The Voice UK

• Please log in to reply

120 replies to this topic

Ehyeh

Ehyeh

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 7:05 PM

Early spoilers suggest that of the apparent front runners

Yeah I'm aware of those spoilers and I'm very curious as to how the UK audience will react to that.

I must say I'm really glad the blind audition rounds are over. The thing with having only decent-to-good singers auditioning is that they all start to blur together. I can only remember about four of them out of the 40. With Idol/X Factor, because there are so many joke candidates, the good ones easily stand out.

I actually think that it is refreshing that there are no joke candidates in this franchise that are obviously played for laughs like in the other shows. As long as the franchise doesn't go beyond 4 episodes of blind auditions, I think it's okay.

I heard that the US version boosted the careers of the judges more than the acts and I can see this, because all the focus here has been on the judges, partly because there's no one else to sort of cling to so far.

That has been kind of the nature of the franchise not just in UK or US but in other countries as well. It's about the coaches as much as it's about the contestants. I don't have a big problem with that as long as it doesn't get lopsided and as long as I'm still entertained. The Voice of Ireland was a chore to watch not necessarily because of the acts but because the coaches are so boring and they don't have a good rapport with each other. I was more entertained watching clips from the Netherlands and the French franchises even if I don't understand the language.

Not sure about the battle rounds. It could end up very shrieky and noisy, I imagine, not sure I want to hear two people singing the same song yet not duetting. Will give it a try.

The battle rounds has always been the most controversial segment of the show if the other franchises (especially US) are any indication. They will still be essentially duetting, they take turns singing the phrases, then sing together, take turns again and so forth. As a listener, I would prefer that the performer strike a balance between knowing when to blend with his partner and when to let it all out on a duet.

One of the controversial parts of this round is who are being matched up. Even more controversial are the coaches' choices which may not necessarily be in tune with what you'll expect or who actually did better in that round. There will always be some strong reactions to this segment of the show. I'm actually looking forward to that.

Knots Landing

Knots Landing

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 1:58 AM

The Battle Rounds were the only thing I enjoyed about the US version. I can't wait to see what happens here, but I think Danny and Tom will struggle. Danny has no backbone and depends on the opinion of others to make a decision, so I can't see him making strong decisions. He'll probably go on what the other judges say. Tom is a total airhead and is almost worse than Danny in terms of making a decision. I'm kinda worried because Denise from Five Star is on his team. I'm a big Five Star fan and she's literally the only person I care about on his team. If she can't make a Top 5 with those rejects I will scream.

Will.I.Am is the most adorable person on earth. He has a smile that just lights up my TV screen and he has a strong presence. I love how even when he was snarking on Danny copying him, he did it in a way that was light and not mean spirited. I personally would've been pissed (and he very well may be), but he handled it the right way. He was a unique choice, but looking at it now, a smart one. He may not be the best singer, but if the focus is just "the voice," then lots of strong voices need good producers and writers behind them. I don't think you have to be a powerhouse singer to make sense on this show.

Knots Landing

Knots Landing

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 4:27 AM

Okay it looks like I was right--Tom is an idiot. In general his comments about other contestants lack conviction and he blew it with Deniece vs Ruth. I know I go in this bias as a Five Star fan, but she was so much better in that battle. Ruth has poor musicality and I wish someone had called her on it so she could at least work with it. She always sounds like she's a few seconds off the beat, both the blind audition and this new performance. That is something that could easily be worked on in training, yet nobody mentions it. Yes she hit big notes, but it wasn't to the beat. She could've been singing anything. I also HATE that she went for the sob story, especially in front of Tom with the dead dad and how much that song meant to her. Sob stories are an instant turn off.

I also think it was a bad decision to pair those two singers against each other. Sam and Aundrea I both found to be weak with no chance of winning, so why not pair them with Deniece and Ruth so you have two better vocalists in your final team? Another match up that was odd was Vince Kidd and Jessica. For the sheer fact that they're both frontrunners is reason enough not to pair them, also it made no sense. Their vocal styles were far too different and Jessica had no hope with that song.

Unpopular opinion probably, but I thought Max should've won over Bill, so I was happy with that result. Heshima's attitude disappointed me, but in general I preferred Tyler so that was easy. Jay and Jaz were both good, but I preferred Jay. Again, you have a silly sob story that turned me off Jaz and I liked Jay's general. With Toni and Kristen, I really didn't care for either and I didn't like how Toni was styled. It aged her and didn't compliment her looks.

A battle I thought was absolutely perfect and a good example of what this can do is Jenny Jones vs Joelle. Wow. Both singers are different, but compliment each other well and they SANG without oversinging. It was a good song choice and a good match up. I came in rooting for Jenny, but came out happy with either going through. That was a good start to the show!

Ehyeh

Ehyeh

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 7:17 AM

Unpopular opinion probably, but I thought Max should've won over Bill, so I was happy with that result.

but was that really an unpopular opinion though? or were some just a little more vocal in rooting for the underdog?

from the battle rounds in this episode, i think i liked Max vs Bill battle the most, mostly for the contemporary song choice and i think the two did well overall

it wasn't without its faults though as i think there were times Max got a little too aggressive with his vocals while Bill got a little too soft considering the desperation of the lyrics in that song

i do agree with Danny's decision to put Max through because i think he has better potential with his more distinct raspy voice and stage presence. Bill's sound is pleasant but more generic. plus Danny now has his WGWG (LOL) who he can probably sell easily if he knows how to play the game.

Max singing Loving You by Paulo Nutini: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=3Vvc9OzRnAc

Edited by Ehyeh, Apr 22, 2012 @ 7:27 AM.

NotPatrick

NotPatrick

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 7:36 AM

I preferred Max to Bill, just because his voice is far more interesting (if almost as affected as Bo's), but I thought Joelle vs Jenny sounded like two cats fighting, so I don't know how representative my opinion was generally. It still wasn't as bad as Tyler vs Heshima, although I blame the song choice for that.

I thought in every single case, regardless of how they sang, the mentors went for the person who was more "unique" and would stand out more in the Live Shows, and they weren't even subtle about it. The worst was Tom putting through Samuel over Aundrea when she sang him clean off the stage, and he was doing "hello! My name is Mr Burns!" voice for half of it. (And I though Aundrea was probably one of the weakest auditions of those they put through)

I'm trying not to judge people for the pimping of the tragic back-stories, if only because they always neatly coincided with who went through, and I'm sure if the other person had been the victor something would have been dug out the back of the sofa for them and spread around liberally.

Edited by NotPatrick, Apr 22, 2012 @ 7:37 AM.

Ehyeh

Ehyeh

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 7:50 AM

Sam Buttery made me LOL. It was bad but it was entertaining.

Yeah that Tyler vs Heshima was the worst battle. I also didn't really like Ruth's battle, it was just noise towards the end.

Edited by Ehyeh, Apr 22, 2012 @ 7:53 AM.

NIccibee

NIccibee

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 5:22 AM

Will.I.Am is the most adorable person on earth. He has a smile that just lights up my TV screen and he has a strong presence.

I totally agree. I didn't really know him before, being horribly out of touch with modern music (90's ROOOOL) so I just thought he was the nifty dresser who hung out with Cheryl Cole. But he's so charming and well, just plain nice. I adore him. And I love how Jaz Ellington makes him grin like a schoolboy.

Edited by NIccibee, Apr 23, 2012 @ 7:38 AM.

QueenL

QueenL

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 5:34 AM

I like this show, and I love the judges, but one thing I don't like is all of the focus on the families backstage, while the singing is going on. The US show does this too, but the UK show does it even more.

I'm thinking specifically of the Opera dude who did "I Who Have Nothing." They cut to the family going "come on, come on, turn around, turn around" during a huge part of the song, where the guy was really opening up and showing his range. It was so stupid and annoying.

Promethea Again

Promethea Again

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 5:47 AM

I wonder who Murray Hockeridge pissed off backstage, because they skipped his full first audition and then shuffled him out of the way as quickly as possible. Didn't really get to hear enough of him to judge but I'm disgruntled on his behalf because his dad was my mum's favourite singer of all time (Edmund Hockeridge - no, no one else has ever heard of him, he's an old Howard Keel type guy she used to follow around in the 60s - she wasn't very cool back then). Also Kids was and is a shit song.

I'm warming to Tom Jones. He looks so confused all the time, like he's gone a bit deaf and isn't sure what's going on but is just nodding politely.

I do like that they've got oddballs like the hippy couple who Simon Cowell would have buzzed off within a second and what seems like half a dozen large middle-aged lady belters. The younger, popsier contestants do blur together a bit though. Apart from Sam, who I agree is bloody awful. Closest thing this show has to a novelty X Factor style contestant. I forget if he was that bad on his audition, he can't have been.

I loved young Ruth. I know she missed a few notes but there was a lot of passion and feeling in her voice, it reminded me of old blues singers like a young Etta James. Deniece was too affected and Michael Jackson-y which was always Five Star's problem. Plus the plastic surgery is offputting.

Heatherbelle

Heatherbelle

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 2:18 PM

They were rattling through some of the rounds last night.
Please don't tell me I was the only one that cheered with Indie and Pixie were unceremoniously ditched?

Pair of spoilt brats who also came across as rather bullying(and Jessie J's side comment to the other judges about how they would not shut up cracked me up)

Occasional Hope

Occasional Hope

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 6:12 PM

Predictions for the bottom twos this week:

Team Will - Sophie, who was awful, and Joelle, who was very good, but had the misfortune to perform first and be th kind of act who historicaly doesn't pull in TV votes. Hopefully Sophie will get the chop. I thought Tyler was overrated, and tbh (if unkind) I worry about the mental stability of someone who was a close friend of Amy Winehouse. Jaz was good.

Team Tom: Sam takes the genuinely bad spot. Adam was the next worst imo, but he is male and not bad looking, so that's him safe. Leanne was the best of the night imo, but I'm concerned she will seem "old fashioned" to the general audience; the same problem applies to Matt and Sueleen, who I thought were interesting but will be likely to make the bottom two. I'm not sure who Tom will send home; he seems to have a bizarre and irrational soft spot for Sam, who ought to go.

NotPatrick

NotPatrick

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 6:43 AM

I thought Team William were all slightly better than I was expecting, and Team Tom all slightly worse. And I wasn't expecting much from either team in the first place. I wish they'd launched the first live show with at least one of the other teams, because the number of performances I thought were trainwrecks (Adam, Leanne, Mooleen, Sam, Frances (mostly for the styling), a lot of Sophie) was just too high.

Why do they ever let Mooleen sing on their own? Why? Why? There were parts when they were together when they sounded fine, but alone? Yeesh. The worst thing is that we seem to share a taste in music, so every song choice I think "YAY! SOMEBODY'S DOING SPRINGSTEEN/FLEETWOOD MAC/THE BEAUTIFUL SOUTH" and then I remember it's Mooleen. Adam was clearly off his face on painkillers, Leanne was sabotaged by that arrangement and Sam is just crap. I was expecting to be wowed by Ruth, and clearly it went down well in the room, but she just seemed to be biding her time until she busted out the (impressive) tricks at the end. I liked it, but maybe that song's just been ruined by how we always used to sing "I don't care how you get head, get head if you can" in the LGBT bar at University.

So glad that Tyler James managed to do well. He's not my favourite, but I definitely wish him well given that he seems...fragile. I would be surprised if Joelle wasn't in the Bottom Two but I probably liked her best on the night, which is odd because she was probably my least favourite of Team Tom coming in. Sophie felt like a creditable school assembly performance, and should have been backed by some of year 10 doing cheerleader dancing, but it wasn't really The Voice. Jaz was very good but he doesn't inspire me. Frances telling everyone that William wasn't just a rapper, but a producer, songwriter...and he can even SING! was my non-musical highlight of the night.

One day they will accidentally let a crap comment through on that twitter wall. I live in hope.

O2Sean

O2Sean

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 7:45 AM

Why do they ever let Mooleen sing on their own? Why? Why? There were parts when they were together when they sounded fine, but alone? Yeesh.

It's like he was kicked out of Pearl Jam and she was kicked out of Waiting for Guffman, and they decided to form a duo.

I was expecting to be wowed by Ruth, and clearly it went down well in the room, but she just seemed to be biding her time until she busted out the (impressive) tricks at the end. I liked it, but maybe that song's just been ruined by how we always used to sing "I don't care how you get head, get head if you can" in the LGBT bar at University.

Justin Guarini probably ruined the song for me, but I thought her diction was terrible. I also thought she was out of time with the song.

I think the performance I hated most was Jaz. All I heard was wailing, runs, trills, and no attempt at building a song. He could have been singing "Happy Birthday" for all I knew. He ruined the song. It reminded me of what I hate about music now. I don't think I would have noticed as much with Joelle if that wasn't one of my favorite songs. She started the histrionics early on and lost all the build.

I like "Higher Love" so hearing Tyler's wobbly falsetto and nothing else wasn't a great experience, but he improved as the song went along.

Frances (mostly for the styling)

Do you mean her look, or the perpetual threat of a gangbang from extras in the "Beat It" video?

At times I felt like she did a good job and at other times she put the BAA in Ain't Nobody.

I actually felt the same way about Sam. The early part of his song, anyway. Then he just got lost and was wildly out of...everything. I feel sorry for him for being put in that shirt which had a, "He's not fat, not at all" sign on the back; I wish they'd done more about his Roy Orbison 1963 "style." Instead someone got confused and gave him the Ray Charles uh-huh girls.

Did Tom Jones pick one good song? I think the worst song choice was for poor Leanne. I hate the whole, "You can't sing this, so let's show how awesome it is that you're trying!" mentality.

Edited by O2Sean, Apr 29, 2012 @ 7:53 AM.

qurtalain

qurtalain

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 8:37 AM

I was a bit underwhelmed by this first live show. As already noted in this thread, there were more trainwrecks than one would hope for on an opening live show. I thought the song choices were interesting though.

The Foo Fighters song got massacred by that guy Adam. The backdrop and band were so high energy and Adam's vocals sat at the centre of it all sucking all the life out of it. He looked and sounded nervous while his jaw was set in stone.

I love a male falsetto and if I close my eyes, Tyler James' rendition of 'Higher Love' was rather sexy. It looks like his friend-of-Amy-Winehouse lifestyle has taken its toll on him though. I hope that while he's on show, Will.I.Am makes sure he gets three square meals a day. He's got potential and was my favourite of the night.

Sophie got swallowed up by her song. She's getting criticism online for being the girl who knocked out J Marie which I think is unfair and Will.I.Am should have given her a song that didn't show up her flaws. The best part of the song is bellowing at the top of your lungs 'TITAAAAAAANIIIIIIIIUUUUUUUUUUUUUUM!' but her voice didn't have the power to belt it out. Leanne also had her flaws exposed with the Pink song which needed to be sung with a sense of urgency which it didn't have. Jaz was kinda boring performance-wise even if his vocals are fine. I loved that danny called him MOR, heh.

O2Sean

O2Sean

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 9:06 AM

Leanne also had her flaws exposed with the Pink song which needed to be sung with a sense of urgency which it didn't have

I just couldn't figure out what was supposed to be done with the song. She's not that type of singer, and wasn't cast for that type of song, so she probably would have been a disaster. It didn't help that she was dressed like she was waiting to be spread on a toothbrush.

The styling was very sloppy. Tom Jones' suit matched his hair. When Jaz was doing all his runs, the camera had a large closeup to show everyone how badly fitted his trousers were. Poor Ruth looked like Cyndi Lauper's castoff. Tyler was given some strange one-piece (or was that just jeans given two colors for no apparent reason?) which I last saw in a Legion of Superheroes comic from 1975, and which apparently had a vendetta against his ass and crotch.

Promethea Again

Promethea Again

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 10:38 AM

I don't know if it was the painkillers or what, but Adam really screwed up the chorus (both times) - and it's not a very good song, the chorus is all it's got going for it, but you have to commit to it as much as Dave Grohl does and then the crowd get behind it, it can work. And oh my god, I thought he'd never shut up after, nervously babbling on to the judges. Holly Willowbooby wasn't keeping any of the contestant/judge chats in line at all, I bet this show regularly overruns in future.

Frances' camp hoody pals dominated that performance for me, I couldn't stop laughing. It was all very X Factor, somehow.

Ruth (dressed like she was in a panto) and Jazz were good, I guess, on incredibly dull songs. At least Danny pointed out that Jazz wasn't really going to go anywhere doing nicely sung cabaret, even if he was desperate to not make it sound like a criticism (I still quite fancy Danny, but feel guilty about it, so am looking for reasons to respect him - sad).

I think they were trying to make Leanne look (and sound) like Adele. A reasonable tactic, I suppose, but again, not going anywhere. I actually love that song and the energy Pink brings to it - the frustration and disappointment manifesting as betrayal, but anger at herself rather than the ex - was totally lacking.

Totally agreed, qurtalain, that Titaaaaaaannnniiiiiiiiium was lost on Sophie. Same principle as Adam, really: bellowing the chorus is the whole point, you need to commit to it.

Someone on the Guardian site christened the duo Gandalf and Dobby (from Peep Show) and now I can't think of them as anything else. I thought it was quite fun that their video was all about them being kind of bored and annoyed with each other, rather than a sickly sweet 'we're so in love!' angle that American Idol would have done - it just seemed very British: "yeah, we're a singing couple, but don't think we like each other or anything." Obviously it was for effect, I'm sure they're fine together. I too love that Fleetwood Mac song and they could have sung it well if they'd just kept to the same arrangement (or even the one Glee used recently) - the weird changes to the song ruined it.

Tom Jones looked like a ghost! Or Elijah Snow from Planetary. Now I understand why he gets those fake tans.But Jessie's hair was MUCH improved. She looked really pretty. Will is a weird little chap, isn't he? Endearing but tiring, I suspect. It didn't exactly make sense but I think I kind of got what he was on about with this backstage pep talk he kept referring to. I think he was trying to undercut all the "it's my dream I'll die if it doesn't work oh please please desperation" that a lot of the talent shows give off, but there's a lot less of that here simply because they're nearly all working professionals.

Which I did like, initially, because it meant hardly any really awful performances (not sure how Sam slipped through though). But it does make it hard to take seriously people like Tyler, who's had loads of attention in the past, top 20 singles, an album, big festival appearances etc. The only reason his career derailed was addiction, he could make a comeback on his own.

What is the point of the backstage chats, other than to give Reggie/Holly something to do on alternate weeks?

Heatherbelle

Heatherbelle

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 1:06 PM

I too love that Fleetwood Mac song and they could have sung it well if they'd just kept to the same arrangement (or even the one Glee used recently) - the weird changes to the song ruined it.

Funnily enough, I said much the same thing (and I know it's a singing show, but it seems wrong not to have the guitar riffs in there - which I loved the take on in Glee...)

I'm not a huge fan of the pair anyway, and she's worse than him I reckon.

The Foo Fighters song got massacred by that guy Adam. The backdrop and band were so high energy and Adam's vocals sat at the centre of it all sucking all the life out of it. He looked and sounded nervous while his jaw was set in stone.

I do wonder how much of that was because he was obviously doped up on painkillers and presumably not wanting to jar his arm?

Promethea Again

Promethea Again

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 3:22 PM

Phew - both coaches made the right decision. But the show ends in a weird way - kinda depressing to watch two people cry and then, woomf, end. I kind of miss the sing-off, although sometimes that ends up with someone you hated performing again so I see why they scrapped it.

qurtalain

qurtalain

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 4:49 PM

I do wonder how much of that was because he was obviously doped up on painkillers and presumably not wanting to jar his arm?

Yeah, that does make sense. I'll give a him a pass for that ;)

I didn't spoil myself for the results but the bottom two for both teams was predictable. I think the right people went. I loved how Holly was trying to build up the tension for results only to be undercut by Jessie's comments that it wasn't really an 'my life is over' situation but a beginning of an opportunity.

But it does make it hard to take seriously people like Tyler, who's had loads of attention in the past, top 20 singles, an album, big festival appearances etc. The only reason his career derailed was addiction, he could make a comeback on his own.

I thought his name rang a bell and I see on youtube he had a single out and supported McFly on tour. I find it really sad that his addiction took over his career like that. I hope he makes the best of this opportunity.

Occasional Hope

Occasional Hope

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 4:57 PM

I kind of miss the sing-off, although sometimes that ends up with someone you hated performing again so I see why they scrapped it.

I was kind of expecting another battle-type singoff on the same song. But I suppose they wouldn't have time to rehearse something like that seeing it was obviously filmed the same night.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 3:30 AM

Since these were live shows, why were the Coaches dressed the same both nights?

Not that that look didn't totally work for Jessie, it did.

Heatherbelle

Heatherbelle

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 4:14 AM

Since these were live shows, why were the Coaches dressed the same both nights?

The first show was live, pretty sure the results show was not - filmed on saturday I would think (much like SCD)

Knots Landing

Knots Landing

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 11:54 AM

That was a weird live show lol. Team Tom is very weak and I thought the song choices for both teams were pretty bad. Sophie wasn't the greatest, but I do feel that song completely sunk her. She was done the moment that terrible song was chosen. Sam Buttery was just dreadful from day one and it makes me sad seeing him on Team Tom and someone like Deniece got the boot.

Joelle is overrated to me and so is Jaz, although the latter I find has potential. With Joelle they need to give her a new weave. The current one looks too cheap considering she's on the live shows.

O2Sean

O2Sean

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 2:43 AM

Between that top knot and the clown lipstick Jessie J seems to find ways to make herself look as gruesome as she can. To sound like an 80 year old grandmother from long ago, there's a very pretty young lady somewhere in there. After the blathering over "Have you ever imagined yourself in a song from a movie? No? Of course you have! Anyway, back to me..." I don't think I will be listening to her judge comments again.

Danny seemed to really care about the contestants and as a result he was much less annoying than he has been in other weeks.

Max - He comes across as both arrogant and in awe, sometimes simultaneously. I feel like that oh-so-anxious type of pop rock went out a long time ago but I enjoyed him more than I had expected to. I'm glad to know that the bizarre guitar-as-drum wasn't intentional.

Becky - I hadn't heard that "good luck" song in years so it was nice to hear it on a major show. Her performance was mixed, as sometimes she just seemed completely lifeless and amateurish, and other times she had some twisted emotion. The little rehearsal package with Jessie J was terrifying - they both seemed unhinged. I'm glad Will.i.am brought up the cord. I don't get that.

Kelly Osbourne With Pit Stains - Was he singing a song? I didn't hear one. Just a lot of vocal masturbating, ugly to watch, almost as ugly as his pleather trousers. He may have a good voice but he doesn't know how to showcase it at all.

Toni - Was she modeling her own lingerie line? Nice to have something to fall back on I guess. At first I was into it. After a decent start, she was another who seemed to let the song roll right over her. Mushmouth and randomly screamed lyrics, shrill to the ear, mixed in with wails. By the end I thought she'd given birth. I miss Trenyce.

Bo Bruce Not Bice - Someone I see as a Cranberries reject/pretentious twit is given one of my favorite songs from the goddess Kate Bush. That's a recipe for me to hate hate hate. As it turns out, I didn't hate this (that strange music which sounded like the American Idol results show tune, and the weird braid glued on her head are another story), although I can't say I was in tears or overwhelmed. She rushed through all the emotions of song and it ended up sounding a little like someone belching out artistically. But it had a few nice moments, and I think Danny did a good job with her limited range.

Hannah - Not too crazy about this. It made her look like a huge poser. Her lipstick was a mistake. I wish they'd asked her not to overenunciate so sharply. I also wish she hadn't done that "dancing" which I mostly associate with bowel movements.

David - I hate falsetto and I hate his Debarge hair, so that's not a good start. But I didn't dislike this as much as I thought I might. By the end I sort of liked it. He has a very odd singing style and I'd really like to hear him with something different for a better test.

Cassius - I don't know this song so I have no idea what he was singing or how it was supposed to sound. I won't remember this tomorrow. I don't right now, actually.

Ruth Ann - I had to laugh when Jessie said that thanks to her Ruth had learned to sing in tune! Not for long, apparently. I'm not quite sure why she wearing a pants suit I am pretty sure I last saw on an episode of "That's My Boy," or why she ended her song showing us her ass. It seemed to go wild about halfway through and never recovered.

Aleks - I guess there always has to be one quasi-Buble. Danny played it very safe with Aleks, who still seemed to have no idea where he was half of the time. Still, he did a serviceable job and with more time and training I actually don't think he would be too bad in this genre.

Edited by O2Sean, May 6, 2012 @ 2:49 AM.

qurtalain

qurtalain

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 9:55 AM

I thought this live show was better than the last week but not by much. To kick things off, I thought Toni's singing was so shrill! Oh my days, that was not pleasant on my ears. She tends to overdo her facial expressions - perhaps it's a pub singer habit or something but I find it a wee bit offputting.

I don't like Bo Bruce. I remember when she was on Orange Unsigned (a channel four talent show with 'indie' cred) and she had a sour attitude and got into strop with Lauren Laverne. I thought her rendition of Kate Bush was okay but it lacked emotion. I teared up watching the VT though.

Ruth-Ann the girl with pitch problems proved Will.I.Am right. She was pitchy and flat out awful in places. Adele does a lovely slowed down version of 'Promise This'. It doesn't need warbling all over it to make it better or unique. Sometimes, singing a song 'straight' can be just as entertaining.

I don't think Vince lived up to his audition.

I liked Max. I didn't like him previously but he gave a good performance of a song I don't know. I also liked David Julien. I think he's got potential and I feel like there's more to come from him. I like the tone of his voice. I wish he would stop spinning around the stage though! Danny needs to teach him some moves.

NotPatrick

NotPatrick

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 12:08 PM

I thought what was quite interesting, and probably why Danny seems to be the best mentor, is that he made a lot of those songs much easier for his artists to sing, via the arrangements (or they did, I don't know what the division of labour is). Both Max and Bo dumbed their songs down a bit, and they sounded much better as a result. They were probably my two favourite performances of the night, although I also liked James once they got him out of that falsetto that he couldn't really do. I thought Jessie J was right about Hannah - she sang it well, but she got eaten up by the performance. Although it wasn't the dancers that bothered me so much as the constant Rude Girl faces and the vagina-stretch dancing. It didn't feel organic at all. Actually it was EXACTLY like all those times on X Factor that they take a pretty girl and make her try to be a "Rock Chick". Which is usually followed by them going home. I had a violent physical reaction to Aleks' performance, in that I loathed it and am now convinced he's going to win. For all of Danny's wanking on about artistry (and my God he does go on about it), his best hope is a 17 year old lifeguard with none, dribbling his way through Rat-Pack songs with a swollen tongue, getting by on his looks and the genre he's been shoved into.

Jessie J was alright, I guess. Toni shouldn't have been allowed to do all that shit she wanted to do with the song (ie, turn it into the Alvin & The Chipmunks remix) and I hope Jessie J puts the reins on her in future. Ruth-Ann is probably the most pointless reality tv contestant I've ever seen. Vince is out of control in the same way that Toni is, but I found the whole thing kind of endering (if utterly unpleasant to watch and listen to). Becky's always been someone I loved more for her attitude than her voice, and she certainly provided by pulling all those faces about that stupid giant strawberry bootlace Jessie landed her with. Cassius was fine, but when your voice is too thin to even match up to Chris Martin it's probably time to give up.

Overall, I'm quite sad that the level of talent is so low, and where it does exist, it's being allowed to run rampant and do stupid things. I guess that's the price they pay for the whole "creative control" thing they're pushing.

O2Sean

O2Sean

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 6:19 AM

I had a violent physical reaction to Aleks' performance, in that I loathed it and am now convinced he's going to win. For all of Danny's wanking on about artistry (and my God he does go on about it), his best hope is a 17 year old lifeguard with none, dribbling his way through Rat-Pack songs with a swollen tongue, getting by on his looks and the genre he's been shoved into.

What would you do in a Muleen/Aleks sudden death match?

I do think that the pseudo-Buble genre is a default genre for young, handsome and not overly talented men. For all the talk of The Voice not being like X-Factor, that's a straight-up Simon Cowell move (maybe they can have Leon Jackson mentor for Aleks).

Toni shouldn't have been allowed to do all that shit she wanted to do with the song (ie, turn it into the Alvin & The Chipmunks remix) and I hope Jessie J puts the reins on her in future.

To kick things off, I thought Toni's singing was so shrill! Oh my days, that was not pleasant on my ears. She tends to overdo her facial expressions - perhaps it's a pub singer habit or something but I find it a wee bit offputting.

Was it Jessie J who went on about pub singers?

I get the feeling that Toni is in love with her voice, even if it doesn't quite love her back. I do hear some talent in there, but I have no idea how that song got out of the starting gate. I also think that while it's groundbreaking to have her on a major TV show with the bald head, that they didn't account for how this might exaggerate her already offputting facial expressions. It was a little like a horror film.

Ruth-Ann the girl with pitch problems proved Will.I.Am right. She was pitchy and flat out awful in places. Adele does a lovely slowed down version of 'Promise This'. It doesn't need warbling all over it to make it better or unique. Sometimes, singing a song 'straight' can be just as entertaining.

Ruth-Ann is probably the most pointless reality tv contestant I've ever seen.

I just hope that if she goes soon then someone might help her out with more singing lessons, as I don't think Jessie J can help much there. I felt like Jessie J chose her solely as some type of noble gesture for viewers - look at this poor tone deaf girl I'm going to do my best with. There was something a little patronizing about it.

Ruth Ann is unhappy about...several things.

Of all her complaints I probably sympathize with the one about her outfit. At least now I know she was not wearing that horror on purpose.

Edited by O2Sean, May 6, 2012 @ 12:31 PM.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 12:37 PM

Ruth Ann is unhappy about...several things.

She can be totally correct about the editing leaving stuff out, while simultaneously being totally delusional about how piss poor her performance was, can't she?

I mean so the editors (to her ears) ended on negatives and they may have artificially introduced that sequencing? Normally with some surprise boot where someone talented went, I'd consider how those kind of editing shenanigans might have affected things. But NOT with a singer who was so clearly... deficient.

She sang badly because she didn't EAT? Oh come on. I'd buy it if it wasn't likely just as true of ALL the semi-finalists on that busy set.

O2Sean

O2Sean

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 2:13 PM

She can be totally correct about the editing leaving stuff out, while simultaneously being totally delusional about how piss poor her performance was, can't she?

Quite a few of the contestants seem unhappy about the editing. I do think they threw her to the lion's den by never showing her, although it sounds like what there was to show wasn't great. She was mostly sold as Jessie's pet project, not as someone on her own.

They've told us some stories about the contestants but so much focus is on the judges. I can't say I was enthused with any of the group songs (although Joelle sounded much better in her group song than she did on that Rose Royce tune the week before), but I was annoyed at how the judges kept stealing focus by dancing with each other or jumping on the chair.

Occasional Hope

Occasional Hope

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 5:14 PM

Quite interesting that we'll basically find out the top vote getter in each category this week.

I think it's pretty obvious that if Ruth doesn't win the public vote she'll be Tom Jones's pick for the next round. I suspect Adam could get through on the public vote, based on his gender rather than actual talent; if Ruth wins the vote, then I think Leanne will go through.

In Will's team, I think it's going to be Jaz and the overrated Tyler either way.

the group performances were interesting; Tom's team were his backing singrs, while Will.i.am let his singers take the lead (I just hated the arrangement).