David Anders as Attending Physician Dr. Whale

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

304 replies to this topic

Vanilla Siren

Vanilla Siren

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 4:39 PM

Rumple mentions in "In the Name of the Brother" that magic exists in Frankenstein's world but says something along the lines of it being weak and neglected, whereas in Rumple's land it's "hearty and thriving." I don't know if the fact that Dr. Whale is from a land with magic (even of the weak variety) will mean he is just as susceptible as the Enchanted Forest residents.

Tricksterson

Tricksterson

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 11:44 AM

Frankewhale claims to be a man of science but since he does things like ressurect the dead with lightning it's not really science as we think of it, more like alchemy.  Plus if you extrapolate that it's basically the world of Hammer Films you have things like vampires, werewolves and mummies running around.

Edited by Tricksterson, May 14, 2013 @ 11:46 AM.

Deirbhile

Deirbhile

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 2:40 PM

Frankewhale claims to be a man of science but since he does things like ressurect the dead with lightning it's not really science as we think of it, more like alchemy.

Kind of.

Alchemy is a protoscience - it laid the foundation for modern science - but it wasn't science as the word was understood from the Enlightenment on.

Rumpelstiltskin is an alchemist, transmuting straw into gold, gold into potions, and so on. He believes emotions can be turned into a force that can control nature and matter. Piffle, says past!Frankenwhale.  Resurrecting the dead with lightning/electricity is primitive science, to be sure, but at least it stems from understandable functions in the natural world, untainted by mythology, religion, and symbolism. 

I wish they'd actually had some space to explore that dichotomy, especially since Whale is now filled with medical knowledge that dwarfed (if you will) anything in his own time and place. In fact, sending him home to his world with that knowledge would be interesting, too.  

Bussy

Bussy

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 12:00 PM

Frankewhale claims to be a man of science but since he does things like ressurect the dead with lightning it's not really science as we think of it, more like alchemy.

That's the weird thing. He claims to be a man of science, but his stuff only worked with the help of magic. He needed the pink glowy hearts to do anything. So, in that magic v. science bout, magic totally won. It would have been more interesting if he had been able to do something new and awesome in Storybrooke without Rumple's help.

In fact, sending him home to his world with that knowledge would be interesting, too.  

He's such a tragic character, because if he was sent home, everyone he ever knew would be 30 years older or dead. Everyone else in Storybrooke has each other now that the curse is broken, and even the people who stayed in the old world (like Mulan) were frozen, too. He's alone in Storybrooke, and he'd be alone at home.

I think this character might be done, unfortunately. The only people he had any kind of story with were Red (whose new show got picked up), Jefferson (who is a movie star and not coming back) and Rumple (who has way too much other story going on to spend time with Whale). Plus, the whole Storybrooke angle has officially been deemphasized (it was never that emphasized to begin with), so it's not like he has room for lots of new story potential. It's a shame, because I really like him.

Vanilla Siren

Vanilla Siren

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 4:11 PM

David Anders is a wonderful talent and I hope the show makes more use of him next season, but for the reasons you outlined above it doesn't look good unfortunately. :(