David Anders as Attending Physician Dr. Whale

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

304 replies to this topic

Hick

Hick

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 5:39 AM

Good question, if they borrow from Scheherazade/One Thousand and One Nights, then Dr. Whale could also be Sinbad the sailor or even an actual genie.

Sydney Glass/missing mirror already was the Genie of Agrabah.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 6:32 PM

- Merlin (because he was also some sort of Doctor)
- The Little Mermaid's Prince (because a Whale belongs to the ocean, much like a mermaid does)
- Peter Pan (because he acted like a classic child-man in his date with Mary Margareth)

This has already been said but sense we have seen how the curse changes people, Dr. Whale might be someone truly honorable and pure of heart, or a priest or something. Since he is willing to conspire with Regina and he is a bit of a letch (what man wouldn't look at Ruby for a minute?) he would be the opposite of that.

I'd say that's an excellent point!

Just because I'm looking for an adventurer who shares the personality traits we've seen so far on the show, doesn't mean his fairytale counterpart would have anything to do with Doctor Whale as we know it. He could very well end up being Robin Hood or something.

Edited by agora, May 2, 2012 @ 6:35 PM.

roseandthedoc37

roseandthedoc37

Video Archivist

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 7:17 PM

Well, great ideas everyone, but I''m sticking to my Gulliver theory for now. I did like Prince Eric, but I think we may be seeing Ariel before the end of this season. Not sure on that, but it would mean D.A.. is not him, because we won't find out who he is till next season. We now know he's definitely not Pinocchio, Hoping they do a really good job with how they spin his story. I wouldn't be surprised either, if a lost love is part of his tale since he has thing about not being satisfied to settle down with one girl.

Yeah, would it kill them to give us a clue before the end of the season?

Tricksterson

Tricksterson

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:12 AM

For no other reason than because it appeals to me and because I'm assuming a nautical connection I'm going o go with his being Ishmael from Moby Dick. Btw, I forget, was the whale attacking Geppeto and Pinnochio white?

Edited by Tricksterson, May 3, 2012 @ 5:19 PM.

aml77

aml77

Video Archivist

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:28 AM

I did like Prince Eric, but I think we may be seeing Ariel before the end of this season. Not sure on that, but it would mean D.A.. is not him, because we won't find out who he is till next season.

Kitsis and Horowitz confirmed quite a while ago that Ariel was not in the plans for season one. My impression is that David Anders' lack of availability is what pushed Whale's story into season two.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 11:34 AM

Shame, I'd say there should be a character like Doctor Whale every season. It's so fun to play guessing!

roseandthedoc37

roseandthedoc37

Video Archivist

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 4:52 PM

He could very well end up being Robin Hood or something.

Just to see D. A. in the costume, I'd love this one. Too bad he'd be perfect, but the Whale name,
can't help thinking that we can over look it.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 7:03 PM

I've got to admit, his last name & his personality are the only clues I can rely on, without them he could be anybody.

aml77

aml77

Video Archivist

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 10:00 PM

If they are going for someone out of the Robin Hood canon, either the Sheriff or Prince John would seem more likely.

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 11:58 PM

I wonder if Dr. Whale might be part of a tale we are not as familiar with.. like the New Zealand 'Whale Rider' myth or the Alaskan Inuit or Tlingit creation myths. The show could tie several fairy tales/stories/myths together.. little mermaid, Moby dick, Jonah, Pinocchio, etc..

Vanilla Siren

Vanilla Siren

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 4:03 PM

I just hope David Anders is able to do more epsiodes in Season 2. I have loved that man since his "Alias" days and I still resist the urge to call out "Sark!" when he's on screen. Forget Prince Charming, give me the lecherous Doctor any day of the week! Yum ...

lubi

lubi

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 1:36 PM

What was up with Dr. Whale last night? They seemed to focus a lot on his reaction to the curse breaking and he seemed totally lost.
The season ended and he is the only one without a Fairytale counterpart. There has to be a good reason for that.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

• Interests:http://www.biblegateway.com/

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 9:17 PM

The season ended and he is the only one without a Fairytale counterpart. There has to be a good reason for that.

Plot hole? I'm really surprised they never revealed his Fairy Tale identity. Even if they didn't have time to do his backstory properly, I would have thought they'd give us a couple more clues.

Fable

Fable

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 10:47 PM

I'm going with Peter Pan

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

• Interests:Foreign language and culture study, cooking, dancing, music, reading, and television, of course!

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 1:24 AM

I'm going with Peter Pan

The show doesn't have the rights to use Peter Pan yet, so I'd be surprised if that really does turn out to be his original identity, which the producers have said will be revealed next season.

All I can say is that, based upon Dr. Whale's immediate reaction to the breaking of the curse, his backstory must be a jaw-dropper. He seemed more uncomfortable being in that hospital room than even Regina did.

I just can't decide whether the title for his backstory episode next season should be "Whale Tale" or "Jump, Jive and Whale" (sorry!)

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 1:26 AM

I'm going with Peter Pan ...

He did act like a man-child on his scenes with Mary Margaret all season, so I would say Dr. Whale is like a Peter Pan who was forced to grow up when his happy ending was to stay a child forever.

Plus, it would open the mystery as to what happened to Tinker Bell and the lost boys (if they keep with the idea that there are no "lost girls" because they are much too clever to be lost).

*ETA: And the mystery of what happened to his shadow!

Edited by agora, May 15, 2012 @ 2:57 PM.

SiobhanJW

SiobhanJW

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 8:48 AM

David Anders posted on his twitter that:

We are all going to love his Fairytale Character next season. Promise

Should be interesting. I don't think he's Peter Pan, but I can't seem to figure out who he is.

He seemed really distressed though when he was sitting there. He must be someone interesting. Hope he is in a lot more episodes next season!

Edited by SiobhanJW, May 15, 2012 @ 8:50 AM.

roseandthedoc37

roseandthedoc37

Video Archivist

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 10:23 AM

All I can say is that, based upon Dr. Whale's immediate reaction to the breaking of the curse, his backstory must be a jaw-dropper. He seemed more uncomfortable being in that hospital room than even Regina did.

He appeared really lost, and rather sad. I noticed he almost seemed in tears earlier when he couldn't save Henry as well. The other day, i was thinking who did he look like from the Disney films, and John Smith, from Pocahontas came to mind. I don't think it fits the clues we've been given, but they certainly like changing the stories. Anyway I could see him as this guy, though.

Edited by roseandthedoc37, May 15, 2012 @ 10:25 AM.

jillypups

jillypups

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 11:34 AM

Grr, now I can't remember what his reaction was, or how he behaved right after the curse. I even rewatched it yesterday!

If he tweeted that we'll really love his character, I am then sticking with my Prince Eric idea, because they also said Ariel will be revealed in Season 2

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 2:59 PM

Grr, now I can't remember what his reaction was, or how he behaved right after the curse. I even rewatched it yesterday!

Granted, I haven't watched the season finale yet, but it's on my DVR so I'm going to pay special attention to Dr. Whale's reaction. Promise!

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 3:07 PM

We are all going to love his Fairytale Character next season. Promise

I hope so! I didn't really have an opinion on him one way or another (aside from thinking he was kind of a jerk to Mary Margaret but at least he sent her flowers after their one-night stand) but the look on his face when the curse broke...I want to know more!

Betsypaige1

Betsypaige1

Video Archivist

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 4:56 PM

I never understood why people were fascinated by Dr. Whale at all, but I agree that his scene at the end of the finale has me fascinated with his character

I'm trying to think of some fairy tale or mythological character who is confused about his identity. I say that because of the very puzzled look on his face, as if he has no idea about anything. Archie? Red? Granny? They all had those "whoa there" looks of wonder on their faces as they realized who they were. Dr. Whale? No such thing.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 6:33 PM

Personally, I think it's been a mix between the mystery that sorrounds the character - I still can't figure out who he is - and the fact he's the only male character so far without a romantic subplot.

Well, aside Geppeto and Jiminy Cricket, but at least I know who they are.

Edited by agora, May 15, 2012 @ 6:34 PM.

Aurilly

Aurilly

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 7:05 PM

It cracked me up how all the women were all over him at the end there. When Regina saw dead Henry, she immediately threw herself into Whale's chest and started bawling. And then the way Boob Fairy went to go cradle his head at the end. I don't know if those things were part of the plot or if the ladies simply couldn't keep their hands off David Anders and therefore used him as a prop to keep the blocking moving. ;)

He played it so completely ambiguous the whole episode that I don't know if we can say he he was grieving. I could just as easily say he was just in the same kind of haze Snow was in. It toed the line perfectly. The only thing I feel semi-certain of is that he's basically a good guy (well, at least as good as Jefferson or Magic Mirror were, where we're supposed to sympathize with him even if he may be a bit grey and/or manipulated into doing bad things by Regina), as opposed to the horrible person a lot of people were trying to cast him as earlier in the season.

I would like him to be Sleeping Beauty's prince. I love how great the show has been about showcasing women, but I would get a kick out of a retelling of one of the classic Disney movies from the POV of the prince. The Sleeping Beauty prince had the most personality of all those early movies, so he'd be a decent candidate.

His character and the mystery surrounding him has been built up enough that I don't think he'll be someone as tertiary as, for example, the whale from Pinocchio or a no-name baddie from the Little Mermaid. I think he either has to be a Prince or else one of the very main characters of a well-known story.

Impassive

Impassive

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 11:55 PM

I'd love for him to be Frankenstein's monster - named for James Whale, looking for companionship but never being able to connect, being a doctor himself (ie, the monster being cursed to be like his creator, Doctor Frankenstein), etc. I want that desperately.

Edited by Impassive, May 15, 2012 @ 11:55 PM.

Corydora

Corydora

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 11:55 PM

If he is Sleeping Beauty's prince, where is she? Have we seen a possible character? I am very curious who he is since they haven't given us any clues. Dr. Doolittle?

shadiou

shadiou

Just Tuned In

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 1:01 AM

I love the idea of him being Dr Doolittle!

Before I read all the theories here I just presumed he was the dwarf 'Doc' lol. Obviously I am not a subtle thinker!

Stonington

Stonington

Channel Surfer

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 8:50 AM

There is the slight possibility that he is Baelfire, hiding right there in Storybrooke under everyone's noses. Mother Superior/Blue Fairy being his comforter, it gives one "pause" to speculate.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 9:43 AM

And then the way Boob Fairy went to go cradle his head at the end.

That sounds an aweful lot like a fairy trying to comfort an "old" Peter Pan to me ...

I'd love for him to be Frankenstein's monster

I like that too!

There is the slight possibility that he is Baelfire, hiding right there in Storybrooke under everyone's noses.

It would only make sense for me.

...Darn it, I have absolutely no idea who he is!

Edited by agora, May 16, 2012 @ 11:18 AM.

SiobhanJW

SiobhanJW

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 10:16 AM

I agree with one of the posters above, he has to be a significant Fairy tale Character. He is a pretty well known actor and the way that they have been dragging it out leads me to believe its someone cool or important. It didn't even cross my mind that he could be Baelfire, I don't think he is but that would be an interesting twist. I still think that Baelfire is Henry's father.
I have a feeling he is Peter Pan, I just think they couldn't do his story-line this season because they were working on getting the rights to use PP. Or he could be a Prince as well, Eric or Sleeping Beauty's prince. I can't wait to find out!