The Voice UK

• Please log in to reply

120 replies to this topic

NotPatrick

NotPatrick

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 6:51 PM

I thought, no overstatement, that in total that was the most piss-poor set of performances I've ever seen on a singing-based reality show episode. Just atrocious.

O2Sean

O2Sean

Stalker

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 7:09 PM

Jessie J seems to be taking styling tips from Russell Brand.

Frances - I think Will found the right genre for her, trying to put her into early 90's/late 80's dance music. Her voice still sounds like a sick sheep but she had some good moments along with the bad. The staging reminded me a little too much of that ponderous "kings" or "thrones" stuff dragged onto dance shows, didn't care for the princess dress either, but that's immaterial. The judges were useless, as always, and I was mostly trying to figure out why Jessie was trying to come up with an attack when she seemed to have little to say about it. It felt like saying it just for the sake of saying it.

Leanne - She certainly has powerful vocals, but this song isn't about how loud you are. She ruined the sultriness of the song and at times she seriously hurt my ears.

Tyler - I kind of laughed at him talking about how he needs to "keep calm" when he is slumped over half-dead in every interview. This performance didn't do a lot for me - listless, every line was oversung, and I was frightened by that weird wall of his faces singing. It's like stumbling into an evil dictatorship of falsetto.

Adam - I finally realized who he reminds me of! That twink on Hollyoaks who dated/harassed Teresa and was a mini-crime lord and fell down an elevator. You could see how hard the show was working to show Adam's personality in the intro package, but I have no idea who showed his fiance. Way to chase off voters! I don't know if he'll be getting any based on that journeyman performance, the same drone which makes most modern rock music indistinguishable to me. As the performance went along and his falsetto (which sounded much better than Tyler's) kicked in, I thought he improved, but I'm not sure if this can overcome the dullness.

Jaz - I don't understand what was going on with that coat - is he going to solve a murder (that was just Muleen singing, Jaz). I would have rather heard him sing the Billy Joel song, as the Bruno Mars song is whiny and sounds like a greeting card commercial. His vocals were empty and rushed, the ending was very abrupt, and it sounded like his mic was half-broken. I also don't understand why that portrait he was singing in front of had him scowling at his wife!

Ruth - I liked this more than a lot of people seemed to like it. I thought she was trying some type of Joan Armadrating/Tracy Chapman vibe. She got lost as the song went along, but I do appreciate her trying something different for her. Now she needs to stop wearing a couch.

Joelle - hated the disco ball dress which seemed to be coming apart. This song doesn't do a lot for me, even though I like Kelly Clarkson. This didn't change my mind. She seemed a little weak and out of touch with the song. I think they should have given her the song they gave Ruth.

Muleen - I swear that background was in the Torchwood episode about the killer fairies. As always they should *not* be singing together and I don't think his voice was in any way suited to that song. It's like Eddie Vedder singing Sesame Street. For once I would have preferred Sueleen singing on her own.

Team Tom group song - Well, Tom is in better voice than I had assumed. That's nice. Too bad the rest of the team were thrown overboard with a song they ranged on from blandly competent (Adam) to horrible (Ruth). All I can say outside of that is Ruth and Leanne should sue the wardrobe people.

Team Will group song - I imagine the ghost of Ray Charles arguing with the ghost of Tyler's good friend Amy Winehouse about the...merits of that...singing. Jaz wasn't much better. His voice is just forgettable. I did get a good laugh out of Will just doing his best to ignore the women as long as possible. Still, her part in the medley was some of Joelle's best work yet.

So, overall, I would say:

1. Ruth
2. Adam (the last half)
3. Frances (parts)

the rest.

I thought, no overstatement, that in total that was the most piss-poor set of performances I've ever seen on a singing-based reality show episode. Just atrocious.

I think lowered expectations or offbeat song choices made me warm to a few, but I'd agree with you about the rest. I think it would be better if they just stopped pretending these are such rare voices who are doing shocking things. A voice like Jaz can be found anywhere.

Promethea Again

Promethea Again

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 8:10 AM

Adam - I finally realized who he reminds me of!

Me too, only I thought it was the guy from The Inbetweeners who's also in Fresh Meat. Although that guy is talented; Adam is a total bore and awkward to watch.

It's like stumbling into an evil dictatorship of falsetto.

Ha ha! I amused myself during Tyler's introduction by randomly inserting references to Amy Winehouse. For instance, when he was told to imagine singing to his best friend, "only she's not here, because she's dead and by the way AMY WINEHOUSE" or when he said he liked hanging out with his friends, "one of whom used to be AMY WINEHOUSE". They are going out of their way to make him sound as boring as he sings - I believe he conquered a drug or drink problem, it would be more interesting to hear him talk about that than how he likes snooker or whatever.

I was bored by most of the performances. I quite liked Leanne, oddly enough, although in a sort of Her Off The Cruise type way. I mean I wouldn't go to her concerts. I've liked Jazz a lot before but this time, no, not at all.
Frances should be on The X Factor. She would get voted out 5th or 6th. Joelle too, very forgettable, shame as she can sing and seems pleasant but there's nothing there that makes me think she's a star.
I want to admire Gandalf & Dobby for changing the arrangement but it was awful - ruined the song. Think they're goners, along with Joelle.

I couldn't decide if Will I Am was drunk, had drunk too much fizzy pop or was just trying to be wacky to compensate for the dull performances, but he was all over the place. His critiques were literally just babble, even more so than usual. His staging of the group number was interesting and kind of worked but I couldn't get over how he was pretending to play the piano at first. Since he did actually seem to be playing it later in the song (after the rap bit), I can't understand why he was so obviously just pretending to play it earlier.

Meanwhile, Jessie seemed pissed off with someone or something (I was reminded of just how young she actually is), Tom was quite funny with the golf bit and Danny is still entertaining me simply by being cute and excessively enthusiastic. I like how he's always trying to whip up the crowd for the performers and likes to dance etc. It seems like he's having a ball on the show, he obviously knows he lucked into it and is making the most of it, it's kind of fun to watch.

qurtalain

qurtalain

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 9:52 AM

Meanwhile, Jessie seemed pissed off with someone or something (I was reminded of just how young she actually is)

There's been a story in the papers that Jessie's been acting like a diva on the show. Whether it's true or not, I don't know but I'm guessing it might have played on her mind.

I'm finding the coaches feedback a bit of a bore but I appreciate Danny's enthusiasm. Seems a shame he's stuck on the end like an afterthought. I bet there'd be more banter if he was sat in the middle. I liked his impression of Will.I.Am, it made me laugh. Also, Tom's golf outing was fun too. Will sucks when he's rambling and taking... endless... pauses... for no reason.

I'm afraid to say I hated Ruth's performance. It was just way too much - the scrunched up face, the overemoting, the yelling. I think 'Next To Me' is a happy, bubbly song and she turned it into dreck.

I wanted Tyler to be great and he wasn't. I felt like he was trying to repeat his first show success using his falsetto rather than move forward and do something different. Lay off the falsetto and let's see what you can do, Tyler.

I loved the staging and arrangement for 'Missing' by Sueleen and Gandalf guy. Their vocals seemed off in places - like previously mentioned, I would have liked to hear Sueleen take sole lead over the vocals.

I think Jaz is so overrated. It kind of irked me by how much talk there was about singing solely to his wife. There's a time and place for that and it ain't on national TV! Sorry to intrude on the lovefest but we, the audience, aren't chopped liver [/mean]. Also, the giant screen was hideous.

I did like both the group performances. They were fun and not as cheesy as I'd expected it to be. Props to the choreographers and staging peeps on that.

Ehyeh

Ehyeh

Video Archivist

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 9:25 PM

I don't think i'll be rooting for anyone from Team Tom and Will.

Tyler's falsetto is inconsistent. Sometimes he hits it, sometimes he comes off short and weak. His first live show performance was a proof of that and this week was no different. I like the way he started the song but somewhere along the way he kind of lost it. I do like his song choices so far in his first and second live show performances. I love "Sign Your Name" although his version came off a bit short and anti-climatic.

Leanne is old-fashioned but I think that was one of the more decent performances, certainly better than her first.

Ruth started well and then it became annoying towards the end.

Joelle's performance didn't really "take off".

Adam was robotic and he used his falsh!tto.

I don't think that was the best song choice for Frances.

I like Matt's voice but not Sueleen's. They're like The Line in the US version where the male half of the act might have done better without the female.

And ewwww at Jaz's performance. Just as I expected, it was cheesy and the attempt to mash-up those two songs came off trying too hard, almost kind of pointless really. His vocals were better in the Billy Joel song but with Bruno Mars, it was a mess. The worst part of that performance was when his and his wife's face were projected on the jumbotron, that was cringe-worthy.

I love Team Danny's group performance.

O2Sean

O2Sean

Stalker

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 1:10 AM

I love Team Danny's group performance.

I thought it was fantastic in song choice and the way they used the backing vocals - great ending in particular. It had the vitality which has often been missing in the performances. I didn't understand Max laying down with the camera angle which looked like his lower half was patched on from another body. David leaning off the staircase was...interesting. I rolled my eyes when they had the extended scenes of ever-bashful Aleks (even when he wasn't singing), yet when David was singing his solo, he was drowned out and the camera tried its best to avoid him. Not too subtle there, show.

Bo would be much better off in a group than doing all that angst whispering on her own. Maybe she really is a long lost Cranberry?

Jessie's group performance was a big mess in comparison. No harmonies. Vince's voice is very unpleasant to the ear. Toni still seems like the evil alien overlord masquerading as a reality show contestant. Becky has that 3-packs-a-day voice which certainly has its place but is bizarre in group songs (it reminds me of the rocker Amanda in American Idol years ago, who clearly loathed group songs). Cassius probably came across the best. Most of all they just didn't seem to be any type of unit when they were singing. They were on different planets.

I know Tyler has had a difficult past but is he seriously ill at the moment? He just seems like he curls up into a ball whenever possible.

How comforting for Will's bottom three when he told them he'd gotten lucky picking Jaz...

My heart broke a little for Frances - sometimes I do forget how vulnerable/young some of the contestants are.

Ehyeh

Ehyeh

Video Archivist

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 2:38 AM

Yeah, I like the harmonies in Team Danny but I have to wonder if Aleks actually sang his part in that. I could definitely make out Max, Bo and David's voices in the harmonies (which was nice despite the differences in their voices) but not Aleks, either that or his voice isn't just distinct enough which is my biggest problem with him. He's my least-liked member from that group (preferred Hannah even with her mess last week) but he's also one of the most popular. UGH!

O2Sean

O2Sean

Stalker

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 3:13 AM

Yeah, I like the harmonies in Team Danny but I have to wonder if Aleks actually sang his part in that. I could definitely make out Max, Bo and David's voices in the harmonies (which was nice despite the differences in their voices) but not Aleks, either that or his voice isn't just distinct enough which is my biggest problem with him. He's my least-liked member from that group (preferred Hannah even with her mess last week) but he's also one of the most popular. UGH!

He did barely get out his solo - I think he just was too weak vocally to blend in with the harmonies. When they had a closeup of him singing during the harmonies you couldn't make him out at all.

I think there is something slightly melancholy in his voice which works, but not enough to have been chosen for this show. He makes a huge joke of the hype over "the voice" and how this is supposed to be about "the voice." It sucks that he will probably get in, with little effort, over David and Max. Both of them seem to be dismissed by a lot of fans because Tyler already fills the role of the angst-ridden soul with the bad falsetto, but I'd like to see David get a few more weeks, as I think vocally he's the most interesting of the guys left (maybe it's because I never saw Matt Carlde, I don't know).

What song were they singing?

When Jake Shears appeared, did anyone mistakenly think he was a contestant? He was wearing the same hideous suit Ruth and Toni were stuck in. Maybe they share a wardrobe person?

Promethea Again

Promethea Again

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 12:54 PM

I hadn't actually realised that 2 were going from each team, but it makes sense to thin out the no-hopers. However I don't see the logic of revealing the top vote-getter, thus killing a lot of suspense for the next appearance of these teams. Couldn't they have let the coaches save two of four? I guess there's still the question of who's most popular among the eventual final four, but feels like we could skip the week after next and the one after that.

Ehyeh

Ehyeh

Video Archivist

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 9:11 PM

However I don't see the logic of revealing the top vote-getter, thus killing a lot of suspense for the next appearance of these teams.

Not always. Especially if the top vote-getter and the other one who was saved are deemed neck and neck in terms of talent and popularity.

If anything this puts pressure on the top vote-getter. A recent example was in the US with Team CeeLo. Jamar won the public vote and Ceelo saved Juliet during the quarter-finals. In their next appearance (which was the semis), Juliet got 60+% of the public vote over Jamar.

Occasional Hope

Occasional Hope

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 3:55 PM

Danny's enthusiasm is my favourite thing about the show. He's just like a puppy.

I never expect much musically from these shows, which means I don't get disappointed ;)

O2Sean

O2Sean

Stalker

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 12:09 PM

Spoiler

NotPatrick

NotPatrick

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 2:54 PM

Oh my God, such an amazing trainwreck :

• Jessie J stopping the entire show because her mic wasn't in
  • Becky forgetting the words then miming "FUCK!" right down the camera
  • Danny's "group performance" which might be the most artistically misguided thing I've ever seen
  • Aleks mumbling his way through a Jack Johnson song then the CARNAGE that ensued
  • That whole judges fight over David's song choice that went on forever and made everyone apart from Tom look like a pompous moron
  • Reggie calling Cassius out on staring down Hollie's top
  • Vince singing about being on the Amistad
  • Toni reaching MAXIMUM TONI at exactly the wrong moment
  • David turning Maroon 5 into a stalker ballad
  • Jessie J being SO.DAMNED.BORED
  • William openly tweeting rather than bothering to critique

The show should be like this every week.

Edited by NotPatrick, May 19, 2012 @ 2:55 PM.

Promethea Again

Promethea Again

Couch Potato

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 6:58 PM

I was out and didn't see it yet, BUT NOW I MUST!

Ehyeh

Ehyeh

Video Archivist

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 7:16 PM

The producers don't seem to like Max at all? LOL. I mean they had him perform again at the death spot when he could have been given the chance at the pimp spot or at least perform at the second half. I actually enjoyed his performance but I'm weary about it not exactly being a contest piece.

I like Toni's performance. Kinda like Leanne last week, quite old-fashioned but it was good for the most part.

I also like Vince but I want to see him wear something different than usual.

I enjoyed Becky, vocal flaws, forgetting the lyrics, cursing and all haha. She just needs to be guided and taught about control with her voice and performance though. I like the huskiness of her voice.

Okay David started well but then when he got to the chorus it was weak. After his first live performance, he should have avoided doing songs that call for doing falsetto. I actually like his voice when he's not trying to attempt falsetto.

Bo didn't seem to be in the zone with her song. Did she choose it? There were moments there where she sounded like she was straining. I would still like to see her in the semis along with Max.

Cassius was just bad and Aleks just droned on and on and on with that song. How many notes was that? Four?

Oh yeah after praising Team Danny's group performance last week, I gotta say last night was a disaster for them. I blame Danny though hahaha. What happened to him?

Edited by Ehyeh, May 19, 2012 @ 7:18 PM.

O2Sean

O2Sean

Stalker

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 10:32 PM

Why was Holly wearing a wrestling belt?

If someone constantly changes their hair because they're bored, Jessie J must be sick to death of this and waiting for her role in Powerpuff Girls. I did have to laugh at how she had to start over for perfection and then sounded like shit, along with her group. This mess made me appreciate Tom's group performance (which seemed to amount to buying disused bridsemaid dresses and having people stand in the background) more.

I did have a good laugh out of whatever face Jessie was making at the end.

Vince looks more and more like the pretentious poser cousin that Chuckie from Child's Play doesn't acknowledge.

The producers don't seem to like Max at all? LOL. I mean they had him perform again at the death spot when he could have been given the chance at the pimp spot or at least perform at the second half. I actually enjoyed his performance but I'm weary about it not exactly being a contest piece.

If they liked him they'd tell him to stop wearing that hat. And what a great reason to keep Max - "he's a one-man band." Is he going to smash his head with a tambourine too?

Every time I hear that song I just think, why can't someone sing Neutron Dance? Is this the "arty" version of Neutron Dance? I thought it was perfectly fine, although the pump was pointless. I guess this was supposed to be about how risky it was, but he didn't exactly lose a limb. I don't normally see the point of pointless hip-hop breaks to prove cool points, but I'd rather hear that than someone bleating "no no no no no" a few dozen times. I would agree with Will about song choice more if he had not done a poor job of that with his team last week. Danny was way too defensive though.

Edited by O2Sean, May 19, 2012 @ 10:37 PM.

Ehyeh

Ehyeh

Video Archivist

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 11:12 PM

I would agree with Will about song choice more if he had not done a poor job of that with his team last week.

He was right about criticizing the song choices but he was being annoying about it. [sarcasm]Sure Will you really did a phenomenal job last week with your own acts.[/sarcasm] And he had to bring up Tyler's name. I love Tyler's song (the only decent song choice last week) but I didn't think he "smashed" or owned that performance. Yeah right Will, let me see you not busing Tyler in favor of Jaz next week.

Edited by Ehyeh, May 19, 2012 @ 11:14 PM.

O2Sean

O2Sean

Stalker

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 12:38 AM

Cassius - Oversung, overwrought. It's great to work on your vocal range but if you add nothing emotionally you just seem like someone anxiously circling a stage wringing the neck of a song. I know they said he is "what the industry needs" but that type of singing is what drags an industry down.

Bo - I don't really get it. Disconnected yelping while doing a strange combo of a naughty maid's uniform and a Pocahontas tribute. I wonder if the people who criticized Ruth for being hard to understand will say the same about her? And did an hourglass burst into flames? Is that a meta statement on the career longevity of reality show singers?

Kelly Osborne as Rupert from Survivor: Once again no melody to be found. It was better than last week, so that's something. I tend to agree with the Guardian reviewer that this sounded familiar. His pouting when Tom was droning on was my favorite part of the performance.

He was right about criticizing the song choices but he was being annoying about it. [sarcasm]Sure Will you really did a phenomenal job last week with your own acts.[/sarcasm] And he had to bring up Tyler's name. I love Tyler's song but I didn't think he "smashed" or owned that performance. Yeah right Will, let me see you not busing Tyler in favor of Jaz next week.

Thanks for telling me, as I didn't hear him bring up Tyler. I thought that was a bad song choice - it was not a flattering comparison for Tyler and how TTDA shone at that time, not to mention how much Tyler struggled with breath control.

Aleks - Surprised at how arrogantly he came across in that intro package. I do like that "I get all the girls song", even if it was used in one of the biggest cases of false advertising in BBC history. Surprisingly the edit had the whiff of sabotage, as hearing someone talk about what they need to do to get votes is often seen as the height of evil (at least he didn't say "game plan"). The song was incomprehensible and lackluster. The best part was when they cut to Tom looking half-dead. I have to wonder if Aleks was being a brat backstage and the show was putting its foot down.

Becky - I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when she said she didn't know who Janis Joplin is, but at least she's honest. That was a hilarious trainwreck of a performance. I don't think I've ever seen such a close representation of the old Candy Slice character Gilda Radner played on SNL. The funny thing is even with her disasters she was still in better voice than almost everyone who'd performed before her.

David - I was hoping David would do well, mostly because I think he's as good as those who get more praise, but I thought that was a bad song choice which he was sometimes very out of tune on. He also seemed very sweaty. I rolled my eyes at Will saying he doesn't want to be known as the one who tells it how it is, when much of what he says is undecipherable platitudes and cliches.

Toni - This was a perfectly capable, soulless performance, on a song I've never been crazy about in the first place. I'm sorry that she lapsed into tearing invisible chunks of meat from mid-air halfway through the song, as it just exposed that, lovely and talented person that she is, she seems like a joke act, and I spent half the performance trying to imagine her as a Streisand impersonator. I felt sorry for her as she basically seemed to be saying goodbye when she was talking to Holly.

Danny group song - The go carts looked fun. Aleks saying he was a good loser contrasted with the sulking over his critque was hilarious (I know those were different circumstances!). I hated the artsy-fartsy and overly serious staging of that performance. It was just a vanity project which wasted some talented performers. The best thing I could say is that I'm glad that outfit David was wearing, which reminded me of very old Brookside episodes, is coming back into style.

qurtalain

qurtalain

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 9:54 AM

I loved last night's show. It was hilarious in places. I found Danny's acts to be more memorable but for all the wrong reasons. Max was dull, Aleks was a sulky brat, David's vocals were all over the place. Weirdly, I liked Bo. She started out really strong I thought. It was ethereal and very commercial. Part of me wonders why she hasn't made it despite having such a marketable voice. The group song - Oh Lord, I was embarrassed for everyone involved.

I loved Becky from start to finish. The crimped hair was hideous though. Poor thing. Cassius bores me senseless. He is sorely lacking in charisma and sex appeal. It doesn't surprise me he never made it. Also, I never realised how short he was! I loved Vince's amazeballs audition but I did not like the song choice this week. Toni was blah.

I felt like the coach's banter was finally warming up this week. Will.I.Am was roused out of his cryptic comments to actually say something of worth re: Danny's poor song choices. I thought Danny was going to ask Will to step outside for moment, it got so heated. I haven't liked Tom before but there's a Bruce Forsyth quality to him and I'm starting to appreciate him now. Sometimes, he blathers on, sometimes he is succinct and dryly funny. Like when Will said 'Bo. Whoa.' and Tom was like, 'I wish I could rhyme like that.' and the sarcasm flew over Jessie's head. Heh.

I think Jessie's category seems the weakest which is weird because it seemed like she was nabbing all the talent during auditions. I hope David, Bo, Becky and Vince go through.

Edited by qurtalain, May 20, 2012 @ 9:57 AM.

O2Sean

O2Sean

Stalker

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 11:16 AM

Jessie isn't even pretending the result isn't already spoiled.

Spoiler

Phan

Phan

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 1:42 PM

I've been watching this in passing, but last night was such a trainwreck I'm almost captivated by it:

- Toni's face making was on full blast that I was laughing about it; I'm aware I'm going to hell.
- Becky's mumble mouth, dropping lyrics, missing cues, and dropping a fuck on TV. Yet the judges gave her a standing O and only Tom had the sense to comment on some of it.
- The judge bloodbath for most of Danny's line up (who I actually thought were the best group before tonight)
- The utter insanity of both group performances.
- Will.I.Am deciding to comment on the blandness and idiocy for once- while I agree with him on tonight, he's one to talk, his team was just as bad the first week of lives

Just wow.

Promethea Again

Promethea Again

Couch Potato

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 2:26 PM

I don't fancy Danny anymore. Not after seeing him emerge from a painting of an apple wearing a bowler hat and urchin outfit, like he was a dancer from a production of Mary Poppins who got muddled up backstage. He looked ridiculous and sounded bad (the staging was obviously awful, but in fact I thought Bo and David were alright on that song, would rather have heard them duet it).

Most of the Saturday show was just boring. Although she obviously screwed up, I enjoyed Becky the most so I'm glad she was saved. She's all over the place but there's something there. There isn't with Cassius and Toni's faces and utter desperation were just too much to take. I suppose I should feel sorry for Aleks because he's young and didn't realise how cynical professionalism is seen as arrogant on these shows, but his pouty sulks and attitude were awful. I know it was because he was probably trying not to cry, but they were still awful. Some of the others are only 20 or so, they manage to take criticism gracefully. And his performances were all unmitigated lazy shite.

I couldn't really concentrate much on the results show for coming over unexpectedly prudish about Holly's inappropriate outfit. I didn't realise I was so Mary Whitehouse, but honestly it seemed totally wrong for an early Sunday evening family show. I mean, I know that's what she's famous for, wearing tops which emphasise her breasts, but c'mon. We can see them without coming out in just a bra.

I haven't liked Tom before but there's a Bruce Forsyth quality to him and I'm starting to appreciate him now.

I can't stand Forsyth, but I know what you mean, I am warming to him too. Maybe it's because the others are annoying me, but I think he actually gives nice, constructive feedback which finds a way of criticising without being self-aggrandising, for instance his point about Aleks' "relaxed" laziness being a pose not suited to his age. And I don't mind the name-dropping at all, it is part of what he was hired for and let's face it, it's interesting to hear little snippets about Elvis and Janis Joplin, I think.

Ehyeh

Ehyeh

Video Archivist

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 2:51 PM

I am very pleased with the result for both teams. I was dreading that Aleks would make it through to the public vote. I was kind of half-expecting that Danny would choose someone other than Max after he already saved him in the first live show. I would have been okay if he picked David too but I'm quite glad Danny stuck with Max as the latter is a more dynamic performer. The way I see it, he would have easily saved Bo if Bo didn't make it through the public vote.

Danny is so cheesy but I like his enthusiasm. Now if he can only pick better songs next week to highlight the strengths of his duo.

Also like Vince and Becky so I'm glad they got through especially Becky haha.

I'm hoping that one of these guys could trump over the pimped ones in Will and Tom's teams (Jaz and Ruth respectively).

O2Sean

O2Sean

Stalker

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 10:50 PM

I am very pleased with the result for both teams. I was dreading that Aleks would make it through to the public vote. I was kind of half-expecting that Danny would choose someone other than Max after he already saved him in the first live show. I would have been okay if he picked David too but I'm quite glad Danny stuck with Max as the latter is a more dynamic performer. The way I see it, he would have easily saved Bo if Bo didn't make it through the public vote.

I think the expectation was that Aleks would top the vote and then Bo would go through. If Aleks had not had a mini-meltdown yesterday I think that would have happened - literally all it would have taken was his just being more accepting of criticism and answering questions. It's too bad "___ is only 17!" became such a joke with reality shows because in this case it probably is true with Aleks.

I liked David a lot but of the two I think Max was probably the better choice. Max seemed so shocked that he went through.

I'm hoping that one of these guys could trump over the pimped ones in Will and Tom's teams (Jaz and Ruth respectively).

I'd settle for them beating Tyler, unlikely as it is. I'm bored with Will using Tyler to put down other singers, particularly since Tyler mostly just stumbles around the stage half-dead, shrieking a questionable falsetto and throwing his hands around like he's on invisible strings.

I guess those budget cuts hit Holly the hardest, as it looked like she'd done her own hair and makeup five minutes before taping and was wearing a dress which never should have made it out of a 1995 video.

I think Jessie J is a weak coach but I was pleased at how genuinely supportive she seemed of everyone in her group, especially after last week when I felt like Joelle and Frances were given the hook. I just wish that the contestants didn't have to speak in such messianic tones about their mentors - I kept waiting for Max or Toni to produce a dead goat.

That background in the V room was do disorienting. I thought they were traveling in time.

I read some talk about how Leanne had slayed Ruth in their duet, but I mostly just thought Leanne was doing the same emotionless vocal acrobatics by numbers she always does. I do think Ruth is overrated but I'd much rather listen to her sing.

whammo

whammo

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 2:27 AM

Dear British Public: Vince? Really? I don't get it, but, obviously, your mileage varies.

Did Becky let a curse word fly again when she was waiting onstage for the decision? Yesterday's f-bomb was priceless. Would rather have seen Becky and Toni go through.

Danny put the right people through. David and Aleks are both excellent in their own way, but Max is, for me, the most talented musician and the most entertaining. Aleks is just a kid, but he needs to grow a skin and speak in full sentences if he really wants a career.

I almost skipped Jaz and Tyler's duet, as both have annoyed me at various times. Glad I didn't. Best group performance of the series.

OTOH, Leanne and Ruth were a train wreck. Very disappointing, b/c I'd really like to see both of them do well.

O2Sean

O2Sean

Stalker

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 2:33 AM

Dear British Public: Vince? Really? I don't get it, but, obviously, your mileage varies.

There wasn't a lot of competition - Cassius and Toni both seemed to have limited support, and Becky is so volatile. Vince has been so hyped from the start, treated with kid gloves, along with Bo/Tyler/Jaz/Ruth.

So what exactly is Paloma Faith's career? I know she was on the show early on and complained, but clearly she was important enough to come back. The performance seemed like Belinda Carlisle mixed with Bette Midler. I think my favorite part was the glitter raining down, basically declaring herself the winner. I guess she has as much faith in this show to make a star as I do.

Edited by O2Sean, May 21, 2012 @ 2:33 AM.

O2Sean

O2Sean

Stalker

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 4:20 PM

Song spoilers.

Spoiler

Knots Landing

Knots Landing

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2012 @ 2:39 AM

That's a bad song choice for Vince, who so far has had pretty interesting choices of songs. Good song for Becky and the rest seem very blah or downright terrible.

Occasional Hope

Occasional Hope

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2012 @ 1:40 PM

Ruth was horribly shouty.

Leanne = Hollie Cavanagh + 10 years (and about 3 stone)

I quite liked Becky this week.

Vince was a total trainwreck - breathing, pitch, stage presence, everything.

O2Sean

O2Sean

Stalker

Posted May 26, 2012 @ 4:18 PM

Just skipping the judges this week.

Vince was a total trainwreck - breathing, pitch, stage presence, everything.

For all the attention-seeking in his performances, he seems to have little stage presence. I cringe every time he needs to point at his head or eye while he's singing. I'd hate to see how he'd perform to I Touch Myself.

Slurred and weird gutteral singing aside, I thought this was his best performance. Maybe I was just relieved he wore less ugly colors (for "Back to Black" - there's that literal genius again!).

Not very subtle with Bo, giving her confetti. I guess she's the winner of Paloma Faith's Best Friend. Why were all those people around her - to try to understand what she was saying? It seemed like they were trying to work around her actual performance (the same performance she gives every single week), between the confetti, and the stupid glowing in the dark (how literal is this show now anyway). Her main contribution seemed to be spinning around, which was unfair of Danny to make her do since she has serious back problems. Is she Wonder Cranberry?

I also wonder if this is the best economic climate to talk about how she suffers because she's rich. Maybe she should have sung this. Then again that may be best suited to Becky.

Ruth was horribly shouty.

She's not suited to be a belter and I wish they would not give her those songs. It just becomes shrieking and wailing. I'd much rather see some funk or some jazz from her.

Jaz - Boring, and also singing strangely low. His voice is extremely unpleasant to the ear when he starts shouting, so it was the worst of both worlds. They must have brought the choir to drown him out. The only part I liked was a little of the end.

I quite liked Becky this week.

I liked some of the performance, loved some of it, but I felt like she was struggling with the song. I know you can't rock out every week but I wish they'd found another low-tempo song she could have lost herself in.

Leanne - Another week of colorless singing. The "I wanna run to you" sections had some genuine emotion in them, which was a nice surprise, but she lost her way once the tempo kicked off, and it just became screaming. I know there's this big movement to talk about how awful Ruth is and how she is the true winner, but she just doesn't do a lot for me.

Max - Not good at all. Bad arrangement, overrated, overplayed song, and no real power in his verses.

I'm so tired of people pointing their fingers and waving their arms around. Danny, Tyler, Vince, on and on. Even with Becky, I just wanted someone to tie her arms up. I guess that's a whole different show.

I've seen speculation that Will sabotaged Tyler, which wouldn't be a huge surprise, but much of the performance was every Tyler performance - staggering around, forcing out a falsetto, heavy, ragged breathing, throwing his arms around like he's on strings, and making faces like someone put a fish hook in his mouth. The only difference I could see was he was even whinier than normal and someone decided to have a good laugh by bringing in other Jedward impersonators to wear ill-fitting suits which make men look like Ken dolls from the waist down.

Edited by O2Sean, May 26, 2012 @ 4:47 PM.