Dance Moms: Miami

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

335 replies to this topic

chabelisaywow

chabelisaywow

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 2:07 AM

made her look like she was just flailing around instead of dancing.

I want to say no, really that's the best she has to offer.

kelslamu

kelslamu

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 2:30 AM

Maybe Hannah will have a growth spurt and that may help in the clunkiness department. I think the kid gives it her all.

astaire

astaire

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 6:31 AM

Yup - I don't remember which mom said it - but she was right when she said "4th place is an embarrassment"

Few people find a top five placement an embarrassment. Most are grateful for the recognition and as mentioned up thread, the top dancers do not always place. Placements are given for the overall high scores across all genres (ballet, tap, jazz, lyrical, contemporary, acro, novelty etc) for a particular age division, usually 8 and under, 9 - 11, 12-15 and 16+. Depending on the competition size there may be 20, 50 or 100+ solos in each age division.

Edited by astaire, Apr 13, 2012 @ 6:32 AM.

Nittany84

Nittany84

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 7:38 AM

The best part of Dance Moms Miami: So far, we haven't seen any chin stands, have we?

Though I think standing still and raising your leg high behind you might be the Miami equivalent.

meatball77

meatball77

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 8:07 AM

We haven't seen a single backflip either. . .

JenniferZ

JenniferZ

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 10:29 AM

The best part of Dance Moms Miami: So far, we haven't seen any chin stands, have we?

Though I think standing still and raising your leg high behind you might be the Miami equivalent.

I think you are right. And, although it is impressive the first time you see it, it shouldn't be so standard that people are figuring out that is your signature move by the 2nd show.

lipgloss

lipgloss

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 10:31 AM

I wonder if the bigger girl will be smaller by the end of the season. Shes not the shape of a high number of hours a week kid, maybe the show will help, she has got a real spark and strong work ethic.

Its sad these kids were cast individually as its the friendships between the girls on the original that lifts the show and makes it tolerable.

Trophy grabber scares me, shes weepy so much and and the rest of the time shes so blank.

Edited by lipgloss, Apr 13, 2012 @ 10:32 AM.

T Scrumptious

T Scrumptious

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 11:34 AM

"Core-ography", it's the new "cosh-tume"!

I thought they were saying crography. Either way it bothered me! More so than the lisping kids.

They show such edited versions of the dances that it's hard to figure out if the choreography is good or not.

I just watched those links posted uplink. THey're all good dancers and the choreography (sorry, crography) is interesting, but I find it a lot less entertaining than the Abby Lee dancers'. It works for some of the kids, but others I think would do better with more flow and such. I know this is the new trend, but it works well for adults (and Lucas, actually) more so than Kimmy and Sammy.

WelcomeStranger

WelcomeStranger

Couch Potato

• Interests:"And therefore as a stranger give it welcome.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
    Shakespeare, "Hamlet" Act 1, Sc. 5, lines 165-167

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 3:07 PM

I know I have seen Victor somewhere before. And not on SYTYCD. Has he been on anything else?

For you and the other person who asked if Victor was on SYTYCD, the answer is: Season 6:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=7u6EeZPc5Mw

The most memorable (for me) dance he did with a partner was this Tyce D'Orio jazz thing...

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=v8yizr5T5gA

I wish they'd cover Lucas up a little more. I fear screencaps of him in his little purple sparkly shorts doing muscle poses with that scrawny chest are probably already major pedo fodder.

Between Lucas' hot pants and and Justice's untucked minister outfit, I wish these studios could find a happy medium in costuming these petite/junior-aged boys. While Lucas was too bare, Justice had so much shirt billowing around we couldn't see his upper body at all. C'mon, coaches, you can do better.

That said, I find both Justice and Lucas cuter than a kitten's nose. If I ever met either of them in person, I'd have to restrain myself from assaulting them with hugs like some long-lost psycho aunt.

AvoidingWork

AvoidingWork

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 3:35 PM

I just don't like this. I am absolutely addicted to the original DM, but this show just isn't doing anything for me except making me roll my eyes, and not in the "you're crazy but I love you" way the Pittsburgh crew does.

I think the major problem here is that these kids and moms (except for Sammy and Hannah) do not have history together and don't even know each other. I love the chemistry between the ALDC girls and the moms, even at their cattiest, have a long history of friendship, or at least the relationship of teammates. None of them would have been as nasty, or nasty at all, to any of the other kids as these moms are. Yes, Hannah's mom is delusional thinking her daughter is in the same league as some of the others. But, if one of the ALDC kids did something that was a milestone for them, as cracking top 5 was for Hannah, all of those moms would have been thrilled for them and had hugs and cheers for the girl, even if they make catty comments about the mom.

Jessi is just creepy and scary, and her mom is out of control. Lucas is adorable and I thought his mom was ok but we saw her inner b*tch come out this week. Hannah should just do recreational dance and shine, she doesn't care about competing except to please her mom. Sammy can go join ALDC, she and her mom would fit in. And Kimmy and her mom, I can't get a feel for them - they don't get much screen time I guess because they aren't crazy enough. I like Victor but his mom is way out of line and should stay behind the desk. Angel....not sure yet.

If they put this group together specifically for the show, why not cluster the ages a little more? Jessi could eat Kimmy in two bites, no way should they be in a small group together.

Oh and yes, please put a shirt on Lucas at least sometimes...no wonder the poor kid feels like he has to work out!

chabelisaywow

chabelisaywow

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 4:41 PM

Placements are given for the overall high scores across all genres (ballet, tap, jazz, lyrical, contemporary, acro, novelty etc) for a particular age division, usually 8 and under, 9 - 11, 12-15 and 16+. Depending on the competition size there may be 20, 50 or 100+ solos in each age division.

Wow - taking even the smallest number of solos, you mean there is someone out there that was worse than Hannah and got a medal, ribbon, whatever and 15 other girls that didn't get anything?

I admire her tenaciousness, but when I watch Hannah "dance" it's like watching a fish that jumped out of its bowl flop around the floor.

Edited by chabelisaywow, Apr 13, 2012 @ 4:49 PM.

divingin

divingin

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 5:45 PM

Hannah = Vivi-anne + a few years

I'm no dance expert, but I think Hannah has much more grace (and Hannah's not at all graceful, so that's saying a lot), she can remember choreography and participate in a group dance as an equal and not as a human prop, and she doesn't have that terrible forced smile - Vivi's forced smile is just painful. I'd take Hannah dancing any day over Vivi "dancing" - I'm not even sure I'd call what Vivi does dancing. She is a sweet child and probably more intelligent than they edit her to be, but she needs to be out on a softball field and not in the studio, where she's clearly unhappy.

Linds09

Linds09

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 5:51 PM

I actually think that the Miami moms need Abby Lee from Philly to whip them into shape. I know it's probably for tv, but they annoy me so I'd like to see her just come yell at them. Also, Victor and Angel seem like awesome teachers so I'd like to see them come to Philly to teach those kids for a while because they'd actually show them some really good styles,plus a Lucas/Paige duet would be adorable. I'd love to see some of Abby Lee's kids learn something besides chin stands and see those kids learn the jazz funk styles that these kids do. I think I like Lucas, Kimmie, and the teachers the best on this version. The rest are just annoying. Especially trophy grabber and her super annoying mom.

T Scrumptious

T Scrumptious

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 6:35 PM

Also, Victor and Angel seem like awesome teachers so I'd like to see them come to Philly to teach those kids for a while because they'd actually show them some really good styles,plus a Lucas/Paige duet would be adorable.

Paige is WAAAYYYY too tall to dance with Lucas. Lucas would pair well with Maddie or Mackenzie, except Kenzie isn't advanced enough for him. Actually, if they re-made the groups with both schools and had Gianna, Victor, and Angel as choreographers, this should would be awesome.

Kimmy
Mackenzie
Maddie
Paige
Chloe
Lucas
Sammy

Jessi
Brooke
Peyton

And a few others.

I feel bad for leaving out Nia and Hannah, but they're not as good. They can dance in another group with dancers more matched to their skill...although Nia is slightly better than Hannah, both girls are good emoters and I think they'd dance well together.

meatball77

meatball77

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 7:36 PM

Wow - taking even the smallest number of solos, you mean there is someone out there that was worse than Hannah and got a medal, ribbon, whatever and 15 other girls that didn't get anything?

There are many (I'd even say most) girls who compete solos and will never score in the overalls. They're just competing against themselves (to try to do better each week) and hoping to receive a good adjudicated score (they give ribbons or pins with these adjudicated score on them). Even more so if you're a dancer who competes at a mega studio that attends tough competitions. If there are 15 dancers in your age group and you're in the middle of your group (like say Paige) and you're attending a competition with three studios that have many dancers that are just as good (and then several studios that are good and have one or two good dancers) as you even breaking into the top ten can be a huge accomplishment. Knowing the kids that Hannah usually dances with I'd bet that she's never even come close to getting fourth and probably hasn't broken the top ten. The reason that we see these dancers on the show always placing is because they're going to competitions that are filled with recreational studios where the dancers train 5 hours a week while these girls are all training 15-20.

CoCoYoYo

CoCoYoYo

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 8:35 PM

I actually think that the Miami moms need Abby Lee from Philly to whip them into shape. I know it's probably for tv, but they annoy me so I'd like to see her just come yell at them. Also, Victor and Angel seem like awesome teachers so I'd like to see them come to Philly to teach those kids for a while because they'd actually show them some really good styles,plus a Lucas/Paige duet would be adorable

Linds09, Abby Lee is near Pittsburgh, PA. That's a good 300 miles from Philadelphia, PA. She's SO not Philly LOL

Linds09

Linds09

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 7:29 AM

Eh I figured that. I was on the fence as to whether or not to type Pittsburgh or Philly. At least I didn't type coshtume ;) Either way, I still want Abby Lee in Miami stat to yell at those moms. TV storyline or no tv storyline. They are annoying as hell- especially Trophy Grabber mom. And I'd like to introduce the majority of them to waterproof mascara and inside voices. Shrieking all the time is not cool.

Thadeeeyus

Thadeeeyus

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 8:42 AM

I'll be watching this show in spite of the horrible fake moms. You can fake arguments, catty behavior and screw-ups in dances, but you can't fake beautiful dancing, and I saw some lovely dancing with Lucas, Sammy and Kimmy. It's so nice to see dancing without the acro. Hope they can keep that up for the duration of the show.

Thanks for the information on Victor and sytycd. It's funny that I remember Channing in that dance, but not Victor, and he lasted longer.

Edited by Thadeeeyus, Apr 15, 2012 @ 9:14 AM.

Jagged Angel

Jagged Angel

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 2:08 PM

For you and the other person who asked if Victor was on SYTYCD, the answer is: Season 6:

No...it must have been somewhere else I saw Victor. The only time I've watched SYTYCD was the season Pasha was on. And that was only during the Top Ten.

I disagree with the parent who said she would be embarrassed by her child coming in fourth place. For Hannah, that was good.

Not to mention they didn't have the right cut of her music so she had to improv an extra 20 seconds or something like that. I would have freaked out.

Sammi was pretty good, but she is catching flies with her mouth open! It was so distracting to watch that big gaping mouth!

She creeps me out when she smiles. She looks like a piranha.

I've just gotta say it. With the exception of Lucas, these are some of the whitest kids I've ever seen. And they live in Miami! I guess they are inside all day dancing or doing homework, etc.

becw182

becw182

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 8:04 PM

http://www.youtube.c...d&v=8oQX_KT73IE

The full dance of City Boy without the stupid editing, it looks much better but still isnt cohesive IMO... and honestly those shorts are so off-putting. Hes a little boy, chuck top on him :P

moreorlessnu

moreorlessnu

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 8:31 PM

When all 4 girls are dancing the same steps together, you can see that Sammy and Kimmy are actually very good.

meatball77

meatball77

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 9:22 PM

Kimmy is only nine. She is AMAZING both in her technique and her artistry. She's my favorite

AvoidingWork

AvoidingWork

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 10:00 PM

Not for nothing, but is there not enough money in the costume budget for Lucas to dance in something other than boxer briefs?

meatball77

meatball77

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 10:09 PM

Not that I've seen a lot of boys dancing (there's 1 for every 100 girls at competitions) but I've never seen one wearing so little clothes, and in every dance. . . .

PLEASE buy Lucas some pants and a shirt.

Glad to see Jessi wasn't in that horrid style sports bra this weekend.

spanana

spanana

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 10:46 PM

I need to concentrate on Sami in group dances because there is something about her solos I hate. I can't figure out if I just don't enjoy watching her as a dancer or if it's the choreography. Then again, I hesitate to say anything bad about a kid, but there is something about Sami that bugs . Though I realize this is edited and she's most likely repeating lines that she is being fed. For some reason she bothers me more than Jessi.

Kimmy is too cute. She is really very good.

The whole time I was trying to imagine Abby sitting the girls down to talk about their feelings and insecurities.

Jagged Angel

Jagged Angel

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 11:07 PM

If it's true that Hannah's Mom got kicked out of their last studio I wonder what it was for? And if it's true that she asked Victor and Angel to sabotage Sammy's choreography they should have kicked her out of their studio. If I were them, I would have been offended. Isn't Sammy representing them? She dances under the studio name doesn't she? And their name is on the choreography. Why would she think they would even consider sabotaging one of their dances? If Sammy wins...they win.

At first, I liked Kimmy's Mom and thought she was the sanest one of the bunch. After this week I think she needs to calm the f*** down. And what good is it to ask Kimmy if she's o.k. with not having time to stretch or go thru her dance when there's nothing they can do about it. You're just getting the kid more worked up. And I hate when Jessi is always on the bottom of the List and her Mother cries too. Get over it.

And I agree. Put some clothes on Lucas. Please!!!

spanana

spanana

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 11:32 PM

None of the moms really came off well. I don't trust Debbie and if she did ask Angel and Victor to sabotage choreography that's horrible, but Sami's mom seems shady as well. I'm not sure I'd really trust her word of what went down at the other studio either. She seems to be too much into her role as innocent victim mom. Then you had Lucas' mom who seemed to enjoy stirring up the drama between Debbie and the other one. Jessi's mom is always crazy and while Kimmy's mom seemed to be more removed from that drama, clearly she has some other issues as well, which likely explains Kimmy's drive to be a perfectionist.

Edited by spanana, Apr 17, 2012 @ 11:38 PM.

Cynthia24

Cynthia24

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 1:29 AM

Did anyone else noticed how much effort they put into hiding Hannah at the beginning of the group dance? Up until they rip the words off their outfits, Hannah is not shown except from the back. And, when they're backstage practicing, everyone is wearing their "insecurities" except Hannah, who has "unique" still showing. There's one shot backstage (very brief, which I only noticed because I was trying to figure out what Hannah's insecurity word was) that shows that Hannah's outfit has an AT at the end, and I'm sure that her outfit says "I am FAT." But what I don't understand is why they refused to show this on the show.

I was upset by this. The entire point of this episode was supposedly to allow the girls to accept their insecurities and embrace them. Fact is, Hannah is overweight, unlike the other girls. But, she is active and works hard and her weight should not be an issue. Why is the show going to these lengths to hide the fact that Hannah is uncomfortable about her weight? I think it was very brave of her to admit this to her friends and teammates and I don't think she should be ashamed of some extra pounds, but the show refused to admit the fact that she felt this way. Every other dancer had a close up with their insecurity proudly displayed, except Hannah. There are even a number of shots of the beginning of the dance (before the insecurities were ripped off) where the four dancers, all except Hannah, were shown in the shot.

I really liked the fact that the show addressed the girls' insecurities, and it highly raised my opinion of the show, up until the editors acted as if they were ashamed of Hannah's insecurity as opposed to the others'. Did anyone else have a problem with this?

dmmetler

dmmetler

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 7:38 AM

I'm calling producer intervention on the kids mocking their mothers in the dressing room (although Jessi clearly has hers nailed-those are some of the most naturally delivered lines she's had on the show) with Angel sitting there laughing. As a parent, I wouldn't be at all happy with an authority figure who encouraged my child to act in a disrespectful manner to me, and I wouldn't be paying that person large sums of money each month!

I also noticed the show dancing around the word "fat"-I imagine it took some careful editing, and maybe some re-shoots to get Hannah's concern about being judged for her looks, not her dancing, without the word "Fat" in there-because I'm SURE that's her first fear. I like seeing Hannah, as an overweight child, out there dancing in a competition team at her weight, and I like seeing a kid who is HAPPY about placing 4th, not upset by it, because for her that's an accomplishment(it's the same reason I often root for Nia on DMP)-but is it so shocking that the child who has the biggest BMI number in the group would be worried about being fat and being judged on being fat, especially in an activity that's SO focused on body shape?

I do have to wonder-do Victor and Angel teach dance, or lead a therapy group? This is two weeks in a row they've sat down and done group therapy exercises with the kids. It's definitely a different style than Abby's "suck it up and cry into your pillow"-but again, I don't know that this is something I'd choose in a dance instructor, who likely has little or no formal training in how to manage this. I know that this is exactly the kind of thing that was discouraged in my educational psych classes precisely BECAUSE teachers don't have enough training in that area to manage it if it really goes south fast.

meatball77

meatball77

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 8:11 AM

I think the group sessions are to get the kids to bond as a group and this week to help them understand the piece.

Hannah getting kicked out of her studio because of her mother though. . . if that's true (and it happens) it's generally because the mom is over demanding with the teachers and rude and disrespectful to other moms to the point where multiple parents want the kid gone.

Edited by meatball77, Apr 18, 2012 @ 8:53 AM.