3-18: "The Murder of One" 2012.03.29 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

158 replies to this topic

MissEm23

MissEm23

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 2:38 PM

Was anyone else bother by the fact that Damon target Rebecca to kill ? I was. It seem like Damon always killing women.

Damon targeted Rebekah because she was the only Original left in town besides Klaus, and he knew he couldn't take on Klaus. It's not necessarily because she's a girl. Plus, he had a better chance of getting close to her since she was starting to trust him, which is related to the fact that she's a girl, but it doesn't mean that she's weak only because she's a girl. In this episode, they discussed exploiting Klaus' obsession with Caroline as a weakness in the exact same way.

blissfullylost

blissfullylost

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 4:03 PM

I thought this episode set up a nice, subtle contrast between Caroline helping Alaric even though he killed her father versus Bonnie choosing not to help Damon because he turned her mother.

I thought the obvious contrast was between Alaric and Damon. Alaric's alter-ego killed Caroline's father; he had no memory of the event and had no conscious control over it. Yet, he still recognized the need to offer a heartfelt apology and feel genuinely bad about it. That gave Caroline the opportunity to accept it and acknowledge that she had also lost control and taken human life. The Salvatores are responsible for the physical act of killing Bonnie's mother and they apparently don't feel that it's even worth mentioning. When Bonnie came over to do the spell for Alaric(and missed the chance to say goodbye to her mother), Damon had the perfect chance to at least say, "I'm not sorry for what I did because I felt that it was my only option. I am so sorry though that it came to that and I'm truly sorry for what that decision cost your mother and you." Apparently, Damon is not sorry for any of it which is in keeping with his character. However,I don't expect Bonnie to forgive someone for another heinous act in a pattern of them when the person doesn't express the tiniest modicum of remorse. Heck, polite people apologize when they accidentally step on someone's foot! I'm pretty sure that I would not respond well to my first communication being a text asking me to show up to listen to orders as usual.

Bonnie, well I don't know if I would have left Damon there at the house. Even knowing what he did to my mum, after she dumped me again. I couldn't just walked away, after seeing him like that. I guess I have a heart like Elena.

Bonnie is a tiny petite girl who just performed a spell that must have been incredibly exhausting. My understanding of her powers is that she would not have had the energy to perform a spell which means that she would have needed the physical strength to drag Damon down and hope that Klaus wasn't toying with her. He had already kidnapped her and threatened her loved ones and she's supposed to be that trusting? Bonnie called for help as soon as she walked out the door; I think it was logical and smart. It seems like the right play even if it was someone innocent in jeopardy. It's like they say on the plane,"Put your own mask on first." I don't find Bonnie's actions in that situation even borderline gray. Gray to me would be Bonnie driving home, making herself dinner,and then taking a bubble bath while musing, "I bet you wish you had been a little bit nicer" before calling Elena with the news. Even if Bonnie had never said a word, is letting a serial killer kill another serial killer who tried to kill you & killed your mom gray? One could argue that the gray is in Bonnie not taking Damon and Stefan out before at a minimum dozens of girls lost their lives. I realize that doesn't work within the context of the show but it does make me empathize with Bonnie.

Edited by blissfullylost, Apr 1, 2012 @ 4:06 PM.

mac123x

mac123x

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 4:51 PM

Regarding home-ownership and vamp invite rules:

I don't think the show has ever said that if a human experiences a temporary death and then comes back to life, they are somehow null and void, have they?

After Tyler was hybridized, he couldn't enter Gilbert Gables until Jeremy invited him in. Neither could the hybrid SUV driver that Jerms beheaded. Either Jeremy or Elena still holds invite power over their own home, so their temporary deaths haven't negated it.

I think we'll just have to file this under "continuity error".

deletia

deletia

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 10:29 PM

So when they killed Finn, they took out roughly one-fifth of the vampire population of the entire world, right? If I'm reading this right, it's like a tiny supernatural genocide, but it bothered no one.

Well, accidents happen, I guess.

Further, though, they continue to talk about killing Originals, even knowing what they do. They only seem concerned with protecting the douchy hybrid guy and the Salvatore brothers. Do they really believe it's OK to kill all other vampires with extreme prejudice? Even though they should be able to figure out that some of them, like Lexi or Stefan, are probably trying to recover their humanity?

Oh, show. I've been faithful 'til now, but this is just too much.

ETA: lucprue1, I just noticed that the link you provided upstream made a similar (and more eloquently stated) point. Here's hoping that the writers eventually address the unacknowledged irony of this episode.

Edited by deletia, Apr 1, 2012 @ 10:45 PM.

luvprue1

luvprue1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 11:48 PM

So when they killed Finn, they took out roughly one-fifth of the vampire population of the entire world, right? If I'm reading this right, it's like a tiny supernatural genocide, but it bothered no one.

Exactly! Fin never did anything to Elena, he had spent more time in the coffin than he did as a vampire. I felt that at least Elena should have felt a little bad considering he never did anything to her.

Further, though, they continue to talk about killing Originals, even knowing what they do. They only seem concerned with protecting the douchy hybrid guy and the Salvatore brothers. Do they really believe it's OK to kill all other vampires with extreme prejudice? Even though they should be able to figure out that some of them, like Lexi or Stefan, are probably trying to recover their humanity?

No one wants to protect Tyler besides Caroline. Elena didn't say anything when Caroline pointed out that Tyler will die if they kill Klaus. All Elena cares about is protecting Stefan and Damon.

I know the main characters are not perfect , but what gives them the right to decided who lives and who dies? I see no reason for them to continue to kill off all of Klaus's family since they haven't done anything to them. Klaus could have,and should have killed Damon and Stefan a long time ago, but so far he seem to have given them a pass..But Damon and Stefan thinks it's o.k to kill an original ,and totally eliminate their entire bloodline..and everyone is o,k with that? I guess Lexi was Stefan's only friend, and Damon likely do not have any vampire friends if he goes along with it.

ETA: lucprue1, I just noticed that the link you provided upstream made a similar (and more eloquently stated) point. Here's hoping that the writers eventually address the unacknowledged irony of this episode.

I hope the show address it too. I want characters I can root for, but right now I can't root for any of them..as a matter of fact I starting to not like them.

zizou

zizou

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 5:57 AM

So when they killed Finn, they took out roughly one-fifth of the vampire population of the entire world, right?

Not really, Finn has been locked in a coffin for 900 years, I doubt he turned many people. Plus from what we've seen of him I don't think he was so keen on making new vampires anyway (much like Mikael).

Do they really believe it's OK to kill all other vampires with extreme prejudice?

They're not trying to kill all vampires, they're trying to kill Klaus (and they have very good reasons for doing so).

Edited by zizou, Apr 2, 2012 @ 5:59 AM.

My Way

My Way

Stalker

• Interests:Jensen Ackles.

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 8:04 AM

When Bonnie came over to do the spell for Alaric(and missed the chance to say goodbye to her mother), Damon had the perfect chance to at least say

Was Damon even there when that happened? Besides Damon has been sincere with Bonnie before and she mostly threw it back in his face because she wasn't interested. Hell, she was giving Elena the cold shoulder and Elena didn't actually turn her mother. I don't think Bonnie would have wanted to hear anything from Damon and he would most likely have gotten a random headache for his troubles. Of course, I mentioned earlier, I think it's ridiculous that Bonnie doesn't blame Klaus, Elijah, etc. for it at least as equally as she blames Damon since, you know, they are the ones who twisted the Salvatore arms to do it. Also, Bonnie's mother sucks. Just because it can't be said too many times.

She did do an excellent job with the emotional breakdown in this episode. I think her acting has improved by leaps and bounds since the first season (when I thought she was pretty terrible).

I don't think he was so keen on making new vampires anyway

I don't think he probably turned anyone but Sage. They pretty much killed all of her vampires, and their decendents.

mac123x

mac123x

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 10:34 AM

Do they really believe it's OK to kill all other vampires with extreme prejudice? Even though they should be able to figure out that some of them, like Lexi or Stefan, are probably trying to recover their humanity?

It'd make a great motivation for the Season 1 Founders Council (before they were effectively neutered by Damon and Carol). Imagine the twinkle in Uncle John's eye if he found out about this vampire vulnerability.

Having the protagonists just not care about collateral damage makes them seem so self-absorbed and unlikeable. They didn't even give lip-service to the dozens (or thousands) of vamps like Slater who are productive members of society who will die.

There was some unintentional irony from Caroline, saying that Elena always wants to save everyone. Apparently that only applies to people she knows, because she doesn't give a damn about the unnamed cannon fodder that will croak if they kill any more of the Originals.

Finn has been locked in a coffin for 900 years, I doubt he turned many people. Plus from what we've seen of him I don't think he was so keen on making new vampires anyway (much like Mikael).

After seeing the Redshirt new-vamp that Sage had just turned, Finn asked her if she had turned others. She replied "lots". Since she's been active for 900 years, she probably had a multitude of "decendants". Granted, some or even most of them might have been dead already: killed off by other vampires or vampire hunters, suicide, etc. It's still reasonable to assume that a few dozen vampires all over the world flopped over dead when she bit it.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 10:50 AM

This was also brought up on Buffy because she was fine killing every vampire and demon who crossed her path without a second thought until she got to know Angel, Clem, etc. and realized that being a demon doesn't necessarily make you evil (just as being human doesn't necessarily make you a good guy). Elena knows that Stefan, Damon, Caroline, and Tyler are creatures who have the ability to be evil killers but also the potential to be loving members of her inner circle.

That's the only reason she wants to save them but she doesn't take into consideration that other vampires, werewolves, hybrids, or other creatures could be just as awesome as her BFF Caroline so she's willing to let them all die as long as they're not part of Rose's siring line. Exterminating an entire race is called genocide.

I know this is TVD so we're supposed to root for Elena, but what is someone else was out there who hated the originals and had white osk stakes and wanted to kill Rose's line of vampires? She'd be begging them not to take away her boyfriend, his brother, and her best friend.

At least on Buffy, vampires were portrayed as mostly being violent killers who enjoyed causing mayhem and apocalypses. Angel and Clem were exceptions to the rule. On TVD, they've been portrayed as much more human, blending into society, etc. Lexie, Slater, and Anna didn't seem to be considered unusual among other vampires which makes me think they weren't too far outside what vamps consider normal.

redbudrose

redbudrose

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 11:21 AM

After seeing the Redshirt new-vamp that Sage had just turned, Finn asked her if she had turned others. She replied "lots". Since she's been active for 900 years, she probably had a multitude of "decendants". Granted, some or even most of them might have been dead already: killed off by other vampires or vampire hunters, suicide, etc. It's still reasonable to assume that a few dozen vampires all over the world flopped over dead when she bit it.

Still, without Finn behaving as the other originals other than Mikael, it should have been half the amount of vampires dying than if Finn hadn't been daggered 90% of the time. Also it sounded to me like Sage was the only one who he turned.

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 11:34 AM

I really hope Tyler doesn't end up being sacrificed in honour of the 60 millionth murder attempt on Klaus. At this rate I'd rather have Tyler and Jeremy back being roidy and douchey over more original drama.

zizou

zizou

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 11:58 AM

It's still reasonable to assume that a few dozen vampires all over the world flopped over dead when she bit it.

I agree. I was just responding to a post that said that killing Finn equals killing one fifth of the vampires in existence, which implies that each Original sibiling turned about the same amount of people which I don't think is true.

Edited by zizou, Apr 2, 2012 @ 11:58 AM.

mac123x

mac123x

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 12:48 PM

I agree. I was just responding to a post that said that killing Finn equals killing one fifth of the vampires in existence, which implies that each Original sibiling turned about the same amount of people which I don't think is true.

I agree. Elijah, Mr. Self-control himself, was probably pretty circumspect. I could see Kol's decendants filling the Rose Bowl since he seems pretty impulsive. Becky and Klaus somewhere in between, plus they seem like the kind of people who'd make a new vampire, play with them a bit, then kill them when they got bored.

Pucklady

Pucklady

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 12:52 PM

There is/was Mikael, too. As he was not in the linked group, any vampires he made would still be alive as of his death. That could actually be the solution to how to kill off all the vampires and still have a show - have Rose be turned by Mikael or one of his descendants.

question fear

question fear

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 1:42 PM

There is/was Mikael, too. As he was not in the linked group, any vampires he made would still be alive as of his death. That could actually be the solution to how to kill off all the vampires and still have a show - have Rose be turned by Mikael or one of his descendants.

I think anyone Mikael turned would have died like Sage did. She didn't die because of the linking of the originals, she died because the originating vampire in her bloodline died. So if Mikael did turn anyone they are dead too.

Cindy McLennan

Cindy McLennan

Fanatic

• Interests:Covering Sherlock, Once Upon A Time, The Vampire Diaries, and The Tomorrow People for TWoP. Past shows include Lost, Supernatural, and How I Met Your Mother.

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 3:17 PM

The recap is up. I hope you enjoy it.

Pucklady

Pucklady

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 3:45 PM

I think anyone Mikael turned would have died like Sage did. She didn't die because of the linking of the originals, she died because the originating vampire in her bloodline died. So if Mikael did turn anyone they are dead too.

Well, we don't really know for sure, but I think the linking spell did two types of links - it linked all the siblings and it also linked the originals with all their descendants. Bonnie's unlinking spell just undid the sibling links, which is why the blood separated into 5 blobs. But I'm thinking the descendant link didn't exist until the linking spell was created and Mikael wasn't included in that, so his descendants would still be alive.

blissfullylost

blissfullylost

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 3:59 PM

Was Damon even there when that happened? Besides Damon has been sincere with Bonnie before and she mostly threw it back in his face because she wasn't interested. Hell, she was giving Elena the cold shoulder and Elena didn't actually turn her mother. I don't think Bonnie would have wanted to hear anything from Damon and he would most likely have gotten a random headache for his troubles. Of course, I mentioned earlier, I think it's ridiculous that Bonnie doesn't blame Klaus, Elijah, etc. for it at least as equally as she blames Damon since, you know, they are the ones who twisted the Salvatore arms to do it.

If I remember the episode correctly, Damon was upstairs with Alaric making a snarky remark about Bonnie's magic and then we saw Bonnie in the kitchen with Elena so their time overlapped. As for Elena, Bonnie surpasses me as a friend because if my "bestie" was in a relationship with dudes who were cool killing/attempting to kill people(myself included), we'd already be done. I don't hold it against Bonnie that she needed some time to steel herself into not saying something she'd regret since she could pretty accurately surmise that Elena wouldn't be upset with the Brothers Salvatore in any meaningful way. Elena perpetually validates their actions with her notion of forgiveness for anything-there is no deed so dark that she could let them go. Bonnie still came and helped Elena and comforted her when she saw her. Just like she comforted Elena after Damon tried to rip out Bonnie's throat.

Getting back to the Salvatores, I think an apology is far more appropriate than just expecting someone to show up to do your bidding like it's business as usual. I felt Stefan's, "Where's Bonnie" may have bothered me even more than the coin flip. It reveals a callousness that's breathtaking to me in its disregard. Bonnie deserved consideration from Damon. It doesn't matter if she gave him some aneurysms, it matters that he didn't bother. I may tell someone that I don't want their apology but the acknowledgment that the person knows something happened matters. It means that we're all living in the same reality--that I'm not trapped in some personal bubble of pain that the other person has no empathy for or even recognition of its existence. Bonnie didn't have to accept or believe an expression of remorse but she deserved to hear it. For the record, I think she probably will hear something so that Damon can have a moment of humanity that will damn Bonnie if she doesn't immediately beam with forgiveness that he got around to saying something about the death of her mother at his hands after a few weeks.

To the final point, I take it for granted that Bonnie blames the Originals. Why wouldn't she? She expects them to do evil and she was willing to die to rid the world of Klaus. It wouldn't make sense to me to have Bonnie articulating about how she blames her enemies. Enemies ruin your life--that's kind of the definition to me. You aren't supposed to have to worry about peril from the other people in your life. Your friends are the ones who are supposed to protect you. Your friends are the ones who have your back so hard that they wouldn't dream of loving people who have shown the capacity and the willingess to destroy you. I'm not sure that Bonnie has any friends.

Also, Bonnie's mother sucks. Just because it can't be said too many times.

Possibly quote of the day =)

MissEm23

MissEm23

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 4:48 PM

Bonnie is so irritatingly self-righteous. She tried to set Damon on fire in 2x02 because Caroline was turned with his blood that SHE ASKED HIM TO GIVE HER after she was injured because of a device Bonnie lied about deactivating. Then exclaims that every bad thing that happens is Damon's fault. She's a twit who only sees the world in black and white. If she wasn't their handy-dandy witch fix-it, her character would have been killed off a long time ago. I admit that the other characters do take advantage of her, but it doesn't bother me because I can't stand her. Plus, her Grams DID warn her repeatedly about getting involved in vampire business. So really, a lot of the bad things that have happened are actually HER fault (not Damon's).

It really bothers me that everyone seems ok with killing off entire bloodlines of vampires because of their vendetta against the Originals. I can't even really remember why they're mad at them anymore. I hope that they realize that it's not worth murdering probably thousands of vampires, many of whom might be good vamps like Caroline. If they really want to neutralize Klaus, they should just get their handy witch to juju him like her useless mom did to Mikael and chain him up for all eternity. I'm sure the Abandoner could probably remember the spell, even though she burned it. Or Bonnie could finally come up with her first new spell and unlink the bloodlines from their Originals. But Bonnie is incapable of thinking for herself, so probably not that.

marysue22

marysue22

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 5:12 PM

Bonnie is so irritatingly self-righteous. She tried to set Damon on fire in 2x02 because Caroline was turned with his blood that SHE ASKED HIM TO GIVE HER after she was injured because of a device Bonnie lied about deactivating. Then exclaims that every bad thing that happens is Damon's fault. She's a twit who only sees the world in black and white. If she wasn't their handy-dandy witch fix-it, her character would have been killed off a long time ago. I admit that the other characters do take advantage of her, but it doesn't bother me because I can't stand her.

I have to completely disagree with all of this. The main fault I'm finding with Bonnie lately is that she isn't enough of a hardass. Even in this very episode, she saved the fucking psychopath who murdered her mother without sparing a thought. I would've left him there till he lost a hand or until the geniuses at Casa Salvatore figured out a way to grab him.

luvprue1

luvprue1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 12:31 AM

Getting back to the Salvatores, I think an apology is far more appropriate than just expecting someone to show up to do your bidding like it's business as usual. I felt Stefan's, "Where's Bonnie" may have bothered me even more than the coin flip. It reveals a callousness that's breathtaking to me in its disregard. Bonnie deserved consideration from Damon.

..Stefan lost the coin toss. Stefan was with Bonnie because he had chosen her to turn, which is why he was there. However Damon just turned Abby instead saving Stefan from the trouble. People believe that Damon should apologize. I do too. But let not forget that Stefan play a part in this, he should apologize too, not just Damon. If you think about it Stefan haven't been all that kind to Bonnie himself. When Stefan wanted Bonnie and Abby to get the coffin open, he wasn't nice about it. He told them they better get it open. I do not recall him being especially nice to them. It was also inconsiderate of Stefan to expect Bonnie to show up after what happen without so much of how are you feeling, I'm sorry about your mother. It been establish that Damon and Bonnie doesn't like each other, so I sure Bonnie is not expecting Damon to say he's sorry, however I expect more from Stefan, who pretend to be the good brother.

blissfullylost

blissfullylost

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 1:46 AM

However Damon just turned Abby instead saving Stefan from the trouble. People believe that Damon should apologize. I do too. But let not forget that Stefan play a part in this, he should apologize too, not just Damon.

Oh, I agree that Stefan owes Bonnie an apology too; I was just responding to the comment about Damon. That's what I meant by how callous it was for Stefan to text Bonnie without having expressed remorse to her first. I do think Bonnie considered Stefan a friend and she's been consistent about helping him when he asks even though he's been rude and demanding about it lately. In that sense, I think he owes her more than Damon because it's a deeper betrayal. I don't know that Bonnie expects remorse from either brother at this point but that doesn't change whether they should express it. It'd even be smart to do it out of self-preservation so that she'll be available to help out.

Bonnie gets blame for doing the unlinking spell to prevent Jeremy, her mother, and additional loved ones from getting dismembered but why didn't anyone think about protecting her? Stefan and Damon already missed the chance to keep Elena away from Elijah when she started having second thoughts. . .tragedy ensues. One might think that they would at least consider safeguarding the next obvious target. Klaus needed a way to break the linking spell and Bonnie would be the clear choice to do that. I guess the Salvatores should have given Caroline money to take Bonnie on a "Sorry, we blindsided you by killing your mom; bet you could use a break" roadtrip.

coxfire

coxfire

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 6:30 AM

I don't mind Bonnie not saving Damon in front of Klaus, it was the wisest move, after all, she immediately warned Elena about him being locked. Plus, it is not like they are best friends and don't have issues, so her attitude is 100% logical and normal for me as far as her character go.

What I do mind is the fact that people (*cough*Elena*cough*) own Damon as the sole responsible of Abby turning. It's a regrettable situation, but I don't see much alternatives for Damon or Stefan there. Killing all originals by channeling Bonnie and Abby was Esther's decision, not the brother's, and using elena as leverage was Elijah and Rebekkah's doing. If it wasn't for Elena's saving (again!!), there would have been no need to even touch any of the witches. Turning Abby was kinda of a compromise of breaking the spell without definetly killing her or Bonnie and allow Elena to live. So yes, Bonnie can resent Damon for chossing to save Elena instead of "saving" her mother, but there is nothing she can't really understand, and, not so long ago, he wouldn't even have had second thoughts actually killing Abby, plain and simple.

Damon was/is a psychopath, partly amoral and all, but Elena is a hypocrite when she scolds him and gives him the cold shoulder for these kind of actions when she: 1) perfectly knows who Damon is and by hanging with him accepts his personality and 2) has largely benefited from said attitude when it served to save her (the worst part of it being the infamous "Where were you Damon?" followed a few weeks later by "You care too much" which was the climax of hypocrisy in my record).

I don't mean Damon deserves any kind of pity: he is a killer, most of the time egocentric and looking out for himself, but at least he is honest about it, unlike some other protagonists.

question fear

question fear

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 10:00 AM

So yes, Bonnie can resent Damon for chossing to save Elena instead of "saving" her mother, but there is nothing she can't really understand, and, not so long ago, he wouldn't even have had second thoughts actually killing Abby, plain and simple.

I need to go back and rewatch, but wasn't the issue that if Abby died a witch, Esther could still channel her spirit? I think flat out killing them was never on the table because the issue was breaking the witch line, which death doesn't do. Only vamping creates a break in the chain. At least that is what I remembered, but with the repeat hiatuses and plot twists I often get confused!

Cindy McLennan

Cindy McLennan

Fanatic

• Interests:Covering Sherlock, Once Upon A Time, The Vampire Diaries, and The Tomorrow People for TWoP. Past shows include Lost, Supernatural, and How I Met Your Mother.

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 10:28 AM

I don't think so, questionfear. Esther said she needed the two of them -- the bloodline made manifest, mother and daughter, to channel their dead ancestors. Also, in the episode where they opened the coffin, there was some sort of blood knot or double blood knot illustration in the grimoire, that showed Bonnie & Abby were needed for that spell too (in other words, one of them wouldn't do). Stefan and Damon's option to save Elena's life was to kill Bonnie or Abby and break the bloodline. They realized vamping one of them would also do the trick.

redbudrose

redbudrose

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 11:12 AM

I need to go back and rewatch, but wasn't the issue that if Abby died a witch, Esther could still channel her spirit? I think flat out killing them was never on the table because the issue was breaking the witch line, which death doesn't do. Only vamping creates a break in the chain. At least that is what I remembered, but with the repeat hiatuses and plot twists I often get confused!

Yes, this is true. She needed to not be a witch and the only way to do that was to turn her into a vampire. Killing her would have left her spirit available to Esther. I don't know that Damon would have vamped her over killing her if there was a choice just for choices sake.

Edited by redbudrose, Apr 3, 2012 @ 11:12 AM.

megheartsshoes

megheartsshoes

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 12:24 PM

I'm generally just a lurker, but I have to wonder:

Is there any possibility that this new Originals-die-and-their-sires-go-with-them thing is a result of the linking/unlinking spells? I know the Mikael thing can be explained since we just didn't see what happened, but could this simply be another magic-goes-awry thing that can be solved with another spell?

It seems like a pretty grave oversight on the writers' part to casually turn the destruction of the Originals into mass, instantaneous genocide. Perhaps this is their out?

ETA: Whoops. Looks like PuckLady beat me to it. Glad I'm not the only one!

Edited by megheartsshoes, Apr 3, 2012 @ 12:26 PM.

MissEm23

MissEm23

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 12:41 PM

(Elena) has largely benefited from said attitude when it served to save her (the
worst part of it being the infamous "Where were you Damon?" followed a
few weeks later by "You care too much" which was the climax of hypocrisy
in my record).

I completely agree! As soon as she caught a glimpse of the old (boring) Stefan, she left Damon high and dry. Damon was completely right when he asked her to remember the things she felt when Stefan was gone because she seems not to. I think she has even out-bitched herself from S1, since she was never this hard on Damon, even when he actually was a psycho killer.

How many times did Damon lose it when she needed him while Stefan was gone? Once-- and Daddy Forbes totally deserved it. Oh, and that killing Alaric thing wasn't very nice. He kind of had a bad night. One bad night out of the several months when Stefan was gone. How many people did Damon sleep with when he thought he had a chance with Elena? None after Andie died (as far as we know). How many innocent people has Damon killed lately? Possibly the piano player, but I choose to blame him on Sage. Technically Abby, but we hate her and he only did it to save Elena. Those are the only ones that come to mind. My point is that he really was everything she wanted him to be, and she turned around and broke his heart. He wasn't afraid to make her angry, if it meant that she was safe, and she threw a tantrum because he didn't give her her way. Is she 18 or 12?

I also wanted to punch her in 3x16 (I think) when she said "if you keep pushing people away, you're going to end up alone." She should have been saying in the mirror. She pushed him away in the cruelest way possible, told him to just "get over it already," and then expects him to continue kissing her ass? He's not Stefan. (Thank GOD)

Her insistence on rescuing Damon in this episode was nice until she totally abandoned the idea to follow Stefan around all day. Not sure how the writers are going to redeem her in the next episode, but I hope they offer some sort of explanation for her bitchitude. Otherwise, why would Damon even still want her? I'm totally Team Delena, but I'm more Team Damon. That self-righteous, spoiled, selfish twit does not deserve him right now. I really wish Damon's dream had been real, since she hasn't shown any concern for him at all in at least 5 episodes. I choose to believe that she is panicking and trying to convince herself that she's not in love with him by being a monumental bitch. Otherwise, I kind of wish Damon and Stefan could just leave her in the dust and go have fun brother adventures. They can invite Alaric, Klaus, Rebekah, and Caroline and have a vampy fun time (after they turn Alaric to get the psycho alter ego out of him, obvi). (Anyone else thinking spinoff? haha jk)

Edited by MissEm23, Apr 3, 2012 @ 12:42 PM.

MidnightCupcake

MidnightCupcake

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 3:28 PM

These last few episodes have been falling flat for me, sadly. I really don't like the simplistic way that the writers are setting Elena and Stefan up again. Elena's unconditional, undying love for Stefan has a sour note- it makes me think of girls who just love unconditionally their abusive boyfriends or spouses, taking whatever bad behaviour and abuse they receive with uncomplaining stoicism... all I can see is Elena basically saying, 'it doesn't matter what you've done Stefan... because you're my first love, I WILL LOVE YOU FOREVER'.

How much pain is any girl meant to take? How much before trust is ruined? Could Elena really trust Stefan to stay with her, if they got back together? Could she forgive every bad thing he's done, every person he killed, just because she loves him? How can she believe he'll stay with him- is she so self-destructive that she'll let this guy keep on rejecting her, then pulling her back?

The best bit in the recent episodes was Elena admitting to Matt that a major reason she fell for Stefan so hard was because he was a vampire, and immortal, and wouldn't die. But I'm concerned that the relationship between them will just play out as a 'true love conquers all' message, which for a show generally aimed at teenage girls and twentysomethings... just seems such a bad message. So unrealistic. And dramatically, such a cop out. Until now the show had really impressed me with relationships that mean more than teenage lust, and unexpectedly drawn out characterisation. Now, I just don't get why every development with Damon-Elena has been shoved aside in favour of Stefan-Elena. It feels like Elena's reverted to the same old character she was in series one.

Also, I was disappointed with magic being used to simply 'undo' major plot devices. Linking together all the Originals created a genuine tension- the Originals were finally in danger, finally faced with their own mortality, finally forced to act like a freaking family. Then it's like the writers just thought, 'Gee, but how will we fill the remaining episodes? Better undo that pesky linking spell...' and got Bonnie to do it in another totally overused device- 'Do it or we kill someone you care for'. Yawn, Originals. Yawn. We get it. You're monsters. Your monstrousness has been relentlessly brought up in nearly every episode you've featured in.

I would be totally unsurprised if in the next episode it is suddenly revealed that actually, there *is* another super-powerful weapon that can kill Originals... Ideas are being pulled out of the air and tossed back too fast at this point. The show is becoming a hammy mess of dramatic music and dramatic revelations that no one can predict, but not because they're good, because they're just totally random.

Edited by MidnightCupcake, Apr 3, 2012 @ 3:34 PM.

zizou

zizou

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 5:06 AM

What I do mind is the fact that people (*cough*Elena*cough*) own Damon as the sole responsible of Abby turning

I'm still wondering why she doesn't appear to blame Stefan at all. I know it was Damon who did the actual turning, but Stefan was there to distract Bonnie, I'd say that turning Abby is something both the Salvatores did (it's the same reason why I don't understand how Damon doing it is supposed to not make Stefan feel guilty, by the way). Not to mention that the entire thing is Elijah's fault, he's the one who forced the Salvatores to do what they did, how can he come out from that with his noble image intact is beyond me.

One thing that really bugs me is that Stefan is apparently willing to let Damon be the "bad guy" in Elena's eyes. It's quite horrible.

Edited by zizou, Apr 4, 2012 @ 5:07 AM.