Full Court Press with Bill Press: No, You Can't Wear Your PJs to Work Anymore

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

12 replies to this topic

Aurora Borealis

Aurora Borealis

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 12:41 PM

Courtesy of Chief Media Officer Keith Olbermann, a brand new morning show on Current TV from 6am-9am weekdays debuted yesterday. Bill's doing the Imus thing - filming his radio show from the studio to air on TV. Bill is already an established radio presence, and has substituted for Keith several times - I guess that was his audition...

Topic title is based on something said today - Bill was saying how he had to goet used to 'dressing up' now that he's on TV and people can see him.

I really hope this show succeeds - I am *SO* tired of the nitwits over at Morning Joe!!

babypinkfish

babypinkfish

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 1:13 PM

YES! A morning show without Mika mugging, Joe yelling over everyone and the neverending presence of Mark Halperin?

Sign.Me.Up. (sorry Willie)

Followed by Stephanie Miller. Some of her schtick gets old after a while, but she beats Chuck Todd (who is insightful about once a week and then keeps repeating it)

Edited by babypinkfish, Mar 27, 2012 @ 1:15 PM.

Aurora Borealis

Aurora Borealis

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 6:43 PM

I forgot to set the DVR for series recording so I missed most of today, but what I've seen just in the few minutes I've watched so far, impresses me. Who knew a guy sitting in front of a microphone talking to other people sitting in front of their own microphones could be so informative??? I'm also liking that there are viewer/listener calls, which breaks things up a bit. Can you imagine Joe & Mika responding to callers????

Aurora Borealis

Aurora Borealis

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 12:24 PM

Bueller? Bueller?

I can't be the only one watching this show!!! (Can I?)

prophetreturns

prophetreturns

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 8:02 PM

I listen to it while I'm at work. Today Sandra Fluke was on. She was very impressive. She could have a future in media...unless she wants to do something more important.

Aurora Borealis

Aurora Borealis

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 9:02 PM

Agreed, prophetreturns. But I wouldn't be surprised if her recent experiences with certain media figures soured her on a full career. I'm actually just glad to know how to pronounce her last name finally...;)

Eliot

Eliot

Stalker

• Interests:What, you mean there's a world outside of TV?

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 9:09 PM

I am a raging liberal, but I detest Bill Press. He is an uninformed boob.

Sadly, I actually prefer Douche and Shrieka.

4Sibes

4Sibes

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 10:05 AM

Just wandered in here. Who are Douche and Shrieka?

Eliot

Eliot

Stalker

• Interests:What, you mean there's a world outside of TV?

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 1:53 PM

Oh, sorry 4Sibes. Over on the Morning Joe boards we refer to Joe Scarborough & Mika Brezsinksi as "Douche" and "Shrieka" (among other non-endearments). "Douche" is short for "Doucheborough" and Mika is just "Shrieka" because she's always ranting and raving about how fat people are.

I used to listen to Bill Press's radio show on Sirius, and he just annoyed the living crap out of me. I always got the sense that he never truly believed or tried to understand any of the points he was trying to make - he was just paying everything lip service because he was "supposed" to be a liberal. And he'd frequently get his facts slightly wrong, in such a way as to make him appear poorly informed. Just as one example: A few years ago there was a big brouhaha in the liberal blogosphere about this docudrama ABC was planning to air about the lead-up to 9/11 that was slanted to place most of the blame on the Clinton administration (including one fictionalized scene where an administration official declines to order a hit on Bin Laden's camp without Pakistan's permission). Now, a lot of people objected to the airing of the film because it blurred fact and fiction and they complained about it, very vocally. Bill Press got on the bandwagon with everyone else, raging about how this "ABC News documentary" shouldn't be shown, etc. etc. etc. Except it wasn't a documentary, and it wasn't being aired by ABC News. It was, basically, a made-for-TV movie. BIG difference. Press couldn't or wouldn't understand the difference, and he ended up undercutting his own cause by looking like a hysterical boob who didn't know the difference between fact and fiction.

I also hated him when attended the National Press Correspondent's dinner (the one where Stephen Colbert appeared) and went on and on about all the pundits he'd been rubbing elbows with ("I saw Chris Matthews! WOW!") and how funny the Bush impersonator was. It was so fawning and sycophantic - it made it clear to me that he was just biding his time, mourning his glory days when he was a co-host on Crossfire or whatever TV show it was he used to appear on.

I guess now he's got his wish, kind of.

Aurora Borealis

Aurora Borealis

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 8:04 PM

Oh, sorry 4Sibes. Over on the Morning Joe boards we refer to Joe Scarborough & Mika Brezsinksi as "Douche" and "Shrieka" (among other non-endearments). "Douche" is short for "Doucheborough" and Mika is just "Shrieka" because she's always ranting and raving about how fat people are.

I used to listen to Bill Press's radio show on Sirius, and he just annoyed the living crap out of me. I always got the sense that he never truly believed or tried to understand any of the points he was trying to make - he was just paying everything lip service because he was "supposed" to be a liberal. And he'd frequently get his facts slightly wrong, in such a way as to make him appear poorly informed. Just as one example: A few years ago there was a big brouhaha in the liberal blogosphere about this docudrama ABC was planning to air about the lead-up to 9/11 that was slanted to place most of the blame on the Clinton administration (including one fictionalized scene where an administration official declines to order a hit on Bin Laden's camp without Pakistan's permission). Now, a lot of people objected to the airing of the film because it blurred fact and fiction and they complained about it, very vocally. Bill Press got on the bandwagon with everyone else, raging about how this "ABC News documentary" shouldn't be shown, etc. etc. etc. Except it wasn't a documentary, and it wasn't being aired by ABC News. It was, basically, a made-for-TV movie. BIG difference. Press couldn't or wouldn't understand the difference, and he ended up undercutting his own cause by looking like a hysterical boob who didn't know the difference between fact and fiction.

I also hated him when attended the National Press Correspondent's dinner (the one where Stephen Colbert appeared) and went on and on about all the pundits he'd been rubbing elbows with ("I saw Chris Matthews! WOW!") and how funny the Bush impersonator was. It was so fawning and sycophantic - it made it clear to me that he was just biding his time, mourning his glory days when he was a co-host on Crossfire or whatever TV show it was he used to appear on.

I guess now he's got his wish, kind of.

Thanks for the info, eliot. I'd never heard of Bill Press before this (radio reception at work is sucky at best (kinda ironic when we're basically right under all of the antennae on the roof) and we are prohibited from streaming online. It's only been a week, but I'm starting to see what you mean about his mannerisms. But I will freely acknowledge that I am still giddy over having a decent alternative to Douche & Cougar and am still in the honeymoon phase. The Fact that people can actually TALK - and FINISH THEIR SENTENCES! - is still novel & exciting for me. Get back to me in a month or two...

4Sibes

4Sibes

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 9:33 PM

Thanks! I'm getting used to cable/satellite TV after a year of self imposed exile to the land of streaming through my Roku. Lots to catch up on.

olvidado

olvidado

Fanatic

• Interests:Fave shows: The Wire, Treme, Burn Notice, Covert Affairs, Suits, House of Lies, Bleach, Soul Eater, Space Dandy, FLCL
    Fave music: Soul, R & B, Rock 'n Roll (punk to prog), J-Rock

Fave sports teams: San Francisco Giants/49ers; Oakland Raiders; Houston Texans; Mercedes Benz AMG Petronas F1

and...

Cats, electric guitars, songwriting, photography, my girlfriend and her daughter.

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 10:19 PM

To me, it felt like it took until 4:30 for Bill to get his groove going this morning. Anybody else?

Aurora Borealis

Aurora Borealis

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 11:44 AM

I'm a bit surprised at myself because the 'honeymoon' is apparently over...since I can't get the show live, I have to watch it on DVR when I get home from work. And, by the time I get home from work, the last thing I want to do is listen to the same program for three hours. The info is old news by then.

Disappointing, because I'd really like MSNBC's morning schedule to implode and I was hoping to be part of it. :(