23-17: "Them, Robot" 2012.03.18

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

13 replies to this topic

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 6:23 PM

From SNPP:

Mr. Burns puts Homer's brain inside a robot (oops, wrong episode) replaces everyone at the plant except Homer with a robot, only for the robots to rise up against their human masters just as Professor Frink warned (that was a different episode as well, wasn't it?) the robots to rise up against their human masters (guess it wasn't that different)

Yeah, the theme for the last two seasons seems to be "FUCK REALISM!" despite that the show has dipped into the "robots go on a rampage" plot several times. Hell, Fox aired the episode with the robot seals going on a rampage tonight, too! And voiced by Bret Spiner!

ETA: Really liked that couch gag: The Simpsons through the years. Stampy! "Michael Jackson!" Spider-Pig!

"I told them to make these tracks D'oh-proof!" I liked seeing Homer's sober weekend, and how everything Homer ate at the brunch place had alcohol in it.

Lenny licking that toad should not have been as funny as it was, but it was.

"More hi-tech than kangaroos?" Good to see that Burns & Smithers try robots again. (the first attempt ended very, very badly in Last Exit to Springfield about 20 years ago. That whole moment took about 4 seconds, btw) Of course, they still went on a rampage thanks to Homer wanting friends. And, you know, giving them all lobotomies because they wouldn't let him drink. Full circle!

Homer using their guiding line to draw a baseball diamond for the robots, but they still couldn't play was pretty clever. Doesn't really explain how they were able to leave it to save Homer all those times, but their prime directive must override that.

And speaking of Last Exit to Springfield, we saw Burns' Solarium again! But this raises a plothole...how did everyone know that Burns and Homer were in danger?!

Those plot holes aside, I really liked this one!

Edited by InvaderNorbert, Mar 18, 2012 @ 7:30 PM.

TVspectator

TVspectator

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 7:44 PM

i really like this episode and I loved how Brent Spiner (Data, from Star Trek) played those robots (you gotta love that "prime directive" of the robots was from Asimov's 3 Laws of Robotics but was put in a Star Trekkie way). Plus, I loved this Star Trek episode more than the FG's Star Trek episode.

And speaking of Last Exit to Springfield, we saw Burns' Solarium again! But this raises a plothole...how did everyone know that Burns and Homer were in danger?!-InvaderNorbert

I have a feeling that mob was on its way to attack Mr. Burns, and they just happened to see that Homer was going to be killed by the Robots and saved him, plus they took advantage of the situation by destroying the Robots thus getting their old jobs back.

TDA Jake

TDA Jake

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 10:16 PM

Surprised Mr. Burns knows Homer's name now. He usually needs prompting from Smithers.

dougfir

dougfir

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 10:40 PM

I LOL'ed at Carl in the Hot Dog on a Stick outfit.

General Guy

General Guy

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 1:27 AM

That scene where the robots kept getting run over was hilarious.

CantThinkUpName

CantThinkUpName

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 5:36 AM

I really liked that episode. And as crazy as the plot was, it kept me thinking of better-era episodes because it managed to combine plot and jokes all throughout the episode. In a lot of the newer ones, the show seems to focus on one or the other when it hits the third or fourth act.

I do wonder if it was cut for time though. The scene of Smithers closing his suitcase looked weird, as though they had a joke about what he had in his suitcase but eliminated it. And the robot fight seemed kind of short.

I also like how the frog Lenny licked was red, like in Missionary: Impossible. And I just saw that episode a couple of days ago, it's not that my recollection is that amazing.

I also liked Big Band Burns. I actually thought this episode had good use of Burns, a character I think they've kind of "lost touch" with over the past few years. I can't entirely explain how, though I hope someone here knows what I'm talking about.

Kaboom

Kaboom

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 7:05 AM

Loved the couch gag!

Lenny licking that toad should not have been as funny as it was, but it was.

I also like how the frog Lenny licked was red, like in Missionary: Impossible.

Hee! As soon as they showed that frog I immediately thought of Homer and his frog back in Missionary: Impossible.

And kudos to Brent Spiner for his work in last nights ep. He's the sole reason why I would watch it again.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 9:59 AM

Really liked that couch gag: The Simpsons through the years. Stampy! "Michael Jackson!" Spider-Pig!

Damn! Last week the episode didn't record & I realized due to some time change difficulty my DVR had, all the shows I had on series recording with a one minute early designation didn't work, so I changed them all to record just the regular time slot. All I got for the couch gag was 2011 & 2012.

BethWrenn

BethWrenn

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 5:11 PM

I want the combination to the num-num safe! :)

whywatch

whywatch

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 5:18 PM

I loved Mr. Burns' iPad apps--Am I Alive?, Angry Burns, and Google Naps are my favorites. I really would like a Google Naps app!

Edited by whywatch, Mar 19, 2012 @ 5:19 PM.

wiishtrh

wiishtrh

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 8:13 PM

The funniest thing to me was finding out that Mr. Burns made Moe ugly. It was sad but I laughed.

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

• Interests:I like TV.

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 7:41 AM

I loved the iPad trap door app. For a guy who still wants to take the auto-gyro to Prussia, it was a very funny way to show him embracing something new. (I'm ignoring what went on with rest of the episode when I make that point.)

Also, Bret Spiner rocks.

JoeSpacely

JoeSpacely

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 7:56 AM

The funniest thing to me was finding out that Mr. Burns made Moe ugly. It was sad but I laughed.

I thought it was repetitive boxing blows that made Moe ugly. Or something related to being on a soap opera.

It was a well-executed episode, but I've known "The Simpsons" for too long - it just felt like auto-pilot to me.

blackwing

blackwing

Stalker

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 2:51 PM

I thought this was a fun episode as well, although I agree that I felt like some things got cut out. We got cheated out of the actual scene of Homer getting his physical and blood test. We went from Homer being next in line to the announcement that all humans were getting fired. Burns had said that anyone who failed the drug test would be terminated, and yet Homer was in the audience when the robots were announced (I think). So did he pass, and how? I feel like there were some hijinks that were cut.

Also, after Smithers got replaced, I was thinking he should have walked to the trap door and pushed the button on the iPad to dispose of himself. Would have been fitting and totally in character.