20-6:" This Is Wicked Strange (Baku, Azerbaijan)" 2012.03.18

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

136 replies to this topic

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 8:24 PM

I didn't see the thread set up, so I figured that I should start one. For those tuning in: Rachel & Dave get a Fast Forward-aided leg win, Joey Fitness & Danny get eliminated. And Mark pukes some more.

Another fun leg, except for the ending. We finally have a feud for the Fast Forward, and the losers that wind up getting eliminated are nicer than the winners. Really, who would've guessed that Guidos would be nice guys? They're nowhere near as disgusting as their counterparts at the Jersey Shore . . . and I'm thinking this might be the last we see of them. Meanwhile, "Pauly D" is getting a spinoff. Life doesn't seem fair, y'know?

Seriously, given how stupid and quarrelsome Vanessa & Ralph are, couldn't Phil have eliminated them instead? For pity's sake, they couldn't find the clue to the Detour! And they weren't supposed to search for it! The snickering of the cameramen should have tipped them off. And it looks like we'll have more sniping between Vanessa and Rachel in two weeks. Oh, joy.

On the bright side: guys bathing in oil, Racers getting to scrape it off. Not that I hated the locals, but I kept imagining Shane Powers from Survivor: Exile Island competing, pulling out a smoke and lighting up for a much-needed fix. Is that wrong of me? Should I just stick to the humor of straight dudes bathing other dudes?

The apple Detour was cool, mostly for the locals. Needle-searching in haystacks do get annoying. Speaking of which . . . does anybody else think Lena got a nasty facial tic seeing all of that hay?

At least Bopper & Mark are still in it, and still funny (and non-forced) as all out. Sadly, I think we'll be stuck with at least one couple in the final leg, and that's gonna suck eggs.

ETA for any mods reading: I goofed up the quotation marks with the title. Could that be corrected?

Edited by Lantern7, Mar 25, 2012 @ 8:35 PM.

Lemuria

Lemuria

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 8:27 PM

Well. I'm bummed. We lost the Guidos, whom I'd come to like, and kept Vanessa and Dave, who can get off my screen right now, thank you very much. That the Guidos finished so closely behind Vanessa and Dave after bleeding all that time at the Fast Forward, probably means they would have smoked the leg if they'd just jumped into it.

rphnick

rphnick

Fanatic

• Interests:TV, tv, and more tv. Oh, and TWoP

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 8:31 PM

I couldn't stand the Guidos at first, but they really grew on me these last few weeks. I'm sad to see them go, especially when we were so close to getting rid of Vanessa and Ralph.

Edited by rphnick, Mar 25, 2012 @ 8:35 PM.

Nimberlane

Nimberlane

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 8:31 PM

Pretty ok leg. I'm glad Rachel got that FF done despite Dave being his usual douchey self. Ugh. I don't want them to win now because of him.

Bad luck for the guidos. They really were a strong team and pretty nice guys to boot. If Vanessa and Ralph had flubbed things up worse during the RB or if their taxi driver hadn't been quick enough the guys surely would've stayed in.

Gonna get ugly in two weeks. Rachel is so going to u-turn/yield Vanessa. She had pure malice in her eyes in that preview. Yikeeees.

LegallyRed2

LegallyRed2

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 8:32 PM

Oh, this Cheese and Crackers thing has to stop. It is stupid. That is all.

merylinkid

merylinkid

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 8:33 PM

Awww, I am actually sad we lost the Long Island Boys. They were starting to grow on me.

Vanessa was actually okay this leg. Kept her crude comments to herself. Kudos for doing the escape task without freaking out. She didn't like it, but she did it as calmly as she could. No shrieking, no crying, just got it done.

One of the Border Patrol guys said he felt violated after the oil cleaning task. HE felt violated? I felt so sorry for the poor people who had to be manhandled by the racers. Couldn't they have figured out some other way to do that task? I can just imagine the smell. Crude oil is not a nice smell.

athena23

athena23

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 8:36 PM

That has to be one of the funniest Detour options I've ever seen. From "Is that normal?" from the BP agents when the oil started flowing from the spigot to "He had so much har" from Kentucky to "Did you get his junk?"...that was fantastic. That being said, how is bathing in crude oil "healthful"? Carcinogens much, anyone? I hope none of them smokes...

Athelyna

Athelyna

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 8:36 PM

I can't believe one of the tasks was HUET (helicopter underwater egress training). I work offshore the gulf coast and had to do the same thing. The racers actually got off kind of easy, because to be certified, at least in the US, I had to be dunked 3 times, plus the climbing in the raft and demonstrating the ability to float. They also got goggles, which looked like they also covered their noses. The number 1 complaint I've heard about the helicopter training is you get water up your nose. I was glad to see none of the racers put up too much of a fuss about having to do it. I was expecting at least one person to put up a fight or breakdown crying.

I was amused one of the girls said something along the lines of "It's really hard to scrape oil off a person's body," before opting to do the apple task. How do you know that?

Edited by Athelyna, Mar 25, 2012 @ 8:39 PM.

TDWT Kristen

TDWT Kristen

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 8:37 PM

That's some nice cognitive dissonance from Art & J.J. that a Fast Forward counts as a win for them, but not for someone else who takes it. Ugh.

Didn't see anything likable about Joey & Danny (and I was tired of even hearing Joey's "Fitness" nicknname), so I'm thrilled that they're out. These two only survived as long as they did because two stupid little girls couldn't see a Pit Stop that was eighty yards away from them. So I'm glad they finally bit the dust.

Nary & Jamie did much better on this leg, but they could've notched a much higher finish if they'd gone for Oil over Apple.

Vanessa's starting to lose me. As is Ralph, to a lesser extent.

How's it that even in all of this drama, Brendon & Rachel aren't the most unlikable team? (Granted, I still find them unlikable, but still . . .) At the very least, Art & J.J. and Vanessa & Ralph are starting to seem worse than they are. Rachel & Dave are merely on par with them.

Of the F6, I only like Nary & Jamie and Bopper & Mark. Vanessa & Ralph could win me back, but they need to stop the bickering. If any of them go next, this season's not salvageable to me.

Edited by TDWT Kristen, Mar 25, 2012 @ 8:49 PM.

laurelgardena

laurelgardena

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 8:38 PM

so as Rachel and Dave run to the mat dave says

I can smell Phil's COLON

Well at least that is what my Close Captioning said

Anacharsis

Anacharsis

Fanatic

The fire dancing at the temple was awesome! Also awesome was Art and JJ's oil spa guy. The locals so often make up for shitty, irritating contestants and really are what make this show so great.

Looks like Dave is finally figuring out how great his wife is. I still don't want them to win though. Commence with car curse, please.

Edited by Anacharsis, Mar 25, 2012 @ 8:40 PM.

athena23

athena23

Couch Potato

"I was amused one of the girls said something along the lines of "It's really hard to scrape oil off a person's body." How do you know that?"

Because it was Vanessa, I just took it as a given. :)

tgrfan23

tgrfan23

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 8:40 PM

I can smell Phil's COLON

Dave actually said "cologne". I think the captioners need spelling lessons.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 8:41 PM

I can smell Phil's COLON

That's . . . okay, then. BTW, I would've went with "I Can Smell Phil's Cologne" as the episode title.

roseslg

roseslg

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 8:43 PM

I was laughing at all the comments about the hairy men! Yes, they are indeed quite hairy. It was nice seeing some of Baku again. I was wondering how many people would mess up the name and Half the teams didn't disappoint. I think there should be some kind of tally for how often Mark and Bopper mess up the country name. I wished they had cut out some of the hay baling scenes and give us the scene where team KY realised that Azerbaijan is in the Caucasus and not Africa :). I still find them kind of endearing.

Arekuru

Arekuru

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 8:44 PM

I was enjoying Team Jersey, but when the one of them started going on about "getting beat by a girl" at the fast forward, I didn't feel quite as bad about them getting eliminated. Still would have preferred seeing any of the couples go, though.

That bit where Mark was telling Jamie about Bopper's crush was cute, though I think she was like "Ooookay..."

I was amused one of the girls said something along the lines of "It's really hard to scrape oil off a person's body," before opting to do the apple task. How do you know that?

Well, she's from San Antonio, right? If she's ever been to the Gulf, odds are she or someone she knows has gotten oil on them at the beach. I used to live in Santa Barbara, where the oil leaks up from the ocean floor all the time, and everyone knew to keep some baby oil on hand to get the stuff off. The Gulf is probably much worse thanks to BP.

dogfoot75

dogfoot75

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 8:44 PM

The Roadblock is my hugest phobia - being trapped underwater. That would have been absolutely awful.

sinycalone

sinycalone

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 8:46 PM

Aww...the Long Island guys were sweet and sometimes funny. I would have preferred they stay over Ralph and Vanessa.

Even with more face time, the Federal Agents still have no personalities IMO. And Mark tried to joke around with Nary at the helicopter rescue challenge, and she showed virtually no reaction.

Dave and Rachel were fun tonight as far as I was concerned -- both of them. Which has not always been the case. They started right in dancing with the folks at the Temple of Fire, their slight bickering at the FF was just the normal reactions to being in a direct race with another team. Hope they stay that way.

The roadblock tasks were really about equal -- it was further to the health building, but the actual task wasn't really hard. The apple option appeared much closer, but was a true needle-in-a-haystack challenge.

Art and JJ were more tolerable tonight -- until the mat.

And next week we get to see more ugliness between Rachel and Vanessa. Whoopee.

Edited by sinycalone, Mar 25, 2012 @ 8:48 PM.

Madmarsha

Madmarsha

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 9:00 PM

[I think the captioners need spelling lessons.

It's not a matter of spelling, it's a matter of not having time to edit and correct. I'm a court reporter. Sometimes things translate pretty weird till you proofread and correct them. They've tried but there's really no such thing as conflict-free shorthand theory. Language is like so difficult and stuff.

Dave needs to get off Rachel's back. He has not had to spend one ounce of energy so far on spaz wrangling. He did call her a workhorse so I know he appreciates her, but we've seen him get kinda nasty with her and she's not balked once about how hard something is. I think she had the harder part since Dave had gravity on his side from up above. She's about the gamest and able trooper I've seen since Jill of Jill and Jon Vito. I'm rooting for her but not him to win and that's the closest I've come to having a dog in this hunt. If Mark and Bopper could lay off some of the country corn pone, I'd root for them.

Edited by Madmarsha, Mar 25, 2012 @ 9:32 PM.

fredfunk

fredfunk

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 9:07 PM

That's a shame about Joey and Danny, good team having fun and enjoying themselves. Brendon and Rachel still the most grating and unlikeable team out there. Here's hoping for a quick exit.

cassyinjax

cassyinjax

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 9:10 PM

Vanessa was actually okay this leg. Kept her crude comments to herself.

Except when she talked about going commando.

Looks like Dave is finally figuring out how great his wife is.

He probably already knows that, considering he married her and all.

Quilt Fairy

Quilt Fairy

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 9:15 PM

I wished they had cut out some of the hay baling scenes and give us the scene where team KY realised that Azerbaijan is in the Caucasus and not Africa :). I still find them kind of endearing.

I know. We saw 6 teams getting tickets but not Mark & Bopper. If it was really a non-issue, I wish they hadn't shown any airport scenes.

Points to Dave for knowing and being able to explain where Azerbaijan is.

Considering hay bales can weigh upwards of 75-100 lbs, I'm surprised that Rachel and Dave even took that Fast Forward much less that they won over two strong young men who started at about the same time. I thought it was interesting a few legs ago when Phil didn't say 'This is the only fast forward on the race' and tonight he didn't say 'This is the second of only 2 fast forwards on the race.' So more fast forwards to come, maybe? The strategy of when to go for a fast forward may come into play after a long interlude. I think the border patrol guys kind of regretted taking the first one.

I would have voted for 'This looks like an ancient grave' as the episode title until close to the end when Dave said 'I smell Phil's cologne'. There's no way that shouldn't have been the title.

Melina Detroit

Melina Detroit

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 9:25 PM

I think she had the harder part since Dave had gravity on his side from up above.

I know! I kept wondering why they didn't change positions - surely the person with the greater upper body strength should have been working down below. She did an amazing job, though.

I also agree that the dance at the Temple looked like SO much fun - I loved how much the racers seemed to get into and enjoy it, despite the fact it took place at about 5 a.m.

I thought the oil bath challenge was so funny. You have to wonder what the health benefits of crude oil could be. Then again, it's "natural", and straight from the ground. Is it possible the Azerbizanis know something we don't? (apart from how to spell Azerbizanis.)

I thought the team who picked the green apples was smart. Not only did TAR colors stand out way better against the green, but they appeared to adopt the strategy of rolling them around, looking for TAR colors, rather than laboriously picking them up two by two and examining them. Too bad they still lost!

Agreed that Vanessa was fine and likeable on this leg, but that this was ruined by her incredibly snarky and mean comments to Rachel in the Previews. And yet I couldn't help laughing ...! (Yes, I'm 38 and I STILL look younger than you!)

ETA - OK - It's Azerbaijanis. So I've learned something today.

Edited by Melina Detroit, Mar 25, 2012 @ 9:28 PM.

charlieboo

charlieboo

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 9:25 PM

I wanted the title to be "I'm in his thighs!" I haven't laughed that much in a long time as I did watching the BP guys wash the local.
Ugh. Dave pissed me off with his remark to Rachel,"Wow! You are a work horse!" Then a second time, he started, "You are..." and I was waiting for "awesome!", or "the best wife ever!", but instead we just got another "You are a work horse!"
Just how every woman wants to be thought of by her husband.

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 9:38 PM

Well, she's from San Antonio, right? If she's ever been to the Gulf, odds are she or someone she knows has gotten oil on them at the beach. I used to live in Santa Barbara, where the oil leaks up from the ocean floor all the time, and everyone knew to keep some baby oil on hand to get the stuff off. The Gulf is probably much worse thanks to BP.

I've never been to a Texas beach, but I have been all up and down the Florida coast, Mississippi, and Alabama. I have never seen any oil on the beach or in the water.

I enjoyed the show tonight. Sorry to see the Jersey Boys go. I liked them. There were several possible titles that I heard. I did like the 'Phil's cologne' comment.

Barton

Barton

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 9:41 PM

Posted Today, 09:27 PM #2
Well. I'm bummed. We lost the Guidos, whom I'd come to like, and kept Vanessa and Dave, who can get off my screen right now, thank you very much. That the Guidos finished so closely behind Vanessa and Dave after bleeding all that time at the Fast Forward, probably means they would have smoked the leg if they'd just jumped into it.

Who knows exactly how close they actually were. They try to make final arrivals closer than they are just to add to the drama.
Vanessa and Ralph

culturevulture73

culturevulture73

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 9:43 PM

I agree with many - the title should have been "I can smell Phil's cologne!"

I was actually beginning to enjoy the Long Island Boys and they go and get eliminated. Instead, we get Vanessa and Ralph, who are on my last nerve - but the shots of them wandering around the carpet shop were priceless.

I laughed more at this episode than I have at any comedy this season, especially at all the fun everyone had dancing. Plus the crowd at the apples - were they recruited from the many cabbies of TAR (Faster, faster, faster!)?

The oil had to be one of the most bizarre things ever on the show...

I'm sure Dave is going to be upset that he missed the only helicopter task on the race and I'm sorry, Rachel had it much harder - she nearly got clocked by a couple of those bales and had to haul them up into stacks.

I give Mark all the credit in the world for throwing up in the cabs and still going. Get Kentucky to the task and they will smoke it. It's getting them to the task...

SueR

SueR

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 9:43 PM

I just can't build up any love for Mark and Bopper. They are s-o-o dumb. If you're going on this race, at least study some basic geography. And if you get sick every time you're in the back seat of a car 1) be the driver or 2) ask the taxi driver to let you sit up front. Plus I can't understand anything they say. I thought the border agents were hysterical when they were washing the oil. Also was very impressed that Rachel did all that hay stacking (which Dave should have been doing) and beat out the two young Jersey guys. Sorry to see them go though. I really have nobody to root for anymore.

Anacharsis

Anacharsis

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 9:48 PM

Looks like Dave is finally figuring out how great his wife is.

He probably already knows that, considering he married her and all.

Given the way he's treated her on this race, which is all we viewers have to go on, that's not an assumption I'm willing to make. Mileage varies, obviously.

Just how every woman wants to be thought of by her husband.

Heh. It's a step up from him bitterly complaining that she needed to correct her behavior in order for them to get along.

cassyinjax

cassyinjax

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 9:50 PM

Rachel asked Dave to go up top -- that's why she did all the hay stacking. She wanted to do it.

Edited by TWoP Roxy, Mar 26, 2012 @ 10:56 AM.
boards on boards