24-7: "The Beauty in a Merge" 2012.03.28

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

163 replies to this topic

neplusultra

neplusultra

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 2:03 PM

If Mike and Kim both end up in F3, it would be a closer vote than if Jay and Kim did, at least based on 24-7 and the apparent status of the various alliances.

It took me the longest time to parse "24-7" as the numerical designation for this episode (even though it was right up at the top of the page--clearly I'm not very observant). I couldn't get past the notion of "24-7" referring to 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Was wondering if there was some kind of Big Brother-esque feed that provided a 24-7 view of the contestants (tape delayed obv.), and why I hadn't heard about it before, and how I could get access! LOL

needschocolate

needschocolate

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 7:11 PM

As I recall, Jonas made a little slam after his torch got snuffed, something to the effect of "Good luck with the cooking", implying the others were now doomed to a life of bland meals without him. What I mean by unwise play was targeting Mike(?) when there were easier/more obvious targets like Tarzan. Of course, I'm not that good at analyzing game play, so take it for what you will.

I thought he said something like "Good luck with the poop thing" - as in, you're keeping the guy with the poopy pants over me?

arepera

arepera

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 10:28 PM

Good luck with the food situation, I think.

BigRedCheese

BigRedCheese

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 11:38 PM

"Good luck with the poop thing"

LOL, I wish he had said that, that would have been hilarious! Especially after Tarzan told him, "hard feelings towards you."

toddthomas

toddthomas

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 10:12 AM

The Jonas vote makes sense, from the view of the mega-alliance of alliances, in that he was one of a couple outsiders. He seemed well liked and, even without being shown if he was really playing, that made him more of a threat than the others.

But the editors didn't do Kim any favors by showing her reclining in the boat as her minions reported in over the course of an episode. Even if it was just ten minutes, in real life, and was in reality substantive conversations, it's not an appealing appearance to the audience I'd have to say. At least not to me as audience. Mariano could get away with it because of the way he was also given talking heads where he was somewhat incredulous that it was actually happening and he just always seemed to be having fun with it all.

TDWT Kristen

TDWT Kristen

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 1:41 PM

I wasn't bothered by her reclining. Not at all. Especially since I've seen other winners in the past doing the same thing, if not similar things.

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 3:02 PM

Chelsea, Mike and Jay went to Queen Kim as she relaxed on the boat and they pleaded to take out players who sit around and do nothing. Kim was shown doing nothing but relaxing on the boat all day. I thought that was funny.

Traylee

Traylee

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 6:47 PM

So Kat was definitely making a jab at Alicia. Alicia's reaction was over the top, but it was a thinly-veiled insult from Kat, make no mistake.

I see how someone could view it that way, but I definitely don't think that's how it was meant. I think Kat was simply saying that she's horrible at puzzles and unless Alicia is some kind of puzzle wiz, she needed to be paired with someone who is. IMO, suggesting someone might not be a wiz at puzzles isn't a jab especially when it turns out that person is actually pretty horrific at solving them. I'd even go so far as to say it just isn't a jab period. I have a horrid singing voice. If someone says, "you're not the best singer" they'd be telling the truth, and it would be silly for me to be offended.

Once the tribes are merged, it's expected they will share with each other what they have, not still cling to what "we" won versus what "you" didn't win. What if they merged into one or the others' shelter? Would Jay say "Sorry, we built this shelter, you can go build your own" after a merge?

To me, that's apples and oranges. It didn't appear they had much coffee left and they were sharing what was left amongst those who'd actually won it. Since Tarzan was the only one who said anything about it, I imagine there was some conversation in which the others respected that it was their coffee. Plus, coffee is a treat. It's not the same as shelter, something they all need and would be a real hardship if it were denied. Lastly, if pissing off Tarzan is bad gameplay then I suspect everyone is playing badly. What Kim or Chelsea did (i get the two confused) and said in reaction to Tarzan's shitty drawers was a lot more confrontational than denying him a cup of joe.

aussieinsydney

aussieinsydney

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 9:19 PM

OurJames: G'day. Go into the fast reply editor at the bottom of the page. Copy and paste the text you want to quote. Select all of the text and click on the little icon that looks like a dialog balloon (third from the right on the toolbar.) It would be nice if this added the name of the person you are quoting, but it doesn't. I copy and paste the name of the person and then make the name bold, like I've done with this message.

Thanks OurJames. Here goes, I hope this works for me.

ETA: And it did!

Edited by aussieinsydney, Apr 2, 2012 @ 9:20 PM.

ProfCrash

ProfCrash

Stalker

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 9:37 AM

The buttons tend to work better with Chrome and Foxfire. I have yet to get them to work with IE.

Macthekat

Macthekat

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 5:49 PM

I see how someone could view it that way, but I definitely don't think that's how it was meant. I think Kat was simply saying that she's horrible at puzzles and unless Alicia is some kind of puzzle wiz, she needed to be paired with someone who is. IMO, suggesting someone might not be a wiz at puzzles isn't a jab especially when it turns out that person is actually pretty horrific at solving them. I'd even go so far as to say it just isn't a jab period.

I agree, but I think the point was that Alicia took it as a jab and then starting going off on Kat about it.

Kim or Chelsea did (i get the two confused)

I think Chelsea is the pretty one and Kim isn't so much and has those really dark eyebrows that don't match her hair.

JudyObscure

JudyObscure

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 6:49 AM

Chelsea is a short blonde, Kim is a tall brunette. Chelsea rides horses, Kim owns her own business. Chelsea seems upset in most of her interviews (the cold rain, the dirty underwear,) Kim laughs in most of hers.

luvsdonnyo

luvsdonnyo

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 10:23 AM

Regarding Coffee-gate, the point of that exchange was that it let Tarzan, and really anyone who was paying attention and thinking know that Nu-Salani was sticking together. It's one of those subtle things like sleeping arrangements which reveal true loyalties and alliances.

Libby1975

Libby1975

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 2:13 PM

when the non-Boston Rob tribe was being pagonged out of existence Special Agent Droopy Drawers threw one of his tantrums when he didn't get access to the other teams's rice.

Phillip was part of Rob's team, but Rob's groupies were saving the crispy rice for Rob because he liked it. I'm not sure, but I think that might have been before the merge.

That was a different issue. In the episode where Phillip talks about the race card, he gets mad at I forget everyone's name but the older ex-NFL dude, about not getting that tribe's rice.

As enlightenbum pointed out, that was a different issue from what I bought up. Once they had merged and the non-Rob team was well and truly in the minority and being knocked off one by one Phil got very indignant about not being allowed access to the other tribe's rice and it culminated in a fight with the John Slattery-looking older NFL player whose name escapes me. Phils argument was that once they merged, the rice became communal, although this community property rule did not extend to the luxuries that his lot had won in reward challenges. The more cynical part of my brain thought it was almost like he was making up rules that suited him and acting like they were a foregone conclusion. Either way I don't agree that it goes without saying that once the tribes are merged ALL resources are too. I kinda think people decide which side of that they fall on according to what would be more advantegous to them. Either way, until TPTB make it explicit with a ruling of some kind, none of the players can invoke the "everybody knows it's [the way I want it to be]" rule as if it were fact.
That said, I do realize there was a subtext there that ultimately is likely to be much more important than who gets the coffee.

Edited by Libby1975, Apr 4, 2012 @ 2:14 PM.