5-1/5-2: "A Little Kiss" 2012.03.25 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

734 replies to this topic

TWoP Mars

TWoP Mars

Stalker

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 12:08 PM

From AMCTV.com:

In the special two-hour premiere of Season 5, the staff at Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce continues to captivate as they grapple with an uncertain new reality.

Edited by TWoP Mars, Mar 29, 2012 @ 10:49 PM.

Libby1975

Libby1975

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 10:14 PM

It seems like the theme of these two set-up episodes is that domestic life isn't always perfect: from Peter's mournful "Trudy never used to leave the house in a robe" and the sight of him finishing up a long working day with cereal eaten straight outta the box; to Don bursting Megan's party balloons; to Lane being so unhappy with the wife he was forced back to that he indulges in fantasy flirtations; to Roger and Jane's sniping at each other at the party.
Babies wreak all kinds of havoc. just ask Joan, suddenly like every other exhausted, overwhelmed new mommy at the mercy of her hormones. And whatdayaknow, Joan missed the office. Just-work-here-til-you-get-married Joan MISSED THE OFFICE. Peter and Trudy seem to be living in the burbs for the baby's sake, much to Peter's horror. Are Harry Crane and Jennifer separated or just living in domestic horror? No wonder so many of these people long for working life, at least there they can be at the centre of things. have social contact with co-workers and feel competent.
Speaking of babies and the office, Joan bringing the bundle of joy to work rewarded me with two baby-secret moments: Pete being handed the baby by Peggy was clearly awkward as hell for him and Roger's "there's my baby -- now get that brat out of the way so I can get to her." I wonder if he has a clue that he is the father.

It seems like the theme of these two set-up episodes is that domestic life isn't always perfect: from Peter's mournful "Trudy never used to leave the house in a robe" and the sight of him finishing up a long working day with cereal eaten straight outta the box; to Don bursting Megan's party balloons; to Roger and Jane's sniping at each other at the party.
Babies wreak all kinds of havoc. just ask Joan, suddenly like every other exhausted, overwhelmed new mommy at the mercy of her hormones. And whatdayaknow, Joan missed the office. Just-work-here-til-you-get-married Joan MISSED THE OFFICE. Peter and Trudy seem to be living in the burbs for the baby's sake, much to Peter's horror. Are Harry Crane and Jennifer separated or just living in domestic horror? No wonder so many of these people long for working life, at least there they can be at the centre of things. have social contact with co-workers and feel competent.
Speaking of babies and the office, Joan bringing the bundle of joy to work rewarded me with two baby-secret moments: Pete being handed the baby by Peggy was clearly awkward as hell for him and Roger's "there's my baby -- now get that brat out of the way so I can get to her." I wonder if he has a clue that he is the father.

Edited by Libby1975, Mar 26, 2012 @ 12:18 AM.

Charlie Baker

Charlie Baker

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 10:15 PM

Well, there was no need to fear disappointment. We're right back at SCDP as if it hadn't been such a long time. And having Pete be right, like him or not. Or Megan growing into a sympathetic figure, at least somewhat? Or Don referring to Morticia and Lurch.

Best scene: Joan and Lane.

Wow, good to have the show back.

macster83

macster83

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 10:19 PM

Aside from the last few minutes, this episode (2 hours!) was incredibly boring. Way too much time with Don, who is clearly a pod person, and Megan. I know it's probably because of the long wait between seasons and the built up anticipation, but I was really disappointed. Please get better, Mad Men.

over30patheticgroupie

over30patheticgroupie

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 10:28 PM

Is Bobby the kid who played Susan & Mike's son on Desperate Housewives? Bad choice. And they recycled Joan's mother from DH too.

I wore the same kind of pajamas as Sally.

Looks like Lane's father whipped into taking his wife back.

I still don't care for Megan.

I missed Betty, although I liked Don calling Henry Lurch.

I didn't get into it as much as I thought I would. Bring Joan back to the office and we need some Betty bitchiness.

PRgal

PRgal

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 10:29 PM

1. I knew that Joan was going to have a boy. The show has alternated between boys and girls since the beginning.

2. What's with Lane?

3. Was that dumb blonde secretary fired?

4. Was the "being sick" and holding the baby foreshadowing for Megan?

5. Will Coke save SCDP?

CleoCaesar

CleoCaesar

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 10:31 PM

Megan is just painful. She better croak sometime mid-season because I don't know if I can handle 12 more episodes with her.

PinknChloe

PinknChloe

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 10:33 PM

Megan's teeth still annoy the crap out of me. That's all I got for now…

over30patheticgroupie

over30patheticgroupie

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 10:33 PM

Will Coke save SCDP?

I figured that was just a fake out for Roger

Souvien

Souvien

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 10:34 PM

"Zou Bisou Bisou" was just brilliant - zut alors! Is there anyone that doesn't want Don's new apartment? No one more than Pete. To that end, did anyone else think that Pete was walikng into the old Ossining house? If this episode showed one thing, it is is that Harry Crane is suuuuch an idiot!

Jersey09

Jersey09

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 10:34 PM

I totally missed Betty.

The new Mrs. Draper is like a beautiful train wreck. Her party was fabulous. Don's new digs are so groovy. OMG. Her french singing gig and the co-workers making fun of her were horrifying on so many levels. Her wardrobe is fabulous, natch. You could tell she envies Peggy, while Peggy probably looks at her and thinks, "lucky bitch." I would NEVER want to be a lady during these times.

Loved seeing Joan! Loved her feelings about work.

I just love the Mad Men ladies so much.

Interesting stuff with Peter as well. He seems to be the only man in the office who is focused on work. All the others are just boozing it up.

So glad the show is back.

dupreesgal

dupreesgal

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 10:35 PM

Pete's not really meeting Coke, right?

Dianaofthehunt

Dianaofthehunt

Loyal Viewer

The scene between Lane and Joan was an absolute gem.
Joan knows her worth in that office, and she's fully aware she's too valuable to be wasting away at home. I cheered how she verbally slapped down her traditional mumsy!

Peggy mortified me with her reference to work at the party. Jeez, Peggy, you know better than that.

It's a drag that Pete and Trudy are out in suburbia now. Don and Megan's apartment...very nice! And I like her referring to HER money. And, need I add? I really love that she hasn't quit her work!

Why was Lane so intent on keeping that wallet, even before he saw Dolores' photo inside? Any theories?

Ess Cee

Ess Cee

Loyal Viewer

It was slow, but that was because there's a lot to set up.

Don and Megan are going to be a trainwreck to end all trainwrecks. It will be glorious.

almondglaze

almondglaze

Channel Surfer

I miss Betty! Hate Megan.

SDcat2009

SDcat2009

Stalker

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 10:36 PM

Welp I'm totally shipping Lane/Joan....sorry but I am.

Great to have the show back. Don is still being a dick to the women who love him. Even though I don't particularly like Megan she didn't deserve to be the target of his Dick angst.

I really want Pete to run Roger out on his ass. Glad he finally figure out Roger's game

ETA: I don't really like Megan

Edited by SDcat2009, Mar 25, 2012 @ 10:42 PM.

notanextra

notanextra

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 10:37 PM

First thing I noticed was that Sally is getting tall. And then she spoke. The show's been on hiatus long enough for her voice to change.

Megan is a nut job. And except for the weirdest vertical face wrinkles I've ever seen, she can be pretty sexy.

bagatelle1

bagatelle1

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 10:37 PM

Pete's new house looked strangely like Don's old one. Complete with entering through the back door into the kitchen. Then again, Don's new apartment looked strangely like Pete's old one.

quentin312002

quentin312002

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 10:38 PM

Oh Mad Men, How I've missed you!

There is trouble in paradise for everyone! My favourite exchange of the night was between Roger and Jane;
"Why can't you sing like that?"
"Why can't you look like that?"

I guess it's taken this long for Megan to figure out who the hell she married. And no, I don't mean what Don's real name it, but I'm glad that she knows. Unfortunately besides that he hasn't learned much else new about dealing with marriage. And it's just a bad idea in any office in any decade for a husband and wife to be working there, but this might be the only way to keep Don from cheating. Or they will kill each other first.

I was kind of expecting to see Peggy with a new bf at the start of the season. It just seems like they did that with her last season along with a new room mate. I was actually glad to see Abe and he was putting his foot in his mouth as usual.

Harry has gotten even creepier. I didn't think it was possible.

I kind of hate Roger for his "prank" and that he actually was surprised that people applied and didn't see it as a joke. I never really hated Roger, I just thought that the world was a lot simpler in Roger's head.

Edited by quentin312002, Mar 25, 2012 @ 10:42 PM.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Will Coke save SCDP?

Are they a real potential client? My impression was that Pete made it all up as a ruse.

I liked the episode well enough. I think it always takes a few episodes to get into the season.

Interested to see where all this leads between Don, Megan, and Peggy. Peggy can't hide her feelings toward her at all.

superpole2000

superpole2000

Fanatic

I enjoyed the kinky relationship between Don and Megan, and the party had some good moments, but the rest of the episode was fairly dull. Joan's scenes did not appeal to me, and I felt they dragged. Pete's train adventures and Pryce's wallet plot were completely uninteresting.

Jschoolgirl

Jschoolgirl

Fanatic

Why does Lane need Dolores when Toni must be out there somewhere?

I think Meghan is going to make Betty look stable.

So glad to see my darling Lane!

lucindabelle

lucindabelle

Fanatic

I love Megan and Don together, and that they're still so much in love. IT is a new kinder Don. I loved that they made up and he let her in on what was really bugging him-- not the party but the people. It was such an "aha" moment. I also love how confident she is in HIS love.

So will SCDP be hiring a black secretary? Yay!

BBDi

BBDi

Fanatic

Why was Lane so intent on keeping that wallet, even before he saw Dolores' photo inside? Any theories?

Lane did not trust the Black cabbie to turn in the wallet.

Pete's new house looked strangely like Don's old one. Complete with entering through the back door into the kitchen. Then again, Don's new apartment looked strangely like Pete's old one.

I think in part that Pete wanted what Don had (used to have, anyway), but I know Trudy dreamed about a life in Greenwich.

Pete was such a petulant little boy throughout the episode, but I'm on his side anyway.

I wonder if Megan is just going to have Don by the balls from now on.

Edited by BBDi, Mar 25, 2012 @ 10:42 PM.

babylibra7

babylibra7

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 10:39 PM

I thought it was to illustrate the inadvertent racism that existed during that time, nicely juxtapositioned with Lane accepting resumes from the black women at the end of the episode.

eavj

eavj

Couch Potato

Jared Harris was excellent in these episodes. And I agree that Lane's scene with Joan was great.

I loved Pete's madras jacket. It was SO mid-'60s. And did Peggy have a madras skirt?

It's so good to have the show back. Too bad we see Betty next week. I generally prefer the Betty-free episodes.

not Bridget

not Bridget

Fanatic

Pete's not really meeting Coke, right?

Right. He was just sending Roger on a wild goose chase to Staten Island at the crack of dawn!

veritykindle85

veritykindle85

Fanatic

I assumed it was because he didn't trust the cab driver not to steal the money, which also tied in with the episode-long racial undercurrents.

And since at least three or so others posted that the same time I did, I'll also contribute that I actually enjoyed the ep, though maybe I just missed the show too much. But it felt as though it set things up a bit more firmly than previous premieres have. Loved Pete's final recognition of how to really operate with Roger, and that battle is probably one of the threads I'm most interested in seeing develop (don't let me down, Matt). I'm uncomfortable with feeling sort of bad for Megan; I'm sympathetic to Peggy's view, but at the same time I'm not so sure Megan deliberately put herself into this position with an understanding of how it would be perceived or, really, how that world actually works. She's in the wrong place, and I sort of hate Happy Newlywed Don, but I don't necessarily think she's the cunning villainess some may have suspected her of being, either.

That said, her performance made me cringe, but then I'm not in its demographic. ;)

Oddly, when the previews for next week came on, I had completely forgotten about Betty and Henry until that point. It's always about the SCDP crew for me.

Edited by veritykindle85, Mar 25, 2012 @ 10:46 PM.

aleeshie

aleeshie

Couch Potato

5. Will Coke save SCDP?

Unless I missed something, there's no actual meeting with Coke. Pete just said that so Roger would show up at Staten Island at 6 a.m., like he did with Pete's earlier meeting.

This premiere was a lot like other Mad Men season premieres: slow and setting a tone. I enjoyed it, though. I really felt Peggy's frustration, though I cringed at her comment at Don's party. (Not that her comment was the only cringe-worthy thing going on there.) I'm sort of bummed that she's still with Abe. He's so full of himself! And what was his carpet comment?

I missed Betty also. I didn't expect to...

ETA: Sorry, I guess everybody else answered the Coke thing before me!

Edited by aleeshie, Mar 25, 2012 @ 10:43 PM.

dupreesgal

dupreesgal

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 10:40 PM

The 18 month break hurt the believeability of the show. All the actors aged noticably. It is most noticeable with Sally of course, but even Pete and Peggy looked older.