Dance Moms: Miami

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

335 replies to this topic

Nittany84

Nittany84

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 5:45 PM

99% of the moms' problems is they spend too much time sitting in that room with nothing to do. I don't understand why the parents have to watch every class/rehearsal. Is that a requirement? Are they worried that their kids will get kidnapped if there are no chaperones?

I think that it is a requirement for those on the show, not for all dance parents. The producers want them to spend all that time in the room with nothing to do so they'll fight.

meatball77

meatball77

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 6:42 PM

The dancers/teachers have said that they are required to be there because of their contract with the show. That's why there was the problem with Nia's mother not showing up in the last DM season.

The only classes that most parents stay around for (once their kids are old enough to handle their shoes alone) are solos/trios and even then they're not likely to stick around for every class.

I've had dances that I hadn't seen at all in person until they went on stage because the class wasn't at the end of the day and I only go into the studio if I'm picking her up.

Edited by meatball77, Jun 5, 2012 @ 6:45 PM.

akrobat

akrobat

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 3:49 PM

Are they worried that their kids will get kidnapped if there are no chaperones?

My mom sat through every dance class I had for years for this reason. I danced at a studio near where Adam Walsh was kidnapped and she thought I'd get snatched by the same guy if she wasn't there.

In my limited experience you have all types - moms who gleefully drop off their child and run as fast as they can to have some needed alone time (gym, shopping) and others who sit there for the entire hour. I sometimes watch my daughter but usually I go and do my own thing. I can completely understand why the producers require the moms to be there and quite frankly I'd rather the drama come from them sitting in the studio than contrived situations outside the studio. At least them sitting in the studio makes some sense.

AvoidingWork

AvoidingWork

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 9, 2012 @ 7:46 PM

Yes - to repeat what has been said - the moms sitting there watching is totally staged and set up for the show. My daughter dances competitively and no one stays for entire rehearsals. I tend to arrive back at the studio 15-20 minutes early to watch a bit and I am usually alone in the lobby until 5 minutes before rehearsal is over. Victor came to my daughter's studio to teach a class and do a meet n greet and he basically admitted/stated that most of the drama is set up, if not actually staged, for the show. In his words, the show gives the moms license to say what they are thinking (re dance assignment, choreo, etc), whereas typically they as instructors/coaches would not tolerate all that nonsense IRL. I know we as dance moms, at my studio at least, have way too much love and respect for our SO and teachers to spout like those moms do. They're doing it and being encouraged to do it to make it interesting for the viewers.

dmmetler

dmmetler

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 10, 2012 @ 9:58 AM

It also depends on the level of supervision and breaks between classes. I do stay for my DD7's dance classes because there are 15-20 minute breaks between them, and I'm not comfortable with a half dozen fairly young girls being unsupervised, and I can edit documents on a laptop quite easily in the waiting area. For gymnastics, though, I have no trouble dropping DD off and picking her up at the end of class, because breaks are taken in a non-public, supervised area. I could easily see the AL parents, especially, not wanting their 7-10 yr olds to go out and take a break if the waiting area is one where anyone can walk in off the parking lot.

luckyroll3

luckyroll3

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 24, 2012 @ 4:04 AM

They have really brought Hannah along (which BTW is one of the things I've seen on Miami that I really love).

I just watched the last 2 episodes of the season and I think Hannah is great. She's an incredible dancer for her age, especially with the emoting/performance aspect. And her technique is pretty good too, despite the comments being made about her weight. I'm glad that they were able to give her a chance to showcase what she can do. And she's such a sweet little girl. Can't stand her mom though. When she said something along the lines of, "when they announced 4th place and it wasn't Hannah, I was sad because I new she couldn't get placed higher than 4th", that really bugged me. I smell a little bit of sabatoge there with the mom in regards to Hannah's weight.