2-1: "The North Remembers" 2012.04.01

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

346 replies to this topic

Isazouzi

Isazouzi

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 10:00 AM

Someone asked about Bran's wolf dream and not getting it. I don't think there was anything to "get." I think we are excited that the wolf dreams are being introduced in the show.

I was me. I haven't read the books so I thought I was missing some king of message. And I didn't know there were supposed to be any "wolf dreams". Ok then, they have wolf dreams. Cool I guess? ;-)

Hah, its like Gosford Park, no one ever thinks of the servants.

Ah! Exactly. When will the rich folks learn?

I too get goosebumps whenever they proclaim "The King in the North."

Me too. I can't help but say it out loud with them.

whitless256

whitless256

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 10:03 AM

I adore the opening credits...so much. They deserve a special award, they're simply amazing.

They did win the Emmy for best opening sequence. :)

I thought that she was going to make everyone eat the horse to keep their strength.

I'm sure they did eat the horse. Her followers are still Dothraki and the Dothraki eat horse more than anything else. It would be foolish not to eat the Silver.

I wasn't that impressed with Stanis, I haven't read the books but he wasn't what I pictured based on the talk in S1. I don't know, he just didn't impress me.

I think being unimpressed is exactly how they wanted us to feel about Stannis, and in that sense I think the portrayal was perfect. Technically the Baratheon bannermen should be rallying to Stannis, but instead they've all rallied to Renly, plus the Tyrells and all the strength of their bannermen. Most likely because they are also all unimpressed with Stannis.

I'm not so sure how I feel about Melisandre, though I was never a huge fan of her character in the books either so I'm hoping the show can possibly make me see something I haven't seen in her. But so far I'm just pretty meh about her.

Arutha

Arutha

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 10:07 AM

I think being unimpressed is exactly how they wanted us to feel about Stannis, and in that sense I think the portrayal was perfect. Technically the Baratheon bannermen should be rallying to Stannis, but instead they've all rallied to Renly, plus the Tyrells and all the strength of their bannermen. Most likely because they are also all unimpressed with Stannis.

Exactly. The most important thing about Stannis for me is that he is too plain, too uninteresting for anyone to consider him to actually be the king, even though he doubtless is THE Robert's true heir.

revelation

revelation

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 10:12 AM

I thought it was clear that it was Cersei who ordered the purge of the Bastards. The orders for the purge are shown to be by someone who does not care about upsetting Littlefinger. We have seen in this very episode, that Cersei does not care about running roughshod over Littlefinger. This and the timing of it, heavily points to Cersei orchestrating this purge.

These illegitimate offspring of Robert have been running around for months since Robert's death, and it is only once Joffrey reminds Cersei about these Royal Bastards that this purge suddenly happens. When Joffrey taunted Cersei about these Bastards being 'proof' of Robert's unfaithfulness to Cersei, she snapped and lost her temper. She struck Joffrey, a serious breach of protocol, and also technically a serious crime. Cersei cannot take out her anger at Joffrey, but she can kill some peasants!

Although there are somewhat strategic reasons (albeit distasteful) for removing potential dynastic challengers further down the road, this seems too far-thinking for someone like Joffrey to even care about. Joffrey has the Throne, he probably does not care about his half-siblings (as far as he is concerned) and I doubt he considered they may prove a future threat to his dynasty. Of course, now that Stannis has spread the rumours about Joffrey's parentage (which is also the truth), there may be some who wondered that Robert's Bastards resemble Robert much more than Joffrey, but I this is a secondary reason. Joffrey resembling his Mother does not prove he is a Bastard himself.

The Bastards were killed because Cersei felt humiliated at their existence. They are evidence of her husband's infidelity and a slight on her personal honour. Cersei is not one to let such a slight pass unpunished. The fact that Joffrey and her other kids are proof of her own infidelity are neither here nor there. Cersei is a hypocrite as well as a ruthless and malicious individual. The fact that Robert's Bastards exist is too big a blow to her ego, for her to let it go.

Cersei is simply despicable and completely amoral and self-serving. She also does not have the excuse of being young and immature. Cersei is a bad one, that is for sure.

Ranwing

Ranwing

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 10:24 AM

Joffroy really is the perfect enfant terrible, and with all the power afforded him as king, he can become truly monsterious. Yet while I utterly delight in each time he's smacked in the face (which I think should be named the National Sport of Westeros), and long for the day when he will get his ultimate comeuppance (which I'm hoping will be long, painful and humiliating), I still find myself feeling a trace of sadness for him since he is clearly a product of his mother's making. Cersi encouraged all these worst behaviors and instilled absolutely nothing in the way of compassion, sympathy or empathy and this is what you get... the ultimate spoiled brat who seeks only his own satisfaction. There's no way that he won't That moment when it dawned on Cersi that not even she was safe from her son, and what a complete monster he is was one of the subtle game changing moments where you know nothing will be the same after that.

Edited by Ranwing, Apr 2, 2012 @ 11:00 AM.

Constantinople

Constantinople

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 10:25 AM

Varys looked as surprised as anyone by Tyrion's appointment as Acting Hand of the King.

At first I thought either Varys is slipping or the Lannisters have very good security (since I doubted either Tywin or Tyrion would actually be the one to write out the appointment, and since Tyrion told Shae and presumably Bron about his appointment). But then I remembered when Varys told Ned Stark "I'm a good actor". So now I'm not sure if Varys honestly did not know, or if he were play acting.

whitless256

whitless256

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 10:31 AM

The Bastards were killed because Cersei felt humiliated at their existence. They are evidence of her husband's infidelity and a slight on her personal honour. Cersei is not one to let such a slight pass unpunished. The fact that Joffrey and her other kids are proof of her own infidelity are neither here nor there.

As heavyhanded as she was with Littlefinger in this episode, I don't think Cersei is quite so stupid to purge the bastards only because they represent her humiliation at Robert's infidelity. She made it clear last season that, while it was hurtful when she was young, she's no longer wounded by it and it seems to be no secret in the kingdom that Robert enjoys his women. I think she killed them for the exact reason that they were evidence against Joffrey's parantage. How did Jon Arryn figure it out? By observing Robert's bastards. How did Ned Stark figure it out? Same way.

So I don't think she would do this simply because she was humiliated by their existance. She's doing what she's best at, protecting her children through any means necessary. If the bastards led two King's Hands to the conclusion that Joffrey was a bastard himself, why leave the evidence just running around?

Incorporal

Incorporal

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 10:40 AM

I was bored by Melisandre and the whole beach scene. Maybe because I wasn't even exactly sure what was going on.

I tend not to notice bad accents, in fact I didn't even realize Peter Dinklage was American until recently, but then in this episode, yeah, I realized his accent slipped a lot. It was distracting. And I disliked whatever happened to his hair.

Not trying to be mean, but did anyone else think Roz was looking really weighty? Was it just the darkness of that scene/my screen?

Titus

Titus

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 10:52 AM

I think Dinklage does a good job with him, and showTyrion is more interesting to me than bookTyrion is, but I can never fully buy into Dinklage's work simply because his accent is so, so bad. It's baffling to me that he gets so much praise for the role yet nobody ever seems to mention his crazy-bad accent. I find myself constantly pulled out of scenes just by the way he talks--it's this weird mix of American and Faux-British that wanders all over the map.

I think it's hilarious how all three Lannister siblings all have different accents! Cersei, Jaime, and Tyrion were all raised together yet they all sound different. Same goes for the Starks with accents ranging from London to Yorkshire to Ireland via Scotland. I guess the "blame" goes to the actors but the show is so excellent in most other respects that I'm williing to overlook this slight quibble.

Edited by Titus, Apr 2, 2012 @ 10:52 AM.

WickedRipePlum

WickedRipePlum

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 11:01 AM

I think Dinklage does a good job with him, and showTyrion is more interesting to me than bookTyrion is, but I can never fully buy into Dinklage's work simply because his accent is so, so bad. It's baffling to me that he gets so much praise for the role yet nobody ever seems to mention his crazy-bad accent. I find myself constantly pulled out of scenes just by the way he talks--it's this weird mix of American and Faux-British that wanders all over the map.

To be fair lots of the cast have amazingly bad accents, especially the northerners. Dinklage may not be able to do the accent, but he does try harder than most. Richard Madden seems to have given up on the Northern accent entirely (I guess on the theory that Scotland is even further north). Sophie Turner and Maisie Williams never even bothered to try. It doesn't bother me in GOT nearly as much as in say Downtown Abbey, since Westeros, not actually a real place, and I'll take a bit of accent soup in my fantasy.

I loved Stannis's letter edit session. It's everything I find hilarious about Stannis introduced very quickly.

Oh why did this episode have to end so soon. I think I would have been perfectly happy to watch the whole season in one go I'm so happy to have my show back.

Constantinople

Constantinople

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 11:01 AM

Cersei sent one of her relatives, Alton Lannister, to discuss terms with Robb. Alton is, as they say, black of hair. Certainly not any shade of Lannister blond.

Too bad there's nothing like DNA testing in Westeros. How oddly amusing it would be if all of this hair business were much ado about nothing.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 11:03 AM

These illegitimate offspring of Robert have been running around for months since Robert's death, and it is only once Joffrey reminds Cersei about these Royal Bastards that this purge suddenly happens

To be completely fair, Sansa and the Hound convinced Joffrey it was bad luck to kill people in his name day, so I think it's only natural he would've waited to kill Robert's bastards until after he heard about "uncle Jamie" and his mother. After all, this is Joffrey we're talking about and its perfectly plausible for him to believe that only one of his half-brothers would spread such "rumors" about his family.

He didn't have to kill the babies too IMO.

Edited by agora, Apr 2, 2012 @ 11:04 AM.

Ranwing

Ranwing

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 11:05 AM

I think she killed them for the exact reason that they were evidence against Joffrey's parantage. How did Jon Arryn figure it out? By observing Robert's bastards. How did Ned Stark figure it out? Same way.

It's also to eliminate any possible rival claiments to the throne, especially if the populace starts buying Stannis's revelation about Joffrey's parentage. Bastards normally are held outside the line of succession (though there have been cases when they are recognized and legidimized when there is no legidimately born heir) and a real son of Robert (who isn't a clinically insane despot) would be a more viable candidate for ruling than a young man who isn't of Robert's blood. Robert's own brothers would likely not be considered as viable a substitute for Joffrey as one of Robert's older bastards.

sintin

sintin

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 11:15 AM

Robert's own brothers would likely not be considered as viable a substitute for Joffrey as one of Robert's older bastards.

Hmm, I don't think so. Considering all the blood shed to put the Baratheons on the Iron throne, I don't think any side would accept a bastard on the throne without a decree from King Robert on his deathbead. Plus a point was made last season that Renly is the more popular brother. While I'm sure the realm is starting to realize what a monster Joffrey is turning out to be, I don't think they'd favor an unknown bastard over the King's brother.

And really what did she gain by threatening him like that? Yeah she managed to scare him right there, but in the long run? She's now pegged herself as a threat, and her position is not as strong as she thinks it is.

Yeah, that was a spur-of-the-moment victory that
Though even though the actors rocked that scene, I thought it was a little out of character for both of them from what we've been shown last season. Littlefinger is smug, but not stupid enough to actually mock Cersei with his knowledge of the incest to her face. However, I suppose I can buy that Joffrey's behavior and Tyrion's arrival left her off-kilter enough for that error in judgement. And ITA with those that Lena has settled in marvelously this season. I never had an issue with her performance last season, but she's totally owning the role now.

I don't know why, but I thought that the little boy scrubbing the blood off the ground was one of Littlefinger's spies, not Varys'.

Edited by sintin, Apr 2, 2012 @ 11:22 AM.

Vaya

Vaya

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 11:19 AM

The Faith of the Seven are really more the Christian Church of Westeros (with the Seven instead of the Holy Trinity).

Actually I'd say that the Seven are more like the gods of the Roman Empire, while the Old Gods are closer to the Germanic Pagans.

kieran555

kieran555

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 11:24 AM

Well! That was...pretty good. Actually I think I may have been a little bit too hyped up for the season, as I didn't find the episode as awesome as some here. The introduction of some new characters was always going to be tough, summing up where we are since last year and setting in motion the next plots at the same time doubly so, and I think they did a good job, but I think one of the first comments on here was right:

I think this is one I need to watch again. So many plot threads going on at once. Kind of overwhelming.

There were some cool moments, definitely, and I enjoyed the heck out of the episode, but I did feel like I need an extra half hour to tell the same stuff and appreciate it all, and I know what is going on and will go on as a bookwalker.

More specifically:

Joffrey Baratheon, ladies and gentlemen. Making me side with freaking Cersei. Hell, I was even hating him talking shit about Tywin, who I normally hate. He really is an evil shit, no?

He plays it very well, but my first thought in that opening scene, was that they really were not holding back on reminding us all he is a sadistic little shit, are they? He is one, and he played that scene well, but he does need to be more interesting than just fascination at how cruel and terrible he is, and I felt like they could have waited like 5 seconds at least before launching into it. Petty point I know, as that is just the sick kind of guy he is.

Watching all of Robert's bastards slaughtered was one of most brutal things I've seen on TV. And the leader of the soldiers seemed to be enjoying it a bit too much.

Brutal is right. Almost tough to watch in fact, and I liked that I thought I saw a shot of a a Goldcloak looking absolutely disgusted and wrecked by the slaughter - they may cover their faces, making it easier for us to dehumanize them and accept such barbaric acts more easily as believable, but they're people too, and even for heartless, very loyal men that kind of work would be beyond most. I'd bet there would be some defections from the Goldcloak ranks offscreen given that shot.

No kidding. After seeing this episode I'm adding visiting Dubrovnik to my bucket list. King's Landing never looked so good last year.

Though mildly disappointed in the ep (midly!), they truly have stepped up in that regard.

I loved this scene too because it does show poor judgment on both their parts. [Littlefinger] shouldn't have thrown the incest in her face like that. Idiot. I'm not sure why he thought that was a good move. But I loved her for smacking him down.

It was an interesting exchange; I would have thought he would in general be more obsequious - we still haven't seen why he is apparently so useful as to be confident enough to be so bold. I did like his panic though, like when Ned choked him. He's clever, but if someone went direct, he's not got the means to fight that kind of battle it seems.

I wasn't that impressed with Stannis, I haven't read the books but he wasn't what I pictured based on the talk in S1. I don't know, he just didn't impress me.

Nor was I, Morrigan2575. I get where Arutha says that may be part of the point, and why he is not been accepted as natural Baratheon ruler, but I didn't even get the impression he was that tough, a proven commander, and more just a dick. I'm sure when he has more to do I'll see it.

I'm not a fan of him either because even though Tyrion is much, much better written and acted, I get a bit of a Lana Lang/Smallville vibe of you must think this character is awesome.

Gods forbid we come to that, ElizaD. I think there is a bit of a danger there, but I did love that scene with Cersei, and for the moment I'm loving the guy unconditionally.

I love the actress who plays Osha. She just has this presence. Everytime she's on screen I'm kind of transfixed by her. My favorite character on the show.

I'm liking her more, which is a big step up from her truly abysmal first scene in the show, which much as I love this show contained some of the worst acting I've ever seen in my life. Nice loyal little Starkling already though, isn't she?

Speaking of little Starks (Where's Rickon?!), I enjoyed Bran's scene with Maester Luwin. Good to see some actual Lordly duties being done, and a different philosophy of ruling.

Dany: Solid start, but obviously very brief.

Robb: Liked him sounding more boyish with Cat - like he is trying to be gruffer when acting 'kingly'.

Overall, a good start with a very difficult set of tasks for the showrunners, who should have an easier time of it now I think. B+, A for effort.

Edited by kieran555, Apr 2, 2012 @ 12:04 PM.

izabella

izabella

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 11:24 AM

That was Myrcela in the opening scene, right? She seemed so much more grown-up than last season. Like, she had become a young lady, almost ready to be married herself, not a kid anymore. Was she always supposed to be older than Arya?

annsterg

annsterg

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 11:32 AM

I also thought it was really interesting at the end of that scene when they pulled away to see the little scrubber boy. (girl?).

I think the little cleaning boy was just there to illustrate Littlefinger's point: knowledge is power. Cersei knows she threatened Littlefinger, Littlefinger knows it, and courtesy of the overlooked cleaning boy (I mean, who notices servants?), Varys will know it. His "little birds" are everywhere.

I agree -- I think the scrubber in the Cersei/Littlefinger scene was ideal as one of Varys's little birds...but seeing THAT scrubber reminded me of the other scrubber we saw: the one who came out to clean up the blood from the dude the Hound threw over the parapet during the name day entertainment. Same scrubber?

I thought the same thing. She was just saying they ate meat and then a moment later as if on cue the horse falls over. I thought the dragons were going to swoop down and devour it and I did NOT want to see that.

I was already pretty sure that the dragons DON'T eat horse meat because that's probably what Dany has been TRYING to feed them. I'm kind of anxious that what they DO eat is human flesh...so was wondering if any of the Dany's people are going to keel over on this march and ...

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 11:33 AM

That was Myrcela in the opening scene, right? She seemed so much more grown-up than last season. Like, she had become a young lady, almost ready to be married herself, not a kid anymore. Was she always supposed to be older than Arya?

I don't think it matters, Arya was already promised to a son of the guy who left Robb pass last year so I assumed both Myrcela and Joffrey's little brother are going to get married off soon. I did like way they made the Lannisters seemed like a normal family welcoming Tyrion in that scene. They are like a ray of sunshine in the midst of Joffrey's name day IMO.

Edited by agora, Apr 2, 2012 @ 11:34 AM.

ceelovejay

ceelovejay

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 11:34 AM

To be fair lots of the cast have amazingly bad accents, especially the northerners.

And there I sit not able to tell the difference. LOL You guys pointing out the accents, are you in the UK and thus can tell the difference?

Edited by ceelovejay, Apr 2, 2012 @ 11:34 AM.

Vaya

Vaya

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 11:38 AM

Heh, did anyone else think that The Hound's opponent at the beginning looked like the Black Knight from Monty Python and the Holy Grail?

Ireland77

Ireland77

Couch Potato

• Interests:Reading, writing, vacations, all things Irish, ice cream, music, knitting, laughing with friends, baseball (Go Sox!), food, sleep, shopping, movies and TV

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 11:46 AM

I was bored by Melisandre and the whole beach scene. Maybe because I wasn't even exactly sure what was going on.

Basically, in Westeros, the Faith of the Seven is the dominant religion (except in the North, where they worship the Old Gods and in a few other places with different religions that have not yet been introduced). The Faith of the Seven belives in one god with seven different faces - the father, the mother, the warrior, the madien, the crone, the smith and the stranger. Each of the seven faces represents a different aspect of life (i.e., the warrior represents victory in battle, the mother represents fertility Melisandre represents a new religion, as indicated during the episode, where they worship the Lord of the Light. She was burning the reprentatations of the Seven taken from Dragonstone's sept because she has convinced Stannis that he must turn from worshiping the Seven to the Lord of Light in order to gain the throne.

Meshakhad

Meshakhad

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 11:47 AM

In a weird way, Joffrey has actually become one of my favorite characters on the show. For one thing, Jack Gleeson is utterly amazing. Also, the final scene with Joffrey and Cersei actually made Joffrey into someone who should genuinely be feared. Cersei is obviously unable to control him, and his inquiring about (and presumably ordering the massacre of) Robert's bastards indicates that he's not just a little psycho - he's actually a dangerous villain, who obviously intends to rule by fear alone.

My biggest complaint is the absence of Robb's crown. I was really looking forward to seeing the crown of the North.

Also, to be honest, I don't like the actor playing Stannis. He's doing a good job, but I really think Stannis ought to be more physically imposing. No offense, but right now, he looks like Ned Stark or Jaime Lannister could snap him like a twig.

Elehop

Elehop

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 11:51 AM

And there I sit not able to tell the difference. LOL You guys pointing out the accents, are you in the UK and thus can tell the difference?

Not UK but close by, so I'll hop into the discussion:

Stark family: accent soup, but still meet the requirement of British. Sansa and Bran have the classic posh BBC English accent (check out Sansa saying "You cahn't" near the beginning). Arya is from that general neck of the woods but not posh, and definitely not near London. I imagine with the young actors they simply didn't direct them to change their accents. Plus, Arya sounding less posh than the siblings closest in age to her works quite well with her character.

Sean Bean is from Sheffield in the north of England and his contract said he could use his own accent. For the peculiarities of that accent, check out him saying "No, I'd like to read it," to Pycelle about the Incest Revelation book. Pronounced more like "Naaaw".

Robb's actor is Scottish. In the first season he seemed to be trying to push his voice south of the border, but now he's head of the family and he'll be Scottish if he wants, dammit! For him, observe the way his rrrs go on forever.

The problem with Peter Dinklage is that he's not from ANY part of the British Isles and is doing a truly rubbish, totally over-the-top attempt at the accent.

And a word on Ireland, my own home country - I assume that what the commenter referred to re Ireland was the wonderful rambling man getting rained on. I figure the North is big enough it can encompass some Irish-equivalents. And that ramble wouldn't have worked NEARLY as well in any other rhythm.

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 11:53 AM

I'm from the UK, and really don't see a problem with any of the accents. Yes, Jon sounds like he's from Yorkshire and Robb sounds more like he's from Durham, but that doesn't bother me (I assume it's difficult for Richard Madden to drop the Scottish accent).

Sansa and Bran both have accents that are closer to RP (Queen's English) than the others, but for the former, I'd say Sansa probably wanted to be well spoken and refined, and Catelyn encouraged it, and for the latter, I value performance over accent, and if a young actor like Isaac might be hampered by trying to reach Halifax with his accent, then I'd tell him not to worry about it. Arya sounds vaguely Bristolian, but again, performance matters more to me.

As for the Lannisters, eh, I really don't find the differences grating. And again, there are fanwankable reasons for all of them. Cersei was brought up to be a proper and refined lady of the court, so she speaks very well, while Jaime clearly doesn't value that side of things, and prefers being a soldier, so his accent a little muddier. And Tyrion? Well, I'd say the way he speaks is as much a part of his armour as his wit is, and probably as practised.

Some of the minor Northerners have had accents that crossed the spectrum, though. Yorkshire, Lancashire, Scotland, even a couple of Irish guys. But the North is a big place, so again I don't see why they should all sound the same.

The only accent that bothered me at all was Robert's, because Mark Addy was using his usual Yorkshire accent, despite Robert being from the south. Further south than Kings Landing, in fact. But the bluff tones worked for the character, so no biggie.

I thought they'd recast Myrcella when I saw a promo shot of her, she looked so different. But it is the same actress who appeared in season 1 (ever so briefly), so I guess she just grew up a bit. That's going to be a troublesome theme for the writers, I feel, with these young actors. Because watching Hodor have to struggle around with a 6 foot tall Bran on his back is going to be awkward.

Edited by Danny Franks, Apr 2, 2012 @ 11:59 AM.

Scoutlet

Scoutlet

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 11:53 AM

I am reserving judgment on Melisandre. I think they need a fiercer actress to play her, but perhaps her subtlety will prove effective later?

Not enough Jon Snow for me. He is still my favorite male Stark child, and his internal drama is very moving. Robb is better here than in the books but I get a bit of a boy king/wunderkind feel from him that just bores me.

Stannis,, Davos and Craster are all awesome. I thought Craster's Keep was perfection. And given that there are Undead and Giants beyond The Wall, the fact that they basically shrugged off a bunch of incestuous wildlings doesn't surprise me.

kieran555

kieran555

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 11:58 AM

To be fair lots of the cast have amazingly bad accents, especially the northerners.

I am British, and as Elehop says there is an accent soup situation going on, a mix of all over the place, but most are creditable.

I think Dinklage does an ok job - it is highly affected, but I've heard far far worse on this side of the pond and back home in fact, and it is not distracting as his family are meant to be very posh.

Was Littlefinger sounding different to people though? At first I hardly recognized his voice.

They barely touched on religion in the first season (Cat said the old gods were not hers, Arya said she prayed to both, Jaime mocked Ned praying to trees, as we saw Jon swear his oath in front of, and in fact the 'High Septon' was invoked when Ned was executed, with a bloke wearing the seven pointed star that crops up in a lot of places) and not very directly, so I'm not surprised. I think a bit more groundwork could have been done with that last year, but no time in this episode, so best to just thrust it out there and hope people catch up. It's fairly simple, so it shouldn't detract for long.

Edited by kieran555, Apr 2, 2012 @ 11:58 AM.

WickedRipePlum

WickedRipePlum

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 12:03 PM

No but the difference between northern and southern English, and Scottish accents are not hard to spot once you have any sort of reference point. Any more detailed than that, I'm a bit lost and bow to actual UK folk. But some (most) people just sound off when they're trying to do accents.

Edited by WickedRipePlum, Apr 2, 2012 @ 12:08 PM.

Jamoche

Jamoche

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 12:08 PM

Cersi encouraged all these worst behaviors and instilled absolutely nothing in the way of compassion, sympathy or empathy and this is what you get

A scene nobody's mentioned yet - when Joffrey says something to the effect of the Starks being weak for valuing their girls and women too much. Underneath Cersei's apparent non-reaction there's got to be an "oh shit, and just how much does he value me?"

And "power is power"? You keep thinking that, sweetheart, but what you've got is merely force and it's not even yours. It'll only last so long as the people who do have it follow you. It doesn't even have to be Joffrey taking it away - soldiers who'd cut a man's throat for you without blinking may think twice about doing the same to a baby.

Maximum Taco

Maximum Taco

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 12:08 PM

I think Arya's meant to be older, but they're close enough in age not to make much difference (in the book Myrcella is a year older than Bran but a year younger than Arya.)

She's not close to being marriageable yet. I mean Robert and Ned were saying Sansa was still too young at the beginning of last season. But as evidenced by Robb and Lord Walder Frey, it's never too early for a politically favourable betrothal!

Edited by Maximum Taco, Apr 2, 2012 @ 12:16 PM.