Bunheads: Amy Sherman-Palladino’s Return to TV

• Please log in to reply

3035 replies to this topic

minneapple

minneapple

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:15 PM

I actually thought the biggest problem with it (among many others) was that Parker Posey was terribly, terribly miscast.

She really was. Whenever she opened her mouth on that show (all two episodes that I watched), all I could think was, "Gee, that line would sound better coming out of Lauren Graham's mouth."

And that is the double-edged sword of Gilmore Girls, like stillshimpy said.

In any case, I'll definitely be watching Bunheads. I adore Kelly Bishop, and I love Amy's dialogue and her humor. Watching Gilmore Girls the first time around, I honestly didn't get how funny it was. It was only on subsequent viewings through DVD and syndication that it really really made me laugh.

randomchance

randomchance

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:30 PM

Sutton Foster is amazing, and I don't think the comparisons to Lorelai or Lauren Graham are really that fair.

After reading the interview I think what I'm seeing is more of a writer effect than anything else. ASP writes a specific type of dialogue that has to be delivered a certain way to be good, and that probably accounts for the similarities I was seeing between Sutton Foster's character and Lorelai. And I did mean Lorelai, not Lauren Graham.

Irlandesa

Irlandesa

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:39 PM

Do you think that Aaron Sorkin and the actors from Studio 60 carried similar expectations?
Was Matthew Perry expected to bring Chandler's personna and Frineds' success with him?

This is from a few days ago but a) Yes and b) No. Sorkin was coming off much love and critical success of both Sports Night and The West Wing. He hadn't done TV since the fourth season of TWW and TV missed him. Expectations were ridiculously high because when it came to quality, he was in the 'can't miss' category. (Oh sure he had his detractors but for the most part, he left both shows at points when they were still considered one of the best comedies/dramas on air.) His writing still had his special style but that style in relation to a comedy skit show came off as incredibly tone deaf compared to his previous subjects. (Whenever he covered network politics in the offices or even network news coverage, S60 was a much better show.) The backlash was swift and fierce that he hadn't lived up to expectations.

I think when Matthew Perry is cast, he is expected to bring his Friends' success with him by networks. That's why they cast a 'name.' But I think a viewing audience actually doesn't necessarily want to see the same character. Actors are expected, in theory, to be versatile.

I will def give this a shot and want to like it for Emily Gilmore alone, but that line of the other actress (Sutton, I guess?) when she says "Attitude, my friends" just grates on my nerves. I am hoping it just some weird, out of context line that bugs me and not the show/character/actress as a whole.

Did you see the promo or the sneak peak of that whole scene? If it's just the promo, I agree. It bugged me too and I am a fan of Sutton Foster. But I found it much less jarring in the whole scene.

Rhodie

Rhodie

Video Archivist

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 6:32 PM

Minute long clip of Kelly Bishop as Fanny being introduced to Michelle.

And a first look at the show's poster:

http://www.wetpaint....series-bunheads

randomchance

randomchance

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 7:28 PM

Well! That was a weird experience. I'm sure once I get into the show I'll buy her as a new character, but right now seeing Emily Gilmore in that getup is like seeing a Rottweiler wearing a tutu. My brain just can't process the many kinds of wrong.

Rhodie

Rhodie

Video Archivist

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 8:57 PM

Well! That was a weird experience. I'm sure once I get into the show I'll buy her as a new character, but right now seeing Emily Gilmore in that getup is like seeing a Rottweiler wearing a tutu. My brain just can't process the many kinds of wrong.

haha I know, right?

RachelKM

RachelKM

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:02 PM

Okay, so I'm not inclined to look for Lorelai comparisons, but if they weren't trying for it why put Sutton Foster in short jean cutoffs and cowboy boots if that's not what they're trying to do? That was literally one of the first looks we ever saw Lorelai wearing, The first day at Cilton look.

In any case, I'm still in.

Rhodie

Rhodie

Video Archivist

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 4:35 AM

Okay, so I'm not inclined to look for Lorelai comparisons, but if they weren't trying for it why put Sutton Foster in short jean cutoffs and cowboy boots if that's not what they're trying to do? That was literally one of the first looks we ever saw Lorelai wearing, The first day at Cilton look.

I'd say the difference is though, that those are clothes Lorelai did not wear like, universally ever; whereas in Michelle's case, it looks to be a part of her regular wardrobe.

RachelKM

RachelKM

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 11:46 AM

I'd say the difference is though, that those are clothes Lorelai did not wear like, universally ever; whereas in Michelle's case, it looks to be a part of her regular wardrobe.

I wasn't suggesting that it is an indication that the characters are necessarily similar, only that if they don't want the ghost if Gilmore Girls expectations hanging over the show, putting Sutton Foster in an outfit that evokes an extremely memorable Lorelai moment is probably not the way to effect that.

stillshimpy

stillshimpy

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 2:22 PM

only that if they don't want the ghost if Gilmore Girls expectations hanging over the show, putting Sutton Foster in an outfit that evokes an extremely memorable Lorelai moment is probably not the way to effect that.

Yeah I actually find it more puzzling that that is supposed to be Michelle's every day look, because whereas in seven seasons we're bound to be able to find a "Hey, didn't Lorelai wear something very much like that?" for almost anything they could put together...that First Day at Chilton look was in the credits for ages. Possibly the entire run, but I'm remembering it being there for years. So it might have been best to pick a look that GG viewers didn't encounter pretty much every time they watched an episode. Or if they were going to go with a look like that, cool, just save it until the character was established on her own, rather than weathering a storm of Lorelai comparisons.

Admittedly, it might be entirely purposeful. "Bring it! Compare away! We're confident enough in Sutton Foster to boldly do this, knowing she will win you over." ...and you know, judging from what I've seen in clips? They might be right. I've never seen her before, but I like that she's a little bit plain when she isn't smiling and the megawatt gorgeous when she is. I don't think I've ever seen someone with such a transformative smile. Talk about lighting up a room.

TaraGel

TaraGel

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 8:34 PM

I'm really excited for this show! When I read the script a while back, was surprised it was going to be on ABC Family as there's a fairly dark undercurrent in the script, what with Michelle's life being pretty sad/depressing in Vegas (I imagine they'll minimize how long that runs for in the aired pilot) as well as there being a fairly dark and surprising twist. I didn't find the dialogue to be especially Gilmore-ish in the script, but who knows what it will feel like in the aired version. It's hard to get a vibe on paper sometimes.

That being said, ABC Fam is actually a great choice for the show because it's completely female-centric and that network does an excellent job housing shows for girls/young women that feature strong female friendships and having goals and I can see Bunheads fitting right into that niche. Bechdel Test passing AHOY! (I love also that at their recent upfronts they had a showrunner panel--ALL WOMEN. That NEVER happens on TV. Love it.)

Anyway, I enjoyed Gilmore, love Kelly (can't wait for her to dance), and ADORE SUTTON! She's a very versatile actress and she naturally is a fast-talker with dry humor and can be exceptionally goofy at times. So in that way, I think she's already pretty Lorelei-esque. It's no wonder AS-P is enchanted with her as a new muse. There's so much of Sutton's natural personality in that little trailer clip where she's talking to the girls about needing to have attitude. She's also had a well-received role on Flight of the Concords that was pretty soft/subtle, so I'm sure she can modulate it for TV.

Loverly Emma

Loverly Emma

Channel Surfer

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 11:49 PM

Well, I've never seen Gilmore Girls, but I'm jumping on this bandwagon. Love me some Sutton Foster but I don't think she's a particularly good actress so not sure how this will turn out... if she gets to show off her singing or acting chops I'm THERE.

Irlandesa

Irlandesa

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 2:01 AM

When I read the script a while back, was surprised it was going to be on ABC Family as there's a fairly dark undercurrent in the script, what with Michelle's life being pretty sad/depressing in Vegas (I imagine they'll minimize how long that runs for in the aired pilot) as well as there being a fairly dark and surprising twist.

Could you share this in spoiler bars? I've been wondering about something for a while and then you mention a dark twist. I like to know these things. Here has been my spec:

Spoiler

Edited by Irlandesa, May 6, 2012 @ 2:06 AM.

randomchance

randomchance

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 7:46 AM

I would bet good money that you're right, Irlandesa. I read it and thought of course, now it all makes sense.

stillshimpy

stillshimpy

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 9:10 AM

I would bet good money that you're right, Irlandesa. I read it and thought of course, now it all makes sense.

Spoiler

The other thing that goes with that is, as near as I can tell, the young dancers are going to be as much of a focus as anything in this story. We'll see how that shakes out. Already the very pretty, willowy brunette seems to have an "I'm way too cool for all of this" thing going on. However, two of the promotional posters I've seen feature the dancers, so I think that's an explanation too. That the show isn't really about Michelle's character adjusting, etc. , but primarily about the younger girls and the influence of Michelle's character on them.

Spoiler

TaraGel

TaraGel

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 12:52 AM

Spoiler

That the show isn't really about Michelle's character adjusting, etc., but primarily about the younger girls and the influence of Michelle's character on them.

I think it's probably going to be about both actually. Michelle and Fanny's relationship, AND Michelle and the girls. Fanny owns the dance studio so they're all working together. There's also another important role, Truly, who is Hubble's ex-girlfriend. She's played by Stacey Oristano, who was Mindy on Friday Night Lights.

romantic idiot

romantic idiot

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 8:29 AM

Spoiler

Spoiler

The acting talent itself would win this show quite a few episodes from me, even if the subject didn't engage me.

randomchance

randomchance

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 8:56 AM

Regarding the spoiler (it's officially a spoiler now, right?)
Spoiler

ThatGrrl

ThatGrrl

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:14 AM

From stillshimpy, a couple pages back:

There are a lot of elements to the dance world that aren't very ABC-Family-Friendly (just as a for instance, eating-disorders, body issues, intense appearance pressures) ...and I am a little leery of seeing those sugar-coated too much, or worse -- denied entirely. So the ballet and dance focus might not hold me for long, but we'll see.

If "Make It or Break It" is any indication, ABC Family should allow ASP to deal with the tough side of dance fairly well (should they choose to go down that road, which I agree they should for the sake of realism). For those who haven't watched it, MIOBI follows a group of elite gymnasts hoping to qualify for the US Olympic team. Last season, they dealt extensively with the eating disorder of one girl and the road back to health after a very serious gymnastics injury of another. It wasn't "Little Girls in Pretty Boxes," but they did handle it all in a fairly truthful and straightforward manner. In particular, the eating disorder was sensitively dealt with, complete with the girl hiding it well, being discovered, faking that she'd overcome the problem after finally being put in rehab and eventually having to face the problem head-on. Recovery took months, not the usual "very special episode" many series devote to a problem. If "Bunheads" doesn't deal with the difficult real-life problems of dancers, it won't be because ABC Family has a problem with it.

That being said, I can't help but admit that I'm a tad more interested in "Breaking Pointe," the CW reality show about Ballet West. I mean, I'm sure I'll like "Bunheads" for different reasons; I was a big GG fan. But "Breaking Pointe" is going to offer up one heck of a contrast, I'm sure.

Edited by ThatGrrl, May 7, 2012 @ 11:56 AM.

TaraGel

TaraGel

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 2:08 PM

Spoiler

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 2:23 PM

That being said, I can't help but admit that I'm a tad more interested in "Breaking Pointe," the CW reality show about Ballet West. I mean, I'm sure I'll like "Bunheads" for different reasons; I was a big GG fan. But "Breaking Pointe" is going to offer up one heck of a contrast, I'm sure.

I agree on all counts. I've been waiting for any of the rumored dance company reality shows to start airing (they've been talking about several since last year), so I was excited to have Bunheads to tide me over in the mean time but now that Breaking Pointe is starting in a few weeks I'm really excited. I'll still watch Bunheads for multiple reasons, but I'm pretty sure that Breaking Pointe will be far more interesting to me. I can't complain about having multiple dance shows on tv though - keep 'em coming!

OptimisticCynic

OptimisticCynic

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 2:37 PM

I would suggest the documentary "First Position" as well.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=2MUi4w0QnR0

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 4:53 PM

I saw the NY Times article about First Position but I don't live in New York so I'm stuck waiting for it to come to California (SOON!).

Irlandesa

Irlandesa

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 7:19 PM

But...I do kind of squick at May/December romances

Oh, I'm the opposite. They're totally my thing.
Spoiler

stillshimpy

stillshimpy

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 7:28 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

If "Make It or Break It" is any indication, ABC Family should allow ASP to deal with the tough side of dance fairly well (should they choose to go down that road, which I agree they should for the sake of realism).

Thank you for the information, ThatGrrrl :-) That's good to know, also thanks for the film and series recommendations everyone.

I'm sort of glad this looks like a summer series. After the writer's strike a lot of shows that had aired in the summer got bumped farther and farther into regular season viewing. I like having something new to watch during the summer, so I'm also looking forward to that.

TaraGel

TaraGel

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:08 PM

Stillshimpy, my summer TV viewing schedule is even more full than my regular season one! Lol. All the cable networks have been doing a fantastic job at programming summer I think. It's a little offtopic but I remember you from the Battlestar Galactica boards! Will you be watching Longmire (which has Katee Sackhoff) this summer? That's the show I'm most looking forward to and this is a close second.

To get back on topic--I agree that MIOBI tackled some tough issues, albeit in a bit of an afterschool special kind of way. This has a bit more adult themes, so I'm interested how they'll retain the light tone after the development discussed above.

stillshimpy

stillshimpy

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:38 PM

It's a little offtopic but I remember you from the Battlestar Galactica boards! Will you be watching Longmire (which has Katee Sackhoff) this summer?

I remember you too, TaraGel, we PM'd a couple of times :-) Good to see your screenname! I hadn't planned on watching Longmire, but that was because I had no idea Katee Sackhoff was going to be in it. Now I have to give it a try! Thank you for that heads up.

I agree that MIOBI tackled some tough issues, albeit in a bit of an afterschool special kind of way. This has a bit more adult themes, so I'm interested how they'll retain the light tone after the development discussed above.

The only thing I can think of is
Spoiler

TaraGel

TaraGel

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 4:53 PM

Yeah, Katee's the second lead in Longmire and her Deputy Vic Moretti is a fantastic, ballsy, sarcastic character, very early-season Starbuck (before all the angst/destiny). I can't wait! Lou Diamond Phillips is in it too and I love him.

But back to Bunheads, I wonder
Spoiler

Rhodie

Rhodie

Video Archivist

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 3:38 PM

About the spoiler and to those who have read the script, just how does
Spoiler

Edited by Rhodie, May 10, 2012 @ 3:39 PM.

TaraGel

TaraGel

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 9:05 PM

Rhodie,
Spoiler