Dance Moms: Miami

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

335 replies to this topic

Absolom

Absolom

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 9:57 PM

This show feels even more forced and staged to me than the original Dance Moms. Quite possibly because it was more cast than found. I definitely have nothing drawing it to me to watch again.

Starrla

Starrla

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 10:05 PM

Victor was on SYTYCD, no? He looked really familiar...

KringleSlice

KringleSlice

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 10:57 PM

Did anyone else find it odd that Kimmy (or her mom said it about her - can't remember) said she wakes up at 4 am to finish her homework and get ready? That seems crazy early for a 9 year old!

kelslamu

kelslamu

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 2:07 AM

Yes, I caught the 4 am wake up. I wonder how late the dance classes go. That is a crazy time for a 9 yr old to get up. Not only did she do homework that early, but had to make her bed or it would bug her. lol

I thought Victor came off as cartoonish. I guess they did know the moms from some previous experience with them, but they acted as if they deemed them completely bonkers right away. From the previews and online, I thought they didn't have any real experience with any of the kids or moms prior to filming this. I guess they were right about them being nuts though.

becw182

becw182

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 4:01 AM

A couple of the girls were a bit chunky and that's got to be an issue in dance

I have been reading a blog from a girl who dances there, and she said the instructors arent shy about talking to the girls about going on diets- apparently Hannah has been talked to. who else did you think?

That pink sports bra Jessi was wearing the first day was way too revealing IMO. It was one cm away from a wardrobe malfunction... strangely Maddie off DMP was seen wearing exactly the same top but it fitted her

LuckyStar311

LuckyStar311

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 9:32 AM

Just watched on On Demand. Victor is indeed a SYTYCD Alum and I enjoyed seeing him again. Also, one of the judges for the Hollywood Vibe competition was Melissa, from SYTYCD Season 5, top 3 girls. I was not very impressed with their "edgy, dark" choreography so I'm hoping better things come out of them over this season. I'll watch. :)

LauraGilmore

LauraGilmore

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 11:20 AM

A couple of the girls were a bit chunky and that's got to be an issue in dance

I have been reading a blog from a girl who dances there, and she said the instructors arent shy about talking to the girls about going on diets- apparently Hannah has been talked to. who else did you think?

That pink sports bra Jessi was wearing the first day was way too revealing IMO. It was one cm away from a wardrobe malfunction... strangely Maddie off DMP was seen wearing exactly the same top but it fitted her

Yeah I was thinking Jessi and Hannah were both a little on the chunkier side. I feel horrible saying that. I am not one to normally make comments about children's weights especially ones who haven't had their final growth spurts (as I am thinking Hannah as not) But as dancers I thought you had to be relatively... thin or at least average. I don't know a thing about dance though! And I also figured if they are dancing for hours and hours a week that it would help them become/stay thinner.

And Jessi's bra thing she was wearing was definitely not the right size. It just didn't look right to me.

meatball77

meatball77

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 1:17 PM

There are plenty of chunkier girls who are involved in competition dance. The judges aren't going to score you differently because of your weight (as opposed to a casting agent). Those girls are limited in their ability to find work as dancers after high school (generally confined to teaching) but aside from it posing a problem for costuming (hannah would not look good in a two piece costume) as long as their body isn't causing them problems with their movement they're fine.

HelloPatti

HelloPatti

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 3:23 PM

I'm on the fence about this show - I did like the instructors and I particularly loved the guy's mama running the studio (did anybody else notice her standing around whenever the instructors were talking to parents? I'm thinking witness protection in case of legal problems)

I liked that the instructors sent the girls out when they were fighting with the moms. Also, about the "thicker"girls - it appeared that most of these girls were older than the original Dance Moms kids. Plus Miami is a more ethnic culture - being a thicker woman down here is not as big a deal in Hispanic culture.

Abby Lee is always harping about being hireable - in Pittburgh. But in Miami there are tons of opportunities for dancers, between videos, performance art, dancing at sporting events (Marlins/Dolphin games, parades, etc). Plus there's a higher standard for dancing here IMHO. Many people in the South Florida area: a) have LOTS of money to burn, b) are married to or related to celebrities and c) lots of former celebs work here.

Geekgurl01

Geekgurl01

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 7:07 PM

Are there any actual dance moms reading this board? No, I don't mean from the shows, but real people who's kids participate in dance teams. Anyway, after watching this and the original DM, I was wondering if the list or Abby Lee's pyramid is a standard practice of a competitive dance team or a plot device from Lifetime. It seemed too coincidental to be random.

Callasin

Callasin

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 7:29 PM

In the Dance Moms thread it was mentioned that the pyramid was put in by Lifetime and is not something Abby normally does.

Geekgurl01

Geekgurl01

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 7:35 PM

Ah, thank you Callasin.

meatball77

meatball77

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 7:56 PM

No dance teacher would make a pyramid like that. I've heard of teachers placing kids in formations and in class based on how the child dances and being obvious about why but no one would do pictures and change it each week.

Real dance kids are placed in technique class and then in dance routines for competition which are then rehearsed generally half an hour a week and then competed 3-6 times during the year. The choreographers will places the kids based on what they want, some kids are always mostly in the back, others are always featured and usually they move around so everyone is seens. If you have a solo or duet in September you'll get to perform it at every competition (aside from conventions where entries are limited) along with all the other group numbers that you're doing. My studio has 107 entries this year with kids being in anywhere from 2 dances (the brand new five and six year olds) to 15 or 16 (our elite teen and senior dancers).

That's the thing that's the most different about the show. We never see the kids when they're actually in class and they learn a new routine every week and go to a competition every week instead of working on new routines that are perfected throughout the year. The other thing is the size and age of the groups. Kids are placed in groups that are of similar technique and age and generally are in groups of multiple sizes. My daughter this year is in a trio, a small group with six kids that are all seven and eight, a large group of tap with ten kids from 5-8 and a line (group larger than 20 kids) with 22 kids from 5-10. You would never see a kid like Mackenzie in the same group as a kid like Brooke or even Chloe unless there were 20 kids onstage (and in that case Mackenzie would be in the back bopping her hips while Chloe was featured in the front).

-----------

The pyramid or list is good for the show because it infuses drama into every episode from the start.

Edited by meatball77, Apr 6, 2012 @ 7:57 PM.

becw182

becw182

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 5:39 AM

How annoying was Hannahs mum when she kept rolling her eyes... ugh

SleepyJean

SleepyJean

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 11:55 AM

I agree with just about everything that's been said. Liked Victor and Angel, hated Jessi's mom in particular, and don't find the kids particularly interesting, except for Kimmy, who I find adorable.

I thought Victor's "illness" was a little overplayed, but whatever. Clearly the man felt like sh!t. He should've stayed home, had some fluids, and got some rest.

Why do the girls wear their hair in a bun right smack on the top of their heads like that? I've never seen that before. It's not cute.

The moms didn't bug me quite as much as on the Pittsburgh show. The Miami moms give off a vibe of being a little more savvy about dance and the industry. I don't know where I get that from, it's just a feeling. It certainly looks like they're going to be more competitive and vicious than the P'burgh moms, who just sit around whining and talking about their (lack of) friendship. The Miami moms don't give a sh!t about each other. I can easily see one of them paying some dude to do a Tonya Harding on the competition.

Jessi's pink top (scroll down) was unflattering, in poor taste, and beyond distracting. She doesn't have boobs, so it's not like it was particularly sexy, if that's what she was going for. But I cringed inwardly every time I saw her in that pink top, expecting her nipples to pop out and wave "hello" at any moment. The fact that they didn't is a minor miracle.

AvoidingWork

AvoidingWork

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 12:15 PM

I'm a real dance mom. Our studio is small and not super competitive like Abby Lee or Stars, but our girls work hard and do well at competitions. Our studio owner and teachers roll their eyes with the rest of us at antics like the pyramid. While there are clearly different ability levels and certain kids are featured more than others in our dances, our studio would never do something as blatant as the pyramid/list and neither would any other, I can imagine. Totally manufactured for TV.

dmmetler

dmmetler

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 12:20 PM

Pulling hair up into a bun lets the instructor clearly see the lines of the body and neck and keeps the hair out of the way, and if your hair is at all fine, it tends to stay better in a high bun than a low one. It's a pretty common requirement for dance classes at studios which are at all formal.

I question whoever was making the costuming/rehearsal wear choices for the show. Jessi's top looked fine on Maddie, who has no curves, but not on Jessi. I assume that they're trying to make the "best/favored dancer" connection between the two girls, but it was NOT a good choice.

meatball77

meatball77

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 12:51 PM

Why do the girls wear their hair in a bun right smack on the top of their heads like that? I've never seen that before. It's not cute.

It's the new in thing (along with absurd braided styles) in dance hair. A couple years ago it was the half up half down with the bump. My daughters group does the big bun at the top of the crown which I think looks so much better than right in the middle of the head.

I do see the teen girls with those obnoxious ponytails and buns at school and at dance. It seems to be the go to lazy style and generally looks horrible.

That pink top was horrible. It just fit horribly and was badly proportioned.

His sassy kitte

His sassy kitte

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 1:44 PM

Hmmm, it's just been one show, but I too don't find the dances as well executed as the original Dance Moms. Time will tell I guess.

Oh and Angel, if you can talk smack about the Moms, then don't tuck your tail and run when you should confront a student (giving Jessie the side eye) about her unsportsmanlike behavior at the Awards Ceremony. I guess now we know he's also scared of Jessie's crazy mom.

T Scrumptious

T Scrumptious

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 9:34 PM

Who designed that shirt anyway? Why are the sleeves so much bigger than the chest part? Was it just that it's too small? Jessi is on the bigger side, she's not fat, but she's very tall and athletic. Is that why it looked so bad? I'm glad I wasn't the only one who was bothered by it.

Jagged Angel

Jagged Angel

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 9:11 PM

Meh. Basically, the same show but different city. This time around though the instructors seem alright and the kids seem horrible. One thing I hate is the instructors put down the kids Mother's right in front of them like Abby does. There's no way in hell I would have ever let anyone talk about my Mother like that. Especially in front of me and other kids. Then again, my Mother would never have acted like those crazy bitches act.

spanana

spanana

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 9:25 PM

I'm still torn here. The talking heads of the kids seem even more stilted here than they do on the original Dance Moms. I'm not sure if it's the kids in question or what, but they are all so monotone when they talk. If they are delivering lines, then somebody needs to help them infuse a little bit of personality or something.

I still like the instructors better than Abby in the sense that they seem genuinely proud of all the kids when they do well, but I'm not a fan of the fighting over choreography and etc. in front of the kids, especially if it puts said kid in the middle.

I also am still not a fan of blasting the parents in front of the kids, though these parents are crazy enough to likely warrant it. However at the very least Victor and company don't seem to be holding the antics of the parents against the children.

meatball77

meatball77

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:02 PM

The craziest one is the dance teachers mom although Susan isn't far behind.

Jessi needs to go to the store and buy some tops that are in her size. All of her tops are too small.

I love Lucas, Hannah and Kimmie. What's with the lisps? I heard multiple girls with them tonight (Hannah and Kimmie). Is that an ESL thing with kids whose first language is Spanish just causing them to pronounce some words strangely?

chabelisaywow

chabelisaywow

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 1:20 AM

I love how Sammi said she's not afraid of competing against Hannah because she feels she has better "technique". Okay Sammi be honest and say you're not afraid of competing against Hannah because she's a friggin butterball turkey with legs. That red top made her looked like a trussed Thanksgiving bird.

truconfession

truconfession

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 1:52 AM

I think Lucas is an adorable little kid and quite good at his dancing. Comparing him to Justice DMP is no contest to me. Maybe it has to do with the choreo but I felt that Lucas has done much better dancing then Justice in the few times I have seen each.

Sammyís pony tail distracted me her entire number making it difficult to concentrate on anything else.

The group number was okay but was saved by little Lucas for me. He was hamming it up in the center and had me smiling through out.

I donít know if they just donít have a lot of drama to fill an episode but the cutting and replaying of certain parts of the dance has to go. It was most visible in Sammyís and the group number. It was a mess and distracting. I still donít understand why the cant just station the camera in front the stage and hit record.

For Hannah Iím just going to say it. Hannahís weight as a dancer* is distracting to me.

To me its clear Hannah is missing a lot technically. Which I am assuming is contributing to her being so heavy/clunky looking while dancing. She hasnít reached that weightless stage were she moves with grace.

She is also bigger and thus appears sloppier because she is pulling around less solid weight the say someone like Nia from DMP. Nia is bigger/thicker then her classmates but she is solid. Hannah is not so to me she appear even sloppier and her lines even less clean(not sure if this is the right terminology) then if she were just missing the technique.

* I want to note that I mean this strictly as a dancer. As an everyday child I think her weight is likely fine. Its just that with her type of dance, her flubby(Iím sorry itís the only word I can think of to describe her) body is an added distraction to what she is already lacking.

whitless256

whitless256

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 6:05 AM

The group number was okay but was saved by little Lucas for me. He was hamming it up in the center and had me smiling through out.

Lucas, for me, is the best part of this show. That kid is a performer right down to the core and I love it. And he has the ability to back it up. Even just watching him in the opening credits makes me smile every time.

It was nice to see Jessi being more supportive of the littler kids and I hope it wasn't just an act because she got scolded about it. It seemed genuine. She was backstage with each of the solos giving them encouragement when they were about to go on and she was hugging Sammy while waiting for the solo placements to be announced. I think her crazy mom is much of her problem when it comes to attitude.

And what was with Mayra being such a bitch backstage? While I do think the moms can be too sensitive, I cringed at "even Hannah" a bit myself.

CCC1983

CCC1983

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 7:33 AM

How cute is Lucas! He rocked that "City Boy" dance, and then the flowers he gave to Sammi after her solo...so sweet. I enjoy watching Angel and Victor. I especially like how they give the kids words of encouragement backstage right before their performance and constructive criticism and praise (when deserved) afterwards. Very refreshing change from Abby (though if she suddenly changed her teaching style DMP wouldn't be as interesting to me).

Venee

Venee

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 12:08 PM

Tuned in for the first time, as I admit to having withdrawal from Dance Moms 1. It' s a different vibe , as most have mentioned, but I'll give it a chance. Here's my thoughts:

How confusing was Sammi's solo rehearsal? Both teachers arguing back and forth as she was trying to learn the choreography, I wonder how often that happens.

Sammi has some big titles it seems, they sounded legit (those in the know can jump in on that one).

My favorite dance so far was Lucas and Kimmie's duet. I was impressed with how mature they both looked, while being so young.

I love Lucas! I can't wait to see him 10 years from now. I think he'll be stunning.

Hannah's Mom is delusional.

Jessie's Mom can take it down 10 notches and still be obnoxious. I don't understand Jessi's childish behavior either. I'm not sure what kind of dancer she is as I don't remember seeing enough of her to form an opinion.

Victor and Angel are interesting. They seem quite typical of what you would expect to see. Hard in the practice room, but encouraging at competition times. I like them! It's also nice that they can do what they are asking their dancers to do for a change.

deadpanlady

deadpanlady

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 12:52 PM

Venee, I agree with you about Jessi's behavior being childish. I was really annoyed by her petulant "Sorry" that she was forced to give. My mom would've made me straighten up my face before I got in there and specifically apologize for what I did ("I'm sorry for snatching the trophy away like that."). Maybe it was the way her hair was pulled tightly, but that mean expression on her face the whole time was on my nerves. Not that her natural reaction wouldn't be to cry because she was embarrassed, but as the oldest girl, she should have handled the situation better. And her mom can GTFOH with her nerve asking of Jessi could do a solo.

kauaigirl

kauaigirl

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 12:59 PM

Aloha!

I watched this last nite for the first time. I was unimpressed with the cast in general. While I liked the fact that the teachers actually can dance and show the students the moves, the little girls and one little boy just didn't draw me in initially.

The mothers, oy vey! And I thought the other "Dance Mom's" were bad! These are just on the crazytrain and it isn't interesting to watch at all, just thoroughly unlikeable.

I might watch it one more time to see if the children grow on me, but at this point, I don't care for the style of dance they have at this studio and there seems to be a real "disconnect" with the dancers as well, apprently since they were only brought together for the show, and don't know each other well.