Best Ink

• Please log in to reply

247 replies to this topic

dirtybubble

dirtybubble

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 2:53 PM

So is anyone gonna watch this show? It premiers tonight on Oxygen at 10pm.

Honestly I've been missing Ink Masters and I do love tattoos so I think I will give this show a chance. Here's the link to the website http://best-ink.oxygen.com/

Nena

Nena

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 6:34 PM

I'm sure I will at some point. Every time I see the ad, I think "oh look, it's the softer side of Ink Master". Then I wonder what would happen if Oxygen did a remake of every show on Spike, and decided I really don't want to see a more feminine, bitchy version of 1000 Ways to Die.

Going in with low expectations, though. Reading the bios, this looks more like they were casting for type than talent, and it sounds like a lot of them are artists who also do tats rather than tattoo artists.

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 11:05 PM

I'm glad someone posted about this before it started, or I wouldn't have known it was on. I'm definitely going to watch. From the description for the first episode, it looks like they're pulling directly from the Ink Master timeline.

Eh. I didn't love that...at all. I hate the drama-stirring bullshit of having the contestants vote the bottom three. I thought the host was horrific. The way she stresses every other word is annoying as fuck. She's hosting a tattoo competition because of the two tiny tattoos on her back? What a rebel.

I'll probably check out another episode or two, but I'm not sold.

Edited by BDArizona, Mar 28, 2012 @ 1:02 AM.

Nena

Nena

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 1:07 AM

I just kept thinking, Ink Master first flash challenge: tattoo a dead pig in a meat locker while your hands go numb. Best Ink first flash challenge: draw a butterfly. It's like the Ralph Wiggum of tattoo shows.

queasy

queasy

Stalker

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 8:08 AM

From the coming attractions, I guess there might be some interest in seeing that one judge with the Big Boy hairdo scream at a contestant, but otherwise it's a poor Ink Master relative. Really points up what a huge difference production values and the host makes to a show. Hey, contestants! The Ink Master artists each got an entire work room to themselves, so your bitty cubicles ain't all that.

Having the clients come out during judging is nice since we can see more of how the tattoo looks on them as a whole. I liked that the clients were dismissed before the judges started their critiques so at least they didn't have to hear in person that their work was awful.

I suppose I'm interested enough in seeing the actual tatoos to keep watching and can FF through the icky faux drama. But covering up a 2" tattoo with some giant 8" thing? Again, I really feel for the clients. (I refuse to call them skins, or canvases, or anything else.)

dirtybubble

dirtybubble

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 10:20 AM

This is the poor man's version of Ink Master. Honestly it made me miss Ink Masters that much more. I do NOT understand how an American Idol reject with 2 itty bitty tats on her back can be a host--and that stupid giggling she did.

Meh I might watch if there is simply nothing else on but this isn't something I would wait to see each week.

Galloways Cave

Galloways Cave

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 10:30 AM

I wonder if the contestants will always pick the bottom three. This could turn into "Survivor: Best Ink" real quick.

I have no clue who the host is and really don't want to know. I wasn't impressed. I also wonder if this show will continue with the ridiculous time restraints. If they really want to see good work, give them the time to do it.

That zombie tat was awful. Can you imagine how that thing will look in 30 years, on a grandmother no less?

I guess I'll also watch for the tats but I'm out once the fake drama starts.

taalsi

taalsi

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 3:39 PM

that one judge with the Big Boy hairdo

I was too busy staring at his style of clothing to pay much attention to this hair. Is buttoning just the top button on a shirt some fashion statement that I'm unaware of? It wouldn't be so noticeable if his big gut wasn't making it more obvious.

She's hosting a tattoo competition because of the two tiny tattoos on her back?

Thank you! When she said that, I expected her to turn around and have the most massive, gnarliest tattoo ever. I almost have more tattoos than her and I don't even have any.

That zombie tattoo was craptastic! Bumpit hair girl needed to go and crying chick needs to go next.

Edited by taalsi, Mar 28, 2012 @ 3:40 PM.

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 5:11 PM

I also wonder if this show will continue with the ridiculous time restraints.

When I saw the "skins" come in the night before for consultation, then be told to come back the next day, I was actually hoping the time restraints would go away. I thought that was a really good idea. To have them come back the next day and actually have less time than on Ink Masters? That pissed me off. Maybe Ink Masters made the artists do the consultation within the overall time limit, so it evens out, but it still bugged me.

maatkare

maatkare

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 6:42 PM

Ink Master first flash challenge: tattoo a dead pig in a meat locker while your hands go numb. Best Ink first flash challenge: draw a butterfly.

Hee! Yeah, that's kind of what I thought, although Ink Master tries so hard to be renegade-bad-@$$-edgy that it's a caricature in itself. Since I have time on my hands I'll probably watch but man--from the opening montages the Best Ink artists really don't seem to be very good or experienced. I guess when your show is on OWN you don't get the cream of the crop.

queasy

queasy

Stalker

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 6:46 PM

I do NOT understand how an American Idol reject with 2 itty bitty tats on her back can be a host--and that stupid giggling she did.

Ah. I thought she was the chick from Biggest Loser. Obviously didn't care enough to literally lift a finger and look it up.

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 7:27 PM

Not only was the first challenge the exact same first challenge that Ink Masters had, but I saw that they're going to do something with cars later on. From what I read, this show was actually shot before Ink Masters, so they're not really copying. Still, it is going to have that effect on your audience when they've already seen a tattoo competition that used the same basic format and similar challenges.

The one thing I did like about this show was that there were more women artists than there were on Ink Masters. I know almost as many female artists as males, so that was more real to me.

stekkin

stekkin

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 7:31 PM

Maybe Ink Masters made the artists do the consultation within the overall time limit, so it evens out, but it still bugged me.

No, "Ink Masters" had the artists consult with their "canvasses" on the same day that they were matched up. The consultation was not timed; only the tattoo itself was timed. BTW, I just saw the "No Prior Knowledge" video about this train wreck--I mean, remake--so now I have no need to see the show itself. ;)

Edited by stekkin, Mar 29, 2012 @ 3:16 PM.

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 8:20 PM

The consultation was not timed; only the tatto itself was timed.

In that case, this is much worse. I didn't appreciate the reduced time they gave them at all. No wonder so many of those tattoos turned out so badly. Can you imagine trying to later get one of the cover-ups covered up?

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 1:07 AM

Prediction: Just like the OTHER tattoo show, this one is going to turn out to be a circus of misogyny. They cast more women than the other show, and even have a female judge, but its still gonna happen.

My bet, for example, is if they stick with the format of the hamsters voting, then the guys will stick together vote-wise and the women won't, so the women will be the bottom 3 consistently, until most if not all are gone. Also that Bob's Big Boy judge? Not sure at all he likes the chicks doin' the sacred ink.

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 7:17 PM

Just like the OTHER tattoo show, this one is going to turn out to be a circus of misogyny

While I thought Ink Masters started off poorly with regards to the female contestants (the grouping them together as "the girls", instead of letting them rise or fall on their own individual merits), I didn't find it especially misogynistic overall. I don't think this show will be, either. I think the men probably will band together, but that's on the contestants, not the show itself.

mamabraxas

mamabraxas

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 9:16 PM

Prediction: Just like the OTHER tattoo show, this one is going to turn out to be a circus of misogyny. They cast more women than the other show, and even have a female judge, but its still gonna happen.

Them's some strong words. Like most of tattoo culture, the other tattoo show was a sausagefest filled with sexist attitudes and assumptions, but i don't know that it - or Best Ink - was woman-hating.

Like i said in the other tattoo forum, i do hope that they do a dark skin challenge. I hate that all these tattoo shows conveniently ignore that a significant amount of tattooed people are brown and black folks with specific concerns.

Edited by mamabraxas, Mar 29, 2012 @ 9:16 PM.

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 11:16 PM

I can't remember whether it was this show or that other show when one of the contestants specifically said they look for the client with the lighter complexion. If they do a people-of-color challenge (and I'd like to see that), they'll have to be careful about wildly varying skin tones, or you're going to get an entire episode of someone whining about a client's dark skin. That would make me really uncomfortable, and I doubt they'd want to risk sending that kind of message.

Edited by BDArizona, Mar 29, 2012 @ 11:17 PM.

mamabraxas

mamabraxas

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 9:59 PM

Yeah, and that's probably why they won't touch a dark skin challenge at all on this show. Pity though. Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth my first tattoo was done by a white artist. I didn't fully trust that he'd do me justice, but he himself told me that a real artist can work with all skin tones and give them something beautiful. And he did. To this day though, if i ever go to an artist who's not a person of color, i grill em hard. Show me the receipts, Diane!

FashionVictim19

FashionVictim19

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 10:15 PM

I slightly agree with those saying the judge seemed to not like the girls. A girl got hell for putting a mountain over the tattoo and a buffalo below, but the actual piece was huge and yes, it was dark, but I thought it matched the idea. You have a male artist that talked the client into something within his comfort level (as opposed to the girl that did the zombie tattoo even though she was hesitant) and another guy who did a very simple swallow, who actually made the top two? I'll give it another go, but I won't continue watching if it's that blatant that he prefers the males to females.

Edited by FashionVictim19, Apr 1, 2012 @ 10:16 PM.

LucyJJane

LucyJJane

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 1:45 AM

Just watched the premiere episode. It's no Ink Master, but I'll watch it to pass the time between seasons.

Joizey girl with her Forever 21 wardrobe and bump-it was soo annoying and I'm glad she went home. She clearly needed more experience than 2 years for a show like this. She was fodder from the minute she walked on the screen. That zombie tattoo was fugly as hell and it was a total copout to tattoo a shitload of black on the horizon where the words used to be.

I can already tell that dude with the mohawk who does "bio-mechanical" tattoos and swings his dick around like he's some sort of household name is going to be awful. You do tattoos, dude, you're not curing cancer.

All in all, like everyone's been saying, it's a poor man's Ink Master. I can't believe fucking Kimberley Caldwell is hosting it, the talent pool must have been pretty shallow. And Sabina Kelly is so fake and plastic-looking she makes Heidi Montag look like the girl next door.

Edited by LucyJJane, Apr 2, 2012 @ 1:47 AM.

dirtybubble

dirtybubble

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 9:59 AM

As a female myself I must say I didn't find Ink Masters an anti woman show at all. If you screw up you get your a$$ chewed out just like the guys did. Bring some strong, confident females on the show and they'll shine.

And for all the faults of this show I didn't think it was particularly tough on the women either. A female won the flash challenge and yeah there were 3 girls in the bottom but darn it they deserved to be there because their work was low grade. Now thats the judges though, how the other male contestants are gonna treat the women is another story.

Edited by dirtybubble, Apr 2, 2012 @ 10:00 AM.

chainey

chainey

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 6:06 PM

I don't get OWN or Oxygen and woke up to this show and now have no idea where I saw it. Where else on the TV dial is it?? Thanx!

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 12:56 AM

I don't get OWN or Oxygen and woke up to this show and now have no idea where I saw it. Where else on the TV dial is it??

I may be insane, but I thought I saw it repeated on Bravo this weekend. Is Oxygen part of NBC/Universal?

As for tonight's show I cal Bull and Shit on Roman winning. The guy acts like an ass, runs off his client, and gets rewarded with a new client and the win? That's enough to put me off this show...if nothing else is on this time next Tuesday.

Overall, I thought most of the tattoos were absolute crap tonight.

Edited by BDArizona, Apr 4, 2012 @ 12:57 AM.

LucyJJane

LucyJJane

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 1:31 AM

I agree. The pinups were shitty.

And Roman's wasn't even technically a pinup. He's annoying. He could have handled that consultation so much better than he did. Difficult clients are something that I'm quite positive tattoo artists have to deal with, and that girl's requests weren't that outrageous. He was basically like, "fuck your ideas, here's what I want to do, and if you don't agree, fuck off because you're dumb." He was beyond rude and unprofessional. Yes, the girl was difficult and had stupid requests considering the time constraint, but he could have worked with her and turned out a solid product, considering he did a half-sleeve with the new girl that was super detailed. He's a dick, and I wouldn't want him tattooing me, talent or not.

REALLY glad Meghan is gone. I didn't get what the big deal about the direction of the tattoo was, but I also forget where the placement was. I remember on Ink Master they made a fuss because the portrait's face was towards the armpit (which DID look stupid) but I guess a pinup is supposed to be a certain way? I know next to nothing about tattoos so I could be talking out my ass here.

Jessica is seriously unstable. She needs to get on (or back on) medicine. I know it makes for good television, but it's seriously uncomfortable to watch someone go through a complete emotional cycle in the span of an hour. I don't know how many more episodes I can handle of her going from laughing to pissed off to crying hysterically and back again. It's disturbing.

BDArizona, I didn't even think about the whatthefuckery that was Roman's wins this episode. I feel like they blow a lot of smoke up his ass. I hope this isn't Ink Master finale 2.0, where the winner was talented but didn't deserve it on attitude. I have a bad feeling they're setting us up for a Roman finale.

Edited by LucyJJane, Apr 4, 2012 @ 1:36 AM.

iggystar

iggystar

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 8:44 AM

Someone please explain why the contestants are choosing the bottom three? Is there any justifiable reason at all besides obviously being a drama-stirring device? Even my teenager pointed out, "Um, this isn't Survivor, why are they casting votes?" That was my number one issue with this show, it makes NO sense.

Roman....I can't. So if a skin doesn't agree with his vision he'll either coerce or not work on them? How did he get to stay in the competition, much less win?

I totally agree about the host, "Business in front....party in the back!" I too was expecting this completely covered back a full on, butterfly spectacle or something. Two measly tats? They could almost pick old tat-free me if that's the level of experience needed to host. Not to mention, they could have chosen someone prominent in the tattoo world because no one knows who this chick is.

Sadly, I thought some of the pinups were kind of nice, so I feel like a complete novice and it looks like I'm not going to learn anything either.

dirtybubble

dirtybubble

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 9:31 AM

Count me in on the Roman hate bus! UGH what an insufferable a$$.

I'm glad the black guy stayed (I can't remember their names yet). I like his style and attitude and I thought his tattoo looked pretty good even though it didn't have any color to it. I kinda understand what he was saying about fake people but I do think the other guy was just trying to be nice and not offend anyone's work.

bawarner

bawarner

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 10:08 AM

As for tonight's show I cal Bull and Shit on Roman winning. The guy acts like an ass, runs off his client, and gets rewarded with a new client and the win? That's enough to put me off this show...if nothing else is on this time next Tuesday.

AND

Jessica is seriously unstable. She needs to get on (or back on) medicine. I know it makes for good television, but it's seriously uncomfortable to watch someone go through a complete emotional cycle in the span of an hour. I don't know how many more episodes I can handle of her going from laughing to pissed off to crying hysterically and back again. It's disturbing.

To both of you I say: that's beyond WORD. It's more like the wordiest word I could ever word!

I don't know shit about tats but even I was saying "what the hell?" when Roman even made the top two let alone winning. I couldn't believe he didn't get dinged in any way for how he treated his client (I refuse to call them "skins"). He was a complete dick to that woman.

And then to have Jessica being Jessica on top of Roman's shitiness was too much. She doesn't even seem to have enough talent to offset her emotional outbursts.

I'll watch if there's nothing else on but the contestants are enough to turn me almost completely off this show.

queasy

queasy

Stalker

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 10:24 AM

Except for the deliberately ghoulish ones, aren't pin-up girls supposed to be pretty? That was a big factor on Ink Master and wasn't even mentioned here that we heard. A few of the faces were seriously jacked up, including Roman's, if you ask me. But my favorite was the seated girl with the powder puff that ended up in the bottom three, so what do I know.

iggystar

iggystar

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 10:51 AM

But my favorite was the seated girl with the powder puff that ended up in the bottom three, so what do I know.

Hers was among my favorites too and I seem to remember the guest judge having nice things to say about it as well.