2-13: "Beside the Dying Fire" 2012.03.18

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

677 replies to this topic

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

Fanatic

• Interests:Moderating

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 3:40 PM

Remember to keep it on topic. Take speculation and general discussion to other threads. Try to keep the discussion in here about this episode as much as possible. Discussion of the whole season should go in the All Seasons thread.

No future comics plots! Take it to the comics/show thread. Most of us know who the hooded stranger is, either from the comics or media, but since his/her name and identity was not mentioned in this episode, discussion of it will be off-topic here. Thanks.

Edited by TWoP Tennison, Mar 18, 2012 @ 9:30 PM.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 9:01 PM

Now that's how you make an entrance.

JOnanGoopta

JOnanGoopta

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 9:03 PM

Luckily I hadn't spoiled, and I only figured out who was showing up to rescue Andrea a couple seconds before it happened.

Tiznowbaby

Tiznowbaby

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 9:03 PM

Please, someone shoot Lori in the head. Oh boo hoo, Shane, who you TOLD you husband was dangerous, is dead at your husband's hands and now your angry? What the eff is wrong with her.

JOnanGoopta

JOnanGoopta

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 9:04 PM

Also I finally saw a ratio of human to zombie kills that was pretty good.

HeadlessOne

HeadlessOne

Loyal Viewer

Have my eyes deceived me? Did that hulking pseudo-samurai have two domesticated (and literally unarmed) walkers attached to him via chain?

I have way more to say, but I just needed to get that thought out before the excitement killed me.

Please, someone shoot Lori in the head. Oh boo hoo, Shane, who you TOLD you husband was dangerous, is dead at your husband's hands and now your angry? What the eff is wrong with her.

Thank you! Now she's suddenly disgusted by her husband's actions even though she prescribed that very same course of action before as a remedy to the Shane situation. Was his murder no longer conscionable because she apologized for everything that happened between her and Shane?

Edited by HeadlessOne, Mar 18, 2012 @ 9:06 PM.

Mathilda

Mathilda

Couch Potato

Forever shut up, Lori. You too, Carl.

THANK GOD Herchel did not die. I panicked about that from the moment the episode started. It was kind of sad to see him shooting all of those walkers, trying to defend his farm.

Rick should've told them all sooner. The risk was too great that someone could've died, like Beth, and risen and they wouldn't have been prepared for it. I expected a bigger reaction from the group. Now of course we're going to have ton of angst next season about whether or not they should all just go ahead and shoot themselves.

The whole time Glenn and Maggie were talking in the car I was like "LOCK YOUR DOORS!" I was convinced that a walker was going to attack the car and kill Glenn.

I was disappointed that Patricia and Jimmy were the only casualties. I know they didn't want to kill anyone else after killing Shane and Dale, but still. That was a fucking huge herd.

I laughed when Maggie said they should take their chances after listening to Carol's stupidity. I didn't expect Rick to turn into Shane at the end there, and I didn't expect the others to just stand around and take it.

IT'S HER IT'S HER. I'm not saying her name just in case that's considered a spoiler but that was still a good entrance. I expected something more to be made out of that, but it was pretty subdued.

Edited by Mathilda, Mar 18, 2012 @ 9:05 PM.

roybokhade

roybokhade

Channel Surfer

Should have known it took a zombie horde to get Lori to check on the whereabouts of her only child.

Jimmy, dude, Rick didn't say pull up the RV then throw yourself into the zombie masses. How lame could one person die?

Carl: "Dad how come the zombies are on fire but not burning?". Rick:"That's called CGI fire son".

Wonder if T-Dog realized that, as the only black man, he was driving Fred Sandford' truck.

Good season overall. Too bad it's over, for now, and too bad so few episodes are considered a season.

Rosiemom112629

Rosiemom112629

Couch Potato

That was awesome. The last three episodes have really redeemed this show in my eyes. I'm now waiting on tenterhooks for season 3.

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

Fanatic

• Interests:Moderating

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 9:05 PM

Be careful how you discuss Andrea's hooded savior in this thread. You know who it is from the comics and the media, but keep his/her future role out of this thread. Please anything to do with the character's identity and future plots to speculation.

Edited by TWoP Tennison, Mar 18, 2012 @ 9:06 PM.

Canada

Canada

Couch Potato

I turned around for a second..... what did happen to Laurie? Who saved her?

Can't wait for next season!!

Yes, Carol, you are a burden. You cook and do laundry. Wow. How is that Rick's fault????

JCScantling

JCScantling

Fanatic

One can only wonder if Lori would've been half upset if she was having that conversation with Shane instead of Rick.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

That was mostly FANTASTIC! Man fuck Rick! I loved the pacing of the episode. Very, very well done. I was on pins and needles. I loved the opening of it. No words, no dialogue. Just images, scenes. Loved it.

Rick is going dark now, eh? I kind of wish him, Carl and Lori would all die, and we can follow Andrea and Glenn and T-Dog.

Phan

Phan

Fanatic

Wow. Lori pits Shane and Rick against each other and gets mad when Rick does something about it. I... seriously... she needs to be dead next season.

I can't wait to see how they write Andrea meeting up with the rest of the group. Or maybe it doesn't happen and we see the ZA world from two perspectives for awhile, which would be kind of cool.

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

Post-Shane Rick is interesting. I wanna see where that goes.

This show does action/horror really well, even when they're not getting anything else right. That whole first act was fantastic. And one thing I think they've always nailed is the exhaustion/futility in running from a big crowd of zombies, so the stuff with Andrea in the woods was really great, too. And having something like this happen made the drama afterward feel more earned and effective.

I wanna give Lori the benefit of the doubt and recognize that she probably wasn't prepared for the reality of the loss of Shane even though she considered that it might come to that, but I still found her reaction to be incredibly unfair to Rick.

SDcat2009

SDcat2009

Stalker

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 9:06 PM

As if I couldn't hate Lori anymore...you stupid selfish horrible person. She's really going to be pissed off at Rick for killing Shane when that's what she was encouraging him to do? God Rick please kill her yourself!!!!

I knew it! I knew that's what Jenner told Rick at the CDC.

Andrea is so badass now.

Hardcore Rick is awesome.

Blue32

Blue32

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 9:06 PM

After the first 20 minutes of zombiepocalypse awesome, the rest of it was kind of a letdown (the same talk, talk, talk). Any time the characters get bogged down in a scene where they're just standing around talking, it starts to feel like a community theatre production, as posters have previously observed.

I hooted with laughter at Hershel's line, which was something like "Christ promised the resurrection of the dead...I kind of thought he had something else in mind." Hee hee.

A lot of weird acting choices in this show. Daryl and Andrea in particular didn't express any shock or surprise when they spotted the walker herd at the beginning of the episode. There wasn't even a muted reaction, there was no discernible reaction at all. They're hardcore and badass and all that, but seriously?

Edited by Blue32, Mar 18, 2012 @ 9:08 PM.

ReiMehari

ReiMehari

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 9:07 PM

I loved it.

Just one thing though... not sure if I cared for the delivery of the "we're all infected" scene."

I think it lacked the gravity it deserved. (In-Universe, that is. For us viewers, we had it figured it out)

Is it just me, guys?

Luckedout

Luckedout

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 9:07 PM

Synchronized gunshot redirection has been confirmed. Glenn with the quiet plan, vetoed by Daryl. They don't know how big the herd is; all that gunfire is attracting them all, reinforcing their direction. Would have been funny if they were lured to that cliffside for a lemmings reenactment. Either stick around and be quiet or shoot and run. They panicked with Carl, Rick and Shane missing, the news of Randall's broken neck. Too much too quickly. The house was never overrun. They could have all made it. Hindsight's 20/20, right? Jimmy could have locked the door or drive in reverse, no need to get out of the driver's seat. Where was Carol going? Lori saved Beth and when Andrea showed up, Carol ran away from the truck. Rick with a plan though. That was gutsy. That barn is tough as hell. Guess it could hold as many walkers as need be.

Carl wanders off again on the highway! Rick is apoligizing too much. He's around ten, discipline him. He's being a brat.

Silence is golden, Andrea. Every gunshot is a neon sign.

I like Rick, I see his point. If people want to leave, they can leave. But if he's the leader, then damn it, he's the leader. Being Mr. Nice Guy broke him because of Shane. Rick could have claimed ignorance about the infection, but he admitted it when it was proven true.

I think Lori is acting the way she is because she never expected Rick to do what he did and say that he did it because he was tired. And the whole Carl-shot-Zhane broke her image of innocent Carl, the boy wonder.

Canada

Canada

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 9:08 PM

Sorry, I meant to ask... what happened to Andrea? I turned around for a second when she was running through the forest surrounded by walkers and then her scenes were over.

Tiznowbaby

Tiznowbaby

Video Archivist

Oh, and I want a shotgun like Herschal's -- it takes FOREVER to run out of shells. That would be so handy during dove hunting season.

morrigan2575

morrigan2575

Fanatic

Oh yeah, Rick's a real prince...I think I'd have preferred Shane and if I was in that group, I'd have taken Rick down, can't stand him right now. Shit, when I despise Rick more than Lori...there's something wrong with the writing. I can't stand how much of a sycophant Hershel is around. It also bugged the crap out of me that the big issue Rick kept repeating (in regards to Shane) was that Shane kept questioning him...no wonder dares question the all powerful Rick...

Not really happy with this ending...I don't even know who had the sword but I'd rather run with them then hang with Rick and his little whimpy gang. This also isn't doing much for my Daryl appreciation he's way too submissive to Rick..guess Daryl's found his new Merle.

Honestly was not happy with this episode.

ReiMehari

ReiMehari

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 9:09 PM

Now people can see why a lot of us comic fans dislike Lori.

bosawks

bosawks

Fanatic

• Interests:Ennui, regret and baseball. And I do love an ellipses...

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 9:09 PM

So what drove Rick over the edge, killing Shane or being married to
Lori.

I'm curious as to why Rick was so immediately against going back for Andrea. Did he learn from the Sophia experience about risking the whole for the one? Did he not feel responsible for her fate so he didn't have the need to atone? Did killing Shane just use him up and there's nothing left?

BuddhaBelly

BuddhaBelly

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 9:11 PM

1) I'm loving Darth Rick. I wonder if he's going to be like that from now on or if he's just reacting from the stress of everything that happened within 24 hours. His moods were all over the place and his desperation was blatant.

2) WTF Carol? Where does this bitch get off talking about Rick like that? Rick and Daryl were both in woods looking for your daughter or did you forget that? Now he doesn't have honor? Now Daryl is his henchman? When has Daryl henched?

3) Lori showed her true colors plane and simple. Rick needs to kick her to the curb now,

4) Why didn't they think about siphoning gas while they were on the highway?

5) I'm on the fence about Rick keeping that a secret. I understand why he did and I understand why everyone is pissed.

6) Is is just me or is everyone low key in their mind blaming Rick for the herd?

ReiMehari

ReiMehari

Couch Potato

Also, I'm glad to see bad-ass Rick.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Sorry, I meant to ask... what happened to Andrea? I turned around for a second when she was running through the forest surrounded by walkers and then her scenes were over.

She was saved by a person in a hooded shawl wielding a samurai sword leading two armless walkers on chains. It was as awesome as it sounds.

housekeeper

housekeeper

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 9:12 PM

Yes, Carol, you are a burden. You cook and do laundry. Wow. How is that Rick's fault????

Where did Carol say that was Rick's fault ? I took that scene as Carol finally saying aloud she hasn't done anything to help out as she should which I'm hoping means she'll get more stronger in season 3 and actually shoot a gun or learn how to use a crossbow to kill the walkers !
Rick was freaking crazy in this episode and he is so losing it LOL !! I was afraid for Andrea and felt sorry for her.. Except for a couple of mentions about possibilby going back for her everyone was ready to move on without her and they seemed rather heartless IMO !!

Edited by housekeeper, Mar 18, 2012 @ 9:13 PM.

rockin01

rockin01

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 9:13 PM

DAY-UMM!! Now, THAT is how you do a Season Finale! The Walkers are herding! The campers are on the road! Darryl saves Carol! Glenn quits being such a tease to Maggie! T-Dog grows a personality! Andrea is saved by a Hooded Stranger! Rick grows a pair! But Lori is still alive? Has there ever been a more useless, more annoying waste of oxygen than that whiny, scrawny ho? Aggggghhh!

djsunyc

djsunyc

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 9:13 PM

I thought that was a good episode but a little perturbed that the two zombies chained up by mysterious hooded figure looked black. I mean chained up zombies...did they have to be black? Unless that plays into the role of the mysterious zombie person as a southern racist.