Fashion Star

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

418 replies to this topic

Ginandtonic

Ginandtonic

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 11:03 PM

Is it just me or did anyone else get a Project Runway Kenley flashback when the polka dot dresses came out? Nothing original about them at all.

When the pattern maker started arguing with the designer (I have NO idea of what anybody's name is), I got a 24 Hour Catwalk vibe. The sewers on that show are always arguing with the designers, to the point you just want to scream STFU, SIT DOWN, & SEW! so I was surprised to see it going on here too. If they think their ideas are so much better, then they should be designing their own clothes, not arguing with the designers about what they want to do. They should just shut up & follow directions, or put themselves out there & prove they know better with their own line.

Edited by Ginandtonic, Apr 5, 2012 @ 2:43 AM.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 2:34 AM

I'm actually enjoying the show more now. The disappointment present is less at the broadcast show now, which is coming off as kind of a fun spectacle, and more at the fact that what's appearing at the stores seem to be WORSE versions of the good designs we see being picked. Booo!

rustler

rustler

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 11:13 AM

Is it just me or did anyone else get a Project Runway Kenley flashback when the polka dot dresses came out? Nothing original about them at all.

Totally got the Kenley vibe from the polka dots. The designs themselves reminded me of the prom issue of Seventeen magazine from the 80's when I was a teenager. Yes, I am old. :g:

If you go to the Saks web site and look at the reviews for Orly's dress of last week, everyone is taking Saks to task for totally ruining the dress by eliminating all the cute details that made it awesome to begin with.

Macy's un-fabbed Barbara's dress a bit this week, but it's not the travesty of Orly's at Saks. I'm just happy Barbara finally got a sale. She seems like such a cool lady, I want her to stick around.

Edited by rustler, Apr 5, 2012 @ 11:14 AM.

JasmineFlower

JasmineFlower

Stalker

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 3:55 PM

Why Texan guy is still here I do not know. I don't think his clothes even look good on the models. He's so high on himself; it's pretty funny to watch.

I'm not clear on why he wasn't at least in the bottom 3. Is it that he's got a cute style to look at? With the perfect hair and the bowtie? Like a Southern version of Brad from Rachel Zoe Project. I find myself laughing pretty hard at him celebrating his fabulousness only to be told a few minutes later that he's missing the mark big time. I especially like how the Saks guy keeps dismissing everything he brings out because he is dying for them to buy him and Saks seems anything but interested at this point. One of the main reasons why I don't exactly know why he's not in the bottom 3 again is that he doesn't listen to advice that is given to him. He basically dismisses what is told to him before they even leave his presence. And that might be okay but the buyers have echoed the exact things that he was told about by the mentors, so it would seem like that should be a major mark against him.

I really don't get why he wasn't in the bottom 3 over Lisa. Interesting that the judges didn't save Lisa, its clear they didn't think she was at risk for being eliminated. I feel a little bad for her but at the same time, I think the one that she sold she was determined to stick with a very dated details before I think either John or Nicole pushed her a bit in a different direction.

I haven't figured out why they sort of do the fast forward through the one segment either, especially over a group that gets a sale. But I also don't mind it. After having to watch an hour and a half Project Runway at times, I'm somewhat appreciative of not dragging things out longer than necessary.

That blows that Orly's Saks dress was changed from what made it special. Very surprising for Saks since its not like they are in the same danger of not turning a profit after adding in those key details.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 4:04 PM

Its doubly interesting that Orly's second Sacks item got cheapened up, because I think her FIRST outfit for them got made with better fabric--at least the two people who posted reviews for that seemed to say that was the case (also the photos seem to support that).

buyitnow

buyitnow

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 8:46 PM

Why would H&M use a print on their version of the long jersey dress that looks like a Home Ec mistake? Does cheap polyester knit only come in stripes instead of all-over prints? Or maybe it's "on trend" to have mismatched stripes, to go with your mismatched socks, and mismatched life. I don't get it.

Pyro smoke plumes, laser beams, aerialists, backup dancers, herky jerky cameras, relentless upbeat music; evidently the clothes are so poor they don't stand on their own. Forget the pop-ups, where are the crawls of social babble covering the screen? This show is definitely for the ADD generation.

hlmac17

hlmac17

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 8:01 PM

So I was at White House Black Market today and saw a similar strapless polka dot dress in the window. It had the top in white with black polka dots while the bottom half was 3 tiers of black with white polka dots. It was also styled with belt with a red flower just like on the runway. Here is the polka dot dress and the belt with flower that was styled with.

Edited by hlmac17, Apr 8, 2012 @ 6:40 PM.

fivestone

fivestone

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 7:18 PM

I know that I'm in the minority here, but I love the format of the show. It's not Project Runway, knows it's not, and isn't trying to be. I could see very early on in the first episode that it wasn't going to be anything like PR and adjusted my expectations accordingly.

It felt a little strange at first, but I don't mind not seeing every designer present and be critiqued. I don't need to see it. If they get glossed over, I know I'll get to see them next week and find out more about them then.

I like the music. Sometimes I get up and dance a little bit with it. I get a dose of fashion, and a dose of exercise... thanks, Fashion Star!

Love hearing from the buyers.

I definitely like hearing from Jessica Simpson and Nicole Richie. I respect them both.

I thought for sure they'd keep Oscar around for drama's sake, and was surprised that they got rid of sexist dude in the first episode. Nice to see a show avoid making 'let's ramp up the drama!'-type decisions.

I'm just not seeing much wrong with this show. It won't save the whales or the rainforests or solve the mysteries of human history or whatever, but IMO it's fun, entertaining, and some nice products come out of it, hopefully putting a few dollars in the pockets of some deserving designers.

That said, I'm rooting for Barbara, Kara, Orly, and Nzimiro.

Edited by fivestone, Apr 9, 2012 @ 7:20 PM.

buyitnow

buyitnow

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:42 PM

So, how much are the 3 stores saving by "purchasing" this tripe? Let's see, if an average price of a 30 second spot is $100,000, or something like that, then a few $50,000 buys or so of dreck per week buys them how many minutes of exposure? And traffic to their website? Or even possibly their stores?

What drama. The endless dilemma, to deliver a commercial design or cutting edge fashion design? What a Catch 22. If it's accepted by the masses it's no longer cutting edge. Time to step up your game, designers. Be avant garde with no offers or commercial and not a forward thinking designer. The "competition" is moot, a shill for the main fashion stars: everyone already on there with a brand to sell. Well played, Magical Elves. I vote everyone off the island.

Edited by buyitnow, Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:09 PM.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 1:02 AM

Saving Barbara over Orly was nuts. If the criteria was what they've done over the whole course of the show, then Orly's had much better stuff (even if Saks has messed up the mass production).

P.S. - I wonder if the editing showing Orly's rack on camera was pandering to the viewers. You know... the tiny contingent of heterosexual guys watching, mostly while their girlfriends have the show on.

Edited by WileyCoyote, Apr 11, 2012 @ 1:03 AM.

Maisonette

Maisonette

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 11:30 AM

I think the mentors "saved" Barbara because they figured Orly wasn't going to get booted, for exactly the reason stated above: she'd done too much stuff the buyers liked before. Barbara hadn't; she was more at risk.

Anacharsis

Anacharsis

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 11:45 AM

Haven't all the remaining designers made at least one sale now? I think I like everyone left (and liked the guy that left last night, too).

Even though Kara's black and white shirtdress was an improvement over most, I still don't like them. There's always someone on Project Runway trying to win with one, too, and it's baffling. They're ugly.

scarlett45

scarlett45

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 1:02 PM

I have a question- do the designers receive the x thousand dollars from the stores that buy their designs or does the show receive it? Meaning the designers give up their individual rights to their designs in order to receive the exposure the show would bring. Just wondering.

oh shizzle

oh shizzle

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 4:43 PM

Those male models were busted, as were the shirt dresses! Yowza!

Joymarie

Joymarie

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 4:49 PM

I have a question- do the designers receive the x thousand dollars from the stores that buy their designs or does the show receive it? Meaning the designers give up their individual rights to their designs in order to receive the exposure the show would bring. Just wondering.

The rules have not been described at all. That's been the main topic on the board if you scroll back a few pages.

Since they haven't bothered to tell us what's going on, I sort of only half watch this, but last night they seemed to give us two new tidbits of information that I missed if they were discussed before:

1.) In order to win, a designer has to sell to all three stores. Is there anyone who's sold to more than one store? So that one designer--Sarah I think--who's made a sale just about every week to H&M can't win because all her sales were to H&M? That makes no sense.

2.) They will eventually make a capsule collection, I guess for a finale. That's useful to know

At this point I'm just watching this for the hell of it because I like the earnestness of the designers who are working hard to do well even though it's not clear what they're working for or whether it will be worth it in the end. I hope they know more than we do. Also I find it entertaining when the celebrity "designers" squeal with delight about an item of clothing and then the buyers sneer at it derisively. Like last week when they both loved that retina-searing yellow jacket, and the buyers--of course--dismissed it as something very hard to sell. Ya think?

Edited by Joymarie, Apr 11, 2012 @ 4:50 PM.

rustler

rustler

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 5:46 PM

Is there anyone who's sold to more than one store?

Yes- the swimwear lady, Nikki has sold to both Macy's (coverup dress thingy and jumpsuit) and H&M (dresses last week and this week), as has (oh boy, I'd better look up his name before I butcher it...) Nzimiro who sold a blazer and shorts to H&M and a shirt to Macy's.

Of the people who are left: Sarah has only sold to H&M, Ross (2), Ronnie & Barbara (1 ea) have only sold to Macy's, and Orly (2), Luciana (2) and Kara (3) have only sold to Saks.

Based on that, hm, if Nikki figures out Saks, she may be the one to beat. Not sure how I feel about that as I find her personality grating!

Ginandtonic

Ginandtonic

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 11:43 PM

1.) In order to win, a designer has to sell to all three stores. Is there anyone who's sold to more than one store? So that one designer--Sarah I think--who's made a sale just about every week to H&M can't win because all her sales were to H&M? That makes no sense.

Wait, what? I must have missed this, they have to sell to all 3 stores to win? What if nobody does? Does nobody win? This doesn't even make sense, somebody could sell $150,000 to all 3 & be against somebody who sold $750,000 but only to 2 stores & the winner would be the person who sold the least? Maybe you misunderstood what they were saying?

I don't understand why it's so hard to find the rules to this show. Nobody has any real idea how people win, why are they keeping it a secret? Are they making up the rules as the show goes along & they don't want us to know?

the fresh maker

the fresh maker

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 12:49 AM

Wait, what? I must have missed this, they have to sell to all 3 stores to win? What if nobody does? Does nobody win? This doesn't even make sense, somebody could sell $150,000 to all 3 & be against somebody who sold $750,000 but only to 2 stores & the winner would be the person who sold the least? Maybe you misunderstood what they were saying?

Based on bits and pieces of conversations the buyers have had, I think it's that a designer has to appeal to all three stores. The winner's clothes will automatically be sold in all three stores, so all three buyers have to like what the winning designer does.

Edited by the fresh maker, Apr 12, 2012 @ 12:50 AM.

meatball77

meatball77

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 11:28 AM

If they've had bids from different stores but only sold to the one that wanted it more they'd still be showing that they appealed to the other stores.

Joymarie

Joymarie

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 4:38 PM

Thanks for all the feedback on my likely misunderstanding that they have to sell to all three stores. Last week, I was kind of surprised when Sarah, after selling to H&M for the half dozenth time, instead of being happy, was instead disappointed that she hadn't figured out how to appeal to Saks. So when the buyer said something about having to appeal to all the stores, I may have extrapolated too much from there. I might re-watch the show just to see if I can get any further insight.

The winner's clothes will automatically be sold in all three stores, so all three buyers have to like what the winning designer does.

Do you know that for sure? Will they create a capsule collection that they divide among the three stores or create the same collection at different price points?

I feel like I'm watching this show like I watched The Mole. Except instead of trying to piece together which contestant is sabotaging the game and the pot, I'm trying to piece together what the hell is going on.

Ginandtonic

Ginandtonic

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 11:38 PM

I think it's that a designer has to appeal to all three stores. The winner's clothes will automatically be sold in all three stores, so all three buyers have to like what the winning designer does.

How would they determine that? By bids? Making a designer get bids from each store doesn't really make sense either. Someone who designs clothing that's funky casual is probably never going to appeal to a Saks customer, & someone who designs elegant classic clothing probably isn't going to be a big seller at H&M. That would mean that to get bids the designers would have to completely ignore how they design & make clothing just to please a specific store. That doesn't seem right.

Since we still don't know how the winner is determined, all we're doing is guessing without any information. I have emailed NBC & asked them to give me the rules to this show so that I could at least understand what's going on. If they answer, I will post their reply.

Joymarie

Joymarie

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 6:26 AM

Since we still don't know how the winner is determined, all we're doing is guessing without any information.

Not really. We're trying to piece together the rules from statements on the show. If you go back, the conversation is related to a specific statement one of the buyers made, that the designers have to appeal to all three stores to win, and the statement by one of the contestants that she's worried that she's only making sales to H&M.

hoodooznoodooz

hoodooznoodooz

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 9:37 AM

Gawd. I must applaud the two posters who compared these "fashions" to those in a "Simplicity" or "McCall's" patternmaking book and a Chadwick's website/catalogue. I think of those comparisons every time I watch this show. And then I laugh & laugh & laugh. I do like Kara's designs, usually, & think her hairstyle is really gorgeous. I'd wear my hair that way if my hair were thicker.

mtlchickie

mtlchickie

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 12:15 PM

Well hopefully this will narrow things down as to what the point of the show is from the website:

The series will feature clothes designed for America to buy, and it has enlisted three of the world's top retailers to help in the decision-making process. Caprice Willard (Macy's), Terron E. Schaefer (Saks Fifth Avenue) and Nicole Christie (H&M) will serve as the judges who make on-the-spot decisions as they vie for the right to purchase and exclusively carry the work of the up-and-coming designers each week.

In the end, one designer will successfully combine fashion and business to become the next Fashion Star and will receive the prize of a lifetime - $6,000,000 in orders for capsule collections in Macy's, H&M and Saks Fifth Avenue stores.

So it seems that they're bidding on the actual design and licensing it for their store. They couldn't have made it clearer on the show?

Anacharsis

Anacharsis

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 10:17 PM

I'm still not clear on the rules. Does each designer have to make a sale to each buyer to proceed to the finale, or is it just that the buyers have to feel that a particular designer is capable of producing a line for each store before the finale, or ???

I really liked Luciana's (sp?) jackets and Kara's dresses, especially the green one.

Orly's jackets would have been alright if they had not been convertible. Hadn't the buyers warned her before tonight that they didn't want to see any more two-fers?

Ross is annoying.

bagatelle1

bagatelle1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 10:30 PM

Ross may be annoying, but at least he has talent. I think it's possible to get him to be more modern and edgy, since the aptitude is there. For the life of me, I can't figure out why Nicole Ritchie and Jessica Simpson have the right to make a decision as to who to save. Talentless airheads that got lucky and sold their names, that's all they are.

I wish they would get rid of the fake audience clapping and cheering too.

chattycathyLA

chattycathyLA

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 12:53 AM

I am in SHOCK!! They bought that absolutely horrible, filmy, layered "mother-ot-the-bride" dress and no one bought that BRILLIANT zip off Confederate jacket? WTF! I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT THAT JACKET!! I WANT THAT JACKET. It was the BEST thing down the runway tonight! I'm now convinced that this show is rigged! (Like most of the other ones, sadly!)

ETA: I am SICK of that idiot buyer from Saks. He's a moron - not tapped in to what people want to wear. No wonder Saks is getting killed by Neiman-Marcus and high end boutiques. I don't know anyone who shops there anymore ...

How is Barbara, who does only old lady styles still even on this show? Thank goodness they finally got rid of her! Club feet and all!

Edited by chattycathyLA, Apr 18, 2012 @ 12:57 AM.

Holliday

Holliday

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 12:59 AM

The buyers made a wrong decision. They should have sent Jessica's hair home.

Ginandtonic

Ginandtonic

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 1:40 AM

Luciana's jacket is already sold out at Macy's, all 3 versions. They did something to change Ronnie's bathing suit, but I can't figure out what it is. It doesn't look as sexy now.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 1:43 AM

Luciana's jacket is already sold out at Macy's, all 3 versions. They did something to change Ronnie's bathing suit, but I can't figure out what it is. It doesn't look as sexy now.

They took out all the fancy details in the middle which made it ANY different from any other one piece suit.