Dance Moms: Miami

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

335 replies to this topic

deadpanlady

deadpanlady

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 2:59 PM

...a six-episode series that's set to premiere on Lifetime on April 3rd. Just the slo-mo teaser of the little boy's kick was awesome.

meatball77

meatball77

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 3:19 PM

The kids are going to be older and they appear to be all the same age so that's good.

deadpanlady

deadpanlady

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 7:16 PM

Thanks for not leaving me hanging, meatball77! It does look like more drama with older dancers and more OTT moms. The mom in the preview with the short dark hair was a little scary-lookin.

meatball77

meatball77

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 7:46 PM

She looks scary.

The stuff I'm hearing about the show is interesting, should make for a lot of entertainment. I can't wait to see it, it'll be nice to have something different from the tired Abby Lee plots. Older girls and a whole group that auditioned and was recruited should be entertaining. There are teasers for each mom/kid team on youtube.

Edited by meatball77, Apr 3, 2012 @ 4:14 PM.

deadpanlady

deadpanlady

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 10:36 PM

I saw some of the YT teasers just now. Looks like the moms will be even more catty. I'm fascinated by the two instructors. Any info on them?

meatball77

meatball77

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 10:47 PM

I really liked it. So nice to see a teacher that dances and physically helps the kids instead of sitting in a corner and shouting directions. Victor was hilarious and Angel seemed kind, they seemed to balance each other out. So nice to see someone tell a kid that they need to believe they can do it instead of yell at them and tell them they're slow. The moms are all batshit crazy and it seems like the kids are a bit crazy themselves (the trophy being pulled out of the girls hands, the mother saying that her daughter was bullied by the other girl).

deadpanlady

deadpanlady

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 10:58 PM

It hasn't aired yet where I am; doesn't come I'm until 10:30 PST, so I'm not gonna peek at the rest of your post yet, LOL! But I did see the words "batshit crazy", so I'm excited.

cupFloweR

cupFloweR

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 11:02 PM

This show seems okay..the moms are very scripted already and trying to play the part of "catty dance moms." But I like the dance instructors and the dancers are really talented. I wish they would make these shows about the dancing! I also hope the instructors do not get forced into playing different "characters." We will see what unfolds!!

Edited by cupFloweR, Apr 3, 2012 @ 11:30 PM.

missy jo

missy jo

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 11:50 PM

That's pretty much how people in Miami tend to talk to each other, Dance Moms or no.

Edited by missy jo, Apr 3, 2012 @ 11:51 PM.

HowlingHills

HowlingHills

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 11:53 PM

Love me some Lucas! What a little rockstar! I think he might be having a little too much expected of him to be a 'strong' partner at such a young age - to lift and support a partner his same size. Most pairings have the male larger than the female, and older and more developed before being expected to do so much supporting and lifting.

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 1:05 AM

One of those guys - not sure which name goes with which guy - sounded so much like Hank Azaria doing his Simpsons character "Julio" (based on Azaria's character in The Birdcage) that I just lost my shit whenever he opened his mouth.

These kids really are much better than Abby Lee's herd, but I don't find any of them particularly likeable. They all seem a tad smug to me.

Should Lucas have really been doing those lifts? That kid is ripped for a nine-year-old but he's still a little kid. I kept waiting for that girl to land on her head and snap her neck.

kelslamu

kelslamu

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 1:26 AM

Jessi's mom does seem a bit looney tunes. I would reprimand my kid for jerking a trophy out of someone's hands. Geeze! I do think they outdo Abby's choreography. However, Jessi's solo seemed kind of meh to me.

truconfession

truconfession

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 2:09 AM

I thought the premiere was pretty good. Don’t really care for any particular kid or mom just yet, but love the instructors.

I thought the group number and tango duet were really well done. But I have to agree that Jessi’s solo was completely lackluster. I really don’t know what ‘modern jazz” is in the dance world but in my world it looked like some type of tame strip tease. To much swaying and skirt pulling(wtf?), not enough of everything/anything else.

Evs

Evs

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 8:36 AM

I liked it. The kids don't seem as sweet as the Dance Mom girls and the moms are horrible, but the professionalism of the instructors makes a huge difference for me. Abby seems like an amateur mess in comparison. The Miami kids have much better technique and, other than their version of the pyramid, the instructors aren't playing all Abby's petty games. I hope that continues.

I have boys, so the only thing I can compare it to is their sports. My 13 year old plays AAU basketball. His coach is a former European pro. His jr high team, on the other hand, was coached by a science teacher who may have played on jv in high school. He does the best he can, but there is no comparison. Based on the first episode, that is the quality of the Miami instructors vs Abby, IMO, even though Abby does have knowledge and experience.

I think Christie should move Chloe to Miami ASAP.

Tif

Tif

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 10:44 AM

Lucas saying "You know it!" and doing that little shoulder dance when his Mom introduced him made my heart smile.

The way that mean girl ripped the trophy away from the other girl at the awards ceremony was disturbing. The look on her face! Yikes. And then her mother not being absolutely mortified by her child's behavior but instead lashing out at the offended child's mother? Gross. But from the looks of next week's preview, it seems that the mean girl gets put at the bottom of the list for her attitude, so bravo to the instructors for that. Can we imagine Abby putting Maddie at the bottom of the pyramid for something like that? (Not that Maddie would ever do that in the first place)

Callasin

Callasin

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 11:28 AM

I liked it. Angel and Victor are a breath of fresh air after 2 seasons of Abby and her cruel shouting. I loved it when the kids shouted and ran to Victor when he came back from the hospital. They seem to love their teachers. The kids don't seem as sweet but they have not been together as long as Abby's girls. It will be interesting to see how they bond or become rivals over time. I also look forward to getting to know the kids, moms and teachers over the season.

I too thought Jessi's solo was lackluster. It just didn't seem to flow with the music to me. Bear in mind that I have no experience with that type of dance though so it may have been very good technically. Still I don't think second it something to be so disappointed about. You might not have placed at all.

spanana

spanana

Stalker

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 11:37 AM

I'm torn on this show. I liked the instructors so that is a plus. They seem tough, but professional. Unlike I certain Abby Lee Miller. That said, the reason I originally liked Dance Moms was I liked the girls and thought they all were very sweet with each other. Which they still are, it's just everything around them that's a hot mess. If the kids aren't likeable here, I'm not sure I'll care enough to keep watching. But I realize they were mostly just thrown together to form this team, unlike most of the Abby Lee dancers who have known each other most of their lives.

camom

camom

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 11:51 AM

One positive was that, before getting into it about the girl grabbing the trophy, the young dancers were ushered out of the room. The only time that happened on the original DM was when the stripper was coming. There seemed to be at least a little concern for the kids.

CarolinaFiner

CarolinaFiner

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 12:00 PM

Haha, I love the dual TH's with the instructors ... they remind me of the Men on Film segments from In Living Color that the Wayans brothers did.

This cast is going to have to grow on me still. Maybe a few more episodes.

ctmd

ctmd

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 12:32 PM

with the exception of little kimmy and her mom, all these moms are complete loony tunes! I actually found them uncomfortable and almost horrifying to watch. Lucas seems to still have a good head on his shoulders and appears to be a beautiful and strong dancer from what I could tell already, but Kimmy is already my favorite and clearly is the most down-to-earth of all of them. She's also the only one who didn't appear to have their mom completely living vicariously through them. Jessie's mom's psychopathy seems like the stuff of movies- her mom was a professional award winning columbian dancer who was too busy to let her own child dance, so now HER child must live out all of mom's dreams, no matter the consequences! If this were a lifetime movie rather than miniseries, I would definitely expect Jessie to turn to drugs and/or even become a serial killer because of her mom's pressures!

goofygirl

goofygirl

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 12:40 PM

At least the two guy teachers actually called their studio "contemporary dance studio" and they can actually get up off their butts and DANCE! Abby Lee Miller, your 15 minutes are calling you!

taalsi

taalsi

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 3:10 PM

Just like the other DM, I'm already disliking the mothers. The one that said everyone was jealous of her because she has money can go jump off a bridge. Maybe they hate you cause you're a bitch. Where would she be without hubby's money?

they remind me of the Men on Film segments from In Living Color that the Wayans brothers did.

Lol, now I'm going to be waiting for them to critique someone's routine with, "hated it!"

deadpanlady

deadpanlady

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 10:17 PM

Or you'll give the performances Two Snaps Up.

Did Victor just shout out Tyler Perry's Madea character? I think he did: "Helleer!" The instructors are cracking me up with their snarkiness.
The mom with the long dark hair looks like Dr. Phil's wife.

Absolom

Absolom

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 10:28 PM

This one is not drawing me in. I'm not sure why. Maybe just one dance show too many for me? I think the little girls drew me in on Dance Moms. Victor gets on my nerves.

Jessi did not impress me. I saw better solos than that from non-competitive dancers where my daughters danced. We did have some excellent dancers who took private lessons and didn't want to compete. Lucas and Kimmy are adorable. Now Kimmy needs to quit baby talking.

1.551 million viewers. Over a million less than the original.

Ladle

Ladle

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 3:15 PM

I agree that Angel and Victor are a breath of fresh air after Abby Lee Miller, and they seem to really be putting the kids' best interests at heart. That said, I was a bit dismayed by some of their sexist comments (or maybe it was just Angel?) -- including the notion that one of the women, instead of helping her daughter practice, should be "shopping or with her husband" and another comment about the women that "Their husbands can't control them." Sheesh. My husband can't control me either. Nor would he want to. It's not 1865. Maybe these comments were taken out of context, but they really rubbed me the wrong way.

On a positive note, that little Lucas may be the cutest thing ever!

deadpanlady

deadpanlady

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 5:50 PM

Ladle, my ears perked up at that, too! And I guess it took me aback because I don't think I'd ever heard a gay man be chauvinistic; not that a gay man couldn't be a chauvinist, but I just had never seen/ heard that before.

Lucas and Kimmy are adorable, but I agree with the poster who said Kimmy needs to quit baby-talking. I know she probably can't help it, but the rubber band bottom lip when she does her THs is a bit distracting. (Her hair is gorgeous, though.)

kccody

kccody

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 7:15 PM

Jessie has Mean Girl written all over her. Glad they shooed the dancers out of the room during the talk about Jessie grabbing the trophy from Hannah. The thing about the original DM is that I love the girls. Don't think I'll love any of these kids so much.

AvoidingWork

AvoidingWork

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 7:27 PM

I can't decide whether I liked it. It kind of made me tired to watch regular Dance Moms and then this right after. I like these teachers, I'm meh on the kids and I can't stand the moms. Lucas and Kimmy are adorable, and Kimmy's mom seems like the only normal one with a life outside dance. Hopefully that isn't beaten out of her like it was with Holly. I like Kimmy better in the context of dance class/rehearsal than her face time with the camera. Though, it was funny when she said Lucas didn't drop her on purpose....she hopes. Jessi, Susan and Debbie (Hannah's mom, that's her name, right?) seem to be acting as nasty as possible to maximize their screen time. Annoying. So, were these kids put together specifically for this show? It was said that all except Sammy had been at Stars before, but I guess not on a team together? Lucas and Kimmy did not seem too comfortable together at all. I think I would love to see a hybrid show...have Angel and Victor teach a team consisting of Chloe, Maddie, Paige, Mackenzie, Lucas and Kimmy...and no moms allowed whatsoever.

Edited by AvoidingWork, Apr 5, 2012 @ 7:28 PM.

toolegittoquit

toolegittoquit

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 7:35 PM

I give this show three snaps up in a Z formation.

Okay, maybe not. I thought the instructors were walking gay stereotypes. I predict in an upcoming episode the subject of the girls' weights will be an issue. A couple of the girls were a bit chunky and that's got to be an issue in dance. Some of Jessi's moves were one step away from working the pole too.

meatball77

meatball77

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 7:59 PM

So, were these kids put together specifically for this show?

From what I understand they had an open call for auditions and that these kids for the most part haven't been together. There was another girl that filmed for a bit (Mia Diaz who is known nationally)who trains at Starz that was taken off because her mother was too demanding with the contract so that could explain what the deal was when Sammy came in. She was probably a replacement for Mia and came in a week after the others.