7-19: "The Broath" 2012.03.19

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

62 replies to this topic

TWoP Roxy

TWoP Roxy

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 10:48 AM

From comcast:

The gang try to break up Barney and Quinn after learning that the couple plan to move in together. Meanwhile, Ted and Robin argue over subletting her apartment.

enlightenedbum

enlightenedbum

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 7:35 PM

Who am I supposed to be rooting for?

Also way to mock your audience, show.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 7:49 PM

Has Ted forgotten he owns a home in Westchester? Why would he be living in student housing? I can't imagine a professor/lecturer/whatever Ted is would be allowed to live in the dorm with students at Columbia.

Wouldn't Quinn have any friends of her own to sublet her rent controlled apartment to? To say nothing of the fact that she's too young to have a rent controlled apartment & subletting is illegal.

How stupid does this show think we are?

Edited by braggtastic, Mar 19, 2012 @ 7:49 PM.

Pache

Pache

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 8:02 PM

Has Ted forgotten he owns a home in Westchester? Why would he be living in student housing? I can't imagine a professor/lecturer/whatever Ted is would be allowed to live in the dorm with students at Columbia.

Ted's house was destroyed during the hurricane. It was part of the irony that they stayed in New York City that a tree fell on his house in Weschester. Since Ted couldn't afford the repairs to the house before a tree fell on it, he probably doesn't have the money to fix up all the damage. Heck even with insurance, it takes time to fix a house that had a tree dropped on it.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 8:15 PM

I guess I forgot then.

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 8:24 PM

Ok, so I'm a very new viewer to the show. I started watching it over March Break last week and just for fun, I decided to watch the last two season 7 episodes and this one, although I'm only on season 3. Seeing the promo for this episode did make me very confused because at least for me, Barney seemed so out of character. Although again, I haven't seen season 6 or most of season 7 so I'm not positive how he's acted these last two seasons.

Even when I was watching the episode, I was very confused and a little disappointed that Barney was so 'whipped'. Even though it ended up to be a joke at the end, I agree with the gang when they said Barney and Quinn were moving way too quickly. And you can just tell Barney was thinking about marriage in that last scene, which is weird because he's always been against marriage. Ack, I know that there's gonna be a future wedding where Ted meets the mother and Barney is the groom, so I'm hoping it's not Quinn. Great actress, but I'm not liking Quinn or Quinn/Barney. Barney's always been the bachelor, so it's strange to see him ready to move in with a girl who he met...how long ago? A month?

I guess watching season 1-3 and then coming to watch season 7 has made the humour in the episode not so funny. I didn't laugh much, except at the Broath and the ninja sequence.

Astor

Astor

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 8:30 PM

The title is stupid sounding. The word Broath. It sounds like something you'd call in sick for.

"I can't go to work today. I got a broath on my neck."
"My father had that last Spring. Feel better."

Seriously though, the whole Princess Bride ending was uncomfortable to watch. The "I-know-that-you-know-that-I-know" schtick were Barney figures out what everyone would do and plans it all out accordingly really wore its welcome after the Christmas episode with Ted's sister.

Ted and Robin's problem seemed completely stupid and every time they spoke I wanted to punch them in the face. Their own problems were 100 percent self inflicted. Maybe you shouldn't move out with no plans. And maybe you shouldn't give away your home without a backup. Fuck them both.

Re: Subletting -

http://www.housingny...subletting.html

Doesn't look illegal to me, but then again I don't know much about laws

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 8:38 PM

She said rent controlled, not rent stabilized. Big difference.

Cerpintaxt815

Cerpintaxt815

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 8:47 PM

Hehe I loved Ted Marshall and Lily's college doppelgängers

"I was NEVER like you!!"

Edited by Cerpintaxt815, Mar 19, 2012 @ 8:48 PM.

brybry

brybry

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 8:50 PM

Ted and Robin's problem seemed completely stupid and every time they spoke I wanted to punch them in the face. Their own problems were 100 percent self inflicted. Maybe you shouldn't move out with no plans. And maybe you shouldn't give away your home without a backup. Fuck them both.

Well the argument wasn't really about an apartment.

tone

tone

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 8:58 PM

I really didn't find tonight's ep all that bad. Far better than some of the previous eps. I like how Quinn has a personality compared to Nora. That, and how she plotted with Barney to get the gang back.

Edited by tone, Mar 19, 2012 @ 9:07 PM.

GenieinTX

GenieinTX

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 9:03 PM

I really didn't find tonight's ep all that bad. Far better than some of the previous eps.

Agreed. Surprisingly, I like Quinn. I like that she and Barney high five and she pulls "Wait for it" on him. I also really liked the ninja scene. Overall, better than most lately.

brybry

brybry

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 9:16 PM

I'm happy that Robin and Ted are finally dealing with their relationship in a real way.....by not seeing each other. It always bothered me that they just continued being friends, with them dating other people, living together, her relationship with Barney etc. It really defied belief.

Edited by brybry, Mar 20, 2012 @ 12:02 AM.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 9:40 PM

I have to wonder if Cobie is going to be gone for a few weeks? Or how will she still be on the show if she doesn't have any scenes with Josh?

gpgurl50

gpgurl50

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 9:49 PM

Wouldn't Quinn have any friends of her own to sublet her rent controlled apartment to? To say nothing of the fact that she's too young to have a rent controlled apartment & subletting is illegal.

I actually know some college professors who live in student housing so that is something that happens.

Also, given the way Quinn worked Barney, I wouldn't be surprised if she worked some old guy out of his place.

couchspudstud

couchspudstud

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 9:52 PM

So is nobody living in the LI house that Marshall and Lily just moved out of? I can't imagine they sold it that quickly, Ted or Robin could have lived there.
How is it that Ted has known Barney was dating a stripper for a few weeks now and managed to not tell the rest of the group, but all of a sudden he can't keep from telling them. I find it hard to believe Barney could date someone for a few weeks without everyone having met her, the way these people always seem to be in each others business.

brybry

brybry

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 10:28 PM

"The one person I want to talk to the most won't even look me in the eye anymore." --Robin.

scarlet revised

scarlet revised

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 10:37 PM

Yeah, How I Met Your Mother has officially jumped the shark. I didn't laugh once and actually winced throughout the episode. It felt like a show trying to imitate itself.

that kat

that kat

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 10:48 PM

Barney had a fake wife and kid that the gang never knew about. Barney and Robin were fooling around on the sly before Lily wised up to it and forced them into a relationship. So, Barney's proven that he can compartmentalize and keep things from the gang.

Quinn (and I noticed Future!Ted didn't say "Aunt Quinn") is a good fit for Barney and the show. It'll actually be sad to see this character go, if she goes. Quinn might actually be the one that bridges Hippie Barney and Sleazy Barney, completing his character transformation.

The Ted/Robin scenes felt flat. Ted was being way selfish in his behavior towards her for little reason. Robin's been through a LOT and he's still "Oh, I love you and you don't love me back so I can't be around you anymore." No wonder it's taking so long to meet the mother! But then Robin's still being written oddly. She's got no reaction to Barney/Quinn? Or are we going to see her secretly crying under her desk again? I hope she adopts a bunch of fancy dogs for her fancy new apartment. (Did Barney find out that Robin can't have kids or just that she wasn't pregnant?)

Really tired of all the house-swapping/moving. That kind of stuff is natural in life...moving out of starter apartments and into grown-up homes, but the show just jammed a lot of it into this season. Marshall and Lily have to do work to set up a third nursery? (Assuming they fixed up a room in the old apartment, and then in the house.) Unrelated, but where's Lily's mother? We've seen Marshall's mom being meddlesome, but wouldn't Lily's mom make a few appearances during her daughter's pregnancy? What happened with Lily's dad and the house?

It really feels like the writers this season had some ideas and then dropped them out of boredom. And then decided to bore the audience. Quinn is by far the best thing about the season, and that's probably a credit to Becki Newton than to the writers.

kkowalski

kkowalski

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 11:13 PM

Marshall and Lily have to do work to set up a third nursery?

I believe Ted fixed up Robin's old bedroom into a nursery.

Syma

Syma

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 11:38 PM

I hate how the writers are just ignoring what's happened between Barney and Robin. They don't have to be together, but there should be some tension between them, and she should have been more worried about him than the apartment.

I know that Robin and Ted have a long history, but I felt like some of the underlying tension between them tonight should have been there for Barney and Robin.

When did this show start using an annoying laugh track? I wonder if it was around the same time that they ran out of funny storyline ideas for Lilly and Marshall.

The Quinn and Barney relationship still doesn't make any sense to me. Even with tonight's episode, I still don't feel like the writers have taken the time to develop that relationship, so why should I care about it.

pastinfinity

pastinfinity

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 1:30 AM

Surprisingly I really enjoyed that episode. I'm also really enjoying Quinn/Barney--but I can't help it, I just love watching slightly nefarious scheming couples on my screen. ;) Barney and his "fake history lessons" crack me up every time too!

CantThinkUpName

CantThinkUpName

Stalker

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 3:32 AM

Something that bothered me about this episode, and there may have been some dialogue that explained it away, but why were Ted, Robin, Lily, and Marshall kicking themselves for their attitude towards Quinn? Even if she had purchased a Hawaiian trip for them, would it really count against her treating Barney like garbage the entire night?

MsSweatpants

MsSweatpants

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 7:34 AM

Something that bothered me about this episode, and there may have been some dialogue that explained it away, but why were Ted, Robin, Lily, and Marshall kicking themselves for their attitude towards Quinn? Even if she had purchased a Hawaiian trip for them, would it really count against her treating Barney like garbage the entire night?

Well, the Hawaii trip was for Barney, not the rest of the group. She was planning to surprise him with an expensive vacation, and Lily spoiled it by snooping and using it as evidence that Quinn was a gold digger. My take was that the gang realized that if Lily misinterpreted that "evidence," maybe they were all rushing to judgment about other things, too.

(And of course it was all a ruse anyway--- but they didn't know that yet.)

The other thing is that Ted is an unreliable narrator. Just because he describes Barney asking permission to use the bathroom doesn't mean it actually happened that way-- Ted often exaggerates. In this case, we found out it really WAS that bad, but part of the joke. Still, when Ted describes things like that, I take it with a grain of salt.

CantThinkUpName

CantThinkUpName

Stalker

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 9:30 AM

I wanted to clarify that by them I meant Barney/Quinn. And I know Ted often exaggerates, but even if he did, I took the point of that scene to be that Quinn demeaned Barney in front of his friends, which can be done in both subtle and big ways. If they spend an evening with Barney and see Quinn deriding him and taking all the fight away from him, I don't see how a trip to Hawaii would cause them to think they were all wrong. Maybe slightly re-evaluate their position on her, but not enough to completely discount everything they saw a couple of hours before.

Syma

Syma

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 9:37 AM

This bothered me too, especially how Ted and Robin didn't seem to care. Actually, since Lilly and Marshall also had their side argument, none of them seemed to care that she was mistreating him. It may have been Ted who brushed it off by saying that Barney is whipped. It was out of character for all of them to just act like Quinn's behavior wasn't borderline abusive.

TiffanyNichelle

TiffanyNichelle

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 12:04 PM

I really liked Quinn in this episode. I didn't really like her first two episodes but this one made me really like her and her relationship with Barney. Loved that she wanted to mess with friends.

jbreckenridge

jbreckenridge

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 12:10 PM

This episode has me wondering if maybe The Wedding is just another evil fake-out by Quinn and Barney.

ChromaKelly

ChromaKelly

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 12:12 PM

Plot point that didn't make sense (I know, most of it didn't, but anyway...) Why were Ted and Robin continuing to vie for Quinn's apartment while they agreed that she was all wrong for Barney and were planning the "Quinntervention". Quinn's apartment would be available because she's moving in with Barney. So, if they want Barney to break up with her, the apt would no longer be up for grabs.

Ferocita72

Ferocita72

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 12:16 PM

would it really count against her treating Barney like garbage the entire night?

Barney and Quinn later said that her behavior was part of their plan to confirm the group's suspicions and she doesn't actually treat him that way.

I really wanted to like it, but the overt winking at past jokes that have now been totally run into the ground really bummed me out. I am curious about Robin and Ted but really just want to get some Robin and Barney resolution.