Best Ink

• Please log in to reply

247 replies to this topic

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 2:05 AM

Yeah, I agree, dirtybubble. There's no one I'm really rooting for on this show. I almost default to Charlie, just because I think she's gotten screwed a few times and I hate that Alexis obsesses about her. I wanted to like Alexis, but I haven't liked her trying to keep Nicky around over better artists, I think she's someone who has problems with other women, and I think she's overpraised. London? Eh. Jon is another one who's been praised beyond the quality of his work, so I have a hard time getting behind him. With Ink Master, I was really hoping Tommy would win. I just don't really care who wins this one. All of them kind of suck.

I think the thing that bugs me the most about this show is that they tried to do a "women's tattoo" show, instead of doing a quality tattoo show that just happened to air on a female-focused channel. It feels really patronizing, and I hate it. I feel like they're ridiculing me, as a woman, by saying that I can't enjoy a tattoo show without pink dogs and pictures made out of flowers. It really sucks.

Edited by BDArizona, May 2, 2012 @ 2:06 AM.

dirtybubble

dirtybubble

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 10:52 AM

I'm glad Nicky is gone. He seems like a nice kid and all the other artists seemed to like him but he was just waaaaay in over his head. That snake tat was F'ed up! Good lawd what a hot mess!

With Ink Master, I was really hoping Tommy would win.

Me too, me too! As much as I loved James I was hoping for Tommy to win but here is kinda meh. I mean I kinda like Jon and London but whatever...

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 11:08 AM

I think Joe Capodibianco (no idea how to spell his last name) is taking this show WAY too seriously!

Why bother learning to spell his name? Just gonna wind up thinking "Big Boy" (as in Bob's), like everyone else anyway!

And I think Alexis got lucky winning the Flash Challenge because, next to Kyle, I thought she had the worst tattoo.

I'm conflicted about Alexis. I think she's very perky and cute and positive, and probably a good poster child for what the powers that be would like to advertise as an image. Except that crap about keeping her best friend around, which I guess was a bit whacked. Clearly she gets a bit annoyed around the other women in this competition too, then again due to the usual reality show casting, they were, overall, kind of a bunch of nutbars.

dirtybubble

dirtybubble

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 2:39 PM

I think I would have to agree with Jon (or was it London) who asked "what the hell does painting stilleto boots have to do with tattooing?" Really, WTF?

THIS

I think the thing that bugs me the most about this show is that they tried to do a "women's tattoo" show, instead of doing a quality tattoo show that just happened to air on a female-focused channel. It feels really patronizing, and I hate it. I feel like they're ridiculing me, as a woman, by saying that I can't enjoy a tattoo show without pink dogs and pictures made out of flowers. It really sucks.

I agree with totally! None of this crap has to do with tattoos and yet it seems they are bantering to females. I mean I like that there are 2 strong women in this competition, unlike Ink Masters, but you don't have to dumb it down for us--show us skulls and naked women tats we can take it!

Edited by dirtybubble, May 2, 2012 @ 2:40 PM.

thistoo

thistoo

Channel Surfer

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 6:18 PM

Aw. Nicky's tattoos sucked, but now that he's gone I'm kind of sad for him. He seems like good people. I still wouldn't let him near me with a tattoo gun, though.

I want to love Alexis because she's so pretty and has awesome hair, but then she disses Charlie for no good reason when she knows Nicky's the weakest one there. I thought Charlie's tattoo, misguided though the idea was, came out really well. The pink monstrosity and the frame around the chihuahua, not so much.

Maddingcrowd

Maddingcrowd

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 12:30 PM

They made it way too obvious who was going home with the extended Nicky TH, and then after they revealed the bottom two they went to a preview of next week showing Charlie there so obvious it was Nicky. I didn't like Nicky's tattoo or Charlie's but I thought hers was more convoluted and I couldn't tell at first it was a turtle. Why do they keep trotting the nutcase pink lady out on TV? It was completely unfair for anyone to have to get a crazy person as a client.

I too think Alexis is pretty and seems positive but some of her tattoos have a retro vibe that I just don't care for. I didn't like the colors of the cat, although the eyes were well done.

jellywager

jellywager

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 12:46 PM

Jon's tattoo of "Nonnie" looks like the eyes settled in a cross-eyed position after she got hit in the head by a frying pan.

I caught this ON-DEMAND and I saw the same thing. I thought I was wrong since he won(???), but I rewound and paused the picture to the tattoo and the left eye is totally in the wrong placement, it should have been shifted over to what would be the viewer's right. WTH?
And the pirate pin-up that won was beyond hideous! The nose was too flat and everything was really ugly.
In fact, I've hated all of the tattoos on this show. I'm no expert but to my untrained eye I can see all of the flaws. Are they fixed by professionals? I felt really bad for the person who got the day-of -the dead pin-up pointing in the wrong direction. How in the hell can that even be fixed?
They all really suck, but I'll keep watching in horror. LOL.

Oh, and is it necessary for the hostess to yell every word? Is that her party in the back?

Big Boy loves to scream the f-word. His sole patch looks like he have a gapping mouth from far away.

Lastly, earplug are fug. How original that every.single.one of the "artists" has them. snerk.

ETA:

And I think Alexis got lucky winning the Flash Challenge because, next to Kyle, I thought she had the worst tattoo.

OMG, that portrait looked like it was of the exorcist. Do the judges and the "skins" have eyes? That work? Is it viewing the tats on TV make them look like shit? His wife looked like a garbage pail kid, it if was me I'd be so insulted.

And you know what I think about when i see the rushed tattoos? Keloids.

Edited by jellywager, May 6, 2012 @ 12:55 PM.

dirtybubble

dirtybubble

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 2:49 PM

Lastly, earplug are fug. How original that every.single.one of the "artists" has them. snerk.

Too many artists that I know of try way too hard to be "different & alternative".

Tonite's the Michael Jackson tattoo challenge. Since these dopes have proven they can't tat portraits or anything with alot of detail it will be interesting to see how this turns out.

London's kinda cute so it would be nice to see him in the final 3.

stretchess

stretchess

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 4:59 PM

I thought only Alexis and Charlie had interesting designs. I despised the text in Jon's tattoo --- it was too big and dramatic for my tastes. I thought Alexis should win but I like London fine. He's cute.

dirtybubble

dirtybubble

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 9:48 AM

Yeah Jon's text on his tat was way too big and it over powered the rest of the tat but I liked the skull idea. I get that skulls really aren't part of M.J. but everything else looked like him so much that you could easily tell it was a Michael Jackson tat.

Yeah London's a cutie pie. I liked his tat but I hated the stupid hand holding the microphone. It was so unnatural looking and since it was right in the center of the tat that it took away from the beauty of everything else.

Alexis & Charlie were equal in my eyes and it could have been one or the other for me.

Oh and ENUFF with the "I'm an artist, I'm an artist" bullshit! OMG who are you trying to convience us or yourself. Do you think Leondaro DaVinci went around trying to prove he's an artist? A true artist just simply is; barking it out every 12 mins doesn't make it anymore true.

Edited by dirtybubble, May 10, 2012 @ 9:53 AM.

Maddingcrowd

Maddingcrowd

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 11:27 AM

I never understand when they are dinged for doing what the 'skin' insists they want. Isn't that the entire point of being a tattoo artist? People want what they want and no matter how stupid you think it is, it isn't your skin. I am equally sure that if Joe would have said "I won't do a skull tattoo" he would have been chastised for that as well.

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 10:20 PM

On one hand, I do think you have to listen to what a client wants. On the other hand, I think there may be a time (in real life, not on a competitive reality show) where an artist tells the client that s/he can't do this particular tattoo. Suggest changes that can be made. Suggest the client see another artist if you can 't agree. In this setting, though, that's not an option.

I kind of liked Charlie's tattoo of Michael Jackson, but I knew she would be the one booted. I knew that before the show ever started. Both John and Alexis have been praised to high heaven, even when doing shitty tattoos. I just didn't think they'd get rid of London. So, this one was kind of anti-climatic for me.

dirtybubble

dirtybubble

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 9:59 AM

So any idea who's gonna win tonite? My guess is either Jon or Alexis. Meh I'd be ok with any 3 of them really.<BR><BR>Also this is usually the time the network starts announcing if the show is coming back or not so since we haven't heard anything I would assume this is it. I understand why. This show has been a poor man's version of Ink Masters.

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 6:38 PM

I would be surprised if it's not Alexis. I think she's been given the winner's edit. Of these three, she's probably the best. That's just not saying much.

dirtybubble

dirtybubble

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 10:15 AM

Congrats to London! His Mother Nature tat is what really sold it for me. That was his best work I've seen so far. Yeah I didn't really read love into either but it was still nice. Maybe if the apple the lady was holding was red or something but still good job!

dramawitch

dramawitch

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 11:00 AM

I had a feeling London would win from the beginning. I feel he's been the most consistant of the remaining and his tattoos last night were pretty good. I like that they added that it was HIS version of love and not the universal one. I actually thought the last challenge was lame but I appreciated it. I'd have loved to see Roman's take on the theme, though I can't stand the guy. Machine Love. I liked London best so I'm happy he won though I hated hearing him refer to his "chick".

dirtybubble

dirtybubble

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 9:46 AM

I liked London best so I'm happy he won though I hated hearing him refer to his "chick".

Yeah that bugged me too. Its like calling your gal a broad or an old lady. Its just so condesending. Soooo 50's kinda condesending. Meh at least he's gonna spend the money on a nice honeymoon so yay to London.

Maddingcrowd

Maddingcrowd

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 10:55 AM

I'm glad London won. I thought his mother nature tattoo was beautiful and I agree that love means different things to different people. Joe's tattoos really looked too simple and I hated the gigantic lantern Alexis did (althought I like that she had a theme that continued through all three).

I never cease to be amazed at 'skins' who just let these artists tattoo random tattoos on them. To me, a tattoo is so personal that I would only want one that had deep personal meaning to me. JMO of course.

dirtybubble

dirtybubble

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 2:52 PM

I never cease to be amazed at 'skins' who just let these artists tattoo random tattoos on them. To me, a tattoo is so personal that I would only want one that had deep personal meaning to me. JMO of course.

The exact same thing happened on the season finale of Ink Masters. The artists could do just whatever they wanted to represent their style of work. *shrug* It was different skins though, I was kinda shocked that they brought back some of their same skins from past challenges. It makes me wonder how much time had passed between tattoos. It takes about 2-3 weeks for a tattoo to heal completely. There's scabbing and peeling and itchiness and man does a tat look ugly while its healing. All of their previous tats looked good.

DementedDaisy

DementedDaisy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 3, 2013 @ 1:50 PM

It's back tonight. Will anyone (but me) watch?

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2013 @ 4:39 AM

I didn't realize it was back until this thread popped up today. I was watching the 16-inning Arizona-St. Louis baseball game last night, so I missed it. If it's On Demand, I'll catch it there.

ghoulina

ghoulina

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2013 @ 7:26 AM

I watched.

I really like Teresa, she is amazing. I kind of picked her out before they even started working - she seemed like someone I would have been friends w/ in HS. I was a punkrocker back in my day. So I like her style, but she is also just incredibly skilled.

I felt really badly for Kelly, and was glad they gave her another chance. That client was just impossible.

DementedDaisy

DementedDaisy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2013 @ 5:34 PM

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that Pete Wentz was brought in to be a more female-friendly version of Dave Navarro. ;-) I'm not trying to make comparisons between the 2 shows, but it's tough sometimes. They are essentially the same show (especially when you take into account that both use the term "flash challenge"), but the Spike/Oxygen differences are glaringly obvious.

Anyway, I was disappointed that only 3 of the contestants are in their 30's and none are older than 35. Even more confusing was that the youngest is only 21! How can he be the best at anything after only working for 2 years? After 9 tattoos in 4 countries, I would never allow someone that inexperienced to put something permanent on my skin. *shrug* But that could just be my prejudices.

I'd talk about the work, but I don't remember much of it, or any names. I felt bad for the woman whose client left (looking up, I see her name is Kelly), but her work was much worse than the others, IMO. I would have given the win to the black and grey hyena. Who did win? I remember it was a guy, but I honestly cannot remember what he did.

Edited by DementedDaisy, Apr 4, 2013 @ 5:35 PM.

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2013 @ 5:56 PM

I was a punkrocker back in my day.

What do you mean back in your day? I'm 41, and still into the scene. ;)

the Spike/Oxygen differences are glaringly obvious.

I don't think there is much difference, to be honest. They're both garbage cable channels with tendencies to sensationalism and lowest-common-denominator shows.

DementedDaisy

DementedDaisy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2013 @ 6:44 PM

I mean in style. Spike is very dark and gritty, meant to appeal to the guys in their audience. Oxygen, however, is very bright and happy. Other than that, yes, I agree that they are not exactly the best in cable television.

QueenBee59

QueenBee59

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 4, 2013 @ 7:21 PM

Pete Wentz is lacking charisma, he's so robotic. I felt bad for the woman whose client stormed off, but that thing, what there was of it, was AWFUL. I was shocked that she didn't go home for that piece of crap.

planetoid

planetoid

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 4, 2013 @ 7:42 PM

Who did win? I remember it was a guy, but I honestly cannot remember what he did.

The guy who did the corset ribbon. I thought it was fantastic -- that puckered look that he gave the skin and everything down to the grommets was clean and dimensional. No idea if that sort of thing is easier or harder than a realistic animal with a ton of shading and fur, but I personally liked it better.

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2013 @ 8:41 PM

I mean in style. Spike is very dark and gritty, meant to appeal to the guys in their audience. Oxygen, however, is very bright and happy.

I get ya. Yeah, they both appeal to the worst stereotypes ever.

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2013 @ 8:59 PM

I just watched the first episode in its entirety. Why the hell were they standing in front of the Arizona state flag during judging?

Edited by BDArizona, Apr 10, 2013 @ 8:59 PM.

dramawitch

dramawitch

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2013 @ 6:33 AM

Not a fan of the challenge last night. I cannot believe that Teresa was not put in the bottom three. She misspelled the tattoo, which truly sucks because it was the BEST of the black light tats in execution. Her painting was also the best and she got gyped in the flash challenge. That being said, it makes no sense to me that a tattoo artist cannot do lettering.

I also had no problem with...I forget his name....the argument at the end of the episode that came down to which tattooer had bad lines. That's a huge factor. And I agree that Melvyn's tattoos were basically worse than the girl who was also in the bottom two twice.