20-5: "Uglier Than a Mud Rail Fence (Bavaria, Germany)" 2012.03.18

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

177 replies to this topic

ribboninthesky1

ribboninthesky1

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 9:21 PM

Dave, do not blame your wife for not completely getting the directions when you didn't listen either. You are both responsible for how well your team does on this race.

He didn't blame her for anything. He asked her, "Now, what?" and she responded, "Well, you read the same directions I did, Dave." And when he says, "I wasn't paying attention," she responds, "Well you should have been paying attention, then." I'm not really sure how that response gets them back on the right track. Never mind that SHE wasn't paying attention, either, apparently.

Ugh, both Rachels could disappear off my screen, and I wouldn't mind at all. Maybe Brendon and Dave could pair up and actually be more competitive.

Edited by ribboninthesky1, Mar 18, 2012 @ 9:21 PM.

sinycalone

sinycalone

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 9:21 PM

I've toured both of the castles (in Germany), and they are fairly close. Plus, IIRC, you head up the same road initially towards both of them. Also, we knew that Ludwig's bedroom was in Neuschwanstein (sp) before we toured the castles...and apparently none of them knew much about Ludwig.

Did anyone else think they were supposed to take both gnomes with them to the pit step...especially when they focused on the gnome Art & JJ left behind. And the did the same for each team. Nope.

Actually, only Vanessa and Ralph irritated me this week and Art/JJ (to a lesser degree). She can be shrewish, that's for sure. Some of the other teams had their snippy moments....but nothing unbearable.

shura

shura

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 9:22 PM

"Who knew that two Southern, pink-lipstick-wearing girls would make it this far?". Yes, Stacy and Kerri, you are an inspiration to us all. Yawn.

Edited because I DO know the difference between Bavaria and Austria.

Ha, I'm not sure the same can be said about TAR. Why did the show have Strauss over closing credits?

lacey81

lacey81

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 9:23 PM

I love when they show places I've actually been to. Neuschwanstein! Hohenschwangau!

The two castles really seem to be right next to each other from the ground, but you have to go on an uphill path to get to each, in opposite directions. I walked that path up to Neushwanstein and it's very do-able, but I wasn't racing at the time either. It's not short. You do end up pretty high.

I'm wondering if there was fog for the later teams. From the road that leads up to the two paths, you really clearly see both castles. I can't see how anyone who got the "Sleeping Beauty" description would pick Hohenschwangau over Neuschwanstein if they see both.

cassyinjax

cassyinjax

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 9:28 PM

If they've never been to Disney Land, that could be why they wouldn't know which is which. And didn't we see Dave and Rachel ask someone which castle was the Sleeping Beauty one, and get told Hohenschwangau? And Nary and Jamie went along with them. Just one of those sucks to be you moments.

sinycalone

sinycalone

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 9:32 PM

Yep, Dave and Rachel did ask -- and were told to go to the wrong castle. Taking that tour (along with the Faux Teachers) had to be so frustrating...even when they thought it was the right castle. Who wants to dawdle along with a bunch of tourists?

Tigger 7

Tigger 7

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 9:37 PM

I think Rachel reads/hears something and skips straight to whining without first processing the information. In choosing detour options, she said, "I don't even know what a beard is." So bizarre.

Thank you. Since nobody before you mentioned that, I was starting to think I had misheard what Rachel said. I remember thinking that she really couldn't be THAT stupid.

Did Brendon trip or wipe out on a cow patty?

There was also one racer who mentioned she had never seen that much snow in her life. (Was it one of the losing team?) It was around that time that I was looking at the snow and thinking that if they had teams on there from places that don't (or rarely) get snow, that would be some pretty tough driving for them. Those of us who have to drive on snow every winter know what a challenge it can sometimes be, especially when you aren't used to it (like after the first snowfall of the year when you haven't had it for a long while).

Miss Molly

Miss Molly

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 9:39 PM

I loved this epi because of the scenery. We've barely had a flake of snow in Ontario this year and I miss it SO much! Add in the incredible castles, the which and caldron - and I would have picked this task in a heartbeat - and the curling gnomes with the bonus of Brendon going splat in manure and we have a winner! The beard task was kind of gross and I can't imagine the men were happy getting all that hair spray all over their faces.

Arekuru

Arekuru

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 9:41 PM

Ha, I'm not sure the same can be said about TAR. Why did the show have Strauss over closing credits?

Because that was the Sleeping Beauty Waltz... Or at least, I think it was. Now that I've said it, I'm not sure.

Edited by Arekuru, Mar 18, 2012 @ 9:43 PM.

Lamb18

Lamb18

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 9:47 PM

There was also one racer who mentioned she had never seen that much snow in her life.

That was Vanessa. It doesn't snow in San Antonio.

Mama Tiger

Mama Tiger

Stalker

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 9:50 PM

Bavaria has some merciful judges. I do think either the yodeling judge or the beard judge (when juding the Guidos) were totally satisfied. But I think they decided to accept "close enough" rather than making teams suffer any more.

Judging by the speed at which the bearded dudes were tossing back beer, if the judge was joining them, he was probably in no condition to be too harsh a judge. As for the yodeling, as a speed bump it's just a task designed to waste a little time, so probably once the required amount of time had passed, he was instructed to let them go. Kentucky had so much fun doing it, too -- although I really felt for their camera and sound guys, trapped in a small car with two yodeling fools!

Although the dairy barn probably was a bit fragrant, at least it was a nice warm place for Phil and the greeter (presumably the farmer) to wait. And those were really pretty cows, too! We were kind of hoping that one of the cows would be the greeter, but alas....

SueR

SueR

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 9:56 PM

I also was shocked when Ralph said he had been married 3 times. I cannot imagine any woman would want to take a chance on being the 4th. I'm really liking the border guards more and more. They're very polite and pleasant to any of the locals they deal with. They also never fight with each other. I think all their talk is partly to psych themselves up. I want to like the "teachers" but I found at the end that I really didn't care which team lost. I find them both equally boring. I'm starting to see that Rachel can be as nasty as her husband (Dave.) maybe it's not all his fault. And the guidos are quickly becoming my favorites to my great surprise.

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

• Interests:Music, theater (musical but also other), reading

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 9:57 PM

Because that was the Sleeping Beauty Waltz... Or at least, I think it was. Now that I've said it, I'm not sure.

It was Johann Strauss's Artist's Life ("Künsterleben") Waltz, not Tchaikovsky's Sleeping Beauty Waltz.

Of course it's a matter of personal preference, but to me there are lots of worse things in the world than confidence in one's own abilities, particularly in the context of a game.

Edited by Rinaldo, Mar 18, 2012 @ 10:01 PM.

Cyranetta

Cyranetta

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 10:01 PM

Besides the gorgeous scenery and locations of many consonants, I loved the beard-styling task (both for the local color and the surprising skills of some of the racers) and the gnome-curling. Both I found really engaging to watch. The gingerbread decorating, not so much, mainly because it kept BB Rachel on the screen (never watched her before and can't wait for her to exit), but at least there was the lovely moment when Mark of the Kentucky team admired the good job that Team Cousins had done on their gingerbread house.

The one sneaky thing about the gnome-curling was that it led you to wonder whether or not the teams remembered to take their own gnomes with them (which is NOT a guarantee!), especially with certain lingering camera shots of gnomes-on-ice once the task was accomplished.

Tigger 7

Tigger 7

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 10:05 PM

I was under the impression that the shots of the gnomes on ice at the end of each task was to show us how much each gnome was on the button.

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 10:05 PM

Anyone who's been to Disneyland should have known automatically that Hohenschwangau Castle was the wrong one, because Sleeping Beauty's castle isn't yellow. Also, would have been funnier if a Koopa Troopa had told them they were in the wrong castle.

At Disney World, it's Cinderella's castle. Is it Sleeping Beauty's castle at Disneyland?

I'm liking the Jersey Boys, Art/JJ, Brenchel, and Kentucky. I can't stand the other two couples.

BoDiva

BoDiva

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 10:09 PM

Really, the only thing I have against the fake Guidos is the stupid name. If they were Joey and Danny they'd be fine. For Phil to stoop to calling him Joey Fitness? Blech.

hlyntunstl

hlyntunstl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 10:20 PM

I think Rachel reads/hears something and skips straight to whining without first processing the information. In choosing detour options, she said, "I don't even know what a beard is." So bizarre.

Thank you. Since nobody before you mentioned that, I was starting to think I had misheard what Rachel said. I remember thinking that she really couldn't be THAT stupid.

I thought the same thing which is why I replayed it twice just to make sure she did actually say that. She also asked "What about going to Bolivia?" so nothing out of her mouth surprises me.

tgrfan23

tgrfan23

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 10:29 PM

At Disney World, it's Cinderella's castle. Is it Sleeping Beauty's castle at Disneyland?

That's correct. Two different Magic Kingdoms, two different castles.

pakelihe

pakelihe

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 10:41 PM

I wonder what altitude they were at. Bopper wasn't the only one who seemed to be having trouble walking up to the castle.

I've done that walk (at the age of 17), and still remember it not so fondly 30 years later. It's not particularly high altitude, but it's a long steady climb up. If I remember right, it was a solid 30-45 minute brisk walk, and we weren't in a race. I've got asthma, and remember having to use an inhaler at the end of the hike.

They really should have verified exactly which castle to go to with a local. It's a tourist destination, and pretty much anyone would have known where to send them.

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

• Interests:Music, theater (musical but also other), reading

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 10:42 PM

Two different Magic Kingdoms, two different castles.

Sleeping Beauty was chosen for the first one partly because when Disneyland was first opened (with many a featured hour on the weekly "Disneyland" series), the next big animated fairy tale on the horizon was Sleeping Beauty, though it took years to reach completion.

Is the status of Neuschwanstein as an inspiration for Disney's castle that well known in Bavaria, though? I would have thought the locals knew of it mostly as the extravagant folly of crazy King Ludwig. But I guess if you live next door to it, you get to know even the Californian pop-culture connections eventually. (And indeed, some of the locals seemed to know when asked.)

Edited by Rinaldo, Mar 18, 2012 @ 10:46 PM.

SirDigbyPollo

SirDigbyPollo

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 11:03 PM

I've been liking Vanessa less and less and now I don't like her anymore. Ralph is over her, too

That was my take, too. He looks to be totally done with her. If you've seen some of the extra clips, he's gotten disgusted with her making nasty comments about the other teams. Free Ralph!

At one point, I noticed Art and JJ in a carriage at the castle. Did they take that up or down, and were they the only ones?

They took it up. I didn't see if they took it down. I think they were the only one to use it, which was kinda funny because you could see the carriages when the other teams were going up and down the road to the castle.

And the guidos are quickly becoming my favorites to my great surprise.

Yep. I appreciate that Art & JJ are running a great race, but they don't need to be so cocky about it, particularly since JJ pointed out in the last leg that the "race is gnarly and it takes you from the highs to the lows, and it is rapid.” Joey and Danny are doing well, don't take themselves too seriously, and seem to be enjoying themselves. I'd pick them for the final 3.

Dave should appreciate Rachel more after this leg. She got them through the beard styling, and completely rocked at the gnome-curling. He was just riding her coat tails on this leg.

Fukui San

Fukui San

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 11:06 PM

Art & JJ would be what it'd be like if two Colins had raced together.

I learned about Mad Ludwig's castles from the Stuff You Missed in History podcast. Well worth a listen. I think they were never actually finished.

The cows looking at each team was great. They need to do a Hitchcock inspired "The Birds" pit stop next. They just have to train a room full of birds to glare at them menacingly.

Lots of close finishes by the last place teams this season, paired with no suspense at the top of the ticket.

pandagirl

pandagirl

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 11:09 PM

Is the status of Neuschwanstein as an inspiration for Disney's castle that well known in Bavaria, though? I would have thought the locals knew of it mostly as the extravagant folly of crazy King Ludwig. But I guess if you live next door to it, you get to know even the Californian pop-culture connections eventually. (And indeed, some of the locals seemed to know when asked.)

I think that the locals would all know the story of Sleeping Beauty in terms of it being a fairytale written by the brothers Grimm. The princess is cursed to sleep for 100 (500?) years and the bedroom they were looking for was supposed to be a model for the one in the fairytale.

Gajic

Gajic

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 11:21 PM

The editors want me to love them, but I still can't stand Mark and Bopper. They are hamming it up for the cameras and it gets on my nerves. It's like having cartoon characters run the race. Just shut up and stop being so fake.

I also immediately thought of Toad telling Mario "Thank you mario! But our princess is in another castle!"

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 11:23 PM

I enjoyed this leg, mainly because of the scenery. I think if I were in the race, I'd just be gawking at everything. So gorgeous. AND when I walked into the barn at the pit stop, I couldn't stop myself from saying, "MOOOO!" I must moo when I see a cow.

I didn't mind Vanessa and Ralph's fight at that much. I think it started with Vanessa being tired, and she just got worse the more she had to walk. Their whole tiff just didn't look that serious to me.

I just don't get Rachel saying she didn't know what a beard was. I mean, what?

I'm not sure how the gingerbread trail was set up. I think there was only one trail, so what was to prevent a team from picking up all the gingerbread?

I love the beard challenge. What a lot of fun. I didn't really understand picking the longest beard. Seems like the shortest would be the easiest. And I agree that the judge at times seemed to be thinking, "Eh. Good enough."

From beard curling to gnome curling! I want to do that. What fun! I wonder if they couldn't use the brooms because of the risk of falling on their asses. Well, where's there's a will, there's a Brendon.

I wonder why only Art & JJ used the horse & carriage. Until the very end I thought that perhaps the clue had specified they had to walk, so Art & JJ would get a penalty. But that wasn't the case.

Although they're kind of boring, Nary & Jamie seem pretty nice. I particularly liked how calm they both were during the ice curling. Also, Jamie reminds me of the blonde doctor who won ... last season?

I wasn't sorry to see Kerri & Stacy go.

The Pseudo Guidos seem like good guys. I'm not sure which is which. Is Joey the slightly leaner one? He seems sweet.

SnarklePuss

SnarklePuss

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 11:29 PM

BB Rachel: "That's a mean-looking witch!"
Me: "Takes one to know one, sweetie."

So ... more male grooming again next week?

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 11:42 PM

I am confused about what happened between Vanessa and Ralph. Usually I think she's nasty and he's okay, but tonight it seemed to me that he was completely wrong and she hadn't done anything. She wanted tot ake a carraige to the castle-- it would have ben faster and also spared their energy. Border Patrol took one, so we know they were available and went to the right place. But Ralph refused for no apparent reason, then he wouldn't stop berating her, and all she wanted was for him to shut up-- he got his way, so why was he being a dick about it? He already knows she's not as fast as he is, and unlike other pairs with a slower partner, he didn't want to carry her stuff for her until the very end and he never stopped mocking her. Then he talked about how he enjoyed seeing her suffer, he knew her legs were burning and it just made him happy? And he's not willing to let it go even when she tries to make up with him later.

I don't like her, but in this particular incident, I thought he was 100% at fault and she was completely right.

Did I miss something, that would flip the interpretation of events in his favor?

As far as everything else goes, I like that they haven't had this race turn on taxi luck. I usually like Kerri and Staci but tonight I was desperate for them to get the hell off my screen. Whichever one of them neither drives nor navigates needed to at least stop acting like it didn't matter. And the dynamic between them was just too annoying. I am very aware that the editing manipulates my view, but it worked! It worked!!

Loving Mark and Bopper more and more every episode. I really hope they somehow start moving up the ranks, but I'm not convinced they will.

Nary and Jamie seemed to have a little more personality this time, but it's still not enough. And I can't figure out why they are lagging so much. They seem physically fit and they don't bicker. It's not just the fail at the gnome curling, they seem to generally be not power players and I'm not sure what their weaknesses are because we almost never see them at work.

Can't stand: Rachel and Dave, Ralph and Vanessa, Rachel and Brendon.

Feeling less irritation with Border Control and Joey and Danny, but don't really find them interesting, either. Unfortunately, unless they flame out, they are probably going to be in the final 3. Of course, they could flame out. Art and JJ are getting the edit that will make them winning into a completely boring non-event, and Joey and Danny have enough weaknesses that you never know. They did wind up at the back of the pack in the earlier legs.

I thought the tasks were okay-- it was mostly skill, no KF, no obvious advantages/disadvantages to any team, and no "pushing past your fears" so it could have given the teams more of an opportunity to show their personalities. Mostly Mark and Bopper were the ones to do that, but they've been doing that all along. The others were either too busy fighting with their teammate, or just being kind of bland.

There's been very little in the way of physical challenges or contextual challenges or brain challenges so far this season. It's been kind of rote, and the footage they're getting reflects that.

I think the tasks sound like they'd be amusing, and I can't think of what I'd want them to skip, but I don't think it's really feeling like a race because people aren't seeming to be stretching themselves at all, except for Bopper nearly collapsing on the hike to the castle.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 11:43 PM

I think this episode will also serve as Phil's submission for Best Host at the Emmys. The best part was explaining the gingerbread house Detour. Right after he finishes the spiel, the witch cackles in glee . . . and Phil gives her The Eyebrow. That was magic.

ETA for Gajic: I don't think either Bopper or Mark play things up for the cameras. For textbook unfunny mugging, see BJ & Tyler, the "hippies" of TAR9.

Edited by Lantern7, Mar 18, 2012 @ 11:46 PM.

selkie

selkie

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 11:47 PM

I wonder why only Art & JJ used the horse & carriage.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was an extra charge to take horse & carriage to the top. I've seen that kind of thing in other touristy areas.