11-21: "Top 10: Performances" 2012.03.21

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

100 replies to this topic

Humbled

Humbled

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 5:21 PM

And what about his assistant (or whoever she was)? She was little more than a prop. Hey! I'm young and beautiful, making Hilfger relevant!

Hilfiger and his cold-fish sidekick (was she there to be a generationally-appropriate resource for him?)

I believe that women is the American Idol stylist, not Mr. Hilfiger's assistant. At one point, when she said to Hilfiger (regarding Phil), "He likes to roll his sleeves up...", a caption appeared under her, citing her name and her position as AI stylist.

Edited to add: her name is Soyon An, the stylist for the female contestants.

Edited by Humbled, Mar 22, 2012 @ 5:32 PM.

Babalooie

Babalooie

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 5:48 PM

Just as I thought:

From a ZAP2IT ARTICLE regarding HeeJun's performance:
"Diddy and Jimmy Iovine, who didn't really seem to be on board the Heejun train during Han's mentoring session, were totally in on the plan too. "Oh yeah, they liked it! They were like 'Do it, do it, do it, do it!' I was like 'Okay guys,'" he says."

LittleBunnyTutu

LittleBunnyTutu

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 6:50 PM

Tonight his "humor" was on display in both his off and on stage performance and he went from being a joker to being a joke.

Not to me. Loved it. It was the only thing that woke me up from my semi-nap during the show.

commenter

commenter

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 6:56 PM

I thought Heejun did great tonight. I've been a fan of his the whole time, but it was nice to see him let loose and to step away from singing ballads. Don't know who pissed in Steven Tyler's cheerios tonight but he was a bit snippy. I don't think Heejun was treating it as one big joke, but you know, he is smart and I am sure he realizes that he probably won't last too much longer. So I'm glad he had some fun tonight!

Season-long Heejunite here too. I also thoroughly enjoyed every minute of Heejun’s segment, including the “Jessica Sanchez” answer and the fast tempo performance.

If anyone at AI is genuinely ticked off about any part of his performance or behavior, they’re not the ones involved in the production or the ones who care about ratings. (The fact that none of the lead-up to the song gave us a glimpse of what song he was going to sing also tells me TPTB got a kick out of his switch.)

Too bad I didn’t watch it live and vote (I'm watching the videos on Youtube), but I’m pretty sure he’ll be fine.

Elise was really great, and I loved her rendition of the song.

Jessica was very good too, vocally, though her song choices bore me, as do Hollie’s. Joshua was also good vocally, as always, but his rendition of the song, not as much. Based on his voice, though, I really hope he stays. Phillip Phillips was alright too. Haven't seen Skylar yet.

Edited by commenter, Mar 22, 2012 @ 7:00 PM.

purplemoon

purplemoon

Channel Surfer

• Interests:Game of Thrones, Mad Men, True Blood, Modern Family, The Office, Gossip Girl, The Vampire Diaries, 30 Rock, American Idol, America's Next Top Model, Cupcake Wars, House, The Soup, Buffy, Firefly, Dollhouse, Xena, Once & Again, My So-Called Life, Dark Angel

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 7:32 PM

We will hear from none of these people after the season ends, except on further seasons of AI. Same as it's been the last few seasons. This is a reality show. None of these kids have enough talent to really warrant a recording contract on their own merit, and none of them really have the "it" factor that would even make them marketable as pop stars. I think last year's crop of talent was MUCH stronger, but as much as I loved some of those contestants (Casey!) I still didn't expect them to make some lasting impact on the music industry.

So I take absolutely NO issue with Heejun not taking this seriously enough. I rather welcome it, because as a viewer, at least there's something fresh to keep my interest and entertain me. With AI's insistence on repeatedly dredging out obscure songs from artists who haven't been relevant for 20 or 30 years, it's getting harder to find reasons to watch, but Heejun absolutely is one of those reasons right now.

I DO think Heejun is kind of trapped in a sort of damned if you, damned if you don't scenario, though. In the audition and Hollywood rounds, I believe he was absolutely sincere about wanting to be a singer. I think he had enough talent and showed enough passion to make it seem like he wanted it, and I think the folks who doubted him just because he exhibited an actual personality off-stage were treating him unfairly. But I definitely think Heejun is, vocally, out of his league at this point, even compared to the other weak singers like DeAndre. And I'm sure Heejun knows this, but he's been kept safe based on the good will he's built up with those who love his antics and personality (like me). He tried a sincere performance last week and he bombed; maybe he felt at this point all he can do is own up to the 'comedian' angle and give a performance appropriate for the folks who have gotten him this far. I think he knows he can't really please his detractors in any way at this point, so he may as well as cater to those who like him.

And I for one find him a hell of a lot more refreshing than Colton, whose whole schtick makes my skin crawl at this point, but that's one of the best parts of AI. There's (usually) something for everyone!

harperlee

harperlee

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 7:58 AM

Was that elise's dad crying after her performance? Anyone know her nationality?

spacecitymarc

spacecitymarc

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 11:04 AM

"Testone" makes me think she's Italian, at least on her father's side.

cryptaknight

cryptaknight

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 24, 2012 @ 12:52 PM

Regarding Heejun- this is AI. It's a tired reality show that's been on for eleven years and produced maybe three or four truly successful artists. It's a show that trots out the same boring themes season after season, making these kids sing songs that were first released years before they were born, and almost never anything relevant to the current musical landscape. It's not serious; it's not anything that needs to be respected or revered. So Steven Tyler may not have been amused with Heejun's "taking the piss out of that song", but I sure as hell was.

I was just as amused picturing all the sour-puss pearl clutchers that were going to gasp and well-I-never about that performance. It's AI, not the presidential election. Lighten up.

I also enjoyed finally having a face to put to the stylistic atrocities that occur on this show.

Performance wise, Phil was great. That was about it. I just get so disappointed when an artist like Billy Joel has all these popular, upbeat songs, and we get an evening of ballads.

theNightFog

theNightFog

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 24, 2012 @ 1:12 PM

crypaknight: I totally agree. Man, it's Heejun who makes this season fun and entertaining. He's a perfect foil for a show like this. AI is hardly serious TV.

I also like some of the lively, upbeat performances from someone like Phillip Phillips.

Otherwise, this season would be an endless parade of over sung, over the top ballads.

joeschmoe

joeschmoe

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 4:35 PM

Regarding Heejun- this is AI. It's a tired reality show that's been on for eleven years and produced maybe three or four truly successful artists. It's a show that trots out the same boring themes season after season, making these kids sing songs that were first released years before they were born, and almost never anything relevant to the current musical landscape. It's not serious; it's not anything that needs to be respected or revered. So Steven Tyler may not have been amused with Heejun's "taking the piss out of that song", but I sure as hell was.

Sorry, but the sight of having someone who says he doesn't care about the Idol crown advancing over one who wants to win it is just disappointing. And as for that performance, while something upbeat was supposedly good for him, this one was just more eyeroll-worthy than entertaining.

Performance wise, Phil was great.

I also like some of the lively, upbeat performances from someone like Phillip Phillips.

Phil's performance was nothing really to write home about. Not to mention, his performance just melds with all his others, which doesn't bode well for him. And his most recent performance was NOT upbeat in anyway, it was rather slow.

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

• Interests:Left wing politics, sci-fi, sports, competitive reality shows

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 8:18 PM

Personally, I object to this idea of "Who is your style icon? Let's dress you just like them!" You don't need a professional designer or stylist in order to just copy someone else. A stylist should be helping you create your own look.

I object more to the very idea of "stylists". If it's "your own look", you don't need someone else creating it. As much as I find Heejun tired, stupid, and thoroughly unamusing, the entire show is about creating a schtick, a persona. Having a stylist helping to create it is just as much evidence of that as anything Heejun has done.

Most of them have the personality of drywall. If the only thing you care about is "the music", then go sing in your local watering hole or wedding banquet...don't go on a national singing competition show!

I disagree strongly. If this was actually a national singing competition, that would be precisely where I would like to see these people. I don't care about personality at all. Of course, I don't believe it's a national singing competition.

Steve Tyler lectures Hejun on respecting the business. Were you respecting the business all the time you were on drugs hypocrite.

Just because someone likes getting loaded--whether it's your average drunk (who's "on drugs", as far as I'm concerned) or whatever--it doesn't mean they're not good at the job they do. I don't like Tyler, but he's not a hypocrite for thinking Heejun's a joke and telling him that to his face.

Edited by BDArizona, Mar 25, 2012 @ 8:19 PM.