3-19: "Blue Ribbon Panel" 2012.03.25

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

132 replies to this topic

yulichka

yulichka

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 7:46 AM

Of those rules, only IRC 6103(i)(1) seems relevant, and all disclosure means is disclosure of the actual tax return. The tax return would not contain information of how the money was earned, nor would the IRS be the agency responsible for following up and getting that information. I.e. if the FBI gets a court order granting access to Kalinda's tax returns, the FBI may then want to call Kalinda in themselves and demand that she explain some sources of income. That the IRS would play that role (and that it would do so deceitfully, under the guise of administrative tax reasons while the FBI watches anonymously via webcam), or that the IRS would have required anyone to file copies of their checks on a routine tax return at all, is nonsensical.

knots

knots

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 2:47 PM

I have to add my disappointment at AgentSexy turning into AgentSleazy. Does she really think that is the way to get Kalinda, by acting like Peter and pressuring her? I hope AgentSleazy redeems herself by shooting Blake, or whomever might be coming after "Leela".

My thoughts exactly. They can finally use Jill Flint and we get THIS? Unless they are trying to make us dislike her so she is out of the show for good.
Off to read the rest of the thread now...

Good Lion

Good Lion

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 5:00 AM

[If Kalinda] never opens up to Alicia at all about her personal life, and we don't find out one more wit about Kalinda by the end of this season, I think I'm going to have a small personal fit.

Many here have been waiting for a reconciliation for ages, but I have to say I'm fine if they are never really friends again. Alicia's kind of an emotional vampire; if Kalinda has to confide in anyone (also debatable) I'd want it to be Will.

This season has been a bit of a wash, in my opinion. : ) I think most of the problems have come with trying to juggle this incredibly talented (but too large?) cast. I really could have done without the Amy Sedaris plotline, as others have said. I could do with more loungewear!Will as well. Remarkably, I'm looking forward to another campaign season, when everyone will be able to spread out a bit more.

Still, no matter how bizarre the circumstances, I've loved all of David Lee and Eli's battles. After Diane, they are kind of my favorite. And regarding the "Why not Julius as named partner?" thing... I agree that he's earned it, but maybe he blends too well into everyone else's team. (?) His type is essential to a healthy firm, but doesn't stand out enough. You have to be a super-type A for that job, I think.

Edited by Good Lion, Apr 1, 2012 @ 5:00 AM.

crashdown

crashdown

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 8:48 AM

Just a couple of tiny little things that jumped out at me on a rewatch of the last couple of episodes--I enjoy it when the show exhibits continuity about the small stuff:

1. Dunaway's judge quirk is that he doesn't like to be interrupted--we met him for the first time this season in "What Went Wrong," and he kept sending people over to the side of the room in his chambers if they interrupted each other. In this episode, when Alicia was arguing her point about the stopped train on the track, he yelled "Don't interrupt me!" at her. It wasn't a cute judge quirk at that point--it was angry, even vicious. I thought that was interesting.

2. In "Gloves Come Off," Kurt asks Diane to go "fishing." I hadn't picked up on it the first time around, but this is obviously an in-joke to the way "fishing" was used in "Another Ham Sandwich." I suspect any use of "fishing" from now on in the series is going to be part of exactly the same joke. And I like it!

Alicia's kind of an emotional vampire;

That's an interesting phrase. Can you elaborate?

ipj

ipj

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 12:17 PM

I disliked the transition to Alicia actively attempting to buy the house. (A landlord/Grace induced catalyst to examine different ideas of home was fine.) Right up until it exploded spectacularly in the final minutes with two big payoffs:
a) Jackie "I'm Not Dead Yet" Florrick is back in the ring, with about-to-be freshly coiffed hair and a whole new angle on driving Alicia crazy.
b) Peter decides he knows what Alicia is thinking and feeling, determines the best course of action for her, and completely ignores what she claims to want. (Him to call her back about something very important.) That heavy a misread blew (I hope) any chance of a reconciliation, and as always Peter will be oblivious to what he did wrong. (Usual note: love the character, the writing, and the acting. I think he is a bad husband.)

On "Florrick" buying the house I think that's pretty easy to see with minimal handwaving since the real estate agent was working for the potential buyer, not seller. Someone in the office told pushy realtor that "the Florrick sale went through for the house on Maple", either in genuine passing knowledge or a malicious "and you screwed it up, stalker realtor, so I will leave out a few details." I liked the realtor's gushingly effusive phone call to cover "WHY did I just miss a $45,000 commission when I even used Grace ruthlessly to push a big sale?"

The only way to save the AgentSleazy plotline is for the Chicago offices of the FBI and the IRS to fall into internecine warfare that spreads far beyond Kalinda.
Office worker A: The IRS is pouring in the front doors!
Office worker B: We've got the feds out back, covering all the exits! Into the ventilation shafts!

I was sad that even Jacob has mixed up blond bisexual not sexually harassing married lady (I think her name is Sofia?) from end of S2, and brunette lesbian always sexually harassing single lady from earlier in the show. AgentSexy/Sleazy is the latter.

swatkat

swatkat

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 12:55 PM

That's an interesting phrase. Can you elaborate?

Normally an emotional vampire refers to someone who feeds off others emotions, almost parasitically. I can't say I've ever seen Alicia operate in such a fashion.

Good Lion

Good Lion

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 3:41 PM

Maybe that wasn't quite the right term. I was just trying to say that all roads lead one way with Alicia, particularly in those two relationships. Will and Kalinda both want her [love] but they'll never rate with her. They'll do everything they can to protect or promote her, but it doesn't matter. Eventually, they just start treating her like she treats Grace. I now believe that the series will end with her choosing to give up her job and rejoin Peter as The Good Wife.

crashdown

crashdown

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 5:20 PM

I now believe that the series will end with her choosing to give up her job and rejoin Peter as The Good Wife.

Well, I believe it'll end with her in politics, having learned all the lessons she needs to learn about balancing idealism, personal loyalty, and pragmatic self-interest. Luckily, this is a question that will have an empirical answer someday (hopefully, far in the future!).

I was just trying to say that all roads lead one way with Alicia, particularly in those two relationships. Will and Kalinda both want her [love] but they'll never rate with her. They'll do everything they can to protect or promote her, but it doesn't matter.

That seems kind of harsh, especially for someone who's as damaged as Alicia. Sure, she's somewhat emotionally shut off, but she has good reason to have trust issues. And since she's willfully keeping herself from knowing just how much Will and Kalinda each love her, I don't think "never rate with her" is really fair: it's reducing a complex dynamic to something simplistic.

Good Lion

Good Lion

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 12:30 PM

Well, obviously you're a lot more optimistic regarding this show, and hopefully you're more right than I am. Still, I'm ready for Alicia to start moving forward in some definite way. I get that she has trust issues, (and I understand it; I'm no stranger to broken marriages) but at some point how you live (after that circumstance) becomes more your own issue and less anyone else's. I will say that Julianna Margulies does a great job with this incredibly limited character. I do think this is Christine Baranski's year. Diane has been incredible throughout.

crashdown

crashdown

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 2:54 PM

I will say that Julianna Margulies does a great job with this incredibly limited character. I do think this is Christine Baranski's year. Diane has been incredible throughout.

Well, I couldn't agree more about Christine Baranski--I hope this is her year for an Emmy. She's been incandescent. And of course, I agree that JM is amazing. But I couldn't disagree more about Alicia's being an "incredibly limited" character. Alicia is fascinating and complex, all the more so because she's so internal and tends to live in her head. That's an amazing challenge for an actress, and Julianna has done a terrific job with her. But it's not a challenge because Alicia is so limited--it's a challenge because there's so much *there*, and conveying that depends more on physical acting than on dialogue.

knots

knots

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 3:19 PM

Well, I couldn't agree more about Christine Baranski--I hope this is her
year for an Emmy. She's been incandescent. And of course, I agree
that JM is amazing.

Agreed with both, and I do hope CB will be nominated/win.

Well, I believe it'll end with her in politics, having learned all the
lessons she needs to learn about balancing idealism, personal loyalty,
and pragmatic self-interest.

I'd like to see that on my tv! Though I must admit that I cannot see her in politics, but more as Diane #2, with solid business sense, divorcing Peter, the children in college, and eventually moving to another town to set up her firm. It'd fun if she moved to LA and worked with Burl Preston (sp?) and his hideous work shirts!

Edited because random html tags appeared in the post!

Edited by knots, Apr 2, 2012 @ 3:35 PM.

Viva Elijah

Viva Elijah

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 1:39 PM

Just attempting to clear one thing up - - Illinois Rule of Professional Conduct 5.4(b) says: "A lawyer shall not form a partnership with a nonlawyer if any of the activities of the partnership consist of the practice of law." I'm not admitted to practice in Illinois, but the other states in which I am admitted have identical restrictions; it's pretty universal. A lawyer cannot be a partner with a nonlawyer in a law firm, and Eli can't be an equity partner (or any other kind of partner) in LG if he's not a lawyer. I thought I recalled one throwaway line of dialogue where someone said to Eli "has it been that long since you passed the bar" or something similar, but I watch this show mostly for my SO, who loves it, and don't devote the same attention to it that I do to some other shows. That said, here I am - - this is a particularly nice group of people on this forum!

To follow up on that, only in DC is it legal for non-lawyers to be part of law firms.

mayact4

mayact4

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 11:15 AM

I'm very late to this party, having just caught up on DVR, and I'm glad someone upthread explained how unrealistic the power grab for six MONTHS is. My other question has to do with the Blue Ribbon Panel - is this the norm in Chicago, that the police department investigates, then the DA investigates, and then, further, a panel investigates? I understand checks and balances, but this seems like overkill especially when it's made clear that the panel does.not.care.