Best Friends Forever

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

79 replies to this topic

tinybaby

tinybaby

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 3:07 PM

NBC put up a sneak-peek of the pilot: http://www.nbc.com/b...preview/1391706

"Jessica St. Clair ("Bridesmaids") and Lennon Parham ("Accidentally on Purpose") star as Jessica and Lennon, best friends who live on opposite sides of the country with the men in their lives. When Jessica is overnighted divorce papers, Lennon convinces her to return home to Brooklyn and back into the apartment they used to share."

I enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to this show. I feel like we haven't had a good female-friendship show since SATC.

Cyrax

Cyrax

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 24, 2012 @ 4:53 PM

I'll be checking this one out because I rarely miss sitcom pilots but I'm not having my hopes up (see: Bent).

tressbell

tressbell

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 10:52 AM

I watched the pilot last night on ATT Uverse and I too liked it. I enjoyed the relationship between Lennon and her boyfriend and felt like they were relatable characters. Not sure how if it will be good after a few episodes but I'm willing to give it a try. I started the pilot for Bent afterwards and only made it 3 minutes before turning it off, so it is 18 minutes better than Bent!

Jessica St. Clair is also in Marshall's dept store adds that are aired quite often during my morning tv.

akg

akg

Stalker

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 6:29 PM

I enjoyed the relationship between Lennon and her boyfriend and felt like they were relatable characters

I liked them too.
Spoiler

As a Michigan grad, I definitely approved of the boyfriend's chosen team (but wondered who'd dressed him in a green and white (Michigan State's colors) hoodie for a scene).

Somebody

Somebody

Fanatic

• Interests:Stuff lol

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 12:55 AM

Ha! I found this show pretty funny. Obviously not the funniest show In the world but it made me laugh and I will keep watching. Although I'm not 100% where it can go or how long the whole situation can last but oh well.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 1:40 AM

I really wish I didn't know that Adam Pally was in the original pilot because all I could think about Luka was Adam Pally-light!

namrog

namrog

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 8:50 AM

I really wish I didn't know that Adam Pally was in the original pilot because all I could think about Luka was Adam Pally-light!

Met too. I saw the promos for the original pilot with Adam Pally in the role and some of his delivery was funnier, like calling the movie Steely Mags. But, I do think that Luka Jones will be good in the role once I see him in other episodes so there is no comparison between him and AP.

I kept thinking Luka Jones looks like a Colin Firth's American frat-bro dopplegänger and Jessica St. Clair looks like someone as well, but I can't figure out who it is.

Also, Fred Savage, who directed this episode and is a producer, is on this week's Comedy Bang Bang podcast. Lennon Parham and Jessica St. Clair are on the How Did This Get Made? podcast this week, and will be on next week as well.

Edited by namrog, Apr 5, 2012 @ 8:54 AM.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 9:52 AM

I kept thinking Luka Jones looks like a Colin Firth's American frat-bro dopplegänger

Me, too! That was one of the reasons I liked him!

We only lasted ten minutes. I loved Lennon and her boyfriend but didn't like Jessica at all, for the reasons noted above. I wanted her to go away so we could spend time with this appealing couple. Still, I like the idea of a 'Best Friends' relationship where the friends actually, you know, like each other. Maybe I'll give it another try after Jessica's had a chance to find her sea legs again.

3headedmonkey

3headedmonkey

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 12:16 PM

I like the idea of it, but won't get too attached since NBC's midseason shows have zero chance. It's nice that the couple is different than what you normally see on tv.

I didn't know Fallout had multiplayer.

KalEl

KalEl

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 1:43 PM

I enjoyed it too, but I won't get too attached as I enjoyed Bent too. At least they promoted this with an ounce of common sense.

SpringBarb

SpringBarb

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 8:52 PM

I didn't like Jessica for most of the pilot; the show was only redeemed for me when she realized that she was putting Lennon in a crappy position. I really liked Lennon and Luka's relationship.

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 3:38 PM

According to the AV Club, the show has a unique writing process: Lennon Parham and Jessica St Clair improv out the scenes, record it, then transcribe it and whittle it down to the best jokes.

I liked it a lot more than the AV Club reviewer. It did whipsaw a bit and it was very busy, but I would say it was a decent episode and as a sitcom pilot it was great. Pilots IMO really need a lot of slack given -- essentially grading on potential -- since there's so much burden of introducing new characters.

DrivingSideways

DrivingSideways

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 8:36 PM

I had low expectations and had read some bad reviews, and I thought this show was hilarious! I laughed the whole way through. I thought Jessica was awful but that could even be fun if they have her continue to be a thorn in the husband's side. The husband was such a trooper, loved him! Some of the jokes that seemed stale in the commercials, like Steely Mags and the sassy black girl, were way funnier in the context of the entire show. I was dying laughing at the interaction between Lennon and the girl next door, they seemed very natural and not a typical adult/child TV relationship.

Edited by DrivingSideways, Apr 7, 2012 @ 8:37 PM.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 10:07 AM

I liked it, but had a hard time believing Lennon is the same age as Jessica. I know their official ages are close, but something tells me Lennon is shaving some years off. She looks over 40 to me.

Mathewt

Mathewt

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 2:21 PM

I thought the first episode was pretty funny. I also was siding with the boyfriend pretty much all the time. I think the show might have benefited from a bit more backstory of the characters before we're introduced to the divorce. I kept getting hints of the long standing friendship of the women (and that other guy) being why Jessica was so thrown by her friend's relationship, but the vagueness just left her looking like a bit of a shrew to me.

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 3:07 PM

Here's a preview of tomorrow's episode. Also, I agree with Splitsider: Queenetta's great. I really liked the bit with her, Lennon, and Jessica in the pilot. "Nails done, hair done, everything did! Oh, you fancy, huh? You fancy!" Esp since Lennon's mouthing along by "hair done," and just joins right in on "oh you fancy."

JanLevinsonScot

JanLevinsonScot

Couch Potato

• Interests:Facebook, Posting in Forums

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 10:41 PM

I really enjoyed both episodes; Len and Jess have real BFF chemistry. The flip side of this is that it feels like we're in Season 2 and are missing major backstory. I have no idea who Rav is in Jess's life, what her marriage with Peter was like, and who is that, little black girl? Here is to much history missing ; I can't even appreciate the depth of Jessica and Lennon's friendship bc it feels like we're missing a couple of episodes.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 9:35 AM

I love their young neighbor & her apparently long-standing hatred of Jessica. It's even funnier that J hasn't been around for 3 years, so Q is holding a grudge from when she was 6.

Renard

Renard

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 11:09 AM

I love their young neighbor & her apparently long-standing hatred of Jessica. It's even funnier that J hasn't been around for 3 years, so Q is holding a grudge from when she was 6.

The show so far is barely above MEH and has some potential but THIS is the bright spot. I FLOVE the little girl and her attitude. I hope that she can develop into something and not just be the 2nd coming of Countess Vaughan.

The couple aren't really strong enough as characters or actors to really lead a series, IMHO; I'm finding Jess and the bartender to be much stronger. It reminds me of the imbalance that existed in Good Morning Miami where Mark Feurerstein and Ashley Williams (both of whom I love and have grown into strong actors, etc.) were overshadowed by much stronger characters and actors in Constance Zimmer, Matt Letscher and Suzanne Pleshette. I'm guessing that at some point in the pitch, they tried to invoke Mad About You with Lisa being a friend who moves in instead of a sister from across town but MAY worked because Paul and Jaime were such strong characters and actors on their own and could stand up to the zany cast around them.

Luckily it's on at a time with no competition, NOT an American Idol and.or Survivor viewer here, so they should be able to pick up some counterprogramming share because what else is anybody doing on Wednesday evening except laying low at home trying to make it through the next 2 days until the weekend. Handled correctly this can be solid although not a blockbuster. Otherwise it's sports and syndicated Burn Notice.

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 12:50 PM

I'm guessing that at some point in the pitch, they tried to invoke Mad About You with Lisa being a friend who moves in instead of a sister from across town

That is a good comparison, but I would say the titles indicate the difference. MAY was about Paul and Jamie first, with Ira, Lisa, etc as secondary characters. BFF is probably about Lennon and Jessica first, with Joe a close second.

Nobody

Nobody

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 10:04 AM

I'm really liking this show so far. I didn't see it advertised at all so I didn't know it existed until after the pilot was on. I got caught up online and enjoyed both episodes. The one thing I don't like is actually Queenetta. So far it feels too forced- like they needed someone wild who could throw out quotes and catch phrases. And though she is cute, I don't think the little girl is that great at delivering her lines. That, too, is quite forced. This might not make sense but it's like it's obvious she's acting. But that's just me...many here seem to love her. Maybe she'll grow on me.

Last night I watched part of a webchat that the two leads did for hellogiggles and it was pretty good. They are obviously very good friends and have worked hard to get this show on the air. I hope it continues to next season but since it's on NBC I don't know how likely that is.

Edited by Nobody, Apr 14, 2012 @ 10:05 AM.

Writer13

Writer13

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 9:08 PM

This show is okay--I'll keep watching. Q cracks me up--why does she hate Jessica so much?

Was Jessica's ex Brando from My Boys?

Bunny LaJoya

Bunny LaJoya

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 1:54 PM

I'm really really liking this show so far. I've seen two episodes and I'm hooked. Definitely didn't expect to like it but I do. Also, Rav is hot, and Q is the bee's knees.

stewedsquash

stewedsquash

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 9:33 PM

Well I guess it doesn't bode well for me that the only characters I like are the boyfriend, the deli shop man and Queenetta. I don't know, the two bff's just don't do it for me. First, they seem to "rehearsed" in their scenes if that makes sense. Second, and it is shallow, but the blonde one has that gummy mouth thing going on and it is all I can focus on. Third, already sick of the Braveheart schtick. So, I guess I am out as a viewer.

tinybaby

tinybaby

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 1:36 PM

I'm looking forward to tonight's ep ... the preview of Lennon hanging on the fire escape was hilarious.

One thing that I think is really interesting is that although this show has a lot of similarities to "Girls" (female lead[s] who also created and write the show, which is about friends dealing with life problems), it's gotten very little press outside of reviews. I feel like I can't turn around without seeing another article exploring to deep implications of "Girls" or about Lena Dunham, but I've seen very little about BFFs. Is it just that working hard for a long time to finally get your own show is less glamorous/interesting than coming out of nowhere? I don't mean that as a dig on Dunham or "Girls," I just don't have another explanation for it.

Actionmage

Actionmage

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 11:20 PM

JanLevinScot:

Len and Jess have real BFF chemistry. The flip side of this is that it feels like we're in Season 2 and are missing major backstory.

That's why I love the show- the feeling of true friendship; there is a reconnection and new layers for Len and Jen and the new levels for Joe and Jennifer. We'll be seeing glimpses of old school Lennon/Jennifer, like the Lazy Sunday brunches.

Rav? I like. Queeneta? Like whipped cream on the sundae.

Loved the ep tonight! J.K. Simmons was super as low-key Don. (He looked adorable in the Lion King cap.)Glad to see "Uncle Curls" lookin' good and still with his skillz!

ChromaKelly

ChromaKelly

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 9:33 AM

According to the AV Club, the show has a unique writing process: Lennon Parham and Jessica St Clair improv out the scenes, record it, then transcribe it and whittle it down to the best jokes.

That might explained the "rehearsed" vibe another poster pointed out, which I was feeling as well. I didn't care for the show, but will give it another chance. I must have missed the pilot, I thought last night's ep was the pilot, but I gather from the comments here it wasn't. Jessica delivered all her lines in this shouty voice and it started to grate. The boyfriend was kind of meh, I sided with the mom about quitting his job (in this economy?). I did like JK Simmons and his character.

namrog

namrog

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 11:07 AM

Jessica and Lennon were guests on the Comedy Bang Bang podcast this week. Jessica plays a recurring character on the podcast, an intern named Marissa Wompler. Lennon's character is Marissa's "teacher". It was really funny, and Jessica's previous appearances as the character are very funny as well.

Also, I just saw Jessica in a Marshall's commercial last night.

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 12:47 PM

I like the show a lot already, but if they can pull a Happy Endings and ditch the inciting premise (Jessica's divorce) ASAP, the show will probably get a lot better.

Mystery

Mystery

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 12:53 PM

I'm enjoying it so far. Luka's Colin Firth resemblance and Queenetta are interesting, and I like the fact that Jessica and Lennon have the chemistry that comes from actually being friends-- even the way they relate to each other physically lets you know they're used to being around each other. I like that the show doesn't just devolve into sitcom stereotypes. For instance, with the lady firefighter from last night. I expected the show to fall into one of the usual plots but instead she was just a believable person doing her job. I loved Lennon and Jessica calling her by her first name the whole time.