Family Affair: Uncle Bill, Uncle Bill!

• Please log in to reply

726 replies to this topic

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 10:48 AM

Yesterday's lesson: Other people's children are brats. :-)

But golly, people jumped to the marriage conclusion quickly in this series. It makes the courtship of Don Draper and Megan Calvet look almost leisurely. LOL!

needschocolate

needschocolate

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 8:11 PM

people jumped to the marriage conclusion quickly in this series

Must have been a 1960's sitcom tradition - Petticoat Junction had Steve and Betty Jo kiss, decide they were in love, and get engaged over the course of 3 consecutive episodes.

When looking up info on Petticoat Junction I discoved that Mike Minor, who played Steve on PJ, was the son of Don Fedderson, producer of Family Affair. According to IMDBm, he never appaered on Family Affair - I guess he was too old to be one of Cissy's dates.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 8:20 AM

Poor French. I was hoping he'd meet some spicy mamacita on his tour of the wild west; instead, he has to continuing playing Nanny and doing what the kids want. I hope Uncle Bill gave him at least another week of time off!

Gregg Fedderson, Mike Minor's younger brother, appeared in several FA episodes. We should see him turn up in To Love with Buffy from Season 3 in a few weeks on MeTV. Then he had a recurring role as "Gregg" in Seasons 4 and 5.

Milz

Milz

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 9:16 AM

Gregg, Cissy's boyfriend who Uncle Bill barely tolerated. In some Uncle Bill-Gregg scenes you can almost see Bill's stomach churning. :-)

Edited by Milz, Apr 26, 2012 @ 9:18 AM.

Corporal Agarn

Corporal Agarn

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 7:37 AM

I admit that, in general, dolls cause irrational fear in me. But Mrs. Beasley is one especially freakishly disturbing doll.

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 9:23 AM

In today's episode, I knew that Sharon's mother's voice sounded familiar, and then it dawned on me who she was... Carolyn Appleby (Doris Singleton), Lucy's frenemy on I Love Lucy!

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 9:54 AM

I loved "Ava's" bouffant hair-do yesterday. That Lana is a whiz with curlers and a teasing comb.

But in truth, I did enjoy the episode. It made a nice point about kids needing direction and boundaries without going overboard. Loved Lana (who looked a bit like a live-action version of Peppermint Patty) calling Mr. French for permission to watch an afternoon movie. And damn, Anissa Jones was just so adorable and real as Buffy.

Meredith

Meredith

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 10:16 AM

I loved "Ava's" bouffant hair-do yesterday. That Lana is a whiz with curlers and a teasing comb.

But in truth, I did enjoy the episode. It made a nice point about kids needing direction and boundaries without going overboard. Loved Lana (who looked a bit like a live-action version of Peppermint Patty) calling Mr. French for permission to watch an afternoon movie. And damn, Anissa Jones was just so adorable and real as Buffy.

All of this... I enjoyed the episode, Buffy and Buffy's bouffant hair-do so much I didn't delete it off the dvr LOL!

needschocolate

needschocolate

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 12:46 PM

So was Ava supposed to be Buffy's real name or was it just what Lana and Buffy decided to use as a "grown-up" name? (Lana Turner and Ava Gardner come to mind).

Milz

Milz

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 2:54 PM

So was Ava supposed to be Buffy's real name or was it just what Lana and Buffy decided to use as a "grown-up" name? (Lana Turner and Ava Gardner come to mind).

It's a made up name.

It was on wikipedia for a while that Buffy's name was Ava Elizabeth Davis. But it was edited out http://en.wikipedia....action=history.

I still don't understand wiki's entry for the Davis' children's last name "Patterson Davis". Their father was Bill's brother. And in the 1960s, having 2 last names wasn't a common practice.

needschocolate

needschocolate

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 3:20 PM

IMdB still lists her as Ava Elizabeth 'Buffy' Patterson Davis. Jody is Jonathan and Cissy is Catherine. I think someone upthread mentioned that in one episode they say that Cissy's real name was Catherine.

No idea where Patterson comes from. Atlhough I am surprised they didn't have them be Bill's sister's kids so that they could havee en episode where he legally adopts them and everyone is worried about someone being unhappy with the name change. At the end Jody could ask if Mr. French is changing his name too since he is part of the family.

I substitute teach in elementary school and since I have started re-watching this show, I find myself wanting to say things like "We musn't tattle on our friends." So far, I have been able to hold back.

Milz

Milz

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 3:57 PM

I think someone upthread mentioned that in one episode they say that Cissy's real name was Catherine.

I think that was the episode where Cissy was engaged to marry some guy from Europe...Germany or Switzerland. Her future mother-in-law calls her Catherine.

And I vaguely remember there's an episode where Mr. French explains to someone that Jody's name is Jonathan.

I kind of like that they are Bill's brother's kids. And we know from the first episode that Uncle Bill looks like his brother, because when Bill is telling Buffy he can't keep her, she tells him that he looks like her Daddy, and Bill just melts.

But in "Bachelor Father", Kelly is Bentley Gregg's sister's daughter. And in the first or second episode, he explains that his sister died and he adopted Kelly.

oceanblue

oceanblue

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 9:52 PM

IMdB still lists her as Ava Elizabeth 'Buffy' Patterson Davis. Jody is Jonathan and Cissy is Catherine. I think someone upthread mentioned that in one episode they say that Cissy's real name was Catherine.

Those are bizarre nicknames for those real names. They surely could have gotten an episode out of explaining how they came to be.

Edited by oceanblue, May 2, 2012 @ 9:53 PM.

Milz

Milz

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:09 AM

"Buffy" was the childhood nickname of the late Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother. I suspect it was used as a nickname for Elizabeth long before the Queen Mum was born.

I would think Jody is short for Joseph and Cissy is short for Cecilia or Alice. But then, my nickname is Milz (pronounced "mills"). People think it's short for Millicent or Melissa, but my given name is Emilia. My elder siblings (brothers) thought that Emmy sounded as girly as Emilia, Em sounded too stupid, but Milz sounded tougher.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:01 AM

The resolution of yesterday's episode was kind of weird. So Jody essentially doesn't get punished for cutting some of Mr. French's whiskers because he was being a man by not betraying a secret? I'm not sure what one thing has to do with the other. He still carried out a despicable act.

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:22 AM

Just caught today's ep which featured a love struck Cissy being wooed by a Viennese aristocrat's son named Karl.

I don't know what bugged me more; Cissy insisting she was in love with the kid and wanted to marry him yesterday, or that his parents and other aristos at her introduction were so accepting of her! Just being American would be enough to have them reject her as a suitable wife for Karl. Class and all that.

Worst of all I'm not really sure if Karl loved her or not. Cissy finally realized she was "in love with being in love" but Karl really seemed to like her; I suppose liking one's spouse makes one ahead of the game in his aristocratic circle.

Edited by magicdog, May 3, 2012 @ 10:24 AM.

Milz

Milz

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 11:03 AM

that's the episode where we learn her given name is Catherine.

Considering Uncle Bill is wealthy (owns a construction company that does national and overseas construction), the prospect of all that American money would temper any prejudices concerning Cissy's non-aristocratic roots. Grace Kelly, Lee Radziwill, and a few others married European royalty.

needschocolate

needschocolate

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 11:41 AM

I think someone upthread mentioned that in one episode they say that Cissy's real name was Catherine.

I think that was the episode where Cissy was engaged to marry some guy from Europe...Germany or Switzerland. Her future mother-in-law calls her Catherine.

And this morning they show the episode with the potential Austrian mother-in-law calling Cissy Catherine - good timing.

That said, I thought this morning's episode (17-year-old Cissy wanting to marry a guy she has known for 3 months and then move to Austria) was ridiculous. Seems like it was written by someone who hadn't watched the show before.

Today's episode was the third episode of the 3rd season. The first one was the latch key kid where Buffy decides she wants to be more grown up. Next Cissy decides she is grown up enough to marry and move away. And now Jody thinks he is all grown up. I sense a pattern...

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 12:04 PM

Cissy is not uncommon for a nickname for a sister. Especially an older sister. I can see the twins giving her that nickname.

PattyorSelma

PattyorSelma

Video Archivist

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 12:29 PM

I'm still shocked over those neighborhood boys showing up at the door to confess everything, say they were hard on Jody, and to apologize for demanding that he do something so mean. Can a pack of kids just wander up to the door like that? Add in the horrible accents those kids had, and it was pretty hilarious.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 2:27 PM

Also shocked that Buffy so quickly went from "Jody, you shouldn't cut Mr. French's whiskers" to "Jody, let me help you cut his whiskers." Maybe the bouffant hairdo had some lingering effects. I'm still cracking up at the visual of teeny-tiny Buffy with that biiiiig hair.

PattyorSelma

PattyorSelma

Video Archivist

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 2:52 PM

The hair was hilarious.
I expected Jody to lop off a huge chunk of whiskers that would leave Mr. French baffled since he was so proud of the precise styling.

Meredith

Meredith

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 8:07 AM

I'm still cracking up at the visual of teeny-tiny Buffy with that biiiiig hair.

LOL I watched this again and laughed as much... I also loved seeing Buffy walking around in Lana's mom's heels... HILARIOUS!!

I saw a clip of the first episode when Buffy came to Bill... I crack up when Buffy tells Mr French... my name! is Buffy!! the look on her face coupled with her tone sent me into giggles...

I also melt when she tells Bill you look just like my daddy... aw her cute little face and that adorable voice... I.MELT!!

I have GOT to order season 1!!

Edited by Meredith, May 4, 2012 @ 8:08 AM.

MHSWeb79

MHSWeb79

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:13 AM

So does that make Buffy's real name "Bufferin?"

Milz

Milz

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:35 AM

You all are watching Season 3, right?

Keep an eye out for Cissy's dates this season because one of them is Jerry Mathers (AKA Beaver Cleaver). He just has a walk-on role/cameo.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 2:43 PM

Was "Cissy" a derivitive of "sister"?

PattyorSelma

PattyorSelma

Video Archivist

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:56 AM

Awww, today's ep was so sweet. Jody didn't realize that the substitute teacher looked just like his mother but he wanted to be around her all the time. Cissy saw it right away but Uncle Bill didn't see it until Cissy brought out a photo. Loved the baby pics of Buffy and Jody. Super cute.

Milz

Milz

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 1:42 PM

Yup. Their mom looked like Mrs. Robinson on "Lost in Space" or Timmy's mom on "Lassie" and their father looked like Uncle Bill.

It doesn't surprise me that Bill didn't see it right away because in an early episode, he said something like he and his brother were close growing up, but didn't see each other much when they were older.

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 2:56 PM

Yup. Their mom looked like Mrs. Robinson on "Lost in Space" or Timmy's mom on "Lassie"

Or like Dr. Janet Craig on Petticoat Junction! I love June Lockhart.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 9:10 AM

The twins were about 6 when they first went to live with Uncle Bill, is that right? So when did their parents die and for how long had they been shuttled around between other relatives before landing in Manhattan? I would think if they were 5 or even 4 when the deaths occurred, they would have some memory of how their mother looked. And wouldn't they have some photos of her, besides the one that Cissy was hoarding for her research?

Anyway, it was a touching episode, and June Lockhart plays sweet very well.