20-6:" This Is Wicked Strange (Baku, Azerbaijan)" 2012.03.18

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

136 replies to this topic

taalsi

taalsi

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 6:43 AM

Unless, of course, Phil's colon smells like cologne.

I'm sure it does and not Old Spice, either. Anyone that can pop an eyebrow like that, has got it going on....everywhere.

I almost wish the Guidos had gotten done first just so I could see if they'd actually done it correctly. When one of them (don't know their names) said he didn't read the instructions, I let out a Homer Simpson "D'oh!"

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 6:47 AM

I did too. Based on that comment alone, i was sure that he was going to stack the wrong number of rows or something.

Captain Asshat

Captain Asshat

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 8:58 AM

I didn't have a problem with that statement, since it was essentially true. As they commented during the episode, they were not eligible for the FF (having already won the previous FF), so second place was as high as they could possibly have finished (unless Rachel and Dave REALLY got lost on the way to the pit stop.)

I just looked at my TV and said, "I guess this means your FF win doesn't count as a win for you, eh?"

Cheetah0131

Cheetah0131

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 11:09 AM

Yes, Art/JJ brag a bit, but since they're a very strong team who continues to race hard and excel, I'm not all that offended by it. Plus, they're very aware that they could fall on their faces at any minute.

Arrogance still sucks, earned or unearned.

Their arrogance is off-putting, but the arrogant comments have been confined (as far as we've seen) to their post-leg and pre-leg interviews. In my opinion, this makes them much more palatable than if they expressed this arrogance in the presence of other racers. Since bickering and rudeness are worse offenses than arrogance in my book, I'm putting Art & JJ ahead of the couples in my order of like/dislike.

When they equated their second place finish to a win because of the FF, I agreed with them, not even thinking about the fact that one of their first place finishes was because of a FF. I didn't feel that they were saying that Dave & Rachel's first place didn't count as a win.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 3:05 PM

I've been close enough to Phil to smell him on a few occasions. If he wears any cologne, it's very subtle because I didn't smell a thing. Well, maybe a trace of hair product.

Masem

Masem

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 6:10 PM

Man, now I want a pit stop where the clue says "Locate the pit stop by following the smell of Phil's cologne"

Edited by Masem, Mar 28, 2012 @ 6:11 PM.

Smacky55

Smacky55

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 7:41 PM

So, confession is good for the soul. I was watching without closed captioning and I heard "Phil's colon." To make matters worse, I did not think anatomical colon, I thought about colon, the punctuation mark. And I spent a good 2 minutes trying to figure out what the hell it meant until I just let it go. And worse on top of worse, I'm a doctor in general surgery, so colon is a word I probably use every single day.

So in defense of the captioner, maybe he or she actually did hear colon.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 2:53 PM

Something that occured to me watching the episode . . . when a Racer's hand was pressed against the window during the Roadblock, was anybody else expecting a zoom-in to reveal that "NOT PENNYS BOAT" was written on it?

sinycalone

sinycalone

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 6:15 PM

Now, Lantern 7 -- that would have been one of the top moments in TAR history!

keeptrying

keeptrying

Stalker

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 7:03 PM

Oh, heck, that would have been on the list for All-Time Top TV Moments.

Rusun

Rusun

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 7:13 PM

That would've been lost on most viewers.

Ladle

Ladle

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 9:36 PM

In a weird way, I'm going to miss Phil saying "Joey Fitness."

theBigE

theBigE

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 8:05 PM

As some one that grew up on a dairy farm and spent many summers of my life stacking hay bales, my hat is off to Rachel! When Dave went up on the truck and left her down below, I thought he was dooming the pair, but she worked her tail off and got the hay stacked correctly. I would have thought it would be so much easier for her to roll the bales off and for him to stack them. He was, however, doing a great job placing the bales so she didn't have far to move them. They earned that Fast Forward!

NOT PENNY'S BOAT - love it!

Pooki

Pooki

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 10:12 AM

The oil bath. Very odd. One of the strangest tasks I can remember on TAR. My question is, these customers, do they typically have other people squeegeeing them, or do they do it themselves? It reminded me of the (historically accurate) scene from the first season of "Rome" where a slave was using a stirgil to scrape the oil/sweat off a completely butt naked James Purefoy. If this kind of thing is still happening in modern times... I pity the poor sop that has to have that job

I thought the oil bath task was strange and really funny, but naked James Purefoy would have made it watchable in a whole other way!

Art and J.J. really cracked me up during that task with their reactions, I don't really care about their arrogant moments in their interviews, they strike me as a fun team who are enjoying the race while also being competitive and not bickering with each other.

Blonde Rachel was really impressive doing the hay stacking. I wonder if she grew up on a farm or something.

I'm looking forward to seeing Vanessa taking on Whiny McFunbags Rachel next leg. Looks like Rachel starts it with her "What are you, like, 38?" to 31-year-old Vanessa. Rachel seems like the classic example of someone who can dish it out, but can't take it. And I thought she couldn't come out with a stupider sequinned accessory after that sequinned beret in Italy until she showed up in that fugly green headband this leg.

Loved Vanessa's "I hope this is the first and last time I'm in the trunk of a car." while she was doing the apple sorting.

Imajicka1

Imajicka1

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 5:52 PM

Just some quick observations:

Other Rachel is a Beast! And I mean it in a good way.

I think there was more at play than just pure strength in the Fast Forward challenge. Stamina, technique, knowing where to stack, working within oneself, all of these things come to play. Ultimately, Rachel wanted it more than the Jersey Boys.

BTW, I actually liked Team Jersey. Toward the end, I got the feeling that being the "Jersey Shore" team was just their hook to get on the show. Once the race started getting intense, they lost that persona.

I'm rooting for Team Kindergarten (I don't think they are boring so much as they just aren't getting the camera time), Team Kentucky (they're big doofs) and... that's pretty much it. Art and JJ are a little too cocky to my liking. I can't seem to get excited about Dave and Rachel. I detest Brandon and Rachel, and there's a meanness to Vanessa that I'm just not impressed with.

Primal

Primal

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 11:49 PM

Loved Vanessa's "I hope this is the first and last time I'm in the trunk of a car." while she was doing the apple sorting.

That was my other nominee for episode title. Not as punchy as what we've got though.

Now why did the producers have to go ruin the elimination for me by showing the preview of Rachel and Vanessa's airport bust-up back in Episode 1???

Goldeneye1

Goldeneye1

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 10:37 AM

I am curious if any of the teams had to deal with the local money there as there could still be some confusion even nearly six years after Azerbaijan redenominated its currency (the manat) by a factor of 5000.

The reason being is that a common term before then was Shirvan, and one of its definitions meant the 10,000 (old) manat note, which is now 2 new manat. Because of that, when someone (including taxi drivers) says something as costing 4 (and they may or may not say Shirvan or he/she shows 4 fingers), that really means 8 new manat and not 4 - which can be a cause for confusion.