3-16: "1912" 2012.03.15 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

118 replies to this topic

Love

Love

Fanatic

• Interests:Dancing and music. LOST was my fave tv show ever. Can't believe how much I miss it. There will never be another like it. My fave shows now consist of Game of Thrones, Vikings, Arrow, Once Upon A Time & CSI (original flavour). I still try to catch the Vampire Diaries and Glee for old times sake.

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 11:29 PM

So let me get this straight. On rewatch, Meredith tells Alaric that he is the killer based on the history of the ring. Is that right? Elena reads her ancestor's journal where it's revealed that Samantha is a killer in the same way. We see a close up of her ring as she kills Zachariah (who is more than likely the grandfather of the now dead "Uncle"/"Nephew" Zach that Damon killed in Season 1).

All I can say is God help Jeremy :(

olajuwon

olajuwon

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 11:30 PM

I thought it was so/so. Why weren't Damon or Stefan concerned that Rebekah was basically stalking them, asking specific questions about a time period way back when. No girl is that interested in trees, not even the vamp killing ones. Also, Meredith all you had to say was that you suspected the ring was the issue, I'm sure the vampire daughter having sheriff would understand, as well as Alaric and Elena. This ep was filler, I thought the 1912 flashbacks weren't needed, that could've been explained while Stefan read his diary...this IS The Vampire Diaries after all

AwesomeWelles

AwesomeWelles

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 11:40 PM

This was probably the first episode this season that I haven't enjoyed. Normally it manages to keep my attention but I found myself sorting out my emails.

I saw the 'twist' coming from a mile off, ever since Jeremy went all head-choppy on the front porch and Alaric's ring started to malfunction. Generally anything that gives Matt Davis more screen time is OK with me - especially when we combine that with less Elena.

I don't know whether it was his annoying constant talking at the Paley panel, or whether his tweets have finally turned me into a rampant capitalist consumer of fossil fuels, but I'm ready for Ian to go away now.

olajuwon

olajuwon

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 11:51 PM

Really? Wasn't the crazy eyes AwesomeWelles?

zombygirl

zombygirl

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 12:31 AM

So, Zacharia was their brother? He had to be right? since their dad knocked up a maid during the civil war, not long before they all died, meaning that kid would be in his early 50's, which would track with Zacharia.

vgerd

vgerd

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 1:04 AM

So, Zacharia was their brother? He had to be right? since their dad knocked up a maid during the civil war, not long before they all died, meaning that kid would be in his early 50's, which would track with Zacharia.

No, not their brother. Zachariah was their nephew, the son of their half-brother. He wasn't anywhere near early 50s. The man he spoke to in the opening scene was about that age, but he wasn't. I would have said mid-30s at most.

ElleTell00

ElleTell00

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 1:34 AM

I'll take Matt since he is to good for your Elena. Seriously Elena, I don't know what to do with you girl. You love them yada yada yada, but after what you witness tonight? I guess people lives only matter if they are friends slash family members of yours.

I hate this serial killer story line. Alaric was one of few people I actually root for on this show and I know this isn't his fault but still. They are going to ruin him so we can spend more time on Rebekah and Sage. Oh and I guess Sage and Finn had a thing, can't wait for the flashbacks on that one! Yet we don't get to see Bonnie at all this week.

good spellar

good spellar

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 3:11 AM

I read spoilers and so I was quite looking forward to this episode. They were all 'oh you'll never guess', 'best twist EVA!' etc. Well as usual with spoilers, the end result doesn't exactly live up. Alaric is the crazy murderer that most people have been saying he is for about 7 episodes now. Wow, colour me astounded.

At the moment all I can muster is disgust that Elena walked in on Stefan and Damon (for all she knew) murdering an innocent woman and all it made her do is go home, have a cup of tea (!) and muse about how she just can't help but love them both cause gosh darnit, they'll be pretty forever! I really need to leave morality at the door with this show but my problem is that I need for the show, through Elena, to recognise how appalling it is. If it did that, I'd probably be on Team Vampire a lot more than I am right now. But because it's always just brushed under the rug, I feel like the show is saying well actually it's okay, as long as you're hot. But if you ain't hot, killing is wrong! God, even Sookie the wonder-pain has more morality than Elena. It's insufferable.

Also, the Bonnie thing. Really Elena? You think giving Damon some eye-rolls will win you back Bonnie's love and trust? She treats him and Stefan like they're petulant children, not murderers. If she doesn't treat them as they are, she comes off as delusional and/or ruled by her libido. I used to hate it when Buffy was so cruel to Spike because of all he'd done but you know what? It was totally necessary. It's what made it okay for me to be on his side. This show needs to learn that, among many other things.

Edited by good spellar, Mar 16, 2012 @ 3:13 AM.

FurryFury

FurryFury

Fanatic

• Interests:TV shows (obviously) - anything by Joss Whedon, Veronica Mars, Russel T. Davies-era Doctor Who are favorites, but I watch a lot, mostly speculative fiction.
    Also a fan of anime, video games (esp. western RPGs), reading (a big fantasy geek).

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 4:18 AM

Ugh, what a boring ep. Even the absence of Klaus didn't help. I almost slept through the flashbacks.
However, agree on the Matt/Elena talk about the Salvatores: I loved it. Finally, an attempt by the writers to give her character some depth and flaws.
Still, I can't imagine her not ending up with one of the brothers. Which is too bad. By this point, it's pretty clear she should stay away from either of them (BTW, loved Meredith calling Elena out on her faulty judgement: Elena: Alaric is good! I know! - Meredith: Hey, girl, srsly, you date vampires, yet think yourself so moral?)

verdana

verdana

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 4:36 AM

Best line of the night, "Because you are all I've got." Team Salvatore all the way.

Couldn't agree more, just love any Salvatore bonding scene and I loved that moment between them, I also adore the fact that bottom line it always come back to Damon and Stefan and Elena doesn't even factor into it, she's a mere footnote in their life story.

Ian and Paul are always gold whenever they're together on screen and long may that continue.

Love this episode with the flashbacks, anything that provides me with more background on these two is always worth watching.

"Dear Diary. A chipmunk asked me my name today. I told him it was Joe. That lie will haunt me forever."
- Best part of the show. Maybe one of the best lines of the entire series.

Just brilliant and only IS could deliver that line to the degree of aplomb required to make it that good. Harks back to his first heady season for me of great one liners.

Edited by verdana, Mar 16, 2012 @ 4:48 AM.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 5:12 AM

This episode was just ehhhh for me. I was so excited after the short hiatus, but there wasn't enough there there.

I'm unspoiled, but after all the hype about Sage, she wasn't very exciting. Maybe that's because every bit of her appearance was in the previews.

As always the Stefan/Damon stuff was my favorite parts of the episode. They love each other so fiercely, yet insist on pushing each other's buttons (even when they're trying to help each other) which is what makes their relationship so realistic to me.

I'm glad that Elena has given some thought as to why she still allows Stefan and Damon to be part of her life, and her reasons make sense. Even though Jeremy, Caroline, Bonnie, Matt, and Alaric are still around, they've all died at least once. People talk about finding an eternal love that will last forever, but a vampire is far more likely to outlive her than any of the other people in her life, especially now that we know the wonky magical ring might be making the wearers crazy - what good is having Alaric around if he is secretly killing people? And what if that means Jeremy will start going batshit crazy if he dies too many more times?

Speaking of the magic Salvatore ring, is it just dying too many times with it that makes someone go all psycho serial killer? Or is it that particular ring, meaning the one that Alaric and the previous Salvatore wore? Meaning is Jeremy okay even if he dies a hundred more times with that ring on? Or will a few more deaths make him go nuts too?

I'm glad they explained where Caroline and Bonnie were, but I didn't really notice their absence. I wish that were due to all the interesting things going on, but it was mostly because I was engrossed in the Damon/Stefan drama.

Meredith's sketchy behavior? I still don't believe that she's just trying to help Alaric. If that was her only motivation, then why was her first reaction to him finding those files to say that he wasn't supposed to find them and then to shoot him? There wasn't any other way to help him? She couldn't just tell him to have a seat and explain what was going on?

For a brief moment, I was afraid that Meredith was somehow going to turn out to be Samantha Gilbert (my brain just assumed that she married one of the Fells at some point or that her mom was a Fell and she used that as her last name when she came back to town, but I couldn't figure out how she didn't look the same anymore).

Rebekah was pretty obvious about digging around for tree information. I think that Damon and Stefan overlooked it because they were so focused on their problems that she was just a nuisance. If they'd been paying more attention, I think they would have noticed her obsession with their family and the trees.

Is Rebekah still living at the house that Klaus built? And is she the only Original who stayed in town?

What was with Damon's rodent obsession tonight? Squirrels, chipmunks, sheesh! Maybe he was thinking about Stefan's non-human diet. The chipmunk line totally cracked me up. I love when Damon makes fun of Stefan's journals.

Their flashback hair looked better than it has in previous episodes, which was a plus since most of the flashback scenes weren't very interesting. The only really interesting thing was learning that Stefan ate a Lockwood.

Edited by ElectricBoogalo, Mar 16, 2012 @ 5:13 AM.

zizou

zizou

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 5:59 AM

Not bad, although I was hoping for some Damon backstory - we really don't know anything about him and how he became what he is and it was just barely hinted that Sage may be responsible for his change.

So Stefan's ripper phase in the early 1900 was Damon's fault (even tho he apparently had good intentions). Interesting. I think Damon's right tho, Stefan needs to learn moderation, going cold turkey is just stupid because it leaves him open for relapses.

Elena wasn't too grating this time, maybe Klaus is right and she needs to stay away from the Salvatore. She of course managed to get two stupid lines in - one to Damon about pushing people (her) away, the other to Meredith about knowing Alaric - because she wouldn't be Elena if she didn't.
By the way, did she basically admit that she's in love with Damon? I think that's kinda big for the show. Speaking of relationships, I hope they're not trying to resurrect Elena and Matt because it wouldn't made a bit of sense. She should try dating humans, sure, but not him.

I liked Rebekah, even tho I wonder where her and Stefan's great love has gone, it looks like she completely forgot about that, and for her it happened a month ago. Anyway, her interactions with the brothers seemed forced and I think the Salvatore will be on her case next episode.
I'm sure there's a piece of furniture in the Boarding House which was made from the white oak tree; I'm betting it's the piano we saw someone play for the first time.

So Alaric was the killer and it was because of the ring. I doubt the ring affects people after they die too much tho because I don't think the Gilbert girl (Samantha?) had died as many times as Alaric; I would think wearing it too much has the bad side effects, but again both uncle John and Elena's father wore it for a long time and they didn't go around killing people, it seems.

Kaboom

Kaboom

Stalker

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 7:00 AM

No Caroline? Boo hiss. Although I did like the Mayor and Sheriff sniping at each other. :-)

Finally, I REALLY liked Elena's reasoning for her attraction to Stefan. She really has had so much loss in her life; it would have been a comfort to find someone who'd always be there. Which also explains why she clings so hard to her relationship with him, not because she's a desperate teenage girl, but because she really can't lose this person who represents stability and permanence. Wish we'd had that bit of insight earlier, but I'm glad we got it at all.

YES. This may have been my fave scene of the night in a meh episode. And I'm assuming we'll see Finn and Mama O again since he's the one Cassidy has a past with.

Besides the Salvatore brothers always being there for each other in the long run (which, just awwwww), the only other thing that caught my attention in this ep was the Alaric/ring/serial killer SL. Someone already posted this and I agree with them: maybe after a certain amount of coming-back-from-the-dead's, the Gilbert ring demands that the wearer take a life each time the wearer comes back to life. If that's true, I like that!

redbudrose

redbudrose

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 7:26 AM

Someone already posted this and I agree with them: maybe after a certain amount of coming-back-from-the-dead's, the Gilbert ring demands that the wearer take a life each time the wearer comes back to life. If that's true, I like that!

I think this would be interesting, although it would mean it will happen to Jeremy as well. He'll have to kill at least one person.

It was such a boring episode for one being called epic and game changing. I hated that Alaric is the killer and they made it so obvious from the beginning of the episode. What is worse is that it is from the rings yet they gave him this violent past that doesn't mesh at all with who he really is. He didn't become friends with Damon because he was a vampire, he sought him out to kill him. Their bromance just caught them both by surprise. ;) I did love that Damon was at the jail in the first scene with the sheriff trying to get him out.

I couldn't stand Sage. This was the first flashback episode I didn't like. We didn't learn anything new about Damon, other than he went 50 years from talking to Stefan. Rebecca couldn't have been more obvious she wanted something from him.

banzaicherokee

banzaicherokee

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:Travelling<br />Culture<br />Movies<br />Making AMV's (SPN and TMNT)<br />Creative Writing<br />Ju-jitsu

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 7:55 AM

Apparently the witches are all into the balance of nature and such. What if, rather than time-blanking psycho killer side effect being some malfunction that Bonnie can fix, the price of using the ring to bring you back from the dead is you must kill another person to even the balance?

I don't think it'd be dependent upon the number of times a particular wearer comes back, rather the ring has say 20 ressurections in it. Once it nears the top of it's quota the wearer has to recharge it and 'balance nature' by going round killing people to compensate for their untimely survivals. Alaric has been burning through his ring far faster than Jeremy has. He's probably died more times than Johnathan too. I don't think it's a one-for-one deal I think it'd have to be more like two or three left in. Otherwise these rings would be making people do strange things every generation and I reckon that Uncle John might have had something to say about that.

bm232

bm232

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 7:55 AM

Finally, I REALLY liked Elena's reasoning for her attraction to Stefan.

I actually LOLed when I heard that because in the pilot, she told Stefan that Matt was one of those guys who's such a good friend that "you feel you owe it to yourselves" to give the relationship a chance, but "there was no passion." Heh.

TBH I didn't think that line was 100% truthful, because Elena was attracted to, and intrigued by, Stefan for quite a while before she knew he was a vampire. I thought it had a lot more to do with him being a break from her old life, as well as being the mysterious hot new guy.

OTOH I think saying what she did to Matt in this ep was completely in-character for Elena, it's just that my idea of Elena and the writers's ideas of Elena are completely different.

Edited by bm232, Mar 16, 2012 @ 8:09 AM.

tip and fall

tip and fall

Stalker

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 8:06 AM

First season - Bonnie's grandmother dies. Bonnie is shipped off screen to grieve and deal with it.
Third season - Bonnie's mother dies and is turned into a vampire against her will. Bonnie and her mother are shipped off screen to grieve and deal with it.

This fucking show.

And is she the only Original who stayed in town?

I think Klaus is still around, he just spent this episode off screen, probably sketching horses somewhere.

megsara

megsara

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 8:37 AM

Hmmm, I enjoyed it, but I could not get over that it was only the next day from last ep's events. They could have at least jumped a week ahead, especially as they glossed over Bonnie's mother choosing to be a vampire.

But, Stefan/Damon are totally my One True Pairing. I don't care who Elena ends up with, she basically has chemistry with everyone, as long as it doesn't get in the way of D/S's epic love.

Seriously though, it was the night of inappropriate chemistry. Damon and Stefan were thisclose to making out on several occasions and the Elena/Alaric hug at the end? I actually had to look away.

The ring thing is veddy veddy interesting. Does is possess the wearer? I feel like it can't just be insanity because of how specific Alaric and the Gilbert lady's actions are and who their targets are. Hmmmm.

The Meredith actress - I have to say, she does a very good job at being scarily intense. She's now freaked me out twice this week, just with a glare.

And, I'm sorry, but I laughed when Stefan ripped that gal's head off. The lighting was dark, so it took me a second to realize that's what he actually did, but really, lolz.

It would also be hilarious if some piece of furniture in the Salvatore house is made from the white oak.

Missed Caroline, of course. And Tyler? Are he and Bonnie in a competition about who can appear in the least amount of episodes?

Loved what I saw with Sage, but wanted more time.

Edited by megsara, Mar 16, 2012 @ 8:41 AM.

brenaugirl

brenaugirl

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 8:49 AM

The Meredith actress - I have to say, she does a very good job at being scarily intense. She's now freaked me out twice this week, just with a glare.

She gets practice on PLL. Melissa is the scariest pregnant lady since possessed Cordy.

JEG12

JEG12

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 8:56 AM

Call me superficial, but I can't help but note: Damon in a bowler hat - not a good look for you, son. Also - seriously, he had SO MUCH make-up on in the modern-day eps that it was distracting. I'd like to say it was just the HD talking but seriously make-up squad, dial it down on the foundation and blush, for realz.

Overall, I am glad to see that they are taking the time to do some character development on the show, but if I'm honest with myself, I was a little bored with this ep. So we found out Elena loves them both - SHOCKER, and that Stefan has been vacillating between Ripper and Good Boy for his entire existence as a vamp - also not exactly a huge surprise. Oh, and Alaric is the serial killer - something the interwebs have been assuming for weeks.

I did love the last few scenes between the brothers though - made it worth sitting through what was otherwise a pretty snooze-worthy episode, which really pains me to say it....

converse

converse

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 9:13 AM

I like this episode, but definitely felt like we were having "Elena's Parade of Men'. Not only did Elena and Matt's talk hint of revisiting a relationship, but when Elena hugged Alaric, a normal reaction to the experience he had had, the camera lingered on Alaric's hands on Elena's back. When Matt said something about 'when you fall in love, I'm not sure there is a way to get out of it' (approx.) I thought he was talking about Caroline, but felt that Elena thought he was talking about them.

I totally agree with the poster who said it felt weird that this episode was only one day after turning Bonnie's mom.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 9:18 AM

When Alaric came home from the police station and Elena hugged him, he almost started crying (watch his nose, which I know sounds weird) and I had two reactions: (1) awwwwwwwww (2) how in the hell is Warner Hungtington III from Legally Blonde making me almost tear up?!

And, I'm sorry, but I laughed when Stefan ripped that gal's head off. The lighting was dark, so it took me a second to realize that's what he actually did, but really, lolz.

Hee, that totally cracked me up too. I know this was supposed to show us exactly what Damon was talking about earlier in the season, but instead of horrifying me, it just made me laugh and laugh. The scene was beautifully lit though, with the backlighting through the tent and the lanterns in the distance.

Edited by ElectricBoogalo, Mar 16, 2012 @ 9:19 AM.

night returns

night returns

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 10:03 AM

A little bit underwheming. Maybe if we had met the character of Sage first in the present, then the character would have been more interesting in flashbacks, since the flashbacks were obviously a presage (heh) of her making a visit to modern-day Mystic Falls.

Alas, poor Matt, I think Elena needs some monster in her man....

I was disappointed Rebekah was solely interested in the tree and has at least temporarily abandoned her quest to kill Elena. I mean, the poor girl had not been to a school dance in her thousand year lifetime and, on top of that, she was all but ready to make Elena her BFF. And then Elena goes and literally stabs her in the back, ruining her magical night. She has every right to kill her.

Edited by night returns, Mar 16, 2012 @ 10:06 AM.

question fear

question fear

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 10:19 AM

The ring thing is veddy veddy interesting. Does is possess the wearer? I feel like it can't just be insanity because of how specific Alaric and the Gilbert lady's actions are and who their targets are. Hmmmm.

Here's my theory: The rings were made by Emily Bennett. Who was burned at the stake by the founding families. So maybe when the "balance" thing kicks in, Emily set it up to punish those who used her for magic and then let her die.

Luluzinha

Luluzinha

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 10:30 AM

TBH I didn't think that line was 100% truthful, because Elena was attracted to, and intrigued by, Stefan for quite a while before she knew he was a vampire. I thought it had a lot more to do with him being a break from her old life, as well as being the mysterious hot new guy.

I think that was it at first. But the reason she stayed with him after she found out about his vampirism is probably the one she told Matt. Although, he's almost died how many times now? I love her explanation about Damon though: there's no reason to make sense of it, it just is... Like the others, I really liked Matt this episode and thought he was telling her he still loved her too. I don't think he was really ever that into Caroline, he never got over Elena to begin with.

Not only did Elena and Matt's talk hint of revisiting a relationship, but when Elena hugged Alaric, a normal reaction to the experience he had had, the camera lingered on Alaric's hands on Elena's back.

Right? The two already have so much chemistry and are living together. Is the camera work trying to tell me something? That hug didn't look too fatherly to me... Or it might just be Nina's crazy chemistry with everyone.

On Matt though: he's the ex who never got over her. If Elena was my real life friend, I'd be telling her to go for him instead of the psycho-vamps, but you know, that's sanity talking. I just realized his role in her story: he needs to be there, as the nice human option who loves her. To remind her that she has a very real romantic option that doesn't have fangs.

Sage was boring, predictable and the "look Damon, seduce the pretty prudish girls 'cause life will be more fun" bit was forced, annoying and unnecessary. So, Damon had spent I don't know how many years brooding over Katherine, and suddenly turned into his psycho-fun self just 'cause a vamp he's just met told him too? Really?

Heh, Rebecah was such a non-entity for me this episode that I didn't even realize that what she was doing was looking for that stupid tree (I thought she was about to join the NSDR) maybe I blocked out her lines in my head.

In general, the episode had a strange pace and some characters got to say what the audience was thinking (i.e. Meredith telling Elena she's not the best judge of character, Matt telling her he doesn't get it, Rebecah and Damon calling Stefan judgmental, etc.) which I thought was quite smart and self aware of the writers. That was what made it good for me, despite the flaws.

Artsda

Artsda

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 10:37 AM

I can't take Elena's so called love for Bonnie seriously when her reaction to what Damon did is to roll her eyes and still banter with him. If she knows these people keep getting hurt or killed because Damon will do anything to save her, then I don't know. Tell him to stop it? Or tell one of them to turn her so she has to sacrifice for once instead of others to keep her alive.

Also were we supposed to take away from her and Matt walking up to Damon/Stefan as Damon = good and Stefan = bad? Found it interesting that she missed the entire part of Damon and Rebeckha goading Stefan and baiting him with that girl and showed up at the end when he was weak and gave in while Damon's giving her his blood to be the savior.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 10:49 AM

I noticed the camera lingering on Alaric's hands as he and Elena hugged. My first thought was, "Am I supposed to be looking at Elena's butt?" but then I thought they were focusing on the ring to remind us that they thought it was going wonky the last few times that Alaric died. The other possibility I considered was that it showed us Elena initiating the hug and Alaric hesitating, perhaps to keep proper adult guardian not related by blood distance and then he gave in to it when he realized how serious and fucked up the entire framed for murder by the new girlfriend situation was. Whatever the case, it was nice to see because he's the only family she has around now that Jeremy has been exiled to Colorado.

Despite Damon's funny bowler hat, I kind of love Olde Tyme uptight stick up his ass self righteous buttoned up priggish Damon. For some reason, he really amuses me.

Edited by ElectricBoogalo, Mar 16, 2012 @ 10:53 AM.

Cindy McLennan

Cindy McLennan

Fanatic

• Interests:Covering Sherlock, Once Upon A Time, The Vampire Diaries, and The Tomorrow People for TWoP. Past shows include Lost, Supernatural, and How I Met Your Mother.

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 11:23 AM

The recaplet is up. I hope you enjoy it.

zizou

zizou

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 11:28 AM

Also were we supposed to take away from her and Matt walking up to Damon/Stefan as Damon = good and Stefan = bad?

I don't think so, from what Elena said I think she was upset at both of them, it looked like she thought they were just enjoying a night out, vampire style.
What I found funny was that she, as usual, was outraged at what the Salvatore were doing even tho she saw both of them act far worse.

On Matt though: he's the ex who never got over her. If Elena was my real life friend, I'd be telling her to go for him instead of the psycho-vamps, but you know, that's sanity talking. I just realized his role in her story: he needs to be there, as the nice human option who loves her. To remind her that she has a very real romantic option that doesn't have fangs.

Except that she never loved him, she was with him because she felt she owed it to him (and to herself) to give the relationship a try and she ended it because there was no spark. Plus, she's in love with two other people.
I think in these 3 seasons they've made it very clear that Elena feels nothing but friendship for Matt and this is why I could never buy a relationship between those two.

And really, why can't Elena be single? Right now she's in love with 2 brothers and she can't/won't be with either of them, she obviously can't date anyone outside their circle until Klaus is around because it would be downright cruel to bring someone into that mess and Matt in my opinion isn't really an option for the aforementioned reasons.
I don't think it's mandatory to have a boyfriend, so let her be alone for a while, I think it would be good for her. And for the show.

tze

tze

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 11:32 AM

I'm sure the writers won't ever explore it, but the interesting thing I took away from this episode is about how the Salvatore brothers interacted with their human family, at least, early on. Zach died relatively early in season 1, and Damon didn't really seem to care about him. Yet Stefan and Damon both took the time to head to Mystic Falls to attend their nephew Zachariah's funeral. We're never told what happened to their half brother (I got the impression he was already dead by the time Zachariah died), but how did he die? Did he know his brothers were vampires? Did Zachariah?