Bent: Trying to Stretch a 90-Minute RomCom into a Series

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

48 replies to this topic

red12

red12

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 4:32 PM

The black actor on the show that many are referring to is Jerry Brooks (professional name: JB Smoove). He has written on a ton of Saturday Night Live episodes. He is Leon on Curb Your Enthusiasm where he is hilarious with Larry David. He also was one of the few truly funny parts of the movie "Date Night" where he played the cab driver when Tina Fey and Steve Carrell were in the car chase.

Seshat23

Seshat23

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 11:12 PM

Is Screwsie the sister's real name? It's got to be a nickname -- right?

Yes, it's her nickname. She introduced herself to Pete in the pilot as Susie.

I laughed more during these two episodes than the first two. It's a fun show, and the cast works well with each other. I'll be sorry when the six episodes are done.

Guido

Guido

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 8:47 AM

Are you thinking of "It Had To Be You" with Faye Dunaway and the late, great Robert Urich?

Wow, I never saw that, but that does sound similar. I actually have no details other than a feeling I've seen it before. Like I said, I could just be confusing it with something else, I just thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone else had the same feeling.

KalEl

KalEl

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 9:11 AM

My favorite recent moment had to be the fight that turned into an analysis of her bedroom.

And I'm sorry the show isn't going to last, because I like the way Pete actually tends to lose more than he wins, because he is more jerk than he is charming and deserves it. It's rare you get a show that doesn't reward the continuous immature behavior of the male lead. Hell, almost the entire romantic comedy genre is based on the goofball getting the girl. I'd like to think that had the show continued they would have shown him having to be a better guy to make any headway.

CGRealms

CGRealms

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 5:16 PM

This show has come out of the gate with the cast chemistry and dynamics perfectly in place right out of the gate. I can't think of another sitcom this good that was this sure of itself right from the pilot. Except for dumping the babysitter character, everything was pretty much in place in the pilot.

corgi-ears

corgi-ears

Fanatic

• Interests:30 Rock, The Amazing Race, Battlestar Galactica, The Closer, Damages, Friends, How I Met Your Mother, The Office, Project Runway, Wonderfalls

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 11:40 PM

I did chortle hard at Alex's confused kiss-off to her boss and his wife ("Enjoy my headlights"), which Pete had to correct ("Tail lights").

CharlotteWebb

CharlotteWebb

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 9:23 PM

WItty, charming, great cast chemistry. So hey, we're in last place, let's put this gem up against...um.....American Idol. Yeah, that's our ticket out of the deep hole we're in!

Awesome, NBC. Must be frustrating as hell for the writers and cast...

brothertonbanks

brothertonbanks

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 9:34 AM

I just can't dislike a show with a character named Screwsie.

CGRealms

CGRealms

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 9:20 PM

Ah man, what a cruel way to end it.

MsLark

MsLark

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 6:09 AM

Ah man, what a cruel way to end it.

Yeah, poor Jessie! I'm sorry to see this go, it was a better show than a lot of other sitcoms out there, despite the predictability of the main non-couple couple's plot. Ah, well! So it goes.

livinggreen

livinggreen

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 9:02 AM

Wait! What did I miss?

KalEl

KalEl

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 9:33 AM

I had to stop the show to finish laughing when Gary came out onstage and the doctor smiled and said, "Yeah, I could watch 3 hours of this." One of the smartest decisions they made was to make him more than just the butt of jokes or a straight man. Him delivering lines in his own right is great.

As much as I hate to see this show go with it's quick humor and good chemistry at least I have these good six episodes, which is six more than Are You There It's Me, Chelsea or Whitney has ever had.

Edited by KalEl, Apr 5, 2012 @ 9:33 AM.

fauntleroy

fauntleroy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 9:49 AM

I really don't understand how they can cancel shows so quickly. The supposedly hot leading guy was pretty obnoxious, but that's the sort of thing they can fix by rewriting. I think they had already toned him down after a few episodes. I liked most of the cast and the writing was pretty brisk. If NBC doesn't give a show more of a chance than that, I don't know why they bother in the first place.

Edited by fauntleroy, Apr 5, 2012 @ 9:52 AM.

brothertonbanks

brothertonbanks

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 10:42 AM

Maybe the last episode was the killer. The first one was pretty bad too, but I thought the ones in between were better than most of the competition. I liked Mr. Obnoxious better than Mr. Whitney, and Amanda Peet better than Laura Prepon.

KalEl

KalEl

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 1:11 PM

I finally figured out where the dumbass, utterly unappealing title comes from. In rewatching the pilot (which I love) his fathers says, "I am bent, but not broken." Bent applies to both Riggins and Alex "bent" by their misfortunes, but not broken. Horrible, horrible choice.

LurkerNoMore

LurkerNoMore

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 1:41 PM

Waaah! I really loved this cute little show. And I thought the ending in the kitchen was hot! Maybe it was good for her not only giving into temptation, but also fantasizing about having a designer kitchen! Whoo hoo!

Was totally surprised that Pete didn't overhear her talking about the sex dream with her sister.

Loved Ben as well. What a sweetheart. "I love you. It's just how I feel. You don't have to say it back."

NBC sucks. Is there ANYONE who can get in there and actually run a network?

scuyalie

scuyalie

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 3:42 AM

Has there been official notice from the NBC assclowns that this is cancelled? I just watched all 6 episodes and absolutely loved it! Want to spend more time with these characters, not Whitney, the walking dead from the Office, or any other awful crap NBC will put up next fall for new "comedy" shows.

Cyrax

Cyrax

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 6:19 AM

There was no official word but the ratings were so bad that it's 1000% to be cancelled. It just won't appear on the next season's schedule, the regular way of cancellation.

skiptress

skiptress

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 6:20 PM

BFF has been pulled from the NBC schedule. At least we were able to see all 6 episodes of Bent, though they advertised BFF much more than Bent. Not that advertising it more than Bent would have taken much.