AS-12: "Finale, Part II" 2012.03.22

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

106 replies to this topic

NicoleMN6

NicoleMN6

Stalker

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 1:43 PM

Given the scale of the prizes this season, you would think that the PTB would spring for Austin and Michael to get at least 5 days in Paris. Hell, they could even have the cameras go with them and turn it into a bonus episode -- bet it would be fun! Sheesh.

Michael and Austin will be fine, anyway. They make beautiful clothes that red carpet folks and brides already want to wear. And Michael, based in California and with a child, would have had a hard time moving to NY for the guest editorship position, right?

I was feeling grumpy when I saw the spoilers about Mondo winning, since it seemed like the competition was therefore moot. But when they showed his final collection for this compared to the collection from his season -- when he had months to work on it! -- it really did look like a dramatic improvement. The other two designers seemed good, but about as good as they had always been. If Mondo continues to improve so dramatically, he really could be Project Runway's first winner to become a major, major designer.

Major Misfit

Major Misfit

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 5:37 PM

If Mondo continues to improve so dramatically, he really could be Project Runway's first winner to become a major, major designer.

That title has already been taken by Christian Siriano.

NicoleMN6

NicoleMN6

Stalker

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 11:46 PM

WEll, Christian Siriano is the only one to get a lot of commercial recognition (right?) but I mean that Mondo could become someone global like a DVF, Missoni, etc. The professional designers who make the Project Runway contestants cry in their presence from sheer intimidation/adulation.

Edited by NicoleMN6, Mar 26, 2012 @ 11:47 PM.

kelslamu

kelslamu

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 2:50 AM

It was pretty enough in that princess ball gown sort of way; sadly I’ve seen that shape and detail so very often in bridal dresses (Austin’s even designed quite a few himself) that it is hard for me to get overly excited about it.

I can't say I've seen a lot with the exception of some on a bridal reality show. I think it was the petals that won me over.

von1974

von1974

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 11:29 AM

None of the collections wowed me either but I actually liked Michael's the best and thought that he deserved to win.And I really don't like him as a designer. To be honest, this seemed like a throwaway season to me. The fact that none of the regular cast threw the whole thing off for me. I almost think that it was put together specifically for a mondo win because I just really didn't think that his collection was that great.

tarheelchem

tarheelchem

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 12:01 PM

This:

Austin has become such a cartoon of himself, and as much as Mondo's whining has worked a few nerves here, Austin's artiste posing was working mine just as much.

I didn't think Austin's "inspiration" could get more over-worked, and then he threw 'vampire' into the mix! So it's:

Vampire
Rock Star
who lives in Williamsburg
next to a Hasidic dandy.

WTF?? My first thought was, "I bet all the people who have to work with the new guest editor at Marie Claire just said, 'NOT this guy!'". What a contrived piece of nonsense.

Mondo never bugged me much, but I can see why he comes off as whiny. But at least he's sincere. Austin strikes me as quite veneered.

Edited by TWoP Nikita, Mar 27, 2012 @ 8:18 PM.
added quote tags; quote and other formatting tags work as laid out in the FAQ, please use those if you are having trouble with quick format buttons

walkabout123

walkabout123

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 4:47 PM

To be honest, this seemed like a throwaway season to me. The fact that none of the regular cast threw the whole thing off for me. I almost think that it was put together specifically for a mondo win...

I agree. As long as Mondo showed up and sewed up, he was going to win. IMO that's why they had to have an all new cast: there was no way Nina and Michael were going to give Mondo a win. But TPTB couldn't just swap out Nina and Michael because that would have been too obvious. So they had all new judges and a new mentor, but only for the Allstar edition. What show does that??

I never saw an official reason for why they had an all new cast for this season only, but it doesn't matter because the official explanation would be bogus anyway. I missed Heidi and Tim Gunn, but they could boot Nina and Michael off permanently and it would be fine with me, particularly Nina. I liked Georgina as a judge, and wish she would permanently replace Nina.

I thought it was funny that Austin chose a vampire theme because all through Season 3 of True Blood I thought he should have been cast as Talbot, King Russell Edgerton's lover. As for his poufy ball-gown wedding dress--I'm not feeling the love. It made the bony runway model look huge, so a regular-size woman would look like a total puffball. The Hasidic theme was campy, contrived, and a bit disrespectful. I give all 3 of the designers a pass for any shortcomings though, because putting together a runway show in 4 days was quite a feat.

Nena

Nena

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 8:18 PM

I can't say I've seen a lot with the exception of some on a bridal reality show. I think it was the petals that won me over.

It was the petals that turned me off from it. As it was going down the runway, I realized it was a mere 20 lbs of crinoline and Swarovskies away from being a Big Fat Gypsy Wedding dress.

Edited by Nena, Mar 27, 2012 @ 8:18 PM.

scruffy73

scruffy73

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 10:43 PM

I never saw an official reason for why they had an all new cast for this season only, but it doesn't matter because the official explanation would be bogus anyway.

I don't know for sure but weren't they taping Anya's season at the same time? If so, maybe the regular crew didn't want to do both. Either way, I'm glad for the new crew in the All Star season. They had no preconceived notions about the designers, no expectations, no biases...or shouldn't have since I doubt they watched every season.

NicoleMN6

NicoleMN6

Stalker

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 1:04 PM

I liked Georgina and Isaac better than Nina and Michael, as judges. They seem to give a lot more constructive criticism, but maybe it's just that they've got fresher things to say. But I do think it's a good idea to have a magazine editor on the judging panel. Perhaps it could be Joanna, Georgina and Isaac as judges, with Heidi as the host, and Tim Gunn back as the mentor. There's no need for guest judges for every challenge.

ashlynne

ashlynne

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 10:07 PM

I still haven't gotten over Austin's statement about a "Hasidic Dandy."

I still want to know what a "hasidic dandy" is. That whole introduction by Austin was longwinded and ridiculous but the "hasidic dandy" part was just non-sensical.

tle041

tle041

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 9:23 AM

Austin's entire introduction was so superfluous. He's clearly the type that just likes to hear himself talk. The look on the audience's faces was priceless.

cranberry

cranberry

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 2:02 AM

What utter dullsville. The only thing I liked about the season was seeing Joanna Coles warm up over time (she initially comes off as some kind of Tilda Swintonesque ice queen but it turns out she can be fairly encouraging and supportive).

Whoever did the makeup and lighting on Angela Lindvall must hate her b/c she looked rough in the finale. And yeah, Irina's face has been botched.

Neeney

Neeney

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 10:17 AM

I never saw an official reason for why they had an all new cast for this season only, but it doesn't matter because the official explanation would be bogus anyway. I missed Heidi and Tim Gunn, but they could boot Nina and Michael off permanently and it would be fine with me, particularly Nina. I liked Georgina as a judge, and wish she would permanently replace Nina.

I don't know for sure but weren't they taping Anya's season at the same time? If so, maybe the regular crew didn't want to do both. Either way, I'm glad for the new crew in the All Star season. They had no preconceived notions about the designers, no expectations, no biases...or shouldn't have since I doubt they watched every season.

That's what I'd heard, too, that they filmed both seasons pretty much at the same time and the regulars couldn't or wouldn't do the All Stars at the same time. It doesn't really matter what the reason turns out to be because doesn't sound like people would believe it anyway.

I enjoyed the season alot better than the last few, but I really wish they'd made it more like the promise of the first episodes of this season instead of the dull drab drivel of the last few seasons.

von1974

von1974

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 11:11 AM

The only people I really missed were Tim Gunn and heidi klum, although I did think that Joanna Coles did a good job. the new host just seemed really dull and uninterested and uninteresting. Heidi at least acts like she cares whether she does or not. I don't have the dislike of Michael Kors and Nina Garcia that alot of people have so I will be happy to have them back. I guess it's just cause I'm used to them. I did actually like the black haired female judge, don't know her name but Isaac Mizrahi just bugs me for some reason.

sp23

sp23

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 3:13 PM

Late to the party. Just watched both parts of the finale.

I'm not entirely sure this season wasn't constructed solely to give Mondo the win he should've had his original season. – Fellaway

These are pretty much my thoughts exactly, Fellaway. At the beginning of the season, I was a Mondo girl after Austin (I'll always love Austin the best) simply because I felt he got robbed by losing to that wretched Gretchen, but as the season progressed, I got so very, very tired of his moaning, bitching, complaining, drama queenie pissyness and generally shitty attitude that I'm totally over him now. So his win did not give me the thrill it once would have. And that goes double after reading that it appears this entire season was a set-up to give him the win. That stinks.

With regards to Austin's collection, I knew it wouldn't win. I love Austin, but the pocket pants were terrible. I was okay with most of the rest, but I'm telling you, when that wedding gown came out my first thought was, "A million women would love to get married in that gown!". And then Georgina said the same thing! I think he does amazing things with wedding gowns.

I really liked Michael's collection. But really, too commercial? What a horrible thing to go into a department store. Commercially viable clothing. Quelle horreur!

Over all, I liked all three collections. That's a huge change from the past season, where I hated most everything sent down the runway and hated most of the final three contestants. – hathorlive

I agree. I don't even know who won last season because when the three finalists were chosen, I quit watching. Don't even remember who they were now.

Anyway, I enjoyed this season pretty well even with Mondo's histrionics throughout. Still, I'm looking forward to another season with people I don't know and don't hate yet. LOL

walkabout123

walkabout123

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 5:04 AM

That's what I'd heard, too, that they filmed both seasons pretty much at the same time and the regulars couldn't or wouldn't do the All Stars at the same time.

Why would they film two seasons simultaneously? They have never done that before. If true, that just gives credence to the speculation that this was a "throwaway" season to give Mondo the win, while the "real" season was being filmed with the regulars.

Edited by walkabout123, Apr 9, 2012 @ 1:56 PM.