1-17: "Hat Trick" 2012.03.25

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

264 replies to this topic

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

Fanatic

• Interests:Moderating

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 6:29 PM

In an "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland"-theme episode that features the Who's Roger Daltrey as the voice of the Caterpillar, Emma is kidnapped by a mentally unstable man with a hat obsession.

Moderator Note: Remember to spell things out. No abbreviations, initials, etc. Keep it on topic. Thanks!

Another note: This is the first topic I've set to open since the new forum update. If for some reason the thread doesn't open after the episode, you can start a new one.

Edited by TWoP Tennison, Mar 26, 2012 @ 8:53 AM.

mrsflair

mrsflair

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 8:08 PM

The official thread did not open.
What an episode!
so the dead can live again? That opens up so many options.
The Mad Hatter has such a tragic story, I was on the edge of my seat when
they were at Wonderland.

Tzigone

Tzigone

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 8:09 PM

It was a good episode, but for me, all else is trumped by Emma starting to believe when she's looking at the book at the end. It's such a huge event and could mark a turning point (if she doesn't convince herself it's nonsense).

Pepper the Cat

Pepper the Cat

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 8:11 PM

Good episode. Although as soon as Jefferson said that only the same amount of people can come back that went in, I suspected the Queen was after a person. But did not see that it was her Father!

rebelqueen

rebelqueen

Couch Potato

• Interests:Once and FutureTV loveaffairs:Gilmore, Buffy, Firefly, NCIS, ER, WOT,Bones,Alias,Chuck,Life, Eleventh Hour(Rufus Sewell=pretty) Miami Medical(JN=pretty) Ringer, Once Upon a Time, Dollhouse, Good Wife and of course Battlestar Galactica(save for the last 30 minutes of the ending).

mrsflair completely agree! I was entranced. Jennifer Morrison's tweet was right; she really rocked it out of the park.
Robert Carlyle was splendid as usual(and his hair was so bouncy &shiny like a Pantene ad); not enough of him, of course, but I'm so praying he is actually working with Emma(and not double-crossing her).
(sorry for forgetting to spell things out Tennison!)

Edited by rebelqueen, Mar 26, 2012 @ 10:53 AM.

KatieMK

KatieMK

Couch Potato

That episode was everything I’ve been waiting for…totally worth the hype. I adore Sebastian Stan.

This was also the saddest storyline yet, IMO. When the Queen’s father appeared, I gasped and my roommates all went “NOOOOOOOOO!”… I was genuinely devastated for Jefferson. Interesting that he had the same name in both worlds. I bet we’ll see Queen of Hearts again for a big reveal—she was hidden for a reason and it was weird to have no Alice.

questions of the ep: did the hat work? Why would Regina knowingly make a deal with Mr Gold, does she really believe he wants to help her put MM away as a murderer or are they both double-teaming each other?

The show is finally picking up it seems.

Edited by TWoP Tennison, Mar 26, 2012 @ 8:54 AM.
Topic/caps

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

• Interests:Improv, Mojo-Kickball, Kickboxing, Cooking, Baking

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 8:12 PM

Loved the story of how the Mad Hatter became mad. And that he remembers, but "here", in our reality that makes him seem "mad" too. And just how did he survive that fall?

Loved Henry's little smile when Emma asked to keep the book.

scarlett45

scarlett45

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 8:13 PM

How'd the Queen's dad end up in Wonderland? I missed that part!

mrsflair

mrsflair

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 8:14 PM

I don't understand why Regina couldn't have carried the box out of wonderland and reanimated her dad
after she got back to her kingdom thereby allowing Jefferson to return as well. If that was addressed in the
episode I missed it.

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 8:16 PM

I assume Wonderland mushrooms only have their effects IN Wonderland, MrsFlair. So she couldn't have made him bigger after they left. I also assume he'd still have counted as a person so Jefferson still couldn't have come.

notwisconsin

notwisconsin

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 8:16 PM

now the question is: is the last place we saw Jefferson a flashback or did the hat work and he was teleported to the workshop?

katierose295

katierose295

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 8:17 PM

Next to the Belle episode, this one was my favorite. I really liked the set decoration and costuming for the Mad Hatter.

Interesting that he had the same name in both worlds.

I'm guessing his name was in homage to the Jefferson Starship Song "White Rabbit," which has an "Alice in Wonderland" theme. The lead singer of that band is Grace Slick, so that might be where they got the daughter's name, too.

Edited by katierose295, Mar 25, 2012 @ 8:20 PM.

Senna

Senna

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 8:18 PM

Another good episode! Some very sweet family moments from Jefferson and his daughter, (surprisingly) Regina and her father (Regina was quite earnest when talking about family sticking together, hmmm), and most importantly, Emma and Mary Margaret. The Queen of Hearts' vault is Regina's heart vault, right? So does that mean this episode takes place before she started her "collection," or did she just model her vault on the Wonderland one? (By the way, loved it when Regina burned through the bushes in the maze.)

Though it was obvious Jefferson had to survive the head chopping, I was still pretty shocked when his disembodied head began to speak. There was some erm, interesting CGI this episode for sure.

mrsflair

mrsflair

Channel Surfer

thanks Allscape! I figured I missed what the reason was. Regina had a look of pain on her face when he was begging her to let her return to her daughter, then her expression hardened as she turned and told him "you never leave family" Lana Parilla is superb in this role.

celette482

celette482

Channel Surfer

I was guessing that he teleported. But then freaked out because Grace wasn't there, so now the book has him trying to make it work. Since that kinda looked like his house in Fairy Tale Land, not any place in Wonderland.

kennyab

kennyab

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 8:19 PM

so the dead can live again? That opens up so many options.

Are you referring to Regina's father? I don't believe he was dead. Eating items from Wonderland makes people change sizes. It seems that Henry the First was miniaturized in the box.

There was so much great stuff in this episode. It's so nice to have a capable villain in Regina. In both worlds she's bad-ass and has so much charisma. Yes, I want the good guys to win, and I can't wait to watch Regina squirm, but I'm also fine with having her battle against royal guards in man-eating labyrinths.

So it's now officially confirmed that there are multiple worlds, and "our" world was just one of them. And Jefferson couldn't leave his house for 28 years, yet he was actually aware. Tricky, tricky curse. Time restarting allowed him to leave the house, so it seems he was stuck in some sort of loop, just like everyone else doing a groundhog day. It's nice to have a little bit more exposition on the curse.

It seems like there was something else...oh yeah, Emma's finally coming around! Woo and Hoo. The smile on Henry's face was fantastic. Between his conversation with August and his realization this week, I'm glad they've made him smart enough to realize that Emma's just been humoring him. And I can't wait to see Emma's next encounter with Regina. Sure, she's not completely sold yet, but just the suspicion in her mind that she's dealing with the Evil Queen is great.

Crimson Belle

Crimson Belle

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 8:19 PM

How about Mary Margaret channeling that inner Snow White and judo kicking Jefferson out the window! The mama was protecting her young, even if she doesn't yet believe it.

And the best part of the show for me is the Mary Margaret/Emma relationship. All of that conversation with Jefferson wasn't just Emma playing along. She really does want to believe that Mary Margaret is her mother. And maybe, just maybe, she's beginning to do so.

Tzigone

Tzigone

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 8:20 PM

I thought the stark contrast in the way Emma and Mary Margaret reacted to being held prisoner and the differences in their body language when trying to creep out was spectacular. Emma so much bolder/stronger than Mary Margaret. Then Mary Margaret turned around and did some awesomeness that's so foreign to the person supposedly is. Was nice.

I don't understand why Regina couldn't have carried the box out of wonderland and reanimated her dad
after she got back to her kingdom thereby allowing Jefferson to return as well.

I was wondering the same thing. I mean, she could have done it just to be cruel - it would be in character. Or maybe the magic doesn't work the same in her land?

Like everyone else, I saw the sell-out and the Queen taking someone else back with her as soon as the rule was mentioned. I didn't really think about who it would be, though.

Also, is that the same vault, or just a similar one? The Queen already has hers when she hires the Huntsman. So I guess the question is whether or not there was time for her to steal the vault between Sidney becoming the mirror and the hiring of the Huntsman. Or did we see it in the background earlier? Or am I misremembering and it's a different prop?

quiche

quiche

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 8:20 PM

I thought it was interesting that they didn't want us to know who the queen of hearts was.

My question is did the curse act on wonderland as well as FTL since Jefferson was trapped there. He is in Storybrook, so maybe queen of hearts is too?

mrsflair

mrsflair

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 8:21 PM

Kennyab.. did the evil queen not rip her dad's heart out though when she sacrificed him for the spell? I'm going to have to rewatch all of the episodes because my little brain can't retain information long enough to last the entire season lol.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 8:22 PM

after she got back to her kingdom thereby allowing Jefferson to return as well. If that was addressed in the
episode I missed it.

Even if she could have, Regina's a terrible person who delights in messing with people (as she said, she could have just given Jefferson the damn rabbit but it wouldn't be as fun for her) so she wouldn't have.

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 8:23 PM

And just how did he survive that fall?

Did he? I thought maybe he magically went somewhere else (Fairy Tale Land or...).

It's official. I love Once Upon A Time.
I even took notes in the beginning--but soon got too caught up in the story for that.
I also loved the daughter's cloak. They could probably make a mint selling those for next Christmas.
When Emma first arrives at the kiddnapper/Hatter's lair/castle the camera pans on a vase and candle that are both red and yellow. I want the set creator to decorate my house if I ever get one (sadly, not likely to ever happen).
So Wonderland is on the other side of a Stargate event horizon.
Was this the first time it was revealed that Regina has the same name in both worlds? And is she the only one?
She seemed pained that she had to be cruel to the Hatter.

Edited by TWoP Tennison, Mar 26, 2012 @ 8:57 AM.
Abbreviations

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 8:24 PM

Was this the first time it was revealed that Regina has the same name in both worlds?

No, in the Sydney episode King Leopold introduced her as his queen, Regina.

celette482

celette482

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 8:25 PM

She seemed pained that she had to be cruel to the Hatter.

They seemed pretty chummy. Went straight to first names when she visited him at his house. Obviously some history, perhaps romantic?

Tzigone

Tzigone

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 8:25 PM

So it's now officially confirmed that there are multiple worlds, and "our" world was just one of them.

Right. But Jefferson was still stuck in Wonderland when the curse was enacted, wasn't he? So it wasn't just the one realm that was brought to Storybrooke?

I was guessing that he teleported. But then freaked out because Grace wasn't there, so now the book has him trying to make it work. Since that kinda looked like his house in Fairy Tale Land, not any place in Wonderland.

That was my initial thought, but then I thought it was more likely that the book was showing him trapped in Wonderland and trying to get back - showing what made him mad when he'd made a million hats and none of them worked. Guess we'll have to wait and see what happened to him.

Dani-Ellie

Dani-Ellie

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 8:27 PM

I was genuinely devastated for Jefferson.

Me too. That poor guy. All that talk about not abandoning family had me thinking that he was Regina's estranged brother, for some reason. I was completely shocked when her father popped out of that box.

That last scene with Emma and Mary Margaret made me teary.

And when Regina showed up at the sheriff's office, fully expecting to find Mary Margaret gone, and saw her there, I actually said, "HA!" out loud.

quiche

quiche

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 8:28 PM

Posted Today, 10:21 PM #19
Kennyab.. did the evil queen not rip her dad's heart out though when she sacrificed him for the spell? I'm going to have to rewatch all of the episodes because my little brain can't retain information long enough to last the entire season lol.

But she doesn't kill him until she enacts the curse. Since the curse takes everyone to our world it appeared that the queen of hearts had him prisoner? He would be alive to be sacrificed then and Jefferson would be trapped.

notwisconsin

notwisconsin

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 8:28 PM

deleted as the above answer was better than mine.

Edited by notwisconsin, Mar 25, 2012 @ 8:30 PM.

kennyab

kennyab

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 8:29 PM

The Enchanted Forest part took place before Regina ripped her father's heart out. She said that the Queen of Hearts had kidnapped him in order to hold it over Regina's head.

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 8:31 PM

Aww, I really loved the episode. I mean, I don't know what it was that made me love it, but I truly did. I felt so much sympathy for Jefferson. I mean, is this the second time a father has had to abandon his child because of magic? I know his and Rumple's situations aren't the same, but it still sucks that Jefferson and Rumple both lost their children because of magic and to provide for their children. Sebastian Stan is utterly amazing. He made me feel for a character that wasn't introduced before tonight and made me hope that he maybe got to Fairy Tale Land or escaped somewhere safe. I really want to see him again soon. I want him and Grace/Paige to be reunited.

I knew Emma was tricking him and was gonna stab him in the back, but I was yelling at my TV for her to just believe him when he was bonding with Emma over their children being with different families. But that look at the end, well, I really and truly hope she has finally seen the light and opened her eyes to all of this truth. And is it sad that her and Jefferson's chemistry came out a lot stronger than hers and August's?

I figure that this whole episode in Fairy Tale Land happened before the curse. Either way, I wonder how he got trapped and shrunk in Wonderland and I wonder who the Queen of Hearts is. Have we met her before or will she be someone new? I know it'll never happen, but for a moment I pictured Emma as the Queen of Hearts. Oh, silly me.

Go Mary Margaret for being badass? I only put a question mark because I felt horrible for Jefferson, who has spent twenty eight years knowing where his daughter was but not being able to do a thing about it. He's right; that's the worst curse of all, knowing the truth and having no power to stop it or be happy. But I wonder if Regina knows about Jefferson and that he remembers/is in Storybrooke. And if Jefferson somehow escaped Wonderland back to Fairy Tale Land, how did it happen and why can he remember? Or if he never escaped, does that mean Wonderland characters are in Storybrooke too and also have knowledge? This is actually a curious situation because I really want to know MORE about him. Unlike Grumpy, who I like but don't want another backstory on him. Like, ever.

Great episode. Terrific interactions with Emma/Jefferson, Regina/Jefferson, Mary Margaret/Emma and Emma/Henry. I didn't even miss David one bit.