1-16: "Heart of Darkness" 2012.03.18

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

190 replies to this topic

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

Fanatic

• Interests:Moderating

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 3:42 PM

Mary Margaret asks Mr. Gold for legal help when Emma has to arrest her for the murder of Kathryn. Meanwhile, in the fairy-tale world, Prince Charming hopes he can interrupt Snow White's plan to assassinate the...

Remember to keep it on topic. Don't discuss promos in this thread. Take speculation and general discussion to other threads. Try to keep the discussion in here about this episode as much as possible. No acronyms - spell it out. Thanks.

kcblue86

kcblue86

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 8:03 PM

Very good episode. Next week's preview looks awesome. Did anyone else think Charming sounded a lot like Henry when he was trying to convince Snow of who he was?

Darlin

Darlin

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 8:03 PM

I thought this was a very solid episode. Psycho Snow White was must-see TV.

And David is officially on my ish-list now although I understand why he is confused about his memories.

Tzigone

Tzigone

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 8:04 PM

Despite the DNA test, I'm not believing Kathryn is dead.

My favorite moment of the episode was Emma's face when that key unlocked the door. Brilliant.

I'm really, really happy we got more Storybrooke stuff this week. I've been very frustrated the last few weeks with too much time devoted to flashbacks and not enough to moving forward with the story in the present.

Edited by Tzigone, Mar 18, 2012 @ 8:05 PM.

cordy1001

cordy1001

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 8:07 PM

Loved this ep but all I kept thinking was "David, you don't recognize the cape? the long wavy hair? the snowy woods!" in terms of those memories.

Interesting though how the curse is wonky on him. I need to know who The Stranger is, particularly since he wants Emma to believe too.

rebelqueen

rebelqueen

Couch Potato

• Interests:Once and FutureTV loveaffairs:Gilmore, Buffy, Firefly, NCIS, ER, WOT,Bones,Alias,Chuck,Life, Eleventh Hour(Rufus Sewell=pretty) Miami Medical(JN=pretty) Ringer, Once Upon a Time, Dollhouse, Good Wife and of course Battlestar Galactica(save for the last 30 minutes of the ending).

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 8:08 PM

Lords of Kobol, this episode was bloody brilliant! Watching Gold& Emma team up is going to be made of win. Robert Carlyle has some of the best line readings.

Digital Am

Digital Am

Fanatic

• Interests:Criminal Minds
    Joan of Arcadia
    Anything w/Amber Tamblyn or Dakota Fanning
    Dog the Bounty Hunter
    Boy Meets World
    Family Guy
    etc.

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 8:08 PM

Hmm, still not sure how I feel about August.

Mary Margret, for as much as I love you, in this episode you are a MORON!
1. [shout]
2. You should have TOLD Emma about the key you found! *Smacks forehead/facepalm*

I think Regina totally has Mary Margret set up.
Henry, you sweet, sweet boy. Your heart was in the right place, and at least Emma knows (confirmed talking to Rumpelstiltskin and/or Mary) that Henry's evidence (although not said to Rumple verbally) is inadmissible.

Sigh. I'm better now. Okay...
Poor David confused The Enchanted Forrest with Storybrook...:-( The bright side is that he's remembering though! Yay!

I heart James oh SO very much! Same goes for Grumpy! Grumpy is my favorite Dwarf next to Stealthy (RIP)
Snow was quite good in this episode, as was Rumpelstiltskin.

Favorite line (I'm paraphrasing):
Grumpy: "Snow, look what you're doing to Happy..." (Happy tries to hold back a smile, but fails miserably after frustratingly trying to point out to Snow how she's changed since she drank the potion Rumpelstiltskin gave to her

ETA - Knew I forgot something:

Loved this ep but all I kept thinking was "David, you don't recognize the cape? the long wavy hair? the snowy woods!" in terms of those memories.

Thanks! I thought the exact same thing!

Edited by TWoP Tennison, Mar 19, 2012 @ 5:52 AM.
Shouting

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 8:09 PM

I burst out laughing at least 3 times. The first was in the opening scene when Snow had the bird on her finger. But then... wow. Dissociative personality disorder much? Regardless. Another A episode. Charming sure knows how to draw his sword.

stealinghome

stealinghome

Stalker

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 8:10 PM

Never mind.

Edited by stealinghome, Mar 18, 2012 @ 8:11 PM.

Makenna

Makenna

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 8:10 PM

I'm thinking maybe he only remembers the words but WE (the audience) were shown the clips in order to recognize the context of the situation and to understand David is regaining some of his memories.

And good lord, it seems like David cries in every episode. In fact, it seems like Mary Margaret and David cry a lot when they are together.

ouronlylight

ouronlylight

Couch Potato

• Interests:30 Rock, Alias, Angel, Arrested Development, Awake, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Community, The Colbert Report, Conan, Days of Our Lives, Firefly, House, La madrastra, Law & Order, Law & Order: SVU, Merlin, Mi pecado, Nikita, The Office, Once Upon a Time, Passions, The Rachel Maddow Show, Revenge, Ringer, Sailor Moon, Sex and the City, The Soup, Sports Night, The Tudors, Ugly Betty, The Vampire Diaries, Veronica Mars

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 8:14 PM

I really enjoyed this episode, although I will admit that my interest waned a little bit when Snow shot Charming instead of Regina and then Charming restored her love. Still, this was the most engaged that I've been in their story for a while, and I started out really loving them as a couple, so kudos to the writers for that.

Regina and David's conversation about evil nearly slayed me. Never change, Regina. I loved her horseback riding outfit, too. I had been wondering why the Evil Queen would travel between palaces by horse when she can apparate, but I suppose she loves seeing all of the peasants bow down to her. Never change, Queenie.

David continues to be a moron. Mary Margaret had long hair in your memories, David. Does she have long hair now? Did she have long hair before Kathryn was "murdered" (and I agree that I'm not convinced that she's dead)? Why are you so stupid, David?

At first, I was totally convinced that Regina was behind Kathryn's disappearance, but now that Emma and Henry know that one of Regina's keys opens Mary Margaret's apartment, I'm not so convinced. That just seems so unlike Regina to leave evidence that could condemn her lying around. I'm thinking that Gold and/or August (I'm convinced that they're working together) are the ones who are really behind Kathryn's disappearance and are framing Regina.

I take that last scene to mean that Rumpelstiltskin engineered Emma to be the one to break the curse and thus restore love? Awesome.

The next episode looks really great, and from the brief glimpse that I got, Evil Queen Regina's gown looked awesome. More fabulous Evil Queen outfits, please!

cordy1001

cordy1001

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 8:16 PM

At first, I was totally convinced that Regina was behind Kathryn's disappearance, but now that Emma and Henry know that one of Regina's keys opens Mary Margaret's apartment, I'm not so convinced. That just seems so unlike Regina to leave evidence that could condemn her lying around

wasn't it in the book and that's how he found out? She doesn't think he has the book anymore and he wouldn't have known where/what those keys were without the book and August pointing it out.

lubi

lubi

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 8:18 PM

Romance, Action and Suspense. What more can you ask for?

Loved this episode. If the last of the Season is going to be all like that, it will be a long wait in the summer.

Neither am I. Regina must have done something.

And finally Emma is on to Regina.

I really need to know who August is. I guess he's now officially in Operation Cobra.

And who put that key inside Mary's cell? Or did I miss something?

Great episode.

Senna

Senna

Channel Surfer

This was definitely a "good" Snow and Charming episode (though David is still on my bad list, even if I'm glad someone's remembering Fairy Tale land). Loved the "intervention" with the dwarfs. Loved that Emma is finally believing some of what Henry tells her, while still questing for proof. And count me as another who is unconvinced that Kathryn is dead. No body (even when there's a heart -- and with all Regina's scheming, I don't trust any results from anyone outside town) = still alive.

Also, Mr. Gold/Rumple always makes me happy. So he wanted Snow's and Charming's hair to make ... love? Hmmmm.

Next week's episode looks awesome.

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

I think Regina totally has Mary Margret set up.

I bet she's hoping she can have her considered armed and dangerous and possibly shot on sight as an escaped murderess.

And good lord, it seems like David cries in every episode. In fact, it seems like Mary Margaret and David cry a lot when they are together.

But they cry so prettily so it's okay. Josh can cry a whole episode if he wants. Well he practically has.

I have to say I expected David to come tromping into that cell and accuse Mary Margaret outright. I was so relieved he tried to see if she would tell him, perhaps waiting to see if there was some explanation. (I can't imagine..."Well you see, we got into a fight and stabbed her and she died. So I cut her heart out, put it in a box and buried it." Because that's logical.) So David got a couple points tonight.

And aww, Emma's own little icy heart was breaking for Mary Margaret. She tried the whole episode to be sooo logical (to a fault). And at the end, you can see how badly she wants to preserve her first real friendship and how desperate she is to help her first real friend. Haha, plus she needs her Mommy to have faith in her.

So Rumpel figured out how to bottle love? Uh oh, what is he going to do with that?

oldandnewfirm

oldandnewfirm

Couch Potato

At first, I was totally convinced that Regina was behind Kathryn's disappearance, but now that Emma and Henry know that one of Regina's keys opens Mary Margaret's apartment, I'm not so convinced. That just seems so unlike Regina to leave evidence that could condemn her lying around.

She didn't leave it lying around. She keeps the keys in a drawer in her office; we see them there in a previous episode. Henry admitted that he stole them from her.

Pepper the Cat

Pepper the Cat

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 8:25 PM

Great episode.
And I have to say Red Rocks!

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 8:26 PM

Good episode.

I love James so damn much. I love how he didn't give up and he kept trying to break the spell. David's starting to slowly grow on me (oh, hi Archie and Jiminy! Welcome back!) but it's still gonna take some time for me to like him.

Badass Snow was badass. I totally didn't expect her to start wacking on that poor bird. But I wonder if that used to be Snow long ago. Was she really a spoiled princess once upon a time, or is that just a very tiny piece of her?

I may be one of the only ones, but August has finally grown on me. I'm actually excited to see him and Henry team up. It's about time somebody was fully on Henry's side and believed him. Emma should believe soon, right?

It was nice to see Mr. Gold again, and Rumple's always interesting to see.

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 8:28 PM

I may be one of the only ones, but August has finally grown on me. I'm actually excited to see him and Henry team up. It's about time somebody was fully on Henry's side and believed him.

The question its: Why does he believe Henry and how did he know about Henry's belief that the book was real?

Makenna

Makenna

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 8:29 PM

I have to say I really loved this episode (both the Enchanted Forest and Storybrooke parts)....it had a little bit of everything.

I feel SO bad for David, as a character. It seems like he's always the 'bad' guy or the 'flaky' guy or the 'stupid' guy so I hope that changes soon. And he seriously needs a real friend in Storybrooke because Regina AIN'T IT. But I am glad he's starting to remember.

Love, love, love Charming. He continues to be the best. And Red was so bad ass attacking the soldiers so Charming could get away.

And once again, no one is watching Henry. Did he actually skip school today or what? Regina needs to get a nanny for him if she can't be bothered to watch him. Especially with his proclivity to run off and not listen to her.

When I saw Rumple combining Snow's and Charming's hairs I honestly thought he was creating some type of test tube baby Emma. I wonder when the LOVE potion will come back into play.

All in all, an A+ episode.

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 8:38 PM

Regina and David's conversation about evil nearly slayed me.

When he told her she didn't know anything about evil --that was another one of those laugh out loud moments. Another was when he told Snow in Fairy Tale Land, "It's me, Charming." You'd have to be a wrestling champion to live down that name in our world.

So Rumpel figured out how to bottle love? Uh oh, what is he going to do with that?

When Rumpel put Snow's and Charming's hairs in the bottle the CGI looked to me like they formed a DNA strand, which made me think of the other mention of DNA in the episode. Is it possible the CGI guy did that without reading the part of the script about the heart DNA and nobody caught it? Because now that you mention it, it does seem more likely that he bottled love (given his earlier comment).

I bet [Regina]'s hoping she can have [Mary Margaret] considered armed and dangerous and possibly shot on sight as an escaped murderess.

OK. That makes sense. I was sure Regina planted the key, but couldn't figure out the scheme behind it.

Once again we see Storybrooke characters as mirror images of their Fairy Tale selves: In the forest it is Charming who refuses to give up on Snow; in Storybrooke it's the other way around.

ImNotLeesa

ImNotLeesa

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 8:42 PM

David continues to be a moron. Mary Margaret had long hair in your memories, David. Does she have long hair now? Did she have long hair before Kathryn was "murdered" (and I agree that I'm not convinced that she's dead)? Why are you so stupid, David?

At least now we know where Emma gets it.

Though, in David's defense, there's no reason why he would suspect that his memories of Mary Margaret are from some other land/life. He may have chalked her non-standard appearance up to his own wonky memory.

He is now the 3rd Storybrooke resident to access memories of his prior life...he'd better watch his heart, and cut down on his one on one meetings with Regina, lest he go the way of Kathryn and Sheriff V 1.0.

The scene with Emma asking Mary Margaret to have faith in her was very sweet (though since David broke her heart it didn't seem like she was having any of it. ) Emma was styled like a fairy tale princess more than usual there...princess hair, big blue Disney eyes (tm Community)

And now we seem to have confirmation of how Rumple put the fail safe in his big bad curse...he built in a reset button based on James and Snow's true love, via Emma.

Loved seeing Red own her bad-assery, and applying it to King George's men (hope she spared the horses though...)

Dani-Ellie

Dani-Ellie

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 8:42 PM

I adored this episode. I mean, where else would you see a dwarf- and cricket-led intervention?

I also kind of loved Badass Snow. I mean, I wouldn't want to see her like that all the time, but seeing the dark side of her was fun.

Emma begging Mary Margaret to have faith in her made me teary. And the dwarves marching off with Snow at the end made me squee.

Finally, I'm officially on Team August.

Blue Plastic

Blue Plastic

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 8:44 PM

Well, now we know why Rumple wanted Snow's hair. And maybe Emma's eyes are a little bit more open since Henry was right about the keys and she's realized that she always loses against Regina (except for the time Gold helped her). But boy was Mary Margaret dumb for even considering leaving her cell. What does she think she's going to accomplish? She has everything to lose and nothing to gain by doing that. Sign me up as another viewer not convinced that Katherine is really dead. As others have said, doesn't David notice that Mary's/Snow's hair was totally different in his flashbacks? Dumbass!

I'm tired of Regina getting her way about everything. I actually trust Mr. Gold more than I would ever trust Sidney - isn't that crazy? - but I'm concerned that Emma being willing to use Gold's tactics might be the wrong way to go about it. I dunno.

Summa

Summa

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 8:46 PM

I loved this episode. First, my opening credit watch - this time when the narrator said, " and who will break the curse," they first flashed to August and then to Mary. I really like Grumpy and the dynamic he has with Snow. He's my favorite dwarf.

It was funny how Disney Snow was humming a Disney Snow Whit song while dressed like Disney Snow.

Intervention in Enchanted Forest was funny too because intervention is such a modern world/our world concept. I'm still not keen on Jimminy because he was such a gutless wonder in his episode.

I wonder if Rumpel's bottled love is crucial for breaking this curse.

I do disagree with the philosophy that evil is made and not born because I do not believe that's true. Maybe the apple usually does not fall too far from the tree, but there are some apples that do not choose the path of evil when they're put in the same circumstances.

Also, great ending. I loved the little montage at the end. I am so glad that Emma believes Mary and was gentle and crying because Mary really needed that after David. Also, really cool promo, and I loved how they went from eerie music to the Doors' People are strange (even if the Doors were not performing it.). It shall be interesting because it doesn't look like Hatter knows they're in a different world now.

myamya

myamya

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 8:52 PM

Great episode! Lots of suspense, mystery, love, and Rumple's back! He looked rather green in this episode. Anyone agree? His makeup artists need to be more consistant...his look changes quite a bit.

With the arrow. What did Rumple say about it? Use it to kill the queen, it will always hit its mark? Did he know that it would hit Charming and therefore breaking the Snow's potion curse? Why did it not kill Charming?

I think Regina planted the key knowing Mary Margert would probably try to leave therefore making her look more guilty.

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 8:56 PM

I'm going to go ahead and say that Mary Margaret didn't leave willingly. I think the key was a fakeout for the audience because why would she escape? She would only hurt her case.

lyricalcatt

lyricalcatt

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 8:58 PM

Could Kathryn still be alive without the heart like Graham? I can't remember if Graham had a literal heart when he was spelled by Regina. Can someone refresh my mind? Also, Regina could have messed with the tests. I feel bad that we don't get to see her happy ending with Frederick. I hope she's still alive.

As for the key, I think that Henry could have planted it for Mary Margaret thinking to help her. It was probably Regina though.

Darlin

Darlin

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 8:58 PM

I'm going to go ahead and say that Mary Margaret didn't leave willingly. I think the key was a fakeout for the audience because why would she escape? She would only hurt her case.

I'm willing to consider this is a strong possibility. Even though we know she had the key and certainly contemplated escaping, we didn't see her leave. [

Edited by TWoP Tennison, Mar 19, 2012 @ 5:53 AM.
Topic

SimoneSays

SimoneSays

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 9:02 PM

Argh, my DVR cut out five minutes early...what happened at the very end? Thanks!