Genre: Fairytales. Alice In Wonderfuland, Snow White and more..

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

28 replies to this topic

glorygirl84

glorygirl84

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 9:20 AM

I have noticed how mainstream and popular fairytales are becomming lately. Between tv shows like Grim, Once Upon A Time and movies like Alice In Wonderland, and now Mirror Mirror and Snow White and The Huntsman. I wanted to discuss any and all things fairytale movie related.

I really liked the adaputaion of Alice In Wonderland. Helen Abonum Cater was fantastic as Queen of Hearts and Johnny Depp was equally great as the Mad Hatter. I even liked Anne Hathaway as the good queen. The movie was really popular and just an all around good time.

I have seen trailers for both Mirror Mirror and Snow White and The Huntsman. I am not looking forward to Mirror Mirror, I just cannot stand Julia Roberts anymore and the whole thing looks so disney and campy.

SWATH
however looks wicked awesome, even with Kristen Stewart as Snow White. She actually seems decent and capable in this. Charliez is sure to be great as the evil queen and I cannot wait to see Chris Hemsworth as Huntsman. I am wondering if given the casting for hunstman if thier will be a love triangle with his character, snowwhite and the prince. I am curious what all the actors will do with their roles and how their chemistry will be. I love the actiony, gothic, midevil undertones of this and that it is more serious and hardcore. I am pyshed for this.

Their is also a Hansel and Grettle movie due out with Jeremy Renner as Hansel, that looks really intresting. I am not as aware of H&G story but the premise sounds intresting with brother/sister duo and I love JR. I will probley see it.

Hanahope

Hanahope

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 2:52 PM

Is there are prince in SWATH? I sortof assumed, given the trailer, that the Huntsman ends up in the prince role. I agree that Mirror Mirror looks like a Disney comedy, like they did with the Three Muskateers (which had some great lines, but then it did have Oliver Platt and Tim Curry). It could have some good/funny parts. But SWATH definitely looks to have the better story, plus great special effects. I do like the improvement on SW in both movies, plus the TV show. Yeah, people aren't all for damsel in distress anymore.

bijoux83

bijoux83

Stalker

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 4:30 PM

Sam Claflin (whom I know as Richard from Pillars of the Earth) plays the prince. What his role ends up being is still open.

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 12:41 PM

Angelina Jolie is officially going to play Maleficent in a live-action version of Sleeping Beauty. Elle Fanning is rumored to be in the running for Aurora/Briar Rose. It won't be out until 2014, but still...thoughts?

scarlett45

scarlett45

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 9:08 PM

Ouuuu. That sounds wonderful. I think Jolie would make a great villain. As far as Fanning, she's so talented I hope she can find quality adult roles and doesn't suffer the fate of so many child actors.

Edited by scarlett45, Apr 12, 2012 @ 9:09 PM.

Jeebus Cripes

Jeebus Cripes

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 12:04 AM

Having the film revolve around Maleficent sounds like a recipe for failure to me.

misere

misere

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 7:15 PM

I'm interested in Snow White and the Huntsman, but I have reservations. It looks like everything involving the queen takes the "fairy tale" back to its root--they were the original horror stories. On the other hand, I'm really not too taken with the action/adventure aspect they have going. I'm not sure the bare bones of the story warrants taking it into epic Lord of the Rings-style territory.

Edited by misere, Apr 30, 2012 @ 7:15 PM.

Batman Beatles

Batman Beatles

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 10:00 AM

I'm not sure the bare bones of the story warrants taking it into epic Lord of the Rings-style territory.

Tim Burton's Alice In Wonderland comes to my mind. This thought gives me reason not to want to see this.

CharmCity04

CharmCity04

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 12:14 PM

misere, I read some twitter reactions from a professional photographer for Getty Images, that got to see SWATH. Basically:

Spoiler

Edited by CharmCity04, May 1, 2012 @ 12:15 PM.

Sandman

Sandman

Stalker

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 8:48 AM

There is also a Hansel and Gretel movie due out with Jeremy Renner as Hansel, that looks really intresting. I am not as aware of H&G story but the premise sounds intresting with brother/sister duo and I love JR. I will probley see it.

Apparently Hansel and Gretel grow up to witch-hunters. (Makes me wonder what Career Day was like in their little one-room schoolhouse in the Big Scary Forest. Butcher, Baker, Woodcutter, Evil-Step-Parent, Talking Animal Wrangler, Troll-in-Training, Witchfinder, Goldspinner?)

Does this count as four potential action franchises that Renner is part of? Mission Impossible, Avengers, Bourne TNG, and Hansel and Gretel?

ceindreadh

ceindreadh

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 5:24 PM

There is also a Hansel and Gretel movie due out with Jeremy Renner as Hansel

I am now thinking of all the illustrated versions of H&G that I read as a child, and imagining Jeremy Renner dressed like that...(why brain, why must you do that to me????)

SilverStrike

SilverStrike

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2012 @ 2:13 AM

Technically, Alice in Wonderland isn't a Fairy Tale. It's a novel.

Personally, I'm a big fan of Fairy Tales, but I'm not sure what I should think about the new trend, yet. I think it will depend on how well the film maker understand the core of the fairy tale they try to tell.

TheSporkWielder

TheSporkWielder

Fanatic

Posted Jun 8, 2012 @ 9:57 PM

I really wish they'd take one of those random, really crazy and fucked up fairy tales and make THAT into a movie. I remember one about a kid whose stepmom kills him and cooks him up as a stew and feeds it to the dad, and then the sister takes the bones and buries them...and the dead kid then comes back as a bird who sings about it. Or something. It was WEIRD. But anyway, there are a TON of Fairy Tales out there. They should make movies of more than just the main few that everyone knows.

Virginia Plain

Virginia Plain

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 8, 2012 @ 11:18 PM

Oooh I love the idea of adapting more fucked up lesser known fairy tales. I remember one where the devil convinces some guy to cut off his daughter's HANDS. I'd also be more willing to get behind things like Snow White & the Huntsman if they used the more fucked up aspects of the original fairy tales as well. Like, didn't the original Snow White fairy tale end with the evil queen being forced to dance to death in hot iron shoes? I would love to see a gruesome ending like that in a movie.

SilverStrike

SilverStrike

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2012 @ 2:58 AM

Not really to keen on the really weird ones. But there are a lot of tales which could make a really interesting movie, but are barely known. Iron John for example, or Trusty John.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

• Interests:http://www.biblegateway.com/

Posted Jun 11, 2012 @ 7:14 PM

But anyway, there are a TON of Fairy Tales out there.

Seriously! Especially if you count the ones from the other continents besides Europe.

How many times are is Hollywood going to remake the same 10 stories?

lastdaughterfk

lastdaughterfk

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2012 @ 8:54 PM

How many times are is Hollywood going to remake the same 10 stories?

Ten times more? I wish they were more risky and who knows if the trend of fairytales keeps proving to be profitable they might try to get new ones but they won't bank on obscure fairytales just yet. Maybe indy studios would give it a chance to other stories a lot easier as long as the are not too expensive to make, YMMV.

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2012 @ 8:14 AM

Upcoming fairy tale movies

I've read Mermaid by Carolyn Turgeon and I think the movie will be great, as it is an excellent version of the original fairy tale -- not a completely happy one, but faithful enough to Hans Christian Andersen.

As for the other one, I expect Joe Wright won't shy away from the unhappy ending...

Edited by Spartan Girl, Jun 14, 2012 @ 8:09 AM.

ElymianDucat

ElymianDucat

Fanatic

Posted Jun 19, 2012 @ 11:36 AM

First look at Angelina Jolie as Maleficent.

Edited by ElymianDucat, Jun 19, 2012 @ 11:39 AM.

Jeebus Cripes

Jeebus Cripes

Fanatic

Posted Jun 20, 2012 @ 12:33 AM

I'm shocked by how faithful that is to Disney's Maleficent. I still abhor the idea of Jolie in the role and the film being made in general, though.

TheSporkWielder

TheSporkWielder

Fanatic

Posted Jun 20, 2012 @ 11:17 AM

I'm not looking forward to the movie making Maleficent "sympathetic." So it turns out that all that crap happened to Sleeping Beauty because...Maleficent's mom was a bitch, or she got bullied in Fairy School, or her boyfriend dumped her or something? LAME. Maleficent is EVIL, and that's what makes her such an awesome villain.

SilverStrike

SilverStrike

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2012 @ 5:16 AM

Yeah, she is one of those villains who DON'T need a reason for what they do. She simply has fun making other people miserable. I mean that's the whole point in Sleeping Beauty, that she doesn't understand compassion and love at all.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Jan 9, 2013 @ 3:06 AM

I was completely unaware, until seeing this, that they are also doing a live action Cinderella movie, with Cate Blanchett as the evil step-mother. Too bad all of these are being done by different studios, because they could just end it with all the fairy tale princesses and characters, teaming up Avengers-style to take on a big evil.

Edited by thuganomics85, Jan 9, 2013 @ 3:07 AM.

Jeebus Cripes

Jeebus Cripes

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2013 @ 4:30 AM

Cate Blanchett can do no wrong as far as I'm concerned, but Ever After pretty much nailed everything I could ever want in a live action Cinderella.

scarlett45

scarlett45

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 5:01 PM

Cate Blanchett can do no wrong as far as I'm concerned, but Ever After pretty much nailed everything I could ever want in a live action Cinderella.

I loved Ever After too. Especially the costumes.

Unraveled

Unraveled

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2013 @ 4:24 PM

I saw Ever After on my (teenage year) birthday. My best friend and I cried throughout most of it. I have the DVD. I don't need another live action Cinderella again.

I do like both the Julie Andrews and Brandy musical versions. Julie Andrews, because Julie Andrews. I liked the new one because of the very obvious blind casting. Though I don't know why Victor Garber appears in tv musicals but never sing (much) in them.

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2013 @ 4:34 PM

I love Ever After too, even though I still say that the prince was a bit of a douche and that Danielle probably could have done better.

And I also love the Brandy Cinderella. *sigh* I miss Whitney Houston.

Edited by Spartan Girl, Jan 28, 2013 @ 4:35 PM.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Jun 21, 2013 @ 4:29 AM

Interesting casting for the new Cinderella film (the one with Cate Blanchett as the evil step-mother and Richard Madden/Rob Stark from Game of Thrones as Charming): Helena Bonham Carter will be playing the Fairy Godmother.

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2013 @ 8:09 AM

HBC as the fairy godmother?  Well, that IS interesting casting...