Leave It to Niecy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

28 replies to this topic

Shortcake2001

Shortcake2001

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 7:04 PM

This reality show from TLC features Niecy Nash and her family. It premieres Sunday:

http://tlc.howstuffw...ave-it-to-niecy

Edited by Shortcake2001, Mar 22, 2012 @ 7:05 PM.

Sleepwalker12

Sleepwalker12

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 12:32 AM

Just watched it. It was Ok, kind of stereotypical in some ways. It made healthy eating look bad, because they really went overboard.

Edited by Sleepwalker12, Mar 26, 2012 @ 10:35 PM.

tarheel220

tarheel220

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 7:50 AM

I watched it but found myself getting very irritated at the two older kids. They came across as spoiled brats to me and the 12 year old is heading the same way. It wouldn't kill them to try new stuff that their mom wants to do as a family

swankie

swankie

Stalker

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 9:35 AM

Scripted out the ying yang. It seemed more like a sitcom than a reality show. I hate these contrived shows that are basically smart assed kids vs supposed out of touch, living in the past parents all the time. And that goes for Niecy’s interactions with her own mother as well. It bores me with sitcoms and it bores me even more with reality shows. Yawn....NEXT!

Side note: Niecy’s young daughter that thinks she’s hot stuff...not even. She’s really not that cute because she looks just like Niecy who I think is not attractive. Her toothy smile with that clown lipstick she wears makes me think of "this" , which scares the crap out of me.

Edited by swankie, Mar 26, 2012 @ 10:17 AM.

carolina_cutie

carolina_cutie

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 12:17 PM

I am going to give this show a chance. BTW...Niecy's mom is hotter than she is...Damn!

kemon

kemon

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 1:22 PM

It seemed more like a sitcom than a reality show

TLC does bill the show as a reality-sitcom.

Niecy's mom is extremely attractive.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 1:51 PM

I watched it but found myself getting very irritated at the two older kids. They came across as spoiled brats to me and the 12 year old is heading the same way. It wouldn't kill them to try new stuff that their mom wants to do as a family

Eh, all of them are obviously being fed lines to say so I can't condemn them or base their personality off of what I see on this show.

Ladybugnine

Ladybugnine

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 3:17 PM

I love Niecy, I do. But she's doing too much with all these reality shows of late. And to now film a "reality" show with her new husband and teenaged children, scripted or not, is a bad idea, to me. What she should have done is try blending her family and then do the scripted "reality" show.

And by now, the kids are probably on board with Jay being part of the family in real life, but what we're seeing on TV has probably already happened, but now being rehashed for TV's sake.

Karmalicious

Karmalicious

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 4:30 PM

I was a little disturbed by the 12 year old calling herself hot and saying she had a bangin' body. She was also talking about if guys like the way she looks than she looks good. Way too sexualized way too young.

sunnyzwei

sunnyzwei

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 7:34 PM

The oldest daughter's talking head segments were extremely annoying. I got the feeling she was trying hard to be witty and sarcastic in a funny way, but it just didn't work for me.

I would've LOVED it if my parents wanted to do all those fun things with me and my sister. The kids made it seem "uncool" if you hang out with your parents.

Niecy's mom is one gorgeous woman, I can only hope to look has as good when I'm her age.

It did seem "overly" scripted to me. Not sure if I will be turning in again.

deelitefuldd

deelitefuldd

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 10:14 PM

I love, love, love Niecy Nash and after watching her wedding special, I was kind of excited about this show. Her hubby is a cutie, and they seem to be a good match, but those kids? Lawd, they annoyed me! They were trying so hard to be... well, I'm not sure what they were going for, but they came off pretty obnoxious, IMO. Too much mouth, too much 'tude, just too much.

Two things that I must point out:

First of all, mammograms are not that bad! All that whooping and hollering she was doing was so over the top. I would hate for a woman who hasn't had a mammogram to see it, fall for the foolishness and actually be reluctant to have one done. But who am I fooling? That whole scene was SO fake and poorly acted, that I'm pretty sure nobody bought it.

Second, why did we have to see Niecy in the bathroom throwing up after drinking the juice? Why, why, why? That was so gross. And good luck with getting those kids to eat healthy now. BTW, I started juicing about 3 weeks ago, and I love it.

While it wasn't the best, I will probably watch next week. Hope there's a little less focus on the kids, though.

akahlf

akahlf

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 7:11 PM

I turned the channel after the first 8 minutes...I just can't. The children 'trying' to be witty was too much, Niecy's shrill voice was too much, and...eh. I won't be watching.

vmc88

vmc88

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 8:17 PM

This show was bad. Niecy's mom was the worst "actress.". The kids were annoying as hell. Not funny or witty. I love Niecy but this show is just wrong.

80sBaby

80sBaby

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 8:23 PM

I watched the first two episodes. It's definately very scripted so the sitcom-reality title is fitting. The children are all OTT annoying. They find themselves very amusing and I don't get it. I like Neicy but the kids...No Ma'am. They think they are so witty, it comes across as smug, disrespectful and bratty. I'm sure they are playing it up for the cameras but they need to tone it down. The mother is sweet and WOW, she looks great. She could lose the huge wig though. Her acting was really bad when they were in the kitchen talking about the healthy stuff.

Neicy's husband is very attractive and seems like a nice guy. I take my hat off to him for being able to deal with those kids.

I could have done with out the zoom in on Neicy vomitting. I won't be watching again, maybe if it was just Neicy and the husband.

prosperity2day

prosperity2day

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 4:20 PM

carolina_cutie
I am going to give this show a chance. BTW...Niecy's mom is hotter than she is...Damn!

I'm going to do the same with this show. To me they are funny especially the two daughters when they are in the talking heads. Even the husband/step-dad has a good personality.

LOL..I thought Niecy's mom was her older sister at first. I like her. Her personality makes me think of Evelyn(Braxton's mother).

luvhh

luvhh

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 3:48 PM

I kinda liked it. Even though it appears to be scripted I don't think the kids were trying to be witty. They had a few cameo appearances on Clean House and they were pretty much the same way as on this show, even though the focus wasn't on them.

livinggreen

livinggreen

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 9:57 AM

I was really appalled when the one daughter said that if you see Black people in snow, it's because they are lost. What an ignorant thing to say.

NeedISayMore

NeedISayMore

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 10:22 AM

Yeah, what was she implying with that remark? Even if someone wanted to pretend Blacks only live in urban areas, places like Chicago and New York with large Black populations, are blanketed in snow.

livinggreen

livinggreen

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 10:28 AM

I think that she was trying to say that Black people don't ski or wouldn't be at a MTN lodge.

PharmGal10

PharmGal10

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 10:31 AM

I thought she was saying that black people don't do outdoorsy activities that involve snow.

livinggreen

livinggreen

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 10:36 AM

Same thing.

Soup333

Soup333

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 5:06 PM

I tried. They are completely over the top. Besides the husband and his son who look bewildered most of the time. The grandmother is beautiful as well. The worse part is the kids are so disrespectful to the husband. I think the two older kids look more like their father, and poor hypersexualized Dia resembles her mother.

mom23boys

mom23boys

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 7:13 PM

I love me some Niecy!!! This show is cute and I guess the reason I like it so much, other than being a big Niecy fan, is that this family reminds me so much of my own. The kids come across as disrespectful but they aren't. It is all sarcasm and wit and for entertainment purposes. My hubby thinks it won't last past the first season but I hope it does, I love it!

prosperity2day

prosperity2day

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 11:24 PM

mom23boys
This show is cute

I think so too. It's so refreshing to see a reality show where people get along with each other as a family. The ex-husband and the current husband seem to be top notch gentlemen. The show is not perfect and I'm sure a lot of it is scripted but it's cute and corny. We have too many reality shows on the air with the only thing going for it is who will be jumping on who next week or who will get cussed out out. This show is a perfect change of pace....at least it is for me.

pasdetrois

pasdetrois

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 9:41 AM

Despite Niecy's three children clearly acting for the camera (they're obviously coming up with their own patter before the camera turns on, and probably hoping for their own Hollywood careers), I'm enjoying most of the show. I love Niecy, although a little of her goes a long way. Despite the ham-handed mugging for the camera that she and her family cannot resist, some fairly normal "reality" is leaking into this show. Her husband and stepson and ex-husband bring a dose of normality, although I'm not sure I buy that her husband didn't know anything about Jews and Christmas.

nodepth

nodepth

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 12:24 PM

Side note: Niecy’s young daughter that thinks she’s hot stuff...not even. She’s really not that cute because she looks just like Niecy who I think is not attractive. Her toothy smile with that clown lipstick she wears makes me think of "this" , which scares the crap out of me.

It's great to see a young girl, especially an African-American girl with such a bubbly attitude and great self-concept. As long as Niecy channels all that energy into some extra constructive activities like that dance class she'll be OK. These kids seem to have a great relationship with their mom, step-father and their father. IMO, these kids love their family, and their dry humor which is what I find it to be and not them being spoiled brats is all it is. They seem very smart and no way do I think they are being fed lines, but do I think some of the situations are scripted? Of course they are. Please, the lines are in no way something that even an average kid of intelligence could not come back with.

Niecy is such a personality, that's how I've always known her to act, so I'm not surprised her kids have similar personalities. I sure don't want to watch a bunch of kids walking around saying yes mam and no mam, never complaining because that's unreal. Teenagers, bitch, that's what they do, but it's a lot more fun to watch them bitch with a bit of dry humor IMO.

Yeah, what was she implying with that remark? Even if someone wanted to pretend Blacks only live in urban areas, places like Chicago and New York with large Black populations, are blanketed in snow.

Ah, I wasn't offended at all, I get it. She meant that for the most part, many folks of African-descent do not like cold weather, and going out to actually frolic around in the snow is not their first and foremost idea of fun. She's damn right. I get it and I laughed being part of the community. I laughed knowing that I and my mother and I'm sure others in the community are the exception because we can't stand the heat and would rather run out in the snow than in that damn oppressive summer heat. Ugh, and my mother is from the hot carribean but we'll take the cold of the snow any day over the heat of the summer. But still I was not offended by the joke. Black comedians make it all the time because for the most part it's true, many black folks don't like cold weather which no doubt can come with snow.

Edited by Strega, Apr 17, 2012 @ 10:43 PM.
boards on boards

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 3:29 PM

TLC does bill the show as a reality-sitcom.

At least they admit it then - that's refreshing. Some other shows should follow suit - like Big Rich Texas. It is an odd amalgam, though - not as riveting as reality and not as well scripted as sitcom; in every case.

I had wondered when they were all on Celebrity Wife Swap if a reality show might come later. So when this was on last night when I turned the Tv on, I watched an episode. It was the one where the 12 year old wanted new hair, and the 16 year old was being yelled at for...being 16?

The kids talk back way too much for my taste, but, to each family their own (doesn't mean it's entertaining though.) But I thought the 12 year old looked great with her 'natural hair.' I can see why she wants a weave if her friends and movie stars have them but she had beautiful hair on her own.

As for the 16 year old - for gosh sakes Niecy she is SIXTEEN. The way Niecy was reaming her and harping at her for still being home and not driving herself I thought she must be 24. Niecy isn't much of a worrier I guess either - just because a kid can legally drive doesn't mean they should be driving themselves all over L.A. My mom wouldn't let me get my license, despite having taken Driver's Ed in high school, until I was 19 and I didn't get a car TO drive until I was out of college (she wouldn't let me drive hers.) I wasn't wild, either - just the opposite. My brother could get a car and a job when he was 15, 16. Doesn't Niecy worry about handing her 16 year old daughter the keys?

And as for a sixteen year old "still living at home" that is where she is supposed to be. Sheesh be glad she isn't slipping out the window running all over town. I get urging her to be independent but Niecy was way too harsh about that, for me.

The (step)dad seems nice - but he's relegated to the Bruce Jenner role.

kelslamu

kelslamu

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 6:44 PM

I think the youngest daughter is pretty normal about the "hotness" and stuff. Maybe a little too much, but they just focus on it too much.

nicepebbles

nicepebbles

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 8:26 PM

although I'm not sure I buy that her husband didn't know anything about Jews and Christmas.

Since he's a pastor, I would hope he knows about Jews and Christmas.

I caught 1/2 an episode of this. I can't with this show no matter how much I like Niecy. I realize now that I can only take her in small doses. Take a full dose of her and add her 3 kids equals way too much for me. I don't like what I'm seeing of the kids. They aren't funny. At the moment, they don't have it, which is whatever their mother has to get where she is at this time. They come off as spoiled and annoying. I'm sure they aren't going for that. I'm sure they're good kids and have better personalities than what comes across on screen.