When you look at an individual post, the changes aren't so subtle. We're going to get through this! Like a family! The first shot shows the header and a couple of posts, so you can see it's the the same basic links as on the forum page, plus "Add Reply."
Here's a single post (by a particularly charming person) so you can see the details a little more clearly:
- Under the name at left is the user title, and then 2 icons. The first goes to the user's profile page, and the other is for Private Messages (if the user doesn't allow PMs, you won't see the icon.) If you click the PM link, it opens a compose message pop-up so you can write the message without leaving the page.
- At bottom left is a "report" link. We have "report" links in the current setup but they aren't functional. This will be -- if you click that link you'll go to a new page where you can describe the problem. A link is automatically inserted in the report; you don't have to do anything but type "Trolling" or "Boards on boards" or whatever. (There is a "cancel" option if you click it accidentally, or just want to see how it works.) Those reports then get queued up for review by mods. This may replace the FTC and TP, or it may not. I can't say until we can test it with actual reports; all I can tell you is we'll give it a try, and maybe it'll be awesome and maybe it'll be terrible, and we'll let you know. For now: you can use it, or you can stick to FTC/TP posts.
- You can see that the "quote" format is a little different, with a header and a smaller font for quoted text.
- The other big deal is over on the right side of the post, at the bottom. Those little + and - icons mean that you can give "reputation points." We are going to try this very slowly and cautiously; it's another thing that may be great or may be terrible. In order to minimize the chance of terribleness we are going to start by only allowing 5 upvotes per day. Downvotes won't be allowed at all initially; if we do roll that part out it will come later. I think the good side is that if you can give a "+1", it might cut down on people who post just to say "Ha" or "Me too!" I'm not going to describe all the possible ways people might abuse it, but that's why we're limiting it to 5/day to start. I have seen this system work really well in some places and really badly in others, but since it is built in, I thought we should give it a try. I can disable it completely or modify the settings as we see how it works.
- Answers to obvious questions: you can't give points to moderators or staff. You won't know who awarded you points. And I really want to stress that it will have no effect on anything. If you get a point, you'll know at least one person out there liked your post. Which is nice! That's the sum total of what it means.
- And finally: checking the settings for that is one of the things I need to do after the update is done Wednesday morning. So if you hit the forum before I've done that, it may work, it may not, or you may be able to do something I just said that you can't. I'll post when I've finished doing the things I have to fiddle with.
Oh, and when you look at your own posts you'll see your own warning log under your name like before, and you will also see an "edit" link at the bottom (instead of the top, where it used to be).
I know there's more "empty space" at the bottom of posts than we are used to -- you can't see them, but moderator options are down there now, so that's why. As with the new quote format, I'm not crazy about it, but it took a lot of work to get things to resemble the current posts even this much. I'll try to find a screenshot of one of the early tests so you can see what our starting point was, because...oy.
Edited by Strega, Mar 18, 2012 @ 8:10 PM.