13-13: 2012.03.27

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

89 replies to this topic

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 3:54 PM

Conda as a bride's maid?

Ewwww.

Does Megan really want a wedding party people throw rotten vegetables at instead of rice?

freezerburn

freezerburn

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 5:37 PM

I was so excited for a few seconds when I thought Mark might leave at take that rat's nest of a goatee home with him.

Gah... it's not every little girl's dream to wear a big, poofy white dress and get maaaaaaarrrrrieed!

LoneHaranguer

LoneHaranguer

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 5:43 PM

Has Jared gained weight since we last saw him plugging Subway? Must be those Chicken Teriyaki sandwiches. Even though it's on Subway's Low Fat menu, it has, by some margin, the highest calories, the same number as the Steak & Cheese on their regular menu.

Three Foot Six

Three Foot Six

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 7:51 PM

I disagree. You don't have to be a chef, but I think that learning how to cook healthy meals is very important to maintaining weight loss.

Then why am I thin? I can't boil water without setting curtains on fire and Conda the "healthy" chef could still snap me in half with a single swing of her massive elbow. "Can't cook" isn't synonymous with "doesn't know what's healthy to eat."

Camo

Camo

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 11:13 PM

I hate everrrrrrrybody. Except Chris. I agree with many that she can be far too morose or whiny, but she seems like a real person.

Antone, whoever the fuck he is (didn't watch his season), couldn't have scripted 'come across as a dumb, mean, arrogant hole' much better. Good lord. Chris struggles and has her issues, but I don't want to hear some self-satisfied person, who may or may not (who am I kidding? Not even 'may not' but 'in all reality-based likelihood, particularly given his apparent rigidity and immaturity, will not, cannot') have long-term success, berate her for no goddamned reason.

Megan is smoking copious amounts of crack (wait, she can't be, or she might have lost more than 2 pounds) if she thinks either her left or right side can get into a size 12 wedding gown. For many brands, a size 12 wedding gown is a size 6 or 8 in street sizes. Fucking liar. She's smug and honestly...doom, doom, doom. When I saw her bragging to Bob about using a bell pepper as sandwich bread, the extreme nature of that swap (not portion control, not Ezekiel bread) basically turned over the hourglass into 'regain.' She's likely to pull every extreme bullshit tactic to get as thin as possible for her wedding, but after that, doubtful.

Conda, whatever. She and Jeremy are total garbage, worthless in terms of character. Lying, whining, dissembling, bullying, stupidity-spewing stains. I hope Conda's makeover involves belting her undertits, so flattering. Same for Jeremy and the dark size of his pepperonis. Fucktards.

Mark's beard makes me hate him more. That beard screams "I wish I had the personal courage to be a Parrothead swinger, instead of pretending to follow the teachings of Christ." Dark-sided, dumb motherfucker.

Buddy, whatever. Durr.

I want to see all of them fail, except for Chris. Oh, I forgot about Kim. Which is strange, since her multi-folded bitchface has been seared into my consciousness forever and ever.

JLVerde

JLVerde

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 7:05 AM

"Can't cook" isn't synonymous with "doesn't know what's healthy to eat."

Thank you, Three Foot Six. I despise cooking (so tedious) yet I've managed to lose 40 lbs (so far).

Has there been a season where the contestants were banned from the kitchen (or given a bare minimum kitchen) so they could learn what convenience foods are healthy? That would be a fun twist.

Edited by JLVerde, Mar 29, 2012 @ 7:07 AM.

katje

katje

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 8:07 AM

Has there been a season where the contestants were banned from the kitchen (or given a bare minimum kitchen) so they could learn what convenience foods are healthy? That would be a fun twist.

Not for an entire season, but there have been challenges like this--maybe for a week, IIRC. They were given menus and had to have all of their meals in restaurants.

Edited by katje, Mar 29, 2012 @ 8:08 AM.

Arcadia

Arcadia

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 8:58 AM

Three Foot Six

"Can't cook" isn't synonymous with "doesn't know what's healthy to eat."

While this is true, this show is supposed to be educating the contestants on living a more healthy lifestyle. They are not on an "exercise show", they are on a weight loss show. Part of this experience is to learn as many tools as possible to help them lose weight.

Is exercise the only way to lose weight? - Nope. Several people, including me, can lose a ton of weight without exercise.
Is eating healthy the only way to lose weight? - Nope. You can lose weight just by exercising as well.
Do you have to know how to cook to lose weight? - Nope. But learning how to cook helps avoid processed food, snacks, and junk food that are known to cause people to gain weight.

Cooking itself is not needed to lose weight, just like exercise is not needed. It's the combination of an overall healthy lifestyle and education on all the tools to do so that is helpful.

I'm glad the show isn't just focused on exercise.

Edited by Arcadia, Mar 29, 2012 @ 9:00 AM.

sp23

sp23

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 9:18 AM

Then why am I thin? I can't boil water without setting curtains on fire and Conda the "healthy" chef could still snap me in half with a single swing of her massive elbow. "Can't cook" isn't synonymous with "doesn't know what's healthy to eat."

I was going to respond to this but Arcadia made all my points for me. For myself at least, cooking healthy food has aided me tremendously in my quest to lose 110 pounds. I'm about 3/4 of the way there, and avoiding convenience foods (even the 'healthy' ones like Weight Watchers & Healthy Choice) and cooking my own has given me not only tastier food but food at a much lower cost than picking up a low calorie frozen dinner, Subway, or restaurant eating ever could. No, you don't have to cook for yourself if it's something you totally despise and can afford the alternative, but it's a good tool to have. And cooking doesn't have to involve an elaborate menu. Heck, if a recipe has too many ingredients, I chuck it and find something simpler to fix because I can't be bothered slaving over a hot stove either.

ProfCrash

ProfCrash

Stalker

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 9:33 AM

There are some great cook books out there with recipies that are easy to make and low calorie. If Buddy had wanted to, he could have replaced the Mayo with Greek Yogurt. That is becoming a common replacement, it is healthier and actually tastes pretty good.

Crock pots can be great and you can cook healthy stuff in them.

That being said, I am lazy and my the food my husband loves to cook takes an hour or so to prepare (he makes Thai, Chinese, Japanese, and Korean from scratch) so he only cooks on the weekends. we have left overs for a few days that are really good but not enough to get through the week. I tend to eat a decent amount of soup (read the labels and find the good ones) and love my Healthy Choice with No Preservatives for lunch. Toss in a package of steamable veggies and I normally have a lunch that fills me up, is under 400 calories, has 2-3 servings of veggies, a serving or two of whole grain (starch and fiber), and I am good to go. For the most part, lunch costs me about $3. Not bad.

I wish that the food portion of the show actually focused more on the cooking element. "Lets cook a healthy meal using these five ingredients that takes less then 30 minutes" and would discuss substitution "We are using whole grain pasta because it is higher in fiber and protein and has fewer calories" or "Greek yogurt works well as a substitute for these ingredients (Mayo, sour cream) and adds protein and calcium to your dish" as opposed to shelling Subway and Soup. A few more trip to the grocery store to discuss healthy alternatives, more then just the favorite brand of turkey and Progresso Soup. "Find me lunches for an entire week that provide you with no more then 400 calories, X amount of veggies, X amount of fiber, and X amount of protein."

It would actually help people at home and be more informative of the normal shilling that they do.

But that might upset their sponsors and we can't have that.

Blue Stingray

Blue Stingray

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 10:06 AM

For me, learning to cook my own meals (and I'm not talking about anything gourmet) was a major factor in losing 60 lbs. Just by getting in the habit of making a pot of vegetable soup on the weekend and fresh tuna salad to take to work for lunch instead of a Lean Pocket, I ended up much more satisfied because my meals tasted better, and I didn't end up snacking all day to fill the void.

Plenty of people can lose weight by eating frozen meals, that's Jenny Craig's whole marketing hook. But a lot can't, and I do think teaching some basic skills in putting together a healthy meal is valuable. That said, making it a race with ridiculous time constraints was defeating the purpose, IMO. I mean, did Jeremy take anything away from that challenge? Methinks it is right back to frozen pizza for him, since he decided going in that he couldn't possibly do this, and with the limitations of the challenge he proved himself right.

cosmic1

cosmic1

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 11:15 AM

My first reaction was - huh, Conda has everyone on the Cabbage Soup diet? LOL.

The whole cooking thing really ticked me off. OMG, salt. OMG, fat. Really? I follow Low Carb/High Fat, so fat does not scare me, but for cryin' out loud, less than a tablespoon of mayo was used. I'd much rather have something made with real ingredients in a small quantity than chemical laden low fat crap. Our bodies cannot process stuff that is man-made and we'll probably see a lot of unintended consequences in the future as a result.

So, I had to laugh that Megan only lost 2 pounds since getting home. Either it was only a week later when they followed up on her, or she still cannot internally motivate herself to do the right thing.

So far, the karma for what the black team did to Daphne is in force. Now, we just need Conda to go home. I keep wishing for a redline that she falls below. She can take her brother with her while she is at it.

LoneHaranguer

LoneHaranguer

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 12:06 PM

I wish that the food portion of the show actually focused more on the cooking element. "Lets cook a healthy meal using these five ingredients that takes less then 30 minutes" and would discuss substitution

They should also have been focusing more on effort than overall time. I'd rather make something that takes an hour than twenty minutes if that's twenty minutes of fussing over it and the hour is ten minutes of easy prep and finish, with the remainder being the stove quietly doing its business without me.

sp23

sp23

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 12:21 PM

So, I had to laugh that Megan only lost 2 pounds since getting home. Either it was only a week later when they followed up on her, or she still cannot internally motivate herself to do the right thing.

If it was only a week later, it was a darned busy one what with her getting engaged, barrel racing her horse (which I would assume would require at least some practice), and trying on 'size 12' wedding gowns. LOL

tvgoddess

tvgoddess

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 1:26 PM

If Buddy had wanted to, he could have replaced the Mayo with Greek Yogurt.

I don't even cook, and that's what I was thinking he would have done. Of course, I think mayo is one of the grossest, most disgusting things on the planet. My boyfriend makes fun of me, because sometimes I really don't even like to be in the same room as it.

I didn't see Antone's season, but I had no problem with what he said at all. Chris is an annoying, passive-agressive whiner. At least when she's full on cray cray, she's slightly entertaining.

Conda and Jeremy, go fall off a cliff. Loved Bob's comments to her about needing to lose a lot more weight. Loved that she lost the cooking challenge even more.

How much longer do I need to see these people on my screen? Seriously, when is this show going to end? Whenever it is, it cannot be soon enough.

PumpkinSpice

PumpkinSpice

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 2:17 PM

I can't believe that this show is going to be on until May. Gah! I hate all these people, but I'll probably stick around till the end. Damn you Biggest Loser!

At this point I'm rooting for Chris to win. I don't like her, but it would be a sweet end to a horrible excuse-filled season. It would piss off everyone in the "evil alliance," since she's not one of them, and she would be a HORRIBLE spokesperson for the Biggest Loser franchise. Two birds with one stone. It would serve them right to have a sadsack anti-social winner after what they've put the viewers through this season. Plus, she and Santa really need the money, so it's a win-win-win in my book. Go Chris!

MsVixen

MsVixen

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 3:07 PM

At this point I'm rooting for Chris to win. I don't like her, but it would be a sweet end to a horrible excuse-filled season. It would piss off everyone in the "evil alliance," since she's not one of them, and she would be a HORRIBLE spokesperson for the Biggest Loser franchise. Two birds with one stone. It would serve them right to have a sadsack anti-social winner after what they've put the viewers through this season. Plus, she and Santa really need the money, so it's a win-win-win in my book. Go Chris!

The winner from last season, John (?), didn't seem to be any better than Chris as far as social skills go. I haven't seen him doing any spokesperson things, have you? I bet you that the show is hoping that anybody but Chris wins.

Blue Stingray

Blue Stingray

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 3:19 PM

I'm having a hard time imagining what will happen if Conda or Jeremy wins. And not just because I'm in denial because I can't bear the thought of either of them getting the money. They've both lost weight, but neither of them is in great shape yet. They've got almost two months, but at the rate they're going I can't see either of them really slimming down by then. Everyone else still on the ranch looks like they need to lose another 10-15 lbs tops - the terrible two are both still pretty big. I'd think TBL wants someone really buff taking the title. I haven't watched more than a couple of seasons, but all the past winners I can recall looked slender and toned by the finale.

bigskygirl

bigskygirl

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 3:51 PM

The season finale will be on May 22nd. I bet the walk off will be in May.

The 4/03 and 4/10 episodes will be the makeovers and White House visit.

Two weeks of kissing up to Obama aka NBC style.

Edited by bigskygirl, Mar 29, 2012 @ 3:54 PM.

Helenwheels

Helenwheels

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 4:32 PM

As for; "Gah... it's not every little girl's dream to wear a big, poofy white dress and get maaaaaaarrrrrieed! "
Thank you freezer burn. I HATE when women so that. No, not EVERYONE dreams of that.

Also, I doubt I will ever eat pepperoni pizza again after seeing Titzes picture of when he first got on the show!

Cheapseats

Cheapseats

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:TV of course! Movies, Internet, decorating, shopping, DIY.

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 5:26 PM

I was going to cry "bullshit" to Megan's dress size, also. I'm in a size 16 jean and she's bigger than me EXCEPT I carry my extra weight in my stomach. I have normal size everything else. So I started thinking about a friend of mine who can wear size 10 jeans but she has tree trunk legs and butt. I think sizes really depend mostly on where you carry your weight. I am about the same weight that Kim was during her shopping spree and she was pulling off much smaller sizes than I can.

TelevisionMary

TelevisionMary

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 9:26 PM

Ugh! When I was watching Megan get up at 6:00 a.m. so sleepy and to think she had to look forward to WORKING OUT high intensity (on the bike I think) that made me feel so tired, no way would I enjoy working out 6 hours a day and working so hard, biking up mountains, etc. It made me want to get an ice cream bar! And what's up with those stupid knee socks (striped!) on Bob?

I knew Megan was going to be voted off or Chris because I thought they were not part of the alliance. Now, soon all the alliance peeps are going to be gone and they will HAVE TO EAT EACH OTHER! hehe! That will be fun to watch! I hope different people see they were being used.

I really hate when they have the challenges where they can help each other - i.e. Pepperoni nips helping conda-beyotch, that seems unfair. They should have no challenges where you can help each other out - because of course, the family members are going to help each other out.

Lamb18

Lamb18

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 8:49 AM

I bet you that the show is hoping that anybody but Chris wins.

I wonder if TPTB hope that Kim is the winner, so she's getting a kinder edit. Of the remaining people, she's the best person to be a spokesperson or face of the franchise.

ProfCrash

ProfCrash

Stalker

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 9:04 AM

I'm having a hard time imagining what will happen if Conda or Jeremy wins. And not just because I'm in denial because I can't bear the thought of either of them getting the money. They've both lost weight, but neither of them is in great shape yet. They've got almost two months, but at the rate they're going I can't see either of them really slimming down by then. Everyone else still on the ranch looks like they need to lose another 10-15 lbs tops - the terrible two are both still pretty big. I'd think TBL wants someone really buff taking the title. I haven't watched more than a couple of seasons, but all the past winners I can recall looked slender and toned by the finale.

Buddy is still pretty far off from looking slim and trim. I would say that Mark and Kim look great. Chris is close and can get there in two months. Jeremy, Conda, and Buddy have a long way to go and will not look that great by the finale.

Given how good Mark and Kim look, I have difficulty seeing them maintaining numbes that will keep them in the game. I don't suspect foul play on Mark's part. I suspect that he has lost pretty much all that he really needs to and is going to have minimal returns now. Even with 6 hours of working out and cabbage soup, if there is little to lose, there is little to lose.

Kim has some toning weight that she can lose but she is not going to be pulling to many more 7 pound loses.

Chris can pull good numbers the rest of the way and be fine.

Miz Morton

Miz Morton

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 12:22 PM

Acch, so much to say!! I finally watched last night and I have to say, I actually liked the episode. Still don't like the people, but the episode was watchable. Agree with the nice Conda editing... day late and a dollar short.

1. I loved the Zumba, and I LOVED Buddy during that segment! Very funny. Also, because I am a language nerd, I noticed that Dolvett pronounces his own name Doll-vett. Everyone else says Dole-vett. Interesting.

2. Agree on the disordered eating/mayo drama. Dear Overweight America: it doesn't take starving to be at a healthy weight. It doesn't take giving up mayo or pizza or not eating pasta for five years. Please don't think "I'll never be thin" because that way of eating is UNREALISTIC. Jillian was good about that; remember Helen and the red wine?

3. I thought Vinny looked amazing. He was thinner than he was at the finale! And I was never a Vinny fan.

4. Agreed with JLVerde about Bob... I was thinking, "ooh, Bob, you're a pirate! Yarrrgh!"

5. Megan is toast at home. She is NOT self-motivated. She will likely gain it all back, IMO. Also, my wedding dress was a size 12, and I weighed 128 on my wedding day. So... *shaking head*

6. I get the feeling none of those contestants knew who Subway Jared even was. I think it was also JLVerde who pointed out the Old News-ness of Jared. He had to tell them who he was... cringe.

7. Makeover week, yay. I'm excited that they're going to the White House; Michelle Obama's fitness campaign goes well with the show. Two bummers: One, I believe I saw short gray hair on someone hugging family members in the preview... that means they may not change Chris' hair. Second, proof that TPTB don't read these forums: the absence of Tim Gunn, yet again. Come on!! I want Tim Gunn back! Or at least Clinton and Stacey!

8. Did anyone else notice the heinous smog over LA when Bob & his bikers got to the top of the hill? *shudder* I do not miss living in that city.

loki1957

loki1957

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:cats, photography, cooking

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 1:12 PM

Yeah the mayo and cheese thing. WTF? 1T of mayo isn't going to kill you and neither is a bit of feta. Feta is very good, albeit very salty, but so what? It's not like you are going to eat a pound of it every day. I'll never be stick thin either, but for Pete's sake, I'm not going to live on lettuce and vinegar the rest of my life. I gave up cheese for Lent so only a week to go. Daiya is an excellent vegan cheese so I'm not totally deprived. I'm a vegetarian but I pretty much eat what I like, just in moderation. I don't count every single calorie. You can't make these people neurotic about their food or they WILL gain it all back, or worse, develop an eating disorder. Yikes.

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 2:46 PM

3. I thought Vinny looked amazing. He was thinner than he was at the finale! And I was never a Vinny fan.

At first, I thought it was Darris when he walked in. He does look good.

Megan is going to have to keep it off long enough to fit in her wedding gown, or pay for alterations.
I'm trying to remember what restaurant it was that Antone managed. Chilis maybe? Guess he's lucky he's not there any more. Maybe he'll get a Subway franchise.
As to this not being a cooking show, I think if you can't cook, you might get around the challenge by saying, "hey, I know I can't win at cooking, but let me show you that I do know what to buy to eat."
Then you could fix a plate of veggies and/or fruits, with dip, or make a salad, and maybe find something healthy from the store deli.
I can't see going into the the judges with an attitude, though.

Edited by lu1wml, Mar 30, 2012 @ 2:47 PM.

Cher Z

Cher Z

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 8:28 PM

On the size 12 thing...

Megan could be wearing a size 12 jean but as for wedding dresses? No way.

Bridal and bridesmaids gowns are notorious for being teeny-tiny and the sizing is wayyy off. I wear a size 6 in my every day clothes for example but the last bridesmaid gown I bought was size 14. :O By comparison the thin 11-year old girl I was standing up with wore a size 6 (woman's size) in the same gown.

So it's not happening there in a size 12, chica. Unless the whole industry has completed changed their sizing in the last few months.

Edited by Cher Z, Mar 31, 2012 @ 8:30 PM.

Canada

Canada

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 10:28 AM

I'm still disturbed by the fact that Jeremy has been there for two months and seems to have learned nothing about how to cook or eat properly. And he still looks exactly the same. He's definitely going to gain back the (small amount of) weight he's lost.

Cranehigh

Cranehigh

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 2:00 PM

Chris is really hard for me to watch. I was struck by it really forcefully during this episode. I can't help but really feel for her. When she said (paraphrasing) "I thought I'd overcome these issues a long time ago but people can still see them. Am I back at square one?" my heart broke a little in sympathy. I've been there. She might be annoying. She might be grating. Still, there's something very real, and very difficult about watching her try and rebuild her self confidence. I actually find a few of the others likable, but she's the one I find myself actually crossing my fingers for at the weigh ins.