David Anders as Attending Physician Dr. Whale

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

304 replies to this topic

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 12:08 AM

...I want to debunk the idea that August is Pinocchio.

Personally, I don't see August as Pinocchio either way.

As for Dr. Whale, I am so lost about his true identity that I'd believe he could be Merlin at this point.

Edited by agora, Apr 4, 2012 @ 12:10 AM.

Phee

Phee

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 7:26 AM

How's this for an idea. I know there's been discussion about him being linked to The Little Mermaid story somehow. If we end up getting Regina as Ursula, (which I think would be fun, so I'm hoping that's what they have planned), could Dr Whale be Flotsam and/or Jetsam?

Flotsam and Jetsam are Ursula's green moray eel minions. They frequently do Ursula's bidding and act as her spies, keeping their eye on the events unfolding in and around Atlantica. In The Little Mermaid, they are tasked with following Ariel and report her actions back to Ursula. They eventually manipulate Ariel into visiting Ursula in order to gain human legs. They are ultimately killed in the film's climax when Ursula accidentally destroys them with King Triton's trident. They were voiced by Paddi Edwards in the film.

He appears to have been in Regina's pocket thus far in Storybrooke, reporting back to her whenever something happens at the hospital that she really ought to know about and whatnot. If he were Ursula's sidekick in Fairytale, it'd make sense for him to have a similar role in Storybrooke, such as we've seen with Sidney and Graham's ties to her in both worlds. So the character's role would fit, and there's a correlation with the names, going from an eel to a whale, (both sea creatures, one lowly, the other majestic...maybe he got a promotion for his services towards her in Fairytale?).

Of course, if they don't make Regina into Ursula then the whole theory is shot to hell, but we've already seen her go to Rumple coz she's having mermaid problems, so it's a fair assumption she'll end up being Ursula.

Edited by Phee, Apr 8, 2012 @ 7:28 AM.

bigredcat7

bigredcat7

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 11:25 AM

Didn't Lana Parrilla say at Paleyfest that she told producers she really wants to play Ursula?

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 12:06 PM

Didn't Lana Parrilla say at Paleyfest that she told producers she really wants to play Ursula?

No, she didn't.

But I don't have a link to the Paleyfest interview so I might be misremembering.

Edited by agora, Apr 8, 2012 @ 12:07 PM.

Phee

Phee

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 12:44 PM

It wasn't an interview as such, it was during the actual panel. Think it was mostly a throw away comment, it's no longer on youtube as far as I know, but I found this article where someone left this comment: "I was there, and Lana Parilla asked, "Can I please turn into Ursula at some point?"

(I guess that article may be considered spoilerish in parts, but it's got a big SPOILER in the headline, so, yeah, don't read it if you're a spoilerphobe.)

Edited by Phee, Apr 8, 2012 @ 12:48 PM.

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 2:11 PM

The paley cast panel is still available at hulu.com Once Upon a Time at Paleyfest Lana asks about becoming Ursula around the 31 minute mark.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 7:34 PM

It wasn't an interview as such, it was during the actual panel. Think it was mostly a throw away comment, it's no longer on youtube as far as I know...

No wonder I completely missed it.

Back to Dr. Whale then: Why would he work for Ursula if that's the case? Wouldn't it make more sense not to have one night stand with Snow White if he was actually looking for a little mermaid? And why would he show an interest on Ruby anyway? As far as I know, Little Red Ridding Hood has nothing to do with either the Prince or the mermaid of the Disney or the original canon story.

Phee

Phee

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 2:21 AM

Hulu doesn't work for me (am geographically challenged here in Australia), so I couldn't check the vid on there. Am sadfaced coz it'd be fun to watch the whole thing again.

I just figured it'd make sense if his Fairytale counterpart was in Regina's pocket, considering that's his task in Storybrooke, (as stated in my previous message, it'd be in keeping with what we've seen from Mirror/Sidney and Huntsman/Graham). And if people's Storybrooke names somehow reflect their Fairytale persona, then Dr Whale likely had something to do with the sea. So ReginaAsUrsula's sidekick seemed to be a good fit.

As for how that fits with him having a one night stand with Mary and leering at Ruby, all I've got for that off the top of my head is that if he used to be an eel, that means he's a slimeball in both worlds. LOL

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 2:44 AM

I don't think the writers are too concerned with original canon, in fact, I think they'd really like to shake that up.. make us question if the stories we know aren't 'whitewashed'. I think they take a great deal of pleasure in connecting unrelated stories. Dr. Whale is a puzzle.

Tricksterson

Tricksterson

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 9:05 PM

I don't have a favorite theory but right now I think the three most likely candidates are that he's Monstro, Prince Eric or maybe someone associated with Moby Dick

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:41 PM

Tricksterson, I agree.. I would also add Gulliver from Gulliver's travels. He was a Doctor.

Tricksterson

Tricksterson

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 12:05 PM

There's also asailing ship in Gold's shop. Wanna bet there's some connection between it and Whale?

Here's another thought: Maybe Davy Jones?

loosy

loosy

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 6:30 PM

After reading MorninStar´s remark about Gulliver the doctor my mind imidiately jumped to a rather silly idea, but here goes, maybe Dr. Dolittle? Animal-connection in the name and a doctor, too. I can´t find it in me to believe it, though.

Edited by loosy, Apr 11, 2012 @ 6:54 PM.

Phee

Phee

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 4:35 AM

As for how that fits with him having a one night stand with Mary and leering at Ruby, all I've got for that off the top of my head is that if he used to be an eel, that means he's a slimeball in both worlds. LOL

Have come up with more logical explanations. YAY for random inspirations. His attraction to Ruby could have been because in Fairytale he dealt with a girl who was part human, part animal. His one night stand with Mary could have been per Regina's suggestion, if he's doomed to be her minion, because if Mary's involved with someone else, it keeps her mind off David.

WynterWolf

WynterWolf

Stalker

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 3:45 PM

I had missed the eps when Dr. Whale and Mary had hooked up, but a friend told me about that today so I went googling:

Scroll down to the Fox and Coyote and Whale story. I thought that sorta fit, particularly since I'd heard that TPTB had planned to use David Anders more if he'd been available.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 7:36 PM

As for how that fits with him having a one night stand with Mary and leering at Ruby...

I thought that was plain misdirection, if only because it led me to believe he was the huntsman and the Big Bad Wolf before I knew better.

Personally, try to figure out which fairytale character Dr. Whale might be has been one of the most entertaining parts of this season.

Edited by agora, Apr 18, 2012 @ 7:38 PM.

Vanilla Siren

Vanilla Siren

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 3:16 PM

I just wish we didn't have to wait until next season to find out who he is. After all the anticipation, it better be something really good...

Camera One

Camera One

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 3:53 PM

Since it seems to be due to the availability of the actor, I doubt the producers/writers intended for it to be as a big reveal, especially considering he's not really that important a character. Though it's true he's one of the few characters whose identity we don't know, since most of them (Jiminy, Gepetto, Red, Granny, Grumpy, etc.) were revealed immediately in the pilot. I wonder if they hadn't even decided yet when he was first introduced as the resident doctor.

Edited by Camera One, Apr 28, 2012 @ 3:53 PM.

Tricksterson

Tricksterson

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 8:47 PM

Here's a thought. Maybe Whale is a play on "wail". Even though they're traditionally women maybe Dr. Whale is a banshee. He's a doctor which means he'd be around sick and dying people all the time.

Hick

Hick

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 1:56 AM

If he turns out the whale from Pinocchio, I'll be thoroughly disappointed. That would be really plump, naming the whale "Dr. Whale".

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 12:06 PM

I thought that was plain misdirection, if only because it led me to believe he was the huntsman and the Big Bad Wolf before I knew better.

Personally, try to figure out which fairytale character Dr. Whale might be has been one of the most entertaining parts of this season.

I just wish we didn't have to wait until next season to find out who he is. After all the anticipation, it better be something really good...

At this point, I'm thinking (in no particular order):

- Merlin (because he was also some sort of Doctor)
- The Little Mermaid's Prince (because a Whale belongs to the ocean, much like a mermaid does)
- Peter Pan (because he acted like a classic child-man in his date with Mary Margareth)

Edited by agora, Apr 29, 2012 @ 12:15 PM.

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 12:38 PM

Gulliver was also a Doctor.

Tricksterson

Tricksterson

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 5:18 PM

A Moby Dick character is also a possibility. Have seen several sailing vessels in Mr. Gold's shop.

LimelightQueen

LimelightQueen

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 10:06 PM

I'm still going with the Fisherman from the Fisherman's Wife, but I like Prince Eric. And Hick, I agree, if he turns out to be Monstro I'll be pissed.

Vanilla Siren

Vanilla Siren

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 11:04 AM

Here's a thought. Maybe Whale is a play on "wail". Even though they're traditionally women maybe Dr. Whale is a banshee. He's a doctor which means he'd be around sick and dying people all the time.

Interesting thought. I don't know if the writers would do something that cool.

- The Little Mermaid's Prince (because a Whale belongs to the ocean, much like a mermaid does)
- Peter Pan (because he acted like a classic child-man in his date with Mary Margareth)

I wonder how many different mythologies they'll borrow from? So far the only thing that doesn't seem to be an actual fairytale is the thing with King Midas.

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 11:23 AM

I wonder how many different mythologies they'll borrow from? So far the only thing that doesn't seem to be an actual fairytale is the thing with King Midas.

If the room of portal doors that Jefferson had to go through are any indication, (taken from Once Upon A Time Wikia) some of the potential worlds to involve stories from may include (but are not limited to):

Grey Door: ?
Pink Brick Door: ?
Green Door with a Hole/Mirror: ?
Brown Door with Trees: ?
Blue Door with four Holes/Knobs (with possible scales): ?
Medieval Brown and Grey Door: ?
Oriental Style Red Door with Golden Knobs: ?
Green Curtain Door with the Oz Logo: ?
Mirror Door (known as "Looking Glass"): Wonderland
Coffin-like Door (or Corridor): ?
Normal Door with a Keyhole: ?

Until now, there has been revealed only where one of these door leads, but there are many theories related to the other doors and worlds, such as:

Land of Oz (Green Curtain Door with the Oz Logo)
Neverland (Normal Door with the Keyhole or Green Door with a Hole/Mirror)
Imperial China, where Mulan would appear (Oriental Style Red Door with Golden Knobs)
Atlantida (Blue Door with four Holes/Knobs)
Camelot (Grey Door or Medieval Brown and Grey Door)
Fairy-Tale Land (Pink Brick Door or Brown Door with Trees)
Real World (Grey Door or Normal Door with a Keyhole)
Some kind of Dark/Evil World (Coffin-like Door)
Agrabah

Tricksterson

Tricksterson

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 5:30 PM

Vanilla Siren: Also Arabian Nights (The Genie of Agrabah) and possible cameos by Nurse Ratched and the Chief from One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest. And of course Alice In Wonderland

MorninStar" What's Atlantida? Do you mean Atlantis? I'm thinking the brown door with trees is either Neverland or Middle Earth. The Coffin door I'm thinking Dracula or more generally, that world, or even more fenerally a Gothic Horror world, with vampires, werewolves, Frankenstein's monster etc.

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 5:53 PM

Tricksterson, I took that information straight from the 'Once Upon a Time wikia page' on portals. Yes, I am assuming they meant Atlantis by 'Atlantida. It is the name of a poem for Atlantis.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 5:56 PM

I wonder how many different mythologies they'll borrow from? ...

Good question, if they borrow from Scheherazade/One Thousand and One Nights, then Dr. Whale could also be Sinbad the sailor or even an actual genie.

Edited by agora, May 1, 2012 @ 5:57 PM.

Corydora

Corydora

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 5:32 AM

This has already been said but sense we have seen how the curse changes people, Dr. Whale might be someone truly honorable and pure of heart, or a priest or something. Since he is willing to conspire with Regina and he is a bit of a letch (what man wouldn't look at Ruby for a minute?) he would be the opposite of that.