11-23: "Top 9 Finalists Compete" 2012.03.28

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

114 replies to this topic

Phan

Phan

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 8:59 PM

Tonight's standing Os are brought to you by the letter P for “Penis” and E for “Elise’s Exception.”

Colton – All I can think of now is that episode of South Park where Eric Cartman apes Creed and makes a bunch of slightly pop songs with a Jesus feel that culminates in the following lyric: “I want to get down on my knees and start pleasing Jesus.” Oh for fuck’s sake, Colton made himself cry. He’s going to win, isn’t he? I thought it was dull compared to his last two weeks.

Skylar – I dig Stevie Nicks as a mentor. This reminded me of her semi-final performance. Energy wise she was brilliant and she was in pitch. I do wish she went somewhere vocally; the vocal kind of just remained in one gear. Was Randy wearing a candy necklace made of Nerds or Skittles? Who the fuck dresses his ass, an acid riddled Andy Warhol? Or, rather, just regular Andy Warhol?

Trio #1 – Elise may not have long on this show, but I dig her vocals a lot; she sounded a bit like Nicks without the vibrato on “Edge of Seventeen.”

Heejun – He really does have a nice tone. It was his best effort on the show thus far, but as someone who likes Heejun, I think this confirmed that he cannot improve in the time he has left on IDOL. Out of this group of 9, Heejun and Deandre are the weakest ones left. Then… the judges give him a standing O. Oh, I give up.

Hollie – Mo’ Jesus, Mo’ Pitch Problems. Just a nice, decent vocal on a song I can’t stand. Well, that’s not true; I did replace my daily lexicon cursing “Jesus Christ!” when “Jesus Take the Wheel!” much to the amusement of my college roommates. I think the idea of her being able to win is done and she’ll be lucky to make Top 6.

Do you think Ryan gets excited doing “the little people’s” work as with the snowblower? I mean fiscally little not little in a Ryan Seacrest little way.

Deandre – I thought his voice got a little crackly at the very top, but it was his best effort. His physical performance was a bit effeminate to me, which is fine, but it’s different for IDOL and I’m surprised to have seen it. It was quirky which I wasn’t expecting. Again, not sure why last week’s bottom 3 are all getting standing Os.

Jessica – Again, like with Hollie, I want to hear her go to the wall with something uptempo. “Sweet Dream” in its original form or “Single Ladies” or even something from the Destiny’s Child days. The staging is a little odd considering she had to walk out and be judged after shutting the door.

Trio #2 – Eh. White noise. Oh, the irony.

Phillip – And Stevie joins the frau. Though honestly? Phil’s what I wanted from Paul McDonald last year. That was really cool. Again with the standing O? C’mon.

Joshua – Very well sung, but I would’ve liked something a bit more edgy from him than Mariah. Jesus take the wheel with all the standing Os tonight. Am I insane?

Trio #3 – It wasn’t mind blowing, but it showed that Hollie and Jessica can do uptempo pop.

Elise – D’awww Elise and Stevie. Um… holy shit that’s how you school Lambert. Her tone and her comfort in singing that, but jeez. Pimp spot worthy. Wow.

My Top 3 – Elise, Skylar, Elise, Phillip, Elise, Elise… sorry, but DAYUMN.
My Bottom 3 – Colton, Hollie, Heejun
My Boot – Heejun. He doesn’t measure up to the others. I’ll accept a Deandre/Colton boot, as unlikely as they are.
Logic Boot – I think Hollie could go. It really is a deep field and these two weeks back to back have not been good for her.

Edited by Phan, Mar 28, 2012 @ 9:17 PM.

trojan69

trojan69

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 8:59 PM

Elise took on Adam. Elise fucked up.

This was a high-level show generally. I hope the tour tix buyers liked the group sings because they will be hearing them again.

Jessica made the genius move of the season by dialing down.

Bleeding Love

Bleeding Love

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 9:00 PM

Standing ovations don't mean anything if you're giving them out like candy, judges. I didn't like Jessica or Joshua's performances at all, and even though Hollie was just okay, those three probably have the votes to stay, so we'll see. (That's what we probably thought about Pia, too.

Edited by Bleeding Love, Mar 28, 2012 @ 9:11 PM.

Shiny Objects

Shiny Objects

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 9:06 PM

I realize it's the fad to say that every season of this show is worse than the one before, but I have to sincerely say, this was the best performance episode of American Idol since the days of David Cook.

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 9:09 PM

Please let DeAndre go home tomorrow! Ugh. I can't stand that falsetto. Hollie was pretty good, but Phillip was my favorite. Again.

MandoMaid

MandoMaid

Couch Potato

Elise killed it.

Colton, please remove the marbles from your mouth. Icanunnerstanasinglewor.

What the hell was Skyler wearing?

Hildegard802

Hildegard802

Fanatic

That's how it's done!!! Crank up the band, the echo, and most of all, the backup singers, and it's just one big standing O!!! OMG OMG OMG DUDE!!!!

And there wasn't an actual "trio" the entire night.

Oh yeah, Skylar's ass. Stylist? Get the memo: Adding fabric to larger hips/thighs does not make them appear smaller.

Edited by Hildegard802, Mar 28, 2012 @ 9:12 PM.

MarySNJ

MarySNJ

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 9:12 PM

I realize it's the fad to say that every season of this show is worse than the one before, but I have to sincerely say, this was the best performance episode of American Idol since the days of David Cook.

I really agree. These kids all sounded comfortable with their choices and I think they all sang at their best. I wasn't enthralled by Colton or Hollie's song choices and I wish Jessica hadn't slowed hers down so much, but overall it was a really good night of Idol performances.

Favorites - ELISE! and Phil

charlieboo

charlieboo

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 9:13 PM

I was quite creeped out when Stevie said that Colton's song was exactly what she wanted to hear a guy say to her.....and then Colton said it was his favorite worship song (huh?) and his God was everything to him.

Oh, Randy. Did you make that necklace in your special summer day camp? And does AI have to hire an extra stagehand to pick up all the names he drops?

CK17

CK17

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 9:15 PM

5 standing ovations in one night. Are you kidding me? Only Elise was deserved.

Top 3 - Elise, Jessica, PP
Bottom 3 - Hollie, DeAndre, Joshua

Have a feeling Hollie might go, she really needs to mix it up.

slowpoked

slowpoked

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 9:16 PM

How are this kids going to buckle down to work in the "real world" when they're given standing O's every time they open their mouths to sing?! Seriously. AI has become the kumbaya.

So if either Heejun or Deandre are the lowest vote-getter tomorrow, then logically, by way of tonight's OMG OMG OMG Standing O!!!! they would be saved, right?!

And that probably means another girl will go home, either tomorrow or next week. Bye Skylar, or bye Hollie. You sang your hearts out but too bad you don't have penises.

rustyspigot

rustyspigot

Fanatic

• Interests:TV and Sarcasm. And I love the bitches.

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 9:16 PM

Good God, enunciate people!

I can't remember such a prop/effect heavy performance night. We have Jessica and her tribute to Elizabeth Arden, Joshua in a post apocalyptic wasteland and Hollie's winter weather advisory.

I think I'm over Hollie. She was thinking of Stevie's emotions? Get your own emotions, Hollie.

And now Heejun's doing it for the children. Won't somebody please think of the children? Helen Lovejoy.

Deandre can go anytime.

Oh yeah, Skylar's ass. Stylist? Get the memo: Adding fabric to larger hips/thighs does not make them appear smaller.

I know, next week they'll give her a bedazzled fanny pack to wear.

Edited by rustyspigot, Mar 28, 2012 @ 9:24 PM.

Wurlitzer

Wurlitzer

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 9:17 PM

Oh my goodness, oh my goodness! Does P2 just ooze mediocrity, or does he just ooze mediocrity? (Insert Heejun, if you please.)

I like Skylar simply because I don't feel painfully awkward watching her perform (like I do watching that silly Chelsea Lately sitcom...or Whitney... or pretty much any old sitcom). I would like to see her in the Top 4 if for no other reason than because she doesn't seem to be going through the delayed adolescent phase so prevalent in modern day America. She knows who she is. I sincerely appreciate that.

My parents own a mid-sized farm somewhere along a dirt road, where there is no cable service and their water is drawn from a well. Deandre's singing really brought me back there - circa castration season. What in the world was that?

I really liked the first 20 or so seconds of Colton's little ditty. I do appreciate that he is true to himself. But then he launched into the high powerful notes and I was longing for the vocal prowess of the leader of the praise band at my church. Don't push too hard brother!

I took a nap through Hollie and Jessica. Still not sure if my sleep apnea or high pitch screeching woke me up for Joshua, but I wasn't interested enough to keep my sleepy eyes open.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 9:18 PM

Stevie FTW! She was so great! I cracked up when she in regard to Skylar, "does this song have any harmony? It needs some!" And wow on telling Phillip that he would have been in Fleetwood Mac. Just wow.

I thought Elise killed it. I would not be surprised to see Heejun go.

marsha

marsha

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 9:24 PM

Bye Skylar, or bye Hollie. You sang your hearts out but too bad you don't have penises.

Still, living in this post-Chaz world ... who knows?

I'm Canadian so I can't actually vote but if I could I'd send a few votes to Heejun and Elise. I try to like Phil and, yeah he can sing, but I cannot stand his facial expressions or body language/performance style. He kind of creeps me out.

Also, can Stevie and Jimmy have their own show? Please?

Edited by marsha, Mar 28, 2012 @ 9:27 PM.

proserpina65

proserpina65

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 9:25 PM

The trios were all inoffensive enough. Only Elise, Phil and especially Skylar stood out. Skylar should sing more Madonna.

Now on to the competition:

Colton - He sang one of those awful Awesome God songs that always make me mute the tv when the ad for that cd comes on, and it went nowhere fast and sounded a little flat in places.

Skylar - This girl can put on a show and that song suited her energy really well.

Heejun - That was the best he's been in this competition but still nothing all that good.

Hollie - Of course she did Jesus Take the Wheel! Pageant Bot number one oversang what really isn't all that good a song to begin with. I used to like her but now, not so much.

Deandre - I have no idea who Eric Benet is, but that did not impress me. Too much falsetto from someone who is not Aaron Neville.

Jessica - Pageant Bot number 2 made Beyonce boring. I didn't know that was even possible.

Phil Squared - He did the kind of bluesy performance that I really wanted out of Casey James in Season 9. I love his sound and I love the bluesy element of it. I personally wouldn't call Jonny Lang blues royalty (that's BB King, Muddy Waters and Robert Johnson for me) but he is great and his music is perfect for Phil's vibe.

Joshua - Of course he did Mariah's over-sung, overwrought version of Without You. To this day no one has matched the real pain and longing in Harry Nilsson's original, although Carly Smithson came closest on this show, and until someone who's capable of that sort of performance hits the Idol stage, this song should be banned for Idol.

Elise - Well, I was prepared to say that Phil had the best performance of what was actually a pretty good night, and then Elise blew me away with her version of Whole Lotta Love. Best of the night by quite a bit. (Although in my head I had her doing the Immigrant Song, which so totally would've rocked.)

Edited by proserpina65, Mar 28, 2012 @ 9:26 PM.

Shiny Objects

Shiny Objects

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 9:26 PM

I didn't get Elise, I don't think it was the right song for her voice. She sounded so much better singing Dreams in rehearsal. And I think Colton is overall a super lame parallel universe version of Jared Leto from 30 Seconds to Mars. Who honestly picks Lifehouse as their personal idol? How lame can you get? But overall I thought it was a great show.

I'm sad that they are obviously angling for Hollie to leave soon, because I like her voice a lot and actually prefer her to Jessica and Skylar, who they clearly want her to transfer votes to when she gets voted out. She reminds me of Celine Dion, who I also really like. </shameful>

MandoMaid

MandoMaid

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 9:28 PM

Oh, Randy. Did you make that necklace in your special summer day camp?

Maybe he needed something to snack on during commercial breaks.

And does AI have to hire an extra stagehand to pick up all the names he drops?

Heck, if Colton can talk to God I guess it's okay if Randy talks to Mariah.

The first trio kicked ass. Elise sounds good singing Stevie.

I love me some Stevie. She's so genuine. A little whacked but sweet.

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 9:30 PM

Deandre was my favorite; he sang the shit out of that song and I loved it.

Phil is way overrated and can't sing all that well. Plus, he makes ugly faces.

Heejun has a really lovely tone to his voice but, unfortunately, with his Korean accent he doesn't enunciate well at all.

Joshua oversang; it was an overwrought, hot mess.

I know Kuntry Skylar is authentic, but I'm ready for her to go any time now.

Hollie and Jessica are very good singers but they are forgettable. I have trouble remembering they even performed.

Elise wasn't as good as she thought she was.

Either Hollie or Heejun should go home.

Oh yeah, then there was Colton...zzzzzzzzzzzz

MandoMaid

MandoMaid

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 9:32 PM

Elise - Well, I was prepared to say that Phil had the best performance of what was actually a pretty good night, and then Elise blew me away with her version of Whole Lotta Love. Best of the night by quite a bit. (Although in my head I had her doing the Immigrant Song, which so totally would've rocked.)

She would've kicked ass on almost any Zeppelin.

proserpina65

proserpina65

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 9:32 PM

"UmÖ holy shit thatís how you school Lambert. Her tone and her comfort in singing that, but jeez. Pimp spot worthy. Wow."

Totally. I've always thought that Adam Lambert's performance of this song was all poser karaoke. (Not saying that poser applied to all Lambert's performances but it sure did to that one.) THIS is how you sing Whole Lotta Love (if you're not Robert Plant, of course).

slowpoked

slowpoked

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 9:36 PM

I'm sad that they are obviously angling for Hollie to leave soon, because I like her voice a lot

I like Hollie very much too, song choices notwithstanding. I know JTTW can be a very personal song to some people, but I wish she picked some other Underwood songs - Wasted, Flat on the Floor - songs that can give her some tempo while performing while not being too much of a stretch for her (like Cowboy Casanova would be).

You just know that if Hollie would be the lowest vote-getter tomorrow, the judges won't save her. But if it's either Deandre, Heejun or Colton, the judges would PISS in their pants not waiting for their "save me!!" songs to finish before telling them they're saved.

Is it just really the AI demographics? How come women seem to have better and legit chances of winning in X-Factor and The Voice compared to AI?

Bleeding Love

Bleeding Love

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 9:40 PM

I was uncomfortable with Heejun's segment. I liked his performance last week, and the way the pre-performance video and commentary came across to me was that it was less about helping Heejun and more about the judges smacking him down for not taking the show seriously and telling him he can't ever be funny again, ever. Jimmy wants to psychoanalyze him, now?It just left a bad taste in my mouth.

Phan

Phan

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 9:43 PM

I didn't get the constant standing ovations, but I'll cut the judges some slack on some of the praise tonight because they've actually been relatively useful for the last couple of weeks.

It was actually a relatively strong night.

LennieB

LennieB

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 9:44 PM

Phan:

thatís how you school Lambert

If by "school," you mean "Attempt to copy, down to the smoke effect and going to the guitarist."

Phan

Phan

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 9:51 PM

LennieB

If by "school," you mean "Attempt to copy, down to the smoke effect and going to the guitarist."

Yes, because Elise copied Adam Lambert, the man who pioneered having smoke effects and performing next to the guitarist when singing a rock song. That's exactly what I meant.

the macguffin

the macguffin

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 9:58 PM

Yes, because Elise copied Adam Lambert, the man who pioneered having smoke effects and performing next to the guitarist when singing a rock song. That's exactly what I meant.

Heh.

stafford

stafford

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 10:00 PM

WTF was JoLo spewing when she said after Elise's performance "I didn't want to stand up but you made me? Did she not want to stand up because Elise has a "hooho"? For the life of me I cannot understand the judges and the voters being so hard on the women. Four standing "O's" for the guys who were arguably mediocre bordering on ok. Heejun, Joshua and Deandre seemed to me to be getting a standing "O" because they sucked less then they did a week ago.

And could someone please tell the contestants to stay away from the Piper Line Accessory wall...it's so distracting (I'm looking at you Jessica and Colton).

I'm not getting the love for either Colton or Jessica. Colton IMO has a weirdly tinney sounding upper register and I just don't like the timber/warble in Jessica's voice. Even with some minor flaws I find Hollie's voice so much more appealing. I have never liked country but I love Skylar.

Elise for the win.

LadyNardicus

LadyNardicus

Video Archivist

• Interests:TV show wise, I love Late night with Jimmy Fallon, Modern Family, Cougar Town, An Idiot Abroad, Ghost Adventures, The Real World, The Real World Road Rules Challenge, Trophy wife, The Michael J. Fox show, America Unearthed,The Mindy Project, and whatever else strikes my fancy.

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 10:01 PM

Wow! What an episode. This is the first time all season that I have been touched by the performances. I thought Colton, Joshua and Elise rocked it tonight. My favorites! They did great.
Plus Elise's outfit was awesome!
Stevie Nicks was a great mentor. I loved her.

Shiny Objects

Shiny Objects

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 10:12 PM

I was uncomfortable with Heejun's segment. I liked his performance last week, and the way the pre-performance video and commentary came across to me was that it was less about helping Heejun and more about the judges smacking him down for not taking the show seriously and telling him he can't ever be funny again, ever. Jimmy wants to psychoanalyze him, now?It just left a bad taste in my mouth.

I can see it that way now that you mention it (did come across as picking on his personality etc.), but I kind of saw it as a "Heejun Redemption Arc." Like, they smacked him down last week but this week he's back as a new, serious, responsible Heejun, singing a serious song and actually putting some feeling into it. I actually kind of saw it as pimpage, after all the tearing down they did of him last week. It wasn't a full redemption edit because they still had to pick at how he sang the song but I still saw an underlying "Heejun is BACK!@!!!!11" theme to it.