8-19: "Get The Girrl" 2012.03.15

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

83 replies to this topic

BoogieBurns

BoogieBurns

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 8:36 PM

From Office Tally

Andy takes a road trip to change his life. Meanwhile, Nellie shows up in Scranton and tries to claim the manager position.

Decent episode. Only laughed when Creed stole Dwight's desk. I guess the episode would have been better if I were an Andy-Erin shipper. But I am not.

Thoughts?

FtMyer7

FtMyer7

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 8:51 PM

If Nellie becomes a recurring character or ends up replacing Robert California next season, I'm done.

LizDC

LizDC

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 8:52 PM

I can't stand Erin. Her idiocy isn't cute and charming, it's annoying.

I was more amused by Nellie this time around than the last time she was in Scranton. She's still strange, though.

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 8:56 PM

Erin's old lady friend was hilarious, and Erin was a functioning adult this week (which was actually as distractingly out of character as it was a relief), but I don't care about Andy and Erin, and going down to get her without breaking up with his girlfriend first (or at least on the way) was skeevy.

Liked the office story, though. Good, if still unfocused, use of Spader, and much less irritating use of Nellie than in the Florida arc. And this was a good episode for both Jim and Pam (especially the cold open, for her).

Blaze Domingo

Blaze Domingo

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 9:36 PM

Erin's old lady friend was hilarious

I agree. She needs a show of her own. At this point, it would probably be more interesting than The Office.

sky dog

sky dog

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 9:50 PM

Eh, there were a few good moments, but this was pretty mediocre.

"The girl with the cute nails and the tiny feet..." Angela starts walking forward, "Phyllis!"

"I'm reusing the hot dog water. It's only going to get better."

"Would you prefer a nature analogy or a sex analogy?"
"Oh, nature. Please."
"When two animals are having sex..."

Sunshine55

Sunshine55

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 9:55 PM

I thought this episode was a little uneven. I was more amused by Nellie than I ever expected to be. I thought her interactions with Pam were funny. I loved "she's not qualified to manage a celery farm," and Jim's freaked-out interaction with Robert -- the animal/sexual metaphors.
But I agree with others that the Andy-Erin story just isn't ... something.... interesting? As someone else mentioned, Erin suddenly behaving like a rational adult was a little off-putting. I did enjoy Georgia Engel, though, and I thought Andy and Erin's toothbrush conversation was pretty funny.

EverythingIsRen

EverythingIsRen

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 9:58 PM

I got over the whole Andy/Erin thing a long time ago, and have been mostly annoyed by them for a while, but they were kinda cute tonight. Notice how in the episode where they get back together, Andy loses his job. Way to avoid having the manager date the receptionist. Come to think of it, if the show actually acknowledged that issue, it might have been a better obstacle than Andy wanting Erin, then not wanting her, then dating some random woman we don't know or care about.

I didn't love her in Florida, but I think Nellie was great in this episode. She might be just the right kind of kooky for Scranton. In many ways, she's very similar to Robert with all of these nonsensical ways of inspiring/convincing people, but I think Catherine Tate might be handling the role better than James Spader has been. Of course, I'm only saying this after seeing her interact with the Scranton set as a whole (minus Andy and Erin), rather than just a select few, like before. But I also think the energy is better in general when the whole cast (or almost all of them) is together.

And this was a good episode for both Jim and Pam (especially the cold open, for her).

Totally agree. The cold open actually reminded me of the one where they watched the cube on the DVD screen saver hit the corner. I love watching Pam get so excited about stupid stuff like that. It shows how boring day-to-day life is there if that's what they get excited about.

Bookface

Bookface

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 10:03 PM

Wasn't a great episode, but I loved Jim just sitting there in disbelief while everyone applauded Nellie.

Edited by Bookface, Mar 15, 2012 @ 10:03 PM.

Sunshine55

Sunshine55

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 10:09 PM

Also, I think this was just the right use of James Spader. IMO, he was more like the Robert California I was expecting to see after his appearance in the season finale. If he truly is leaving after this season, I will miss his weird randomness. But he's like a strong spice -- a little bit of him goes a long way. He may have been too prevalent in some of the episodes, but last week and this week he was just right. But then again, I've been a Spader fan since "sex lies and videotape," so he's always a welcome presence on my TV screen.
One thing I didn't quite get: Why was he so afraid to tell Nellie that she can't just assume power? Was it the Jo Bennett connection, was he intimidated by Nellie, has he lost his mojo since his divorce?

Blaze Domingo

Blaze Domingo

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 10:24 PM

IMO, he was more like the Robert California I was expecting to see after his appearance in the season finale.

Not me. This Robert California was a spineless jellyfish, and nothing at all like the RC from "Search Committee." For reasons you outlined yourself:

One thing I didn't quite get: Why was he so afraid to tell Nellie that she can't just assume power? Was it the Jo Bennett connection, was he intimidated by Nellie, has he lost his mojo since his divorce?

He basically got steamrolled by Nellie. If this is who Robert California really is, then I'm glad he won't be back next year.

seminoles1

seminoles1

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 10:59 PM

That was the worst, most unrealistic piece of crap I've ever seen. I honestly can't remember an episode of any TV show that I watched that was worse. The writers should be absolutely ashamed of themselves.

niklj

niklj

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 11:36 PM

I was all ready to applaud the writers for going against expectations and actually ending that Andy-Erin storyline...and then they had to do the cliche run-after-the-true-love-before-they-leave thing. Ugh. Ughhhh.

I didn't like Nellie until she used her magical powers to draw Pam into a nap. And also: "Chumbo."

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 12:02 AM

Jo may not be the most objective person in the universe, but I don't think she'd condone the wanton granting of raises, either. It's hard to see her and Nellie as friends on any level, to be honest. Nellie is crazier than Jan, and Jo is a no nonsense sort of person. I can't see Nellie lasting. She's too much. She's crazier than Dwight, or maybe just the mirror image of him.

LiberryLady

LiberryLady

Stalker

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 12:05 AM

I actually liked this episode. I've only been meh on Nellie (despite my deep love for her as my favorite Companion) but she was weirdly compelling tonight.

And bless Georgia Engel. She needs a Betty White-style career renaissance, STAT!

karra

karra

Fanatic

• Interests:Writing, reading, baking.

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 4:13 AM

Isn't this basically how Robert California got his job?

KittyMarthaPoo

KittyMarthaPoo

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 7:22 AM

Jo may not be the most objective person in the universe, but I don't think she'd condone the wanton granting of raises, either. It's hard to see her and Nellie as friends on any level, to be honest. Nellie is crazier than Jan, and Jo is a no nonsense sort of person. I can't see Nellie lasting. She's too much. She's crazier than Dwight, or maybe just the mirror image of him.

I totally agree. I'm just not a fan of Nellie. She's TOO crazy.

I actually have always liked Andy & Erin together & are glad she chased after his car.

I am so tired of all of Jim's goofy faces to the camera, after all these years & years & years.

dreamer55

dreamer55

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 7:30 AM

I don't care about Andy and Erin, and going down to get her without breaking up with his girlfriend first (or at least on the way) was skeevy.

Keep in mind, Jim did it, too. He left Karen in New York with no warning to come home and ask out Pam.

I'm clearly in the minority here, but I ADORE Andy and Erin. I've been rooting for them just as much as I rooted for Jim and Pam years ago. I'm glad Andy has matured (no more wall punching) and lives his life so wide-open. And Erin is so ridiculous that she's adorkable, plus she has the best airheaded giggle. And in this particular episode, Andy was genuine, not all goofy, uncomfortable grins as he usually is.

I can't stand Nellie. At all. Obnoxious and not funny. Go away, thanks. Loved Pam: "I think... you're.... a bitch."

Did Andy really lose his job? Or will this conflict continue and/or be righted when he gets back to Scranton?

MsSweatpants

MsSweatpants

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 7:48 AM

Michael left nearly a year ago. The "OMG! Who will be our manager?!?!" train left the station a long, long time ago.

I don't like Nellie. She's grating, and the storyline is not realistic in the least. I don't mind quirkiness or some wacky hijinks--- but there needs to be some realism. Even Michael had SOME business sense when push came to shove, but Nellie seems to be utterly clueless.

Darryl wasn't a contender for the management position because he gave up on school, among other things... but Nellie can have a multitude of jobs, despite admitting SHE has little education and no relevant experience?

This is an office that can take off in the middle of the day to do whatever random activities they please, have endless meetings and training sessions about nothing, and yet Andy will lose his job because he took one sick day? (Yes, I know he wasn't actually sick, but RC doesn't necessarily know that.) What kind of CEO replaces an employee on that basis?

tominboston

tominboston

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 7:52 AM

The balloon death scene was really funny.

I actually like Andy, and I like Erin, and the romance plot works for me. Andy is a romantic dork and I can see how he'd be attracted to Erin, odd as she is. Erin is childlike and sheltered (I prefer that description to "not too bright") and I can see how she would be attracted to a nice older guy like Andy. So for me it makes sense.

I agree with those who feel that the show has lost some of its direction since Michael left, but for me it's still one of the better comedies on TV. Maybe it's just because I feel that I've gotten to know the characters so well over the years and I still enjoy them.

mansfolly

mansfolly

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 8:06 AM

"I think... you're.... a bitch."

I thought Pam said "witch" - which to me was funny.

Sister Magpie

Sister Magpie

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 9:15 AM

Keep in mind, Jim did it, too. He left Karen in New York with no warning to come home and ask out Pam.

But he broke up with her in New York before he asked out Pam, I think was the idea. Had Pam said no Jim still would have been broken up with Karen.

I can't stand Nellie. At all. Obnoxious and not funny. Go away, thanks. Loved Pam: "I think... you're.... a bitch."

Pam said she thought she was a witch, because she'd just seduced her into a nap and a fake raise.

ce2421

ce2421

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 9:34 AM

The whole Andy/Erin thing doesnt work for me. Two seasons ago, they start dating. We come back after summer break, she's now with Gabe. With no real explanation of what happened. Unless I missed something. Sorry, nice characters, but I'm not emotionaly involved in the plot line at all.

The Office is a HOF show. But time to stick a fork in it.

Nukerjsr

Nukerjsr

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 9:44 AM

You know, I rarely want to criticize the acting here with The Office, because everyone is usually good at there roles, but there are two people I really need to call out.

Erin was so aggravating during her half of the episode. It was all about her being bitter about Andy coming back, and while Andy clearly loves her, he doesn't give a clear answer if he's going to break up with Jessica. And when Andy leaves, and the old lady (who I hated) comes out saying that she was just testing Andy, Erin runs back to him. And that conversation really is just "Andy, Wait. I do love you." And it's really that simple and plainly delivered with no comment over the situation? Bad job, Elie Kemper.

And I was actually kind of bothered by Jim during the episode. Like, he's trying to defend Andy and dissuade people from Nellie, but he's soooo bad at it. Like, Jim and Andy have been friends, but that's been really sliding over the past few seasons. Maybe Krasinski is so set playing Jim that he only acts that certain way, but, he's just like a flailing fish during his scenes.

I actually kind of like Nellie, because it feels like we'll have a center. She just has a really bizarre sort of charm and charisma to her, that I'm drawn to watch her. And Catherine Tate is trying her damnedest to read her lines and motivate people and I really liked how she was getting the rest of The Office into her shenanigans. I'm actually looking forward to what she's going to do...

FreeperDave

FreeperDave

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 10:25 AM

That was the worst, most unrealistic piece of crap I've ever seen. I honestly can't remember an episode of any TV show that I watched that was worse. The writers should be absolutely ashamed of themselves.

Amen. Compared to this, Dwight stabbing a CRP dummy is the height of sophistication.

Some lady just walks into the office, sits in the manager's chair and pretends to be the new manager. And people go along with this. Maybe she is a witch.

This might make sense if the CEO isn't also in the same office.

What a mucky, stupid, unrealistic mess they have made of this show.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 10:37 AM

It seemed like Toby knew she was going to be there, so what was the plan from Sabre's perspective?

WAnglais1

WAnglais1

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 10:45 AM

I actually kind of like Nellie, because it feels like we'll have a center. She just has a really bizarre sort of charm and charisma to her, that I'm drawn to watch her. And Catherine Tate is trying her damnedest to read her lines and motivate people and I really liked how she was getting the rest of The Office into her shenanigans. I'm actually looking forward to what she's going to do...

Me, too. I think they're going more of a Brentesque direction with her. And that makes me happy.

Was it the best episode ever? No. Was it the worst? Nope. (The one after The Superbowl, Dwight setting the office on fire, and the one with the banker are still tied there.) And I wish they would decide if Erin is stupid or what. She's an idiot with technology, but an emotional savant? Please.

Col Bat Guano

Col Bat Guano

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 10:57 AM

And I wish they would decide if Erin is stupid or what. She's an idiot with technology, but an emotional savant? Please.

Bingo. Why are we supposed to care about her? One minute she seems too stupid to breath without a coach (can't sort pills?) and the next she's delivering keen insight into why she and Andy just aren't right. Then, seconds later based on the advice of a woman she's known for two weeks she tosses that all aside. Pick a personality and stick with it writers.

Cerpintaxt815

Cerpintaxt815

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 11:03 AM

Oh god, Nellie in Scranton? Please no!!

bolistoli

bolistoli

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 11:07 AM

AMEN!!! I've been watching this show since day one and this was by far the stupidest, most idiotic waste of time yet. Who wrote this rubbish? Nellie is an annoying nut case and why do they keep writing Erin so dumb? They make this mistake all the time in sitcoms - let's make this character a moron because that will make them funnier. No..it doesn't. It makes them more pathetic, aggravating and ridiculous. How the hell would ANYONE that stupid get through life?

This show is circling the drain, IMO.