SYTYCD on Broadway

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

7 replies to this topic

ggersten

ggersten

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 10:23 AM

Currently, Newsies (at the moment in previews but opening soon) features Thayne Jasperson, Evan Kasprzak, Jesse LeProtto and Alex Wong.
Bring It On is touring with Neill Haskell and Ariana Debose, which is directed/choreographed by Andy Blackenbuehler (We saw it in LA and NappyTabs were there that evening)

Danny Tidwell was in the original Broadway cast of Memphis.

LostLostLost

LostLostLost

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 7:17 PM

ggersten, it's been close to three years ago, but I think Will Wingfield was in "In the Heights" for a while. I never saw any video of it, though.

I found these links elsewhere, but thought I'd pass them on.

Here is the opening night curtain call from Newsies. You see Jess first, doing a spin, Evan follows with a handspring across the stage, then Thayne and Alex come out with a third dancer behind them. The whole ensemble returns to the stage, then each dancer gets a second bow after the actors. Jess comes out first with a heel click, at about 1:15, Thayne is second, Alex is third and Evan is seventh dancer to come out (split leap thingy). It's the most rousing curtain call I've ever seen! I can only imagine what the show was like!

The show is getting great reviews. Even the reviews that mention flaws say that the dancing is the best part of the show. I'm so happy for Evan, Jess, Alex, and Thayne, as well as the rest of these amazing dancers.

Also, Disney is streaming a preview of the full cast recording here. Individual songs can be played at the bottom. Sounds really good...some new songs, too.: Original Broadway Cast Recording

Edited by LostLostLost, Apr 2, 2012 @ 7:19 PM.

LostLostLost

LostLostLost

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 10:04 PM

This is a behind the scenes look at the Newsies cast recording the album. They are shown recording the tap sequences from some of the dances, with the brooms,spoons, etc. All 4 sytycd guys are in this one.
Newsies, recording studio

LostLostLost

LostLostLost

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 12:11 PM

All four sytycd guys can be seen in this visit to the Newsies stage from Good Morning America. One of the GMA hosts learns a tap routine and some other bit parts for Newsies.

http://abcnews.go.co...laylist=2898870

Nightline will have a segment on Newsies tonight, Monday, April 16.

Edit: Due to breaking news (?), the Nightline feature will be rescheduled for a later air date.

Edited by LostLostLost, Apr 16, 2012 @ 2:30 PM.

LostLostLost

LostLostLost

Video Archivist

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 10:24 PM

Newsies is nominated for 8 Tony awards, including best choreography. All four sytycd guys are in this video, showing reactions to the nominations. I hope this means the ensemble will perform a number on the awards show itself, even though they have a performance scheduled just hours before the ceremony is broadcast:

Tony announcements

Here is the aforementioned Nightline feature on Newsies:

Nightline, Newsies

LostLostLost

LostLostLost

Video Archivist

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 6:39 PM

Jordan Cassanova and Kherington Payne will be featured in the Napa Valley Broadway Playhouse production of Cabaret this summer (June 22-July 1).

Playbill-Cabaret

"The production also features...... So You Think You Can Dance performers Kherington Payne and Jordan Casanova as Kit Kat Girls"

LostLostLost

LostLostLost

Video Archivist

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 9:57 PM

Bring It On is scheduled for a limited run on Broadway this fall. If I'm reading this article correctly, the touring cast, which includes SYTYCD alumni Neil Haskell and Ariana Debose, will transfer to the Broadway production. Here's hoping it will get an extended run, ala Newsies!

Playbill---Bring It On

LostLostLost

LostLostLost

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 9, 2012 @ 10:35 PM

Alex Wong, Evan Kasprzak, Jess Leprotto, and Thayne Jasperson will be among the cast of Newsies as they perform at the Tony Awards tomorrow night (Sunday). Looks like a tight race between Newsies and Once for best musical, with the industry leaning towards Once. However, Newsies should win best choreography.

For those who haven't seen it, here is a sample. All 4 are seen throughout, but in particular Alex/Thayne in sleeveless shirts at 0:48 and Jess/Evan doing the splits at 0:59.

The World Will Know

For those interested, the musical has created a "Viddy" account and will be putting up behind-the-scenes videos of "Tony day" before & during the show.

Newsies Viddy

Or is that link doesn't work, it's easy to join, search "Newsies", then "follow" through Twitter or FB: Newsies Viddy--Tony Awards Hopefully, the four sytycd alums will show up on those.

Edited by LostLostLost, Jun 10, 2012 @ 1:25 AM.