AS-12: "Finale, Part II" 2012.03.22

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

106 replies to this topic

TWoP Nikita

TWoP Nikita

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 6:42 PM

From Zap2it:

The finalists present their collections to a VIP runway show crowd.

kccody

kccody

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 9:02 PM

Mondo deserved the win. All finalists were very classy. Way to not be such a Dick at the end Mondo. Fast redemption arc for sure.

Edited by kccody, Mar 22, 2012 @ 9:05 PM.

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

• Interests:Gardening

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 9:06 PM

Oh my gawd - that SO did not need to be an hour! Did you know they all wanted to win? But they were satisfied/happy with what they did? Or that they just wanted it to be over? Because they only said it like a BILLION times! And I know the hostess (who's name I still don't know) has a wooden delivery to begin with, but you could almost see the stage manager moving his arms telling her to S T R E T C H out going over the prizes (AGAIN) to fill time.

What a BORE. The collections were all good, but I have never been so happy for a season to end.

Lemuria

Lemuria

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 9:09 PM

I liked all the collections, though I was surprised how much I liked Michael's. I thought the safari theme was well handled. I knew Michael wouldn't win, though, when Mizrahi was so dead set against it. Interesting that Hilfiger (at least, I think that was him--I'm not a fashion maven) liked it so much. I think he was thinking of sale-worthiness.

bodielovesbetty

bodielovesbetty

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 9:09 PM

It's hard to judge Mondo's collection in the wake of S9 Viktor, who used similar techniques. I know Mondo didn't copy Viktor, but Mondo's blot design doesn't seem as fresh and new to me as it probably did to the judges.

I think Mondo's first piece was really great. The rest was okay, which is how I'd sum up all three collections.

janerazor

janerazor

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 9:10 PM

Austin came in second? The judges didn't even seem to like it that much. I did think Austin's tuxedo jumpsuit thing was cool, but the rest I thought was just too too "Austin Scarlet."

I liked Michael's shorts with the blousy top thing, but the rest, meh.

I am blinded by Mondo love, admittedly. But I really think his collection was great. Loved the ink blot print.

Lamb18

Lamb18

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 9:11 PM

I thought Mondo deserved the win, whether or not the spoilers were correct in that he was foreordained to win. And Michael brought tears to my eyes at the very end when he was crying for joy that his friend won. I was surprised that the designers did not walk the runway with their collection at the end. I wonder why not. I liked all three collections--I thought they did really well. I loved Austin's wedding dress. That was gorgeous. Michael's collection reminded me a little of Gretchen's! I'm not sure why since he didn't include any gray knit granny panties.

I'm glad the show ended with three strong collections, especially after last season.

pomme de divan

pomme de divan

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 9:13 PM

Mondo wins. What a shock. (yawn)
Love love loved Austin's wedding gown.
Thank god this rambling mess of a show is over.

Fellaway

Fellaway

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 9:17 PM

Am I mistaken, or was that structured dress April did for Michael the one that really was off in the sleeves and didn't fit the model right come runway time?

I'm not displeased with the results, but, oh, how predictable. I'm not entirely sure this season wasn't constructed solely to give Mondo the win he should've had his original season. Ah, well, congrats, Mondo! You deserved it, if not this season as much as for Season 8.

I wouldn't mind another All-Stars season, though I'd prefer the designers used were all, indeed, All-Stars, meaning no more Sweet Ps, Anthonys, or Elisas, selected for their personalities (and perhaps willingness to do the show when more deserving designers wouldn't) rather than their design abilities.

Mars in Gemini

Mars in Gemini

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 9:22 PM

Well, congratulations to Mondo! It all worked out in the end, and that has to feel good. But for a while there I really did think they were going to name Austin the winner, so I do feel really sorry for him. He was such a good sport and class act, and he came up with some truly spectacular designs after some early missteps.

This was the first time I actually liked all three collections. Usually I hate at least three garments in one collection with a passion.

Even though he didn't win, I think this will do a lot for Michael--and hopefully a lot for his belief in himself. Maybe this wasn't the most exciting finale ever, but it's helping remove the still-acrid taste of Gretchen Jones's win, so I'm okay with it. Overall, I really liked this season.

Damn it, I let my subscription to Marie Claire expire. I guess I'll have to renew it to see Mondo's contributions.

Edited to correct Gretchen's last name. Still not a fan.

Edited by Mars in Gemini, Mar 23, 2012 @ 12:23 PM.

Koffee Kup

Koffee Kup

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 9:32 PM

When they showed Mondo's collections side by side he had the same dress in both collections, one long and one short. Also he made several of his S8 collections pieces along the way this competition.

Lamb18

Lamb18

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 9:34 PM

Am I mistaken, or was that structured dress April did for Michael the one that really was off in the sleeves and didn't fit the model right come runway time?

Yes, that was the dress April worked on. He should have picked Rami to help him.

Edited by Lamb18, Mar 22, 2012 @ 9:36 PM.

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

• Interests:Gardening

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 9:34 PM

I could have lived without Joanna's running commentary during the runway shows. Just a little more blah blah blah to fill time.

avecsans

avecsans

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 9:38 PM

Mondo's collection was my least favorite of the three. I liked Michael's black and white print dress and the two-piece print outfit. I thought Austin's wedding dress was gorgeous but I agreed with Tommy Hilfiger that it didn't go with the rest of the collection.

I think Neiman Marcus guy and Tommy wanted Michael but were voted down because Georgina thought the collection was "too commercial." Not sure why that's a bad thing when the point is to sell the clothes.

Very boring episode and I really felt the lack of Tim Gunn. Funniest line - "Does Liza Minnelli know you raided her wardrobe?"

stafford

stafford

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 9:55 PM

I thought Mondo deserved the win. I can't believe he did it in four days (actually three days due to his mini breakdown/hissy fit). The stand out piece, however, was Austin's wedding dress although I thought the rest of his collection was so three years ago (the gawd awful pink pocket pants...haven't we seen that enough?). As much as I've come to like Michael I thought his collection could be found at Kohls or JC Penny's. It was uninspiring IMO.

On a side note...when there is a full hour I can't understand why did they speed through the runway show. I never even saw Michael's white dress with the vest on before it was whipped off. I watched the whole season to see the runway show (not look at the judges or audience looking at the dress). Major fail in my book!

Kidranger

Kidranger

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 9:57 PM

Oh, look. Mondo won. How boring.

This season made me realize what a whiney little creep he is. That guest editor job at Marie Claire magazine - Nina Garcia isn't going to stand for any of his crap. And maybe she can get him to stop dressing like the organ grinder's monkey.

Austin, Austin, Austin, you are a rock star. That wedding dress was lovely, and somehow, someway, you are going to get your break.

Michael, now you can be with your kids.

Roundtheworld

Roundtheworld

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 10:10 PM

Congrats to Mondo. His collection was the best to me and the only one that I could really see as a collection rather than mish mash in Nieman Marcus that could sell to many people in the PR and potentially 'new' Nieman Marcus client. Michael's felt much older/resort focused which I don't now if that would bring in new customers and the potentially younger demographic. Austin's I think had a couple of great dresses, but I don't know how someone going in for a cocktail dress would determine they for sure wanted his rather than a different one. To me Austin's designs are great, but 90% of the pieces are in the same demographic of outrageous evening wear, he needs to find something where he can focus on that.

I would wear many of Mondo's cloths.

Fallacy

Fallacy

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 10:15 PM

I loved Michael's collection. It wasn't particularly "artistic" but they were very beautiful clothes that I covet and I'm not "older" by any means. Mondo's are cool and hip and I think he deserves the win, but Michael's made me smile.

I liked Monda's first look the best of all the designs, I think, but Austin's wedding dress was truly fabulous.

All in all, the top 3 did great work they can be proud of for the finale, so I'm a happy PR viewer. Now if I never see Angela on my tv again, I will be an ecstatic PR viewer.

SueR

SueR

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 10:18 PM

It was hard to tell from the discussion who was going to win. I actually thought it would be Austin, but the lack of cohesiveness did him in. I also LOVED the wedding dress. Michael's was definitely the most commercial, but that's the thing I never understood with this show. Do they want a commercial collection like Michael's, which as they said can go right into the stores, or do they want more avant garde and creative like Austin's? I trhink Mondo won partly because his was a little of each. I did think his was probably the best. Some of his dresses were adorable. And if nothing else he deserves it as redemption for last time.

CatsWithAxes

CatsWithAxes

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 10:18 PM

Oh, look. Mondo won. How boring.

That's how I felt. And man was that overly long and drawn out for no reason. I wasn't really rooting for anyone in particular, and I didn't really think any one collection stood out as being better than the other two (I thought they all looked good, although I agreed that Mondo's probably looked the most cohesive), so I didn't really care who won. I did find the judges' discussion interesting though.

I knew Austin was toast as soon as Angela told him, as she did Michael, "you have a very bright future." Having a bright future on Project Runway = kiss of death.

Fellaway

Fellaway

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 10:28 PM

Yes, that was the dress April worked on. He should have picked Rami to help him.

Thanks, Lamb18. I thought as much. Guess her professional design school training didn't stand her in as much good stead as Michael's amateur standing. And, hey, if Gretchen can own a color, so can Michael. [/leftover Season 8 snarkasm]

I was suprised and disappointed when Michael didn't pick Rami! He was ousted way too soon.

lovesduncan

lovesduncan

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 10:34 PM

Boring end to a boring season. This show's best days are behind it.

Umbrella Maker

Umbrella Maker

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 10:36 PM

Not surprised, but I'm glad that Mondo won. I liked his collection quite a bit. I was pleasantly surprised with Michael's collection too. A lot better than I thought it'd' be. Loved the very end with Michael and Mondo. But then again, I love their friendship so that's just me. I also liked Austin's collection, surprisingly. Like MIchael (well what he said in the After the Runway), I didn't quite get Austin's style. But seeing it all up there, it made sense. That wedding dress was super pretty.

Auntie Anxiety

Auntie Anxiety

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 10:37 PM

Irina? Winner of Season 6? I watched that entire season yet I have no recollection of her or any of her creations. Just me?

Mondo's inkblot dress was a reworking of the gown he created in Season 8 (?) that Heidi was desperate to wear, and then when she did finally wear it, I think she had it shortened or changed the fabric or something. But in any event, that dress style (light front panel with dark, body shaping fabric on the sides)has been around forever. I remember a suit worn by Joan Collins(?) like that in Dynasty and either Stella McCartney or Victoria Beckham has recently revived the look. Tons of actresses have been photoed in them. Not sure what the timeline is (did Mondo rip off the aforementioned designer or vice versa), but there is nothing new about it.

No big surprise about Mondo's win. I think the entire universe agreed that he was robbed of a win last time.

Kolaka

Kolaka

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 10:47 PM

I liked Monda's first look the best of all the designs, I think, but Austin's wedding dress was truly fabulous.

I agree - personally I really liked that blouse/skirt combo of Mondo's with the bag and Austin's wedding dress was gorgeous.

They all had some missteps (ugh, those huge and hiddy pockets he made) but Mondo's looked most like a collection so his win was well deserved IMO.

I thought for sure it would be Mondo/Michael/Austin per the critiques. Though Austin had the best story (vampire meets Hasidic something!) I really did not like those clown-like pants and his dress (lace overlay?) that was a favorite of many of them - I did not like that growth of fabric on the side, I would have really liked the dress without it.

I'm automatically not a fan of safari prints so I didn't really favor Michael's (thought it seemed the judges did) but I concede they were well made and he definitely had a focused point of view. Thankfully there was minimal crying. I do like his friendship with Mondo, though I felt a bit bad for Austin being the odd man out.

On After the Runway they did side-by-side comparisons of each designer's previous season collections and tonight's collections. Mondo and Michael both had collections very different from their originals, which showed growth on both of their parts IMO.

I like all three designers so I enjoyed Joanna's back stage commentary with them and I liked her drive by critiques and other behind the scenes stuff (last minute fitting emergencies, etc). Still, the two hour split should have been condensed into a 90 minute ep, definitely, with less emphasis on melt downs and some other extraneous stuff.

It was a pretty good finale to what's been generally a flat season. The After the Runway show is pretty entertaining, Joanna has a more fun personality and everyone is naturally more relaxed.

Nice for Michael and Austin to each get a consolation prize of a trip to Paris!

Mondo's inkblot dress was a reworking of the gown he created in Season 8 (?) that Heidi was desperate to wear, and then when she did finally wear it, I think she had it shortened or changed the fabric or something

She had the sleeves removed.

Edited by Kolaka, Mar 22, 2012 @ 10:52 PM.

Kira53

Kira53

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 10:49 PM

I think Austin's wedding dress was preplanned long before the competition. He was going to put that in his collection if he made the final 3 no matter what the theme was. Nevertheless it was absolutely gorgeous and the beautiful fantasy. I'd loved the dress, I just don't believe that he came upload with it in that four days without pre-planning of how he was going to accomplish that dress.

Mondo deserved the win IMHO - his point of view, recognizable style, execution, and no one has his facility with prints. I don't think that there is anyone else like him. It was obvious that he did not come in with a pre-planned line of attack to the challenge or a pre-planned dress. I do hope that Michael and Austin will be able to get contract for some of his items.

edited because there are always typos when I write on my phone

Edited by Kira53, Mar 22, 2012 @ 11:04 PM.

Anacharsis

Anacharsis

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 11:02 PM

I liked Michael's the best so it figures he would come in third. I'm fine with Mondo winning, though, since his collection was my second favorite. Austin had two great dresses but the rest were either ok or flat out atrocious. It wasn't a cohesive collection, and his ridiculous story of who would be wearing his clothes only emphasized that.

Angela has such a fucked up, tortured way of speaking. She's not as bad as Camila Alvez (shudder), but damn. Tommy Hilfiger looked like he couldn't wait for her to shut up. I also caught TH looking exasperated with Isaac Mizrahi's constant hand talking.

Joanna Coles seemed very helpful and supportive of the designers, and that was nice, but it's difficult to get past her inexplicably terrible hair. I;m assuming she has the best hair people at her disposal, so why she chooses that cut and color is confusing.

Also, what the hell happened to S6 Irina's face?

Pj3422

Pj3422

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 11:08 PM

I want Mondo's inkblot dress. Also, with this episode my respect for Joanna Coles grew at least three sizes. Loved how supportive she was.

Kolaka

Kolaka

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 11:09 PM

Joanna Coles seemed very helpful and supportive of the designers, and that was nice, but it's difficult to get past her inexplicably terrible hair.

I can't get past those awful pants she wears.

Also, what the hell happened to S6 Irina's face?

I know! She looked haggard.

Porky

Porky

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 11:10 PM

I think Neiman Marcus guy and Tommy wanted Michael but were voted down because Georgina thought the collection was "too commercial." Not sure why that's a bad thing when the point is to sell the clothes.

I think Hilfiger and Neiman Marcus guy wanted Michael to win because they didn't have to suffer through the rest of the season and had no idea how much of an abomination it was that Michael even made it to the finale. If he had won, I don't think I could take this show seriously anymore.

Mondo deserved to win... during his season, over Gretchen. He did not deserve to win All-Stars. His collection was average and typical of his usual work, yet seemed to lack his usual spark. His attitude this season was so poor, I gave up on wanting him to win weeks ago. and his lame finale dress was tacky, tacky.

And if nothing else he deserves it as redemption for last time.

This? Does not sit well with me. I was spoiled before the finale, and I do think Mondo was chosen as the winner long before they created their final collections. It's just unfortunate, because he was such a whiny baby this season that it didn't feel like he deserved the win the way he did during his regular season when he had an upbeat attitude and consistently original ideas.