3-17: "Break on Through" 2012.03.22

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

91 replies to this topic

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

Stalker

• Interests:If you have a question for me, please use the Messenger/PM system to do that rather than leaving a question on this page (unless you’re a Just Tuned In, who won’t be able to use it until you’ve made ten posts). Thanks!

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 7:43 AM

From TWoP and Comcast:

Damon and Sage reunite a century after their first encounter. They meet again at a ceremony to begin restoration of Wickery Bridge. Meanwhile, Abby has trouble adjusting to her new reality; and Elena tries to help…

The recap is here.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Apr 4, 2012 @ 3:55 PM.

SnowFox

SnowFox

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 8:05 PM

I loved all the Damon and Alaric, and Damon and Stefan scenes. That look Alaric shot Meredith when she asked Damon if he had any tack whatsoever was priceless.

Caroline as always rules.

Elena, Bonnie and Klaus need to go away, and never come back. Stefan can stay if he only has scenes with Damon.

Bring back Jeremy, Tyler and Katherine.

Crucial

Crucial

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 8:07 PM

This episode irritated me so bad. Granted Sage is an old vampire but she can just get into an original's mind/dream like that. Damon, yeah, I can see but an Original? Still love the character Sage but how that was written is just stupid to me. And another thing, why can't Bonnie just have a moment to be pissed at Elena on screen? I mean a full fledged bitch fest at her for her Grams and her Mom. I'm so sick of the off screen angst she has and then that hug of "I forgive you". Come on Julie Plec, give the character that at least. The only enjoyable part of this episode was Caroline and Jamie. Other than that,not impressed at all.

mac123x

mac123x

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 8:08 PM

"Hi Jeremy! I just wanted to hear your voice. I miss you. Oh, by the way, take the ring off before you become a raging nutjob like Alaric. Love you!"

Which sentence was glaringly omitted from their conversation? Come on, Elena, pull your head out of your ass. Since there were numerous opportunities to tell him about the ring issue, I assume the writers left it out for a future plot element. Still, nice to see SRmcQ again.

Nice to see Bonnie get some on-screen development for once, and Caroline was her usual level of awesome. Of course, Bonnie immediately forgave Mary Sue Gilbert.

I yelled "oh, come on!" when they burned the planks from Son of White Oak, but I guess it's still in the game. How they figured out where the wood was in the first place was grade-A bullshit. The tree was 700 years old. How the fuck did Damon know to look at the 1912 records? Whole thing makes no sense.

Edited by mac123x, Mar 22, 2012 @ 8:09 PM.

MrsJeter

MrsJeter

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 8:14 PM

Damon is like a whole new vampire without Elena around bringing him down.

I love that he's worried about Alaric and finding a way to end the Originals. Leave Stefan to worry about Elena.

I thought there was going to be some twist with Jeremy at the end, and while I'm not mad that she made the decision to compel Jeremy, keeping him in the dark about this is wrong. Alaric didn't know he had a killer inside him until he had already killed 2 people and almost himself. She's made him and all the people around him vulnerable by keeping this a secret. Stupid decision.

Damon/Rebekah need to happen. She's evil, he's evil and they work together. I love that he honestly doesn't care that she tried to kill Elena a couple times, it's like as long as she doesn't succeed he's not going to kick up a fuss.

I love the end with the sign.

Stefan wasn't interesting enough for me during his ripper stage, so I think it's just the character. I do like him with Damon and other vampires though.

Hated the resolution to Bonnie/Elena because it felt like it was more about Elena.

Caroline is awesome.

Abby sucks rocks.

Jaime is boring.

I really like Sage's power. Have we ever seen a vampire with a special power like that?

Edited by MrsJeter, Mar 22, 2012 @ 8:31 PM.

Suspectno1

Suspectno1

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 8:25 PM

The whole white oak tree sl is ridiculous the quicker it ends the better, and I thought the moonstone was bad.

I liked the Bonnie/Caroline scenes but sorry as much as I love Caroline I felt like the Abby sl was mainly about her why is she always Bonnie's mouth piece? It looked more like Bonnie was the supporting friend and Caroline was the daughter. I did like the flower scene, very pretty.

Also once again everything Bonnie does is off screen, the daylight ring was done off screen, her helping Alaric off screen.
Also did not like that Elena would call Bonnie for help, I would have liked if Bonnie and Elena didnt talk for awhile and Bonnie/Caroline were hanging out more but of course Elena has to be forgiven right away.

The Damon/Sage scene was so random, so vampires can get into other vampires mind? Really? They really are making things up as they go along.

Jewlstone

Jewlstone

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 8:33 PM

This was the first time I missed some scenes because I was doing something else and I didn't even rush to see what I'd missed. What a boring episode.

"You know, the one you're NOT related to?" Really show? Really? Way to drop that anvil. Although if you want us to believe in the "romance", then you need to do better than that. Especially since that was their only scene.

Looks like Bonnie forgiving and bonding with Abby happened offscreen, along with Jamie learning to accept Abby even after she bit him. I really want to meet the TVD fans in Offscreenville, I bet they know the best storylines about Jeremy, Tyler, and Bonnie.

I know this will never happen, but I would love for Bonnie to just drop Elena as a friend. Hell, I'll even settle for her staying away from Mary Sue for at least half a season.

This white oak tree bs aka the "now Klaus is really REALLY gonna die this time guys. Seriously, I totes mean it!" storyline is just....ugh, do I even need to say it?

Rollin

Rollin

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 8:45 PM

I liked the scene where Bonnie forgives Elena. Elena didn't actually do anything wrong...at all. She does not need to apologize for being alive or for other's actions (Stefan and Damon) in keeping her alive. But she feels guilty for being indirectly responsible for Abby being turned into a vampire, so she apologized, which was nice.

I am not on the Elena hate train at all. If anything, I'd like to see her stop feeling guilty and stop apologizing for being alive and the actions of others. She needs to get her shit together and develop as a person...try to be happy on her own. Teenage girls may be hopeless romantics, but she does not need a boyfriend, she needs to start thinking about college.

Of course, Elena doesn't have parents, so she has worries unlike other teenage girls. I'd like to see someone in the town actually try to take care of her since Alaric went psycho killer. Alaric wasn't really an appropriate guardian either, and for that matter neither is Stefan or Damon. She needs a parent figure who does not have any possible sexual interest in her. What about her friends' parents and teachers, does no one even care that she's living alone without a guardian?

Edited by Rollin, Mar 22, 2012 @ 8:47 PM.

Love

Love

Fanatic

• Interests:Dancing and music. LOST was my fave tv show ever. Can't believe how much I miss it. There will never be another like it. My fave shows now consist of Game of Thrones, Vikings, Arrow, Once Upon A Time & CSI (original flavour). I still try to catch the Vampire Diaries and Glee for old times sake.

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 8:50 PM

I'm torn. I love Damon & Stefan in bonding mode. That last scene was priceless. Love it when they work together willingly. Having said that, I love the Originals too. Don't want to lose them. I agree with previous posts (and Cindy in the last episode recap) that this white ash oak thing is ridiculous. But it is what it is. Of all the bridges in all the world.....

I really like Sage. The actress is beautiful and the character was kickass. My only issue is, and I quote Damon "Finn, really?". The wussiest of the Original sibs? Sage could do so much better.

Damon/Rebekah continues to be hot. I used to be a Damon/Elena shipper. Not so much anymore. I find him way more tolerable away from her. Too bad Damon is anti-Original. A serious pairing with Rebekah would be the perfect way for him to make Klaus' head explode.

The Bonnie/Caroline friendship is winning me over. I much prefer them as friends than I do either one with Elena. I've really had it with her. Despite her forgiveness, I hope that Abby's leaving pushes Bonnie over the edge where Elena is concerned. Jamie is adorable. Caroline really does have chemistry with everyone she has scenes with.

I'm not sure how I feel about the Alaric story. My only investment in him is his friendship with Damon. I honestly wouldn't be upset if he was killed off except for Damon. Loved his concern for his friend. And I really like Meredith now. Couldn't stand her at first, but she's grown on me. I don't think the actress is that bad.

Finally, one thing that bothered me about this episode was that a lot seemed to happen offscreen. Alaric telling Stefan that Elena was going to the loft. Damon knowing what happened to Ric & showing up at his bedside. Stefan knowing what happened at the bridge with Damon, Rebekah and Sage. Stefan even knowing Sage was in town.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Mar 22, 2012 @ 9:11 PM.
Formatting

tigerdee41

tigerdee41

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 8:51 PM

Is Caroline Abby's daughter? Seriously because going by tonight one would think so. Caroline got the scenes with Abby that should have rightfully gone to Bonnie. I guess letting Bonnie be the center of her own "storyline" would have been too much. But yay Bonnie got to forgive Elena and help various white people, offscreen of course. Double yay her supposed love interest spent more time with Caroline than her. Triple yay that Bonnie/Abby bonding happened offscreen! Yet JP wonders why Bonnie fans thinks she's prejudiced against Bonnie. LMAO!! I hope KG was among the TVD stars looking for pilots.

The rest of the show isn't even worth commenting on. KW please come back!

Edited by tigerdee41, Mar 22, 2012 @ 8:56 PM.

Jewlstone

Jewlstone

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 8:53 PM

She needs a parent figure who does not have any possible sexual interest in her. What about her friends' parents and teachers, does no one even care that she's living alone without a guardian?

[snip] She already has one, Alaric. Mystic Falls is not only the town of supernaturals and extremely attractive people, it's also the town of crappy parents. Most of them are deadbeats, so I doubt they'd care about someone else's kid when they don't even care about their own. Even if they did, I'd think that Matt would be more of a concern. At least Elena lives with someone, poor Matt's been on his own since season 1.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Mar 22, 2012 @ 9:13 PM.
"Um" post

Vickilyn

Vickilyn

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 9:02 PM

What about her friends' parents and teachers, does no one even care that she's living alone without a guardian?

Elena is 18. She is no longer legally required to have a guardian.

Crucial

Crucial

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 9:10 PM

Is Caroline Abby's daughter? Seriously because going by tonight one would think so. Caroline got the scenes with Abby that should have rightfully gone to Bonnie. I guess letting Bonnie be the center of her own "storyline" would have been too much. But yay Bonnie got to forgive Elena and help various white people, offscreen of course. Double yay her supposed love interest spent more time with Caroline than her. Triple yay that Bonnie/Abby bonding happened offscreen! Yet JP wonders why Bonnie fans thinks she's prejudiced against Bonnie. LMAO!! I hope KG was among the TVD stars looking for pilots.

The rest of the show isn't even worth commenting on. KW please come back!

Absolutely word to everything you posted. If this episode wasn't clear it surely is now.

Jewlstone

Jewlstone

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 9:11 PM

THIS, basically

Also funny how this is the second episode in which Julie talked big game about the Bonnie/Jamie pairing and still NOTHING happened with them.

mac123x

mac123x

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 9:12 PM

One scene I really liked that I forgot to mention earlier. When Alaric came after Meredith, she defended herself, and did a good job of it: throw the hot coffee, kick him on the stairs, then stab his hand with the scissors. I liked that she wasn't a passive victim.

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 9:17 PM

Yay for a Jeremy cameo! I am still hoping that he's not in Denver and he was lying to Elena on the phone. Doubtful, but I'm holding out that hope until he actually comes back to Mystic Falls. But seriously, his cameo made me extremely happy. During the episode, I found myself thinking about Jeremy in every single Elena/Alaric scene. 'what about Jeremy? Is anyone thinking about Jeremy? Do you even care that Jeremy could be going all psycho-killer in Denver right now?'. And I kept telling myself that I couldn't wait for him to return. So thank you VD writers, for giving me this wonderful surprise. It was very much needed.

I did miss a few things because of my parents so I only caught a glimpse of the Damon/Rebekah/Sage scene. I'll have to rewatch that.

Elena, STFU. When she was telling Damon that Stefan needed a different self control or whatever shit she was spewing out, I literally said out loud 'Bitch, please. You think you know vampires better than actual vampires? STFU'. She's starting to really grate. But I guess I did feel sorry for her during her scene with Bonnie. Finally, we actually see a lot of remorse from her. But really, why must Bonnie forgive Elena but blame Damon and Stefan for everything? Ok, so Bonnie didn't blame the Salvatores this episode, but we've seen it happen. Oh well.

Finally, Paul gets to have a quick scene with his wife. That made me laugh.

Why must the show cut out scenes from promos? I was really looking forward to see hot!Alaric banging on the door after Meredith locked herself in. But Matt Davis (who I now officially think is a total Douchebag) does play psycho killer well. I mean, he played AlariKlaus way better, but he still does better when he's not being sappy alcoholic dude.

Stefan/Damon scenes continue to rock. I love Caroline but for a moment, I feared her and Jamie would become love interests instead of Jamie/Bonnie. I'm still kind of afraid, actually. And I know this is wrong, but Nina seriously does have chemistry with everyone, and now not just with guys. That scene with Meredith at the beginning gave me shivers. I'm pretty sure that was just me, though.

Sage is pretty cool, but I'm still undecided because of the Finn thing. Really? I would understand if it were Elijah, Kol, maybe even Klaus, but Finn? Whiny douchebag mama's boy? I can't see it.

Rollin

Rollin

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 9:19 PM

Elena is 18. She is no longer legally required to have a guardian.

She may not legally require a guardian, but what about adults showing concern for her living by herself or with Alaric, like Liz or Tyler's mom?

I recently rewatched the pilot episode and it's clear then that Mystic Falls was at that time a tight-knit town where Elena and Jeremy had a strong support system of friends, neighbors and teachers, not to mention a legally appointed guardian. Judging by this season, Elena is barely in school, almost never seen doing homework and seems very depressed. Unless all that is happening off screen, her grades are probably failing at a time when she should be planning her future. When Jeremy's grades were failing in Season 1, even his History teacher who hated him called a parent teacher conference. Do these kids have any teachers other than Alaric who care about them?

Basically, I would love to see an episode where the kids actually start worrying about their future outside of supernatural drama. It would add an interesting layer to the human characters outside of acting as pawns or ineffectual players in the games of much more powerful non-human creatures.

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 9:20 PM

Oh, and I totally called Abby feeding on Jamie the moment she appeared on screen. It was so incredibly obvious that they would go there. The surprises and twists are getting less...twisty and less of a surprise.

Love

Love

Fanatic

• Interests:Dancing and music. LOST was my fave tv show ever. Can't believe how much I miss it. There will never be another like it. My fave shows now consist of Game of Thrones, Vikings, Arrow, Once Upon A Time & CSI (original flavour). I still try to catch the Vampire Diaries and Glee for old times sake.

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 9:29 PM

I loved Rebekah when she showed up at Damon's place with the bottle of wine. "I stole this from Nik who stole it from a Queen. I forget which one". For some reason, that line cracked me up.

luvprue1

luvprue1

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 9:40 PM

Of course, Elena doesn't have parents, so she has worries unlike other teenage girls. I'd like to see someone in the town actually try to take care of her since Alaric went psycho killer. Alaric wasn't really an appropriate guardian either, and for that matter neither is Stefan or Damon. She needs a parent figure who does not have any possible sexual interest in her. What about her friends' parents and teachers, does no one even care that she's living alone without a guardian?

Yeah, Elena do need a guardian who will guide her,and give advice. However she haven't had that since her parents died. Jenna was there, but Elena was pretty much left on her own. However I doubt she will get a guardian, or one of her friend's parents will step in , considering Matt and Viki have been living on their own since the season started,and both of them were under the age of 18. No one step in to help them,or check on them. So I doubt anyone would do it for Elena. Especially considering she is 18 now.

I really like Sage. The actress is beautiful and the character was kickass. My only issue is, and I quote Damon "Finn, really?". The wussiest of the Original sibs? Sage could do so much better.

I get the feeling that Sage is only interested in Finn because he is pure/moral and have virtues. I think she wants to currrupt Fin. She might be in love with him, but I doubt it. I also wonder if Sage was turned by the originals? Sage said she over 900 years old,and we know that the original are over a 1000 years old. So maybe Fin is the one who turned Sage.

The Bonnie/Caroline friendship is winning me over. I much prefer them as friends than I do either one with Elena. I've really had it with her. Despite her forgiveness, I hope that Abby's leaving pushes Bonnie over the edge where Elena is concerned. Jamie is adorable. Caroline really does have chemistry with everyone she has scenes with.

Nice thought, however Bonnie had been friends with Elena just about all her life,and Abby only recently enter Bonnie's life "After" abandoning her. So I doubt Bonnie will be upset with her best friend because a lady who she never ever bonded with ( until recently) and really do know left town. I sure Bonnie like the idea of having a mother, but right now she has a closer bond with Elena than she do her mother.

I love that Rebecca and Sage pull one over on Damon. It was nice that he got fool for a change. I hate the whole lets kill Klaus thing. I think they really should move on from that, especially since Elena is not in danger of being killed by Klaus,and if Elena was smart she would add Jeremy to the list of people Klaus have to protect. All she has to do is threaten to turn,and Klaus will cave in.

Love the Damon and Alaric scene. I always do. I'm do not know where they are going with Stefan 's character, but did anyone else think for a moment that Stefan was going to kill Alaric?

Bonnie the only character who makes a camo appearance in her own storyline.LOL! So far I do not like the character of Jamie. The actor do not have range. His only expression are anger ,or boredom . However he seem to have more chemistry with Caroline than he did with Bonnie. I thought he was a another love interest for Caroline instead of Bonnie.

Edited by luvprue1, Mar 22, 2012 @ 9:47 PM.

KatTV

KatTV

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 9:42 PM

The Damon/Sage scene was so random, so vampires can get into other vampires mind? Really? They really are making things up as they go along.

Didn't Damon go into Rose's head/dream when she was dying? And Katherine has gone into Stefan's head/dreams at least once, so I don't think it's that far fetched. Sage said if they could get Rebekah's inhibitions down, she could get in.

Unfortunately, I thought the entire episode was just a snore. There wasn't anything that held my interest or got me excited about next week.

Did Abby do something to the jar of herbs that Bonnie brought to Elena? Did I imagine it, or did Abby slip something extra into the mix?

Gee, I can't remember an episode where there has been so little to comment on. Hmm. Nope. Nothing.

Love

Love

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 9:44 PM

luvprue1:

I also wonder if Sage was turned by the originals? Sage said she over 900 years old,and we know that the original are over a 1000 years old. So maybe Fin is the one who turned Sage.

Finn was the one who turned Sage. She told Damon he did so they could be together forever. Then big bad Klaus had to go and ruin it by sticking a dagger in Finn.

Janieful

Janieful

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 9:51 PM

I was always under the impression that Caroline was on a squirrel diet like Stefan. But based on this episode, it appears as if she has always drank human blood. Am I right?

So, based on this information, why does Stefan feel bad about drinking human blood from blood bags? I guess the implication is that unlike other vampires, he can't control his urges. But why not? He has over 150 years on Caroline. Why couldn't he learn to control it?

I'm still re-watching Season One and just watched "Miss Mystic Falls" again. This was the episode when Stefan really spiraled over the edge. Best episode ever, by the way. Even in that episode, they never mentioned the whole Ripper persona. So my question is - was this just something they made up in the middle of season two? Or was it something they planned from the beginning?

Clearly I have a lot of questions and confusion about the Stefan blood story line. I guess I should just always assume that writers make it up as they go along, but I want to give this show more credit. Stefan's lack of control and desire to overcome his vampire self has been an ongoing theme. Overall I like it and appreciate the continuity, although after watching Season 1 alongside Season 3, I can't help but notice that Stefan is not as compelling. Has the actor lost his edge or are they just not giving him good lines? He doesn't have the acting depth that he once had. He's still a very good actor, but I don't see the range of emotion that I saw in the first season.

I think Nina Dobrev continues to deliver. Her conversation with Jeremy on the phone was excellent. She is very good at expressing complex emotions. I honestly don't understand the Elena hate that I read so much of on this board. Sure, she is blinded by her love for two brothers, but otherwise I find her to be fairly goodhearted and consistent as a character.

Edited by Janieful, Mar 22, 2012 @ 9:53 PM.

megsara

megsara

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 9:56 PM

I loved it. Fun, fast-paced, emotional.

Yay, Caroline was back. When she was telling Jamie (which, if they are planning on Jamie/Bonnie, do not put him in multiple scenes with the Chemistry Machine) she knew how it felt I thought she meant about becoming a vampire against her will, though maybe that's still a bit of a touchy subject. I mean, I know Caroline's come to terms with being a vampire. How she became one and going through the transition w/o knowing what was going on? Could be a different matter.

It sucks that Abby is so consistently....sucky. Poor Bonnie.

Alaric was so freaky! That MRI scene was something. And have to kinda love Meredith now. She was fierce, fighting him off. So, that note to Jeremy? This still sounds like a possession to me. And maybe only one person can be possessed at a time?

Was I the only one hoping that Damon would be in the bed w/Alaric when he woke up? It did look like there was someone else in there. But oh no, is Matt Davis supposed to be an ass in real life?

Jeremy!! Hot as always.

Dancing Damon! Always appreciated. He and Rebecca have good chemistry. And loved his ribbing of Sage's Finn love. I mean, Finn? Really?

I.....I.....I think I might miss Klaus a little bit. Or, possibly just Klaus/Caroline scenes.

Rollin

Rollin

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 10:08 PM

So, based on this information, why does Stefan feel bad about drinking human blood from blood bags?

It might also have something to do with feelings of guilt. Caroline killed one person, but Stefan has killed tons of people, so maybe drinking human blood brings up feelings of disgust and pain because it reminds him of his victims. Caroline doesn't really associate drinking blood with murder, for her it's more like receiving a blood transfusion or eating a steak.

I honestly don't understand the Elena hate that I read so much of on this board.

I don't get it either. Elena has made some questionable and even (gasp) selfish choices but so have all the other characters. Honestly I think it's because Elena suffers from Buffy Season 6 syndrome AKA protagonist gets understandably depressed and suicidal from all the death and destruction and never smiles, audience gets bored and turns on him/her. Also, she's the center of a love triangle that's not going anywhere.

Girl needs some kind of motivation in life outside of vampire world. Maybe she can join the school newspaper, she once said she wanted to be a writer. That would be cheesy and awesome...EDITORIAL STAFF DRAMA!

Suspectno1

Suspectno1

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 10:22 PM

Didn't Damon go into Rose's head/dream when she was dying? And Katherine has gone into Stefan's head/dreams at least once, so I don't think it's that far fetched. Sage said if they could get Rebekah's inhibitions down, she could get in.

Ah yes thank you for reminding me, I forgot lol. But what I didnt like is that it was easy for them to do it to Rebecca after they have been trying to tell us that the Originals are so powerful, I guess maybe Sage being turned by Finn is why it was easy for her.

It sucks that Abby is so consistently....sucky. Poor Bonnie.

Seriously this if anything Bonnie should be the one running away.

Edited by Suspectno1, Mar 22, 2012 @ 10:55 PM.

Ladyhawke

Ladyhawke

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 10:36 PM

The whole white oak tree sl is ridiculous the quicker it ends the better, and I thought the moonstone was bad.

I liked the Bonnie/Caroline scenes but sorry as much as I love Caroline I felt like the Abby sl was mainly about her why is she always Bonnie's mouth piece? It looked more like Bonnie was the supporting friend and Caroline was the daughter. I did like the flower scene, very pretty.

Also once again everything Bonnie does is off screen, the daylight ring was done off screen, her helping Alaric off screen.
Also did not like that Elena would call Bonnie for help, I would have liked if Bonnie and Elena didnt talk for awhile and Bonnie/Caroline were hanging out more but of course Elena has to be forgiven right away.

I'm pretty sure the whole older vampire being able to get into another vampires mind has been established from at least the middle of Season 2. If I remember correctly, Katherine used her Jedi mind tricks on Stefan when they were trapped in the tomb, and Lexi used the same thing on Stefan earlier this season when she was trying to help him feel again in Ghost World.

...and Damon used it on Elena back in S1...granted she's not a vampire...and he did it with Rose in her weakened state in S2. Jedi mind tricks are show canon.

Mia Nina

Mia Nina

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 10:38 PM

Rollin:
Honestly I think it's because Elena suffers from Buffy Season 6 syndrome AKA protagonist gets understandably depressed and suicidal from all the death and destruction and never smiles, audience gets bored and turns on him/her. Also, she's the center of a love triangle that's not going anywhere.

Replying here.

Edited by Mia Nina, Mar 22, 2012 @ 10:39 PM.

Lord Seth

Lord Seth

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 12:05 AM

"Hi Jeremy! I just wanted to hear your voice. I miss you. Oh, by the way, take the ring off before you become a raging nutjob like Alaric. Love you!"

Which sentence was glaringly omitted from their conversation? Come on, Elena, pull your head out of your ass. Since there were numerous opportunities to tell him about the ring issue, I assume the writers left it out for a future plot element. Still, nice to see SRmcQ again.

It's been established that once the ring does affect your mind, getting rid of it won't stop it, so taking it off wouldn't help in that area.

The question then is, what if it affects him later? Well, it's implied that it only starts the effects once it saves you enough times (I'm not sure if it ever said if it ever saved Samantha, though), and it hasn't apparently had any effect on Jeremy (who's been saved by it fewer times than Alaric). So, if it only has a chance of causing the effect if it goes off again, and it isn't affect him yet, then the only time it could cause him to go insane would be if it brought him back again. So if he was killed by a supernatural creature, there are two possibilities:
1) He has the ring, gets brought back to life, and they can deal with any future problems (even if he's in the dark about the more insidious effects of the ring, presumably he'd bother to call Elena to tell her about the attack, which would allow them to help him out).
2) He doesn't have the ring, and dies.

I do feel Elena maybe should've tried to do a little more investigating to make sure nothing weird was going on with Jeremy or where Jeremy was and to also be sure the ring only starts the effects if it goes off too many times. But if the ring currently has no chances of affecting Jeremy, there's not a real reason to have him take it off.

Anyway, I liked the episode overall, but one thing bugged me. If Sage was able to read Damon's mind well enough to know his plan was to kill Rebekah and thus kill all the others, then how did she not also know that Finn was the one who was trying to kill the other Originals? And if she could tell that was his plan, why wouldn't she have been able to know Damon was only pretending to be angry?

I think it would've been better had she said that she learned about the linkage when reading Rebekah's mind, and put together the pieces of what Damon was planning, as that makes the story the same but clears up the above points.

Pucklady

Pucklady

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 12:12 AM

About Sage's Jedi mind trick: I don't think she was ever in Rebekah's mind. I think she and Rebekah were colluding against Damon from the beginning "The original family treated me like dirt." Lies! Part of the act to get sympathy from Damon.

Also - did anyone think it a bit strange when out of the blue, Jeremy says "I got a dog." I'm wondering if he didn't actually get a dog, but has a werewolf hybrid with him, which is likely not Denver. I think it is odd that both Jeremy and Tyler went missing at about the same time.