM

I can't help it. The first thing I thought when she said that was people think you're pretty? Really? She's just so ugly to me. Especially on the inside.

I don't think she's an ugly kid, she's pretty average looking...but that comment sure made her look ugly from the inside. She's definitely a lot cocky (Victor's mother was right when she said that last episode) but I don't think she's a nasty kid. I know we've heard from Hannah's mother that Sammi (Sammy?) is an asshole, but I'll reserve judgement for when I see it. Cocky, yes. Dick face? Not sure.

I did enjoy the small interaction we saw with Hannah and Sammy when Sammy finished her solo. Hannah must have congratulated her or something b/c we hear Sammy saying 'Thank you, Hannah" Which makes me think their history is also manufactured for drama's sake.

scarlett627

scarlett627

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:28 AM

For anyone who is curious, here are the competition results for last episode and the one before that. So far so good in the minimal manipulation department!

Kimmi is definitely my favorite Miami dancer. If she's not one of Stars best dancers now, she definitely has the potential to become one in the next few years. I could see her having a legit professional dance career. Plus, her storyline is the most interesting to me (I don't particularly care for the catty moms and kids). And when the kids were imitating their moms, I actually laughed at Kimmi's (probably producer-fed) "Would anyone like a peppermint?" line. It just seemed perfect.

Fabricationary

Fabricationary

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:39 AM

I love the way when the instructors start to talk to the kids (when they are explaining a new dance, etc.), Kimmy is so attentive to what they are saying. It's amazing how focused she is for such a little girl.

IIRC, Kimmy is the same age (9) as Maddie from the original show. Kimmy looks small for her age, though, maybe because she's rail-thin and has baby-voice tendencies.

Nittany84

Nittany84

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:48 AM

I don't think Hannah should have been cast. She clearly enjoys dancing, but she's not at the same level as the others, and having her on the show subjects her dancing and her body to unfair scrutiny. I worry that the experience and largely negative feedback is going to ruin her love of dance. Perhaps I am projecting: I gained a lot of weight just before and during puberty and ended up quitting gymnastics out of self-consciousness and because my new center of gravity robbed me of skills I had had for years. Now I regret that, because it was something I loved.

rlb8031

rlb8031

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:55 AM

Hannah and all the other kids on this show are dancing multiple hours per day, multiple days per week. While she could have a completely crappy diet, the odds are that she's not going to lose a ton of weight without some sort of drastic dietary change. It's not like she's sitting on a couch watching tv all day. I'd agree that she may just have a slower metabolism. If she decides to continue with dancing as she gets older, she will have to deal with the issues around body type and shape, but for now she's clearly and active child and unless we are shown some evidence that she has a truly out of wack diet, I'd stay away from urging her to lose weight because she's on a crappy reality show.

NoWhammies

NoWhammies

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 11:20 AM

There were parts of this episode I really loved. I love how affirming Victor is to the kids before they dance. I love their focus on developing the kids as artists. Loved the kids imitating their moms and really having a good time together. I actually liked this week's dance.

There's something about Kimmy that touches me. Watching her mom before her solo, you can really see where the poor kid gets that need to be perfect. I hope she can get away from that, or life is going to be tough for her.

Macthekat

Macthekat

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 1:03 PM

Hannah and all the other kids on this show are dancing multiple hours per day, multiple days per week. While she could have a completely crappy diet, the odds are that she's not going to lose a ton of weight without some sort of drastic dietary change. It's not like she's sitting on a couch watching tv all day. I'd agree that she may just have a slower metabolism. If she decides to continue with dancing as she gets older, she will have to deal with the issues around body type and shape, but for now she's clearly and active child and unless we are shown some evidence that she has a truly out of wack diet, I'd stay away from urging her to lose weight because she's on a crappy reality show.

I think this hit the nail on the head. Look at the shape of her Mom's body, notwithstanding her being overweight, but if her Mom weighed a lot less, she'd still have the same basic body type and shape. Genetics rules so many things with our bodies that if Hannah were to lose weight, she'd still have her same shape, just smaller. Some people will never have much of a waist due to their genetic build and I think Hannah and Jessi fall into this category.

meatball77

meatball77

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 9:30 PM

Here's one of Kimmie's solos

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=OhEbSK-38Hw

She's really good, amazing to see that much control in someone so young.

Coraltree

Coraltree

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 11:12 PM

Sammy needs some crest whitestrips, STAT.

Thadeeeyus

Thadeeeyus

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 2:14 PM

Here's one of Kimmie's solos

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=OhEbSK-38Hw

She's really good, amazing to see that much control in someone so young.

Thanks for this. BEAUTIFUL control.

Sammy needs some crest whitestrips, STAT.

It looks like she might have some of those braces that don't show up like the regular ones, but they can make the teeth look weird