Family Affair: Uncle Bill, Uncle Bill!

• Please log in to reply

726 replies to this topic

mansonlamps

mansonlamps

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 10:56 AM

I would think that even if the twins didn't have memories of their parents, they would each have pictures of their nuclear family in their room at the very least. And, Cissy, in particular, would most certainly have some pictures displayed and would tell Buffy and Jody stories.

I always thought those kids seemed pretty well adjusted for having lost their parents tragically. I mean, Uncle Bill is great and all, but a teenager like Cissy would really miss her mother, especially during these particular difficult years of growing up.

This morning's episode reminded me...what ever happened to Puppy? I like how they got him special dispensation to live in the building yet...never seen again! Poor Buffy and Jody.

Milz

Milz

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 11:20 AM

60's & 70s tv: the kids on the Brady Bunch didn't have photos of their deceased mom or dad. And you never saw any photos of Partridge family's dad.

And in the 80s and 90s, you hardly heard anyone on Valerie's Family talk about Valerie...especially when the show became the Hogan Family.

And on Full House, I think they did one program where they talked about their mom. They not only had photos but also videos of the mom too. But they hadn't looked at them since she died.

Puppy probably went the same way as Tiger (the Brady's dog) and Simone (the Partridge's dog).

Edited by Milz, May 8, 2012 @ 11:24 AM.

needschocolate

needschocolate

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 11:38 AM

This morning's episode reminded me...what ever happened to Puppy? I like how they got him special dispensation to live in the building yet...never seen again! Poor Buffy and Jody.

Poor Puppy!

I can understand how in the early days of TV, no one expected these shows to be broadcast after the original airing. By the time FA was on, however, syndication was common, so they should have realized that viewers would know that they had done the dog not allowed in the building storyline before, but with a smaller dog. There is no way that none of the actors, writers, producers, etc, would forget they had a dog before. On the other hand, they seemed to have forgotten by the next episode.

And in the 80s and 90s, you hardly heard anyone on Valerie's Family talk about Valerie...especially when the show became the Hogan Family.

Yeah, but I don't think the producers were too happy with Valerie Harper leaving, so it may have been a tad vindictive.

Milz

Milz

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 12:16 PM

That whole Valerie-Valerie's Family-Hogan Family thing was a real soap opera!

But back to tv continuity...."Daniel Boone" is horrible at that. One episode it's 5 years before the Revolution and Israel Boone is 8 years old. The next episode it's 10 years after the Revolution and Israel Boone is 8 years old. The next episode it's during the Revolution, and Israel Boone is 10 years old. And Jemima Boone and Mingo went the way of Puppy, Tiger, and Simone.

PattyorSelma

PattyorSelma

Video Archivist

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 2:42 PM

I wondered about the fate of Puppy too. Mr. French went far above and beyond the call of duty yet again. He sure suffered a lot due to the "word" of Jody with the clipped whiskers but a secret that could not be told and Uncle Bill, who would have been justified in telling the kids that he could not allow a huge dog to stay in the apartment. I did like that nobody wanted the dog's heart to be broken, though. That was nice.

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 3:41 PM

60's & 70s tv: the kids on the Brady Bunch didn't have photos of their deceased mom or dad.

Sherwood Schwartz said that he envisioned Carol Brady as being divorced, and that she was TV's first divorcee, but the network wouldn't allow it, so it was never stated. The dialogue in the pilot is vague. She says something like, "A year ago I thought it was the end of the world; now everything is just beginning." However, if the girls' father were still alive, it seems had to believe that he would never try to contact them or that the girls would never be curious about his whereabouts. On the other hand, they did show a photo of the boys' mother in the pilot and Mike explained to Bobby that she would always be his mother and his marrying Carol didn't take away from that.

I missed today's Family Affair episode. It sounds like it was another stray dog episode. They showed a stray dog episode just a few weeks ago -- the one where Mr. French put the dog out on the sidewalk -- and that dog disappeared. I don't think the Davis children should have any more pets.

needschocolate

needschocolate

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 5:26 PM

I missed today's Family Affair episode. It sounds like it was another stray dog episode.

Not a stray - taking care of a friend's dog for 3 days instead. The twins trick Uncle Bill into it by asking if Oliver could stay over, not telling him that Oliver is a dog - a big dog that apparently didn't like Uncle Bill, even though his tail did a happy wag every time he ran toward Bill (darn animal actors). But a man's word is a man's word even if someone was deceptful, so they have to take care of the dog. The dog gets loose then gets found, Uncle Bill falls asleep at work twice, and Mr. French spends the night at the kennel. In the end, the twins confess to misleading Uncle Bill on purpose and they punish themselves with no dessert nor TV for a week. Then they ask their uncle if he still likes them, and he says "No" - long pause, then breaks into a grin and the three of them dissolve into hugs on the couch. A rather full episode, now that I think about it.

The ending made me realize what good actors they all were - the affection seemed very real (then again, maybe it was). BK had the gruff on the outside but a softie on the inside down perfectly.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 6:11 PM

So does anyone remember the answers to the questions I asked on the last page? :-)

The twins were about 6 when they first went to live with Uncle Bill, is that right? So when did their parents die and for how long had they been shuttled around between other relatives before landing in Manhattan?

needschocolate

needschocolate

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 10:56 PM

I believe they were 6 and Cissy was 15. Even though they are in the third season, I think they are now supposed to be 7 and 16. I think I remember them saying that the parents had been dead for a year. I am not sure how much they were shuttled around, only that they were not all together and the uncle Buffy stayed with did not like Buffy becasue she was strong-willed. She was blood-related to his wife, her aunt, but I don't know if it was the mom's side or the dad's (Bill's sister or his brother's sister-in-law).

Buffy is not what I would call a strong-willed child.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 8:31 AM

Thanks, needschocolate. I would think that Jody would remember what his mother looks like if he was 5 when she passed, but the episode with June Lockhart was still sweet.

Uncle Bill and Mr. French really are big softies, sometimes. I would not have been nearly as understanding about "Oliver"!

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 10:46 AM

Well, today they showed the tearjerker, "Christmas Came A Little Early", featuring Eve Plumb as Buffy's dying friend.

Damn, even I began tearing up by the end!

PattyorSelma

PattyorSelma

Video Archivist

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 1:00 PM

magicdog, me too! That was very sad. When Uncle Bill told Mr. French that it was a good thing the kids were too young to understand that the early Christmas was just for the friend, and then he found Buffy sobbing on Mrs. Beasley, well...that was heartbreaking! If I saw that ep as a child, I must have totally missed the point. I don't remember ever feeling sad while watching this show.

Edited by PattyorSelma, May 9, 2012 @ 1:01 PM.

Milz

Milz

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 1:04 PM

She was blood-related to his wife, her aunt, but I don't know if it was the mom's side or the dad's (Bill's sister or his brother's sister-in-law).

I don't think Aunt Fran was Bill's sister. I remember the episode where she tried to get the kids back and Bill didn't introduce her to French (French's brother) as "my sister".

The ending made me realize what good actors they all were - the affection seemed very real (then again, maybe it was). BK had the gruff on the outside but a softie on the inside down perfectly.

Johnny Whittaker said in the DVD interview that Brian Keith liked them and would invite them to his home to play with his children. Johnny even said he and BK would play catch on the set between takes. So I think the affection you see is real.

Edited by Milz, May 9, 2012 @ 1:58 PM.

mansonlamps

mansonlamps

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 3:00 PM

Buffy is not what I would call a strong-willed child

I would agree, but they certainly seem to figure out how to get their own way without getting into trouble!

I'm surprised that Brian Keith and the kids were that friendly (though I've heard that too) since he, like Fred McMurray on My Three Sons, apparently filmed his scenes for the whole season at once so he could do movies or other work. It would seem they didn't spend all that much time together.

I'm glad Anissa Jones at least had Brian Keith and, hopefully Sebastian Cabot, as decent role models in her young life, though it didn't work out in the end. It's like Shirley Jones kind of adopting Danny Bonaduce to offer him a respite from his allegedly horrible home life.

Milz

Milz

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 3:24 PM

I'm glad Anissa Jones at least had Brian Keith

If you youtube one of Johnny Whittaker's interviews about Anissa, he said that after Family Affair, she fell in with the wrong crowd. But I remember reading somewhere that BK offered Anissa a role on a new tv show he was doing post-FA.

mansonlamps

mansonlamps

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 3:54 PM

But I remember reading somewhere that BK offered Anissa a role on a new tv show he was doing post-FA.

That must have been the show where he played a pediatrician in Hawaii. Too bad she didn't take him up on it.

I thought Anissa's problems were mainly caused by her overbearing stage mom and absentee dad. Who knows what happened for sure, but it certainly is tragic.

Albanyguy

Albanyguy

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 4:05 PM

I don't think Aunt Fran was Bill's sister. I remember the episode where she tried to get the kids back and Bill didn't introduce her to French (French's brother) as "my sister".

IIRC, Bill and Fran seemed barely acquainted with each other, which would make sense if she was his brother's wife's sister. They may only have met before at the wedding and then later at the funerals. There was no sense of a shared history as there would have been if she was Bill's sister.

I'm glad Anissa Jones at least had Brian Keith and, hopefully Sebastian Cabot, as decent role models in her young life, though it didn't work out in the end. It's like Shirley Jones kind of adopting Danny Bonaduce to offer him a respite from his allegedly horrible home life.

Or like Patty Duke whose TV parents, William Schallert and Jean Byron, were a comforting presence during her unhappy adolescence and who remained close to her through the years.

Edited by Albanyguy, May 9, 2012 @ 4:06 PM.

Milz

Milz

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 10:23 AM

Here's the Johnny Whittaker interview on an old Geraldo Rivera show.
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=MFKd7teNQvQ

Very sad.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 10:25 AM

Well, today they showed the tearjerker, "Christmas Came A Little Early", featuring Eve Plumb as Buffy's dying friend.

Damn, even I began tearing up by the end!

Pass the Kleenex. It got to me, too.

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 10:46 AM

I just caught today's ep, "Ciao, Uncle Bill" in which yet again the kids think Uncle Bill doesn't want them. This time he calls from Italy (having just become engaged to an Italian aristocrat) and only mentions Mr. French having to come over and manage things at the new household, but not the kids.

I don't know why the kids should continue thinking this since it wasn't that long ago, "Aunt Fran" tried to take them back to Indiana and (thanks to another misunderstanding) the kids thought Bill wanted them to go. Uncle Bill made it clear by episode's end that he wanted the kids with him. By now they'd lived with him between 18 months and 2 years; if he didn't want them, he would have sent them away long before this point. Maybe I can understand if the twins thought it, but certainly Cissy was old enough to think they were very much wanted by now.

I didn't realize how many eps seemed to follow the same formula of the kids thinking Uncle Bill didn't want them, or choosing to not tell him when there was a serious issue in the household! I know the times were different and consistency in storylines wasn't always a priority, but things were way more repetative!!

Milz

Milz

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 11:53 AM

i remember that episode. I think they got the idea they (including Mr. French) were not wanted because Bill didn't really mention them in his plans. And as it turns out, the fiancee didn't want them.

PattyorSelma

PattyorSelma

Video Archivist

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 2:42 PM

I find it very hard to believe that Uncle Bill would go to Italy for business and decide to get married. He would have gone back to New York, talked to the kids and Mr. French, mulled it over, and then he would have broken it off because he would have realized the kids needed to stay in New York and not be uprooted to Italy.

Very strange and "out there" episode!

mansonlamps

mansonlamps

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 3:43 PM

Gross, the actress playing Luciana was half Uncle Bill's age practically. I know that was common back then - and still is for that matter, but ew. Uncle Bill is a nice guy, but why can't he find, say, a nice woman in her mid to upper thirties (still way younger than him, but not in daughter territory).

Meredith

Meredith

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 6:48 AM

Gross, the actress playing Luciana was half Uncle Bill's age practically.

LOL When I saw her I thought she looked about as young as Cissy.

Milz

Milz

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 8:24 AM

Uncle Bill is a nice guy, but why can't he find, say, a nice woman in her mid to upper thirties (still way younger than him, but not in daughter territory).

lol. I think Bill is supposed to be in his late 30s to early 40s. When I was a kid watching the reruns, he looked like any adult to me. But when I rewatched the series a couple of years ago....wow, Bill is hot!

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 8:27 AM

For me, the best part of the Italian engagement episode was hearing Buffy and Jody refer to "Uncle French," and seeing them take on baking and dog-sitting to help out their impending financial situation. I had a feeling that even those young actors knew how ridiculous this storyline was, but just had fun with the over-the-top-ness of it.

I think Bill is supposed to be in his late 30s to early 40s.

Brian Keith was 44 when the series debuted. I think he looked it.

Milz

Milz

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 10:39 AM

I think they tried to make him look a bit younger than mid-40s because in the first season, his toupee was very blond. Towards the end of the series, the toupee wasn't quite as blond. But, he was still hot!

Meredith

Meredith

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 11:31 AM

the best part of the Italian engagement episode was hearing Buffy and Jody refer to "Uncle French," and seeing them take on baking and dog-sitting to help out their impending financial situation.

It was so heartwarming to know that Uncle French would not go to Italy without the kids... and I loved the exchange between Buffy and Jody in the kitchen when he came in with that large beast! LOL

Edited by Meredith, May 15, 2012 @ 11:32 AM.

Milz

Milz

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 11:58 AM

It's too bad they never did much on Bill's background. Okay, we know he's their father's brother. We know he worked as a construction worker (the episode with the working class kids who eat bread and butter or bread and sugar as a snack), that he had originally had a business partner in the construction business, and that he's an engineer.

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 2:27 PM

When I was a kid watching the reruns, he looked like any adult to me. But when I rewatched the series a couple of years ago....wow, Bill is hot!

Totally understand that! I feel the same way about Chuck Connors (le sigh!)

It's too bad they never did much on Bill's background. Okay, we know he's their father's brother. We know he worked as a construction worker (the episode with the working class kids who eat bread and butter or bread and sugar as a snack), that he had originally had a business partner in the construction business, and that he's an engineer.

I think he was also a WWII veteran.

I also remember an ep in which a woman who knew Bill and his family mentioned the car he drove, how he'd barely keep enough gas in the tank at any time and would give anyone he saw a ride in it!