The Legend of Korra: As the Air Bends

• Please log in to reply

897 replies to this topic

TheNarrator

TheNarrator

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 6:22 AM

They're really pushing a Mako/Korra ship early and hard.

I actually find that a little worrisome. I've always felt that romantic subplots shouldn't be rushed or forced to manifest as quickly as possible, but need some time to develop organically. And the handling of such wasn't exactly one of the strong points in ATLA: the relationships tended to be ignored for long stretches of time, then advance in huge leaps largely offscreen.

I kinda hope they go the V for Vendetta route and have Amon's identity never revealed, or at least have him be someone we never met before. His importance to the story should be what he does, not who he is behind the mask.

I'm fine with him not secretly being anyone we know, and discovering his identity not being a major plot point. But to some degree we do need to eventually find out something about who he is, because that's an important factor in understanding why he does what he does. Unless he's just evil for evil's sake, one presumes that there's something in his backstory to indicate his reasons for starting this insurrection, even if it's just cynical desire for power. (To use your own example, in V for Vendetta, while we never see V's face or learn his name, we do learn about his past and his reasons for hating the government.)

Given that Amon wears a mask, it would be interesting if it were to turn out that he wasn't any one person, but actually multiple people hiding behind the same identity. Not a man but a symbol. Every time that they think that they've killed him, he re-emerges unharmed... but it's actually another man behind the mask, taking his place.

But I don't really care what Amon turns out to be behind that mask, as long as it turns out to be compelling storytelling.

TDWT Kristen

TDWT Kristen

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 6:25 AM

While I, too, want to know what made Amon who he is, I won't be bothered if he's just being evil for evil's sake. Frankly, there's nothing wrong with a villain being evil just for the sake of it. I mean, quite a few of my favorite villains were evil for just such a reason (though the first one that comes to my mind is Mirage from the Aladdin series).

capt planet

capt planet

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 7:40 AM

I'm ok with his face not being revealed, although I'd definitely need some backstory. I was actually a bit disappointed with the Ozai reveal and wished he'd remained a shadowy silhouette.

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 8:23 AM

I was pretty disappointed that Ozai ended up being just a cardboard, dull villain after Azula had been such a great one. Hopefully that won't repeat itself.

TheNarrator

TheNarrator

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 11:26 AM

I was pretty disappointed that Ozai ended up being just a cardboard, dull villain after Azula had been such a great one. Hopefully that won't repeat itself.

I agree about Ozai being disappointing. I think a big part of it is that, in the end, Ozai just wasn't very smart or competent. And after having Azula (genre savvy, manipulative, devious Azula) as the villain for Book 2, that was a major disappointment.

<a bunch of comparison between Azula and Ozai snipped because it doesn't belong in this thread>

All Ozai really ever had going for him was raw bending power... and that's not as interesting as a smart villain. We know that, no matter how much raw power a villain has, the hero can overcome it with heroic willpower or a deus ex machina (*cough*Avatar State*cough*) or by taking their power level OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAND. Smart villains are the ones that actually leave the audience worrying that they might actually win.

So here's hoping that--whatever else he is--Amon is a smart, dangerous, interesting villain.

Sonicsean34

Sonicsean34

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 7:50 PM

Eegah

I was pretty disappointed that Ozai ended up being just a cardboard, dull villain after Azula had been such a great one.

I was more disappointed that he seemed to become less developed and nuanced as time went on! In his introduction flashbacks he was just a harsh man with really messed up "this will make you strong" parenting by the finale he became a stock cartoon villain screaming "I will be the supreme ruler of EVERYTHING" in that flashback of "lets burn the whole earth kingdom" meeting (his dialogue during his actual fight with Aang was a little better)

Now this show is looking cool, I have loved the first two episodes and am hungry for more. I have a new crush on Bolin which is gonna be unhealthy since he is not real but what can you do (I miss you Shirtless Sokka and Zuko scenes and S3 Aang with hair!)? *le sigh*

I really wish Nick would have better trailers for the show though. They somehow make all the voice-acting sound bad and the lines so corny when in eps one and two the trailer lines were good in context

(I am conflicted on the new thread, its exciting and new and stuff but there was something awesome about being part of the old thread like a continuation of the avatar cycle! Ah well its done and useful for newcomers so that is OK "the bolder is no longer conflicted!" as a wise sage from the old show would say!)

Bleu

Bleu

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 1:42 PM

I really wish Nick would have better trailers for the show though. They somehow make all the voice-acting sound bad and the lines so corny when in eps one and two the trailer lines were good in context

The only trailer I like is the one with no audio but music.

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 6:09 AM

Wow, I watched the episodes and seriously had goosebumps and my heart was beating so fast. The animation is really incredible and BEAUTIFUL. It does remind me with Cowboy Bebop style, with its detail oriented. The Republic City is really magnificent. It's like NYC mixed with San Francisco and many major cities in the world. Aang statue reminded me with Lady Liberty, especially with the color. And they have some sort of Central Park and the airbender island reminded me with Alcatraz.

The chasing scene with the 'bender mafia' was gorgeous. And then the whole zeppelin in the sky, seriously great. Like a steampunk world which I enjoy.

Anyone got a Star Wars vibe when
Spoiler

Okay, I am shallow. I'm in love with Mako. You, handsome jerk.

ETA: Sorry, I didn't know that the episodes haven't aired yet?

Edited by HoneyBee, Apr 9, 2012 @ 6:22 AM.

dianakingston28

dianakingston28

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 7:50 PM

Another clip, and... well, there's a certain sound effect here that links back to A:TLA. I had chills. This is going to be an incredible series. :)

Edited by dianakingston28, Apr 11, 2012 @ 7:52 PM.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 8:38 PM

I wonder what the best ratings Nick has ever gotten is, and if this show can top it.

Well worth the mountain of money I'm sure they had to throw into it.

Paul O Regan

Paul O Regan

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 12:41 PM

ComicsAlliance have an interview with Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko: http://www.comicsall...tzko-interview/

The episodes are streaming at the link too.

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 2:20 PM

Yay!
Spoiler
Of course I know that was intentional.

Mysteris

Mysteris

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 11:47 AM

Just watched the premiere. There's a lot of cool stuff that could be said (and probably has been already), but overall I'll say this:

This show is awesome and I can't wait for more! :)

Bleu

Bleu

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 12:04 PM

It's notable that she resorts to violence so quickly, in a city where hostilities are already escalating to its detriment.

Korra would likely have gotten in trouble even if she'd just started putting out each fire one of the thugs set instead of immediately confronting him, because he's then want to confront her. But at least then the fighting would have been self-defense. Not that fighting to help protect a person is bad, but it wasn't the first thing she could have done if she really couldn't help doing something, even if I don't blame her for not calling the police. She probably didn't know how.

Then with the destruction of property - the newspaper and the cord it was hanging on, the monument - she means well, but needs to not resort to violence for every problem. Of course, with her lack of understanding about money and varying standards of living, she probably doesn't understand how damaging it was for her cause destruction while trying to get that one gang. She actually was oppressing those people whose property got damaged, by not considering their needs and using her powers to be able to ignore them(even though she did it out of ignorance, because the ability to be ignorant is part of privilege too). If she hadn't had them, it's be a bit more risky for herself to interfere, let alone chase those guys down. Plus she got out of the charges via being connected to the right person who could interfere on her behalf, and was surprised her connection with Chief Bei Fong would help her. That's what privileged people do: be out of touch with reality and expect others to not hold them responsible for what they do. I admire the complexity of the situation being presented here.Hopefully it will stay complicated and not easy to resolve.

Music is lovely as always.

That promo at the end - so the probending will really take a backseat/be the setting for the hostilities to erupt?

Edited by Bleu, Apr 14, 2012 @ 12:10 PM.

sintin

sintin

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 12:23 PM

Even though I watched the episodes weeks ago, I had to tune in again for the premiere. I caught some cool little things that I missed the first time, like Lin Bei Fong undoing Korra's shackles with a simple flick of the wrist, and the lady with a platypus bear on a leash (lol). I also wonder if Guy in the Bush will be LoK's equivalent of the Cabbage Merchant.

I noticed that about Korra's tendency for destruction as well. Honestly, it seems as if she's more adept with/prone to use firebending than waterbending, from what we've seen so far.

It was nice to see a female member of the White Lotus at last, even if she didn't have a speaking role.

It's interesting that they altered the explanation for why Avatars have difficulty with certain elements. In AtLA Aang had difficulty with Earthbending simply because it was the opposite element for Air.

That promo at the end - so the probending will really take a backseat/be the setting for the hostilities to erupt?

Hopefully. I enjoyed the pro bending sequences, but I'd prefer them to be like Quidditch was for the Harry Potter universe. Fun, and exciting, but ultimately just color.

GDex86

GDex86

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 1:26 PM

So I have to say first thing about this new series that made me really happy was the fact that Katara has gotten a happy ending. She is old, surround by family that loves her, and even though she does sorta have this sad smile when she talks about her family and friends that probably have passed on she seems to be at the point where she realizes 53 or so years with the man you love means that life has been unfair in her favor. I like happy endings. Second thing that made me happy was Polar Bear Dog. They are cute. I don't care what sort of horrible genetic engineering would be needed to make one but science get on it.

The new Avatar herself is just I kinda love her. She is just this funny sorta tom boy. I like her from the very first moment of the series with her as a toddler master of 3 elements. I am glad that we will probably be spending a full 3 to 4 books with her rather then just a quick miniseries.

Tenzin has been perfectly cast with JK Simmons. The man can pull off stoic but not quite as stoic as he wants. Plus I bet there will be a lot of fics written about him and his wife who seem to be attempting to single handedly restart the air nomads. He has the best reactions to things that I get him being the serious child of two hotblooded people and trying to keep it in check but some times he is just his fathers son.

I can't wait to spend more time with these characters and learn more about their stories.

Bleu

Bleu

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 1:37 PM

I slept in a bit and missed the first ten minutes. Didn't even DVR it, so it's lucky I watched it weeks ago and downloaded them off iTunes. So, if that's when the female White Lotus member was there, that's why I didn't see her.

It's interesting that they altered the explanation for why Avatars have difficulty with certain elements. In AtLA Aang had difficulty with Earthbending simply because it was the opposite element for Air.

That bothers me somewhat because of the contradicting canons. Hopefully I can fanwank it as being that the element you're raised with affects your personality a lot. Since Aang was airbending first, and was raised only by airbenders in a society of all airbenders, the personality traits associated with the element were dominant in him, making it hard to learn an element associated with opposite traits. He and Korra were/are out of balance themselves. Not to mention that this is a new world with a different way of raising the Avatar. Korra knew she was one when she was little and was raised bending three elements, not just water until she was sixteen. Plus, she was isolated from her tribe as a larger community for most of her life. So there wasn't the same immersion as with Aang, even surrounded by water and sheltered from the world.

Hopefully. I enjoyed the pro bending sequences, but I'd prefer them to be like Quidditch was for the Harry Potter universe. Fun, and exciting, but ultimately just color.

Yes. What I meant is that it seemed like the matches were going to be interfered with/appropiated by Amon. Poor Bolin and Mako won't get a chance at their winnings, it seems. Speaking of, I hope Bolin doesn't stay captured all season. I already like him and preemptively feel sorry for him.

MegaJ

MegaJ

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 2:16 PM

I saw it streaming a few weeks back, and now watching in HD. Loved it. Beautiful series (Nickelodeon must've given them a bigger budget), and DAT SOUNDTRACK.

dianakingston28

dianakingston28

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 3:53 PM

No, it's pretty much the same explanation Katara offers Aang in "Bitter Work" - Aang has difficulty with Earthbending because he approaches problems like an Airbender (ie: dodge, evade, retreat) and Toph's whole training program is designed to teach him how to stand his ground and tackle something head-on.

sintin

sintin

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 6:47 PM

No, it's pretty much the same explanation Katara offers Aang in "Bitter Work" - Aang has difficulty with Earthbending because he approaches problems like an Airbender (ie: dodge, evade, retreat) and Toph's whole training program is designed to teach him how to stand his ground and tackle something head-on.

Sorry, I should have clarified. Yes, the reason is the same, I agree, because the approach needed for Earthbending contradicted what Aang airbending philosophy, but it seemed that general rule was that Avatars would usually have trouble with their opposite element; IIRC, in "The Avatar and the Fire Lord," Roku told Aang that he found waterbending more difficult to learn, and from what little we've seen of Roku I wouldn't say that waterbending is opposite to his personality.

Sonicsean34

Sonicsean34

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 7:52 PM

sintin

from what little we've seen of Roku I wouldn't say that waterbending is opposite to his personality.

But the main difference between Korra and Aang & Roku is that she started bending 3 elements naturally without any help which seems to be unprecedented if it used to be ritual to not tell Avatars of their status till 16. And Korra based on the two eps and trailers really seems to like fire as her default bending so it makes some sense that airbending is opposite to how she thinks. (also the original explanation came from Katara who was not an expert on Avatars)

theatremouse

theatremouse

Stalker

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 10:36 AM

I realized yesterday how spoiled I was that when I first watched ATLA it was one of those Nickelodeon marathons over Thanksgiving. So I didn't have to...wait At All...between episodes. And now I do. I am not used to this.

I really dug almost everything about the premiere, although it was a bit heavy on pro-bending for my tastes. I hope that evens out a bit in the long run. Someone else mentioned quidditch, and the long scenes of pro-bending made me a little worried this might go the direction HP did somewhere in the middle of the series where it felt like 50% quidditch. I hope this does not happen. And I like sports. I am a sports fan. I watch sports on TV and in person. I play sports. But for some reason, I don't usually enjoy it when lengthy sports scenes show up in the middle of fiction. I find it a cheap way to generate suspense. (I blame my having watched The Mighty Ducks as a small child for this.) Also, not that I plan to continue comparing this entire series to the previous series, but worrying about characters winning fights in a war scenario is inherently more, for me, genuine a tension than worrying about characters winning a sporting event. So just because I have that comparison in my head, I think even without my own prejudice against fictional sporting events, pro-bending would be not as interesting to me. I appreciate that it exists in that world. I think it's a nice illustration of how that world has changed. But I don't need to see matches onscreen.

I also sort of felt like my heart grew three sizes when I realized, not only was there Aang-spawn to teach Korra airbending, but there are now at least five(?) airbenders. I knew from preview info that Tenzin would exist and be a master, but I wasn't sure until I watched that he wasn't the new last airbender (especially with their previous title shenanigans). Even though I knew it was clear in this universe they weren't going to actually let the airbenders die out, the loneliness of Aang's being the only one always depressed me. And now there are several! And will be more in the future! Yay!

Anybody else wondering how Mako and Bolin are brothers but one's an earthbender and one's a firebender? Are their parents one of each? Don't answer that. I hope we find out later.

Edited by theatremouse, Apr 15, 2012 @ 10:38 AM.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 12:19 PM

Obviously, this is Korra's story; but I'm hoping to get more info/history about the adult lives of the Avatar gang.

One thing about the character designs: I'm surprised that they didn't design a slightly different Airbender costume for girls. It was slightly weird to me that they were all wearing the same outfit.

Kalina Ann

Kalina Ann

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 3:33 PM

Whoooooo! It's back! I'm so happy to be getting new stories from the Avatar universe! I've missed it so much!

As the series progresses, I hope we learn more about what happened to the old gang. It was nice seeing Katara, though. Tenzin's children are absolutely adorable. Korra is certainly headstrong and far more eager to engage in fights than Aang was. Of course, she's a teenager, whereas Aang was just 12 (112) when A:TLA began. I can't wait to see what else is in store this time around.

Whoooooo!!! The Avatar is back, y'all!!!

Ravenwing263

Ravenwing263

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 3:37 PM

from what little we've seen of Roku I wouldn't say that waterbending is opposite to his personality.

But that's Roku all grown up, with the white beard and everything. Think of how much Aang grew from the Airbender who ran away from his destiny to the the young man who saved the world. And that was in only three years (at least from his perspective). Add a few decades of learning and hugging and growing and I don't think Korra will look very much like the opposite of an airbender, either.

TDWT Kristen

TDWT Kristen

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 4:01 PM

One thing I'm surprised about is that Lin can see. I figured she'd be about as blind as her mother.

Bookworm06

Bookworm06

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 4:56 PM

There's a detail recap of the premiere episode of Korra on this blog.

I think the creators seem to be very aware that the viewers may be missing the old gang. They have killed off everybody, but each one has a spiritual successor of some kind: You see Aang in Meelo, Toph in Lin, Zuko in Mako, and so on.

I can't help wondering if the inevitable Korra/Mako romance is going to be like an appeasement to all the people who were so disppointed when Katara and Zuko did not end up together.

Shippaisha

Shippaisha

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 5:29 PM

Anybody else wondering how Mako and Bolin are brothers but one's an earthbender and one's a firebender?

I assumed their parents are one of each, or at least one is from the Fire Nation and has firebending running in the family, and the other is from the Earth Kingdom and has earthbending running in the family. With all the mixed marriages that have occurred since Aang ended the Fire Nation War (and maybe even started the trend himself with Katara) it's probably not unheard of in Korra's time.

One thing about the character designs: I'm surprised that they didn't design a slightly different Airbender costume for girls. It was slightly weird to me that they were all wearing the same outfit.

The flashbacks to female Air Nomads in the old show have them wearing skirts with the Airbender costume top. But having them all wear Aang's outfit is probably a shout-out since Aang is no longer around. Plus it's less sexist. And it might be part of advancing the show world's timeline, with pants becoming more common than skirts and dresses.

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 6:21 PM

One thing I'm surprised about is that Lin can see. I figured she'd be about as blind as her mother.

Not necessarily. Toph was born to parents with normal eyesight, yet was born blind. It depends on the recessive trait for blindness. If Toph had more children (presumably with the same fellow who fathered Lin) it's possible one of them could have been born blind or carried the recessive gene for it.

I've also known people with normal hearing whose parents are both deaf. Same thing more or less.

Speaking of Toph, I wonder if she's still around. For some reason I imagine her coming to visit and Lin being all bent out of shape since her mother is the only one who can make her acquiesce to anything.

Edited by magicdog, Apr 15, 2012 @ 6:26 PM.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 6:37 PM

The flashbacks to female Air Nomads in the old show have them wearing skirts with the Airbender costume top. But having them all wear Aang's outfit is probably a shout-out since Aang is no longer around. Plus it's less sexist. And it might be part of advancing the show world's timeline, with pants becoming more common than skirts and dresses.

I don't have a problem with the pants, I just think there should be a feminine version of the outfit. But that's me nitpicking; they look fine.