Fashion Star

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

418 replies to this topic

islandgal

islandgal

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 9:34 AM

They're selling it for several hundred dollars. I wonder how it'll do at that price point. Are the other stores selling their items for hundreds of dollars?

Macy's would have an easier time charging at that price point (no more than $200 in most markets I would think, but maybe more in say NYC) than say H &M. I have a few H & M's my way and I can't recall every seeing an item priced at hundreds of dollars. That is not their markets or general price point for items.

If I was a designer, I'd be happy to be brought by anyway given the industry, but given the choice. I'd prefer Macy's or Saks.

meatball77

meatball77

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 9:44 AM

I just checked the other two stores. H&M is selling the dress they bought for 19.99 and the jacket for 49.99 and Macy's is selling their items between 79-110. The zip skirt is already sold out online

http://www.macys.com...ionstar-_-n-_-n

http://www.hm.com/us...n-star#path=1.1

http://www.saksfifth...FashionStar.jsp

With those three price points it seems silly to think that all three would bid on anything. H&M wants the stuff they can mass produce cheap, Saks the high items and Macy's the mid point.

Edited by meatball77, Mar 14, 2012 @ 9:45 AM.

mtlchickie

mtlchickie

Stalker

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 9:46 AM

This is one of those "interesting concept, horrible execution" shows. Though I had to laugh when Aussie boy's snide comments about Jessica judging him on men's clothing. Her clothing brand is now racking in a BILLION dollars in sales. She still may confuse tuna w/ chicken but dude, don't sell her THAT short.

I can see Macy's and H&M because they're relatively inexpensive but Saks is a luxury brand store; I was stunned when the buyer went for the 'two for one' skirt. I don't get this show.

I think H+M is the lowest of a shopping price point, Macy's is supposed to be the "mid range" and Saks is the high end. Out of the winners, I would buy the skirt (not at 300) and the shift dress but maybe in a different fabric. I was thinking "that blue but in a leather would have been FABULOUS."

I'm meh on the advisors. I think I would have been more excited if Victoria Beckham was there instead of Nicole Ritchie (I find her clothing while nice, a bit too vintage and bohemian for me.)

I have a few H & M's my way and I can't recall every seeing an item priced at hundreds of dollars. That is not their markets or general price point for items.

Only time that they would do extensively is when it's a one off collection team up with a big designer a la Versace, Roberto Cavalli, etc. But for their house brands, they have sold some leather jackets at 200 and up (mind you I'm in Canada so the price is higher compared to the US.)

Edited by mtlchickie, Mar 14, 2012 @ 10:19 AM.

Onelasttime

Onelasttime

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 9:52 AM

It is kind of exciting to see the items designed up for sale the next day -- heck, if i was in better shape, i would buy some of them!

I like Jessica Simpson as a mentor -- don't know why, she seems really interested in helping the designers. My favorite though is the buyer from H&M. It's great that people with normal jobs can become celebrities on this show. I'll watch again.

LakeGal

LakeGal

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 10:18 AM

I liked it enough I will watch again. But sadly I knew immediately that Oscar would be saved. The mentors just seemed to think he was adorable for some odd reason. He irritated me and took time away from the other designers. I think the judges wanted to send Oscar home and were disturbed that the mentors saved him.

The minute they glossed over those designers in the middle of the show I was having The Voice visions. What is it with NBC that they cheat the viewers out of seeing all the contestants so they can waste time on sob stories. But it also meant that the 3 that got No Offer were not going to be in the bottom 3. We didn't even know them. They were going to make sure we recognized the ones at risk.

I found myself wondering what happens if everyone gets offers one week. Do they not send anyone home? As there becomes less and less designers I would expect we might have a week where that happens. Or at least only one gets No Offers and then what? Do the mentors save that person?

HelloPatti

HelloPatti

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 10:43 AM

I watched this show with my fashion plate daughter. Even she couldn't figure out the rationale between Saks buying the zipper skirt. I did love the caftan looking dress that Macy's bought (only available sizes on line are XS, drat!)

Elle MacPherson looked like her face was slowly melting. I remember her as being so beautiful. Why do celebs feel obliged to ruin their looks with crummy plastic surgery?

Nicole Ritchie does have a fashion line and my daughter says it is great. Bless Jessica Simpson's heart - this must have been before she put on actual baby weight because it's all in her face and neck.

The necktie lady reminded me of Tilda Swinson - all beige and weird hair.

I'm going to give it another try next week. It's fun watching with a person who is way more versed than I am at fashion and try and guess who's buying what.

toddthomas

toddthomas

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 11:05 AM

For a show I watched because the remote was too far away after Biggest Loser (some sort of message for me there, I'm sure...)...not bad. Manic, certainly.

It's sort of like AI in my mind...I have no real interest in the product they are selling, but the sausage making interests me to an extent.

rustler

rustler

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 11:13 AM

This was a bit of a mess, but I admit I'm intrigued. The buyers were my favorite part of the show and I'm looking forward to hearing more from them.

I actually thought the zip mini was super cute, and obviously even at Saks prices other people thought so too because it's sold out on their Web site. The blue shift dress at H&M is also sold out online. Interesting!

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 11:55 AM

I actually thought the zip mini was super cute, and obviously even at Saks prices other people thought so too because it's sold out on their Web site.

I have to admit, it photographs pretty well too. The picture of it on Saks site makes it look a lot more "expensive" then it did on the runway. Maybe its been reworked with more expensive material (the way the main H&M outfit, the blue one, has clearly been reworked with less expensive material for that market--as you can tell from that photo too).

Edited by WileyCoyote, Mar 14, 2012 @ 11:57 AM.

oh shizzle

oh shizzle

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 11:56 AM

Elle MacPherson looked like her face was slowly melting. I remember her as being so beautiful. Why do celebs feel obliged to ruin their looks with crummy plastic surgery?

Elle was on Howard Stern yesterday promoting the show. He said she looked great (I think she's about 50 now) and asked her point blank if she ever had any plastic surgery/botox. She admitted to botox, although claimed it was a long time ago and said she has never had any plastic surgery and that her face is natural. Then I saw her last night and realized she was lying her ass off.

mtlchickie

mtlchickie

Stalker

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 12:06 PM

Maybe its been reworked with more expensive material (the way the main H&M outfit, the blue one, has clearly been reworked with less expensive material for that market--as you can tell from that photo too)

Since I missed the first 30 minutes i'm a bit confused on what the bid from the buyer actually means: are they just willing to pay $xxx for the design itself and let the in house team modify it to suit their need?

PharmGal10

PharmGal10

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 12:45 PM

I love the idea behind the show, but I do not like what I've seen so far. Though I love that you can buy items after the episode airs (which is one thing that always made me sad about Project Runway, I've always wanted to buy the clothes people have designed), the pilot was poorly organized. I think one episode should focus on two designers because I didn't know who was who. I also don't get how this show works. When a buyer bids, what then? Is that money towards finishing the line so it it is available for mass production?

There was just way too much going on, and the series concept needs to be simplified.

Oscar was cute, but he kind of bugged. Sad to say Oscar is only person whose name I actually remembered. I think his back story will keep him on the show, unfortunately.

I was floored that Saks bid on the skirt/scarf zipper thing. I am not a weekly shopper there, but I shop there a few times a year, and idk, the zipper skirt was not that cute, and I certainly wouldn't pay a few hundred dollars for it. I thought it would have been a much better pick for H&M or Macy's. It seems to have sold out on the website, so I guess the Saks EVP knew what he was doing, and that's why he has his job! lol!

Edit: Also, there were people randomly thrown in the episode whose dresses I didn't even see! But the buyers still bid. That makes no sense.

Edited by PharmGal10, Mar 14, 2012 @ 1:12 PM.

Karmalicious

Karmalicious

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 12:59 PM

I liked it and thought it was fun. It had the feel of a real fashion show. I am bored with back stories and watching designers make the clothing. There are already several shows with that format so I appreciated something a little different.

Oscar is annoying and his work was sub-par. It's too bad that there's not some counter balance between the mentors and the buyers in terms of saving someone, like you can't save the buyers pick as worst design or something. The buyers really have the power because the mentors can keep saving people and the buyers can keep putting them in the bottom by not buying anything.

It is kind of exciting to see the items designed up for sale the next day

Better move quick! I was trying to buy the blue shift dress and it sold out within 4 minutes of going live at 10:00 CST.

Since I missed the first 30 minutes i'm a bit confused on what the bid from the buyer actually means: are they just willing to pay $xxx for the design itself and let the in house team modify it to suit their need?

They are paying for an order of however many items the designer can make for $xxxx amount. They seemed to have paperwork with them so I'm sure they receive some kind of specs from the designer that say, "this dress costs $10 in fabric, etc..." and then they figure out what their companies price point would be, how many they would want, and place the money offer accordingly.

Zip skirt going for $350 almost made me choke! H&M should have bid on that and it would have been $20. Much more reasonable especially for the youthful look of the skirt. Apparently, Saks' buyer knows his stuff because it's sold out as well.

meatball77

meatball77

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 1:00 PM

They never explained it but I'm assuming that's what it was. That they were buying the design to mass produce for their audience.

I thought the skirt/scarf thing was cute because you could wear the skirt alone to work with a blazer and then add the sparkly overskirt when you went out. It's that day/night thing they're always talking about.

Flapdoodle

Flapdoodle

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 1:09 PM

Meh..as for the clothes being sold out on the websites, of COURSE they are! First off, people will buy what they are told is "hot" whether or not it actually is..and secondly, the producers want to be sure there is plenty of "sold out" buzz, so I think A)not that many are available , and B) ringers probably buy a bunch to ensure people talk about it...after all, what is more enticing than trying to get an item "everyone" wants?!

Edited because redundancy is a drag..redundancy is a drag

Edited by Flapdoodle, Mar 14, 2012 @ 1:12 PM.

pomme de divan

pomme de divan

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 1:17 PM

This was a 90 minute commercial for Saks, Macy's & H&M disguised as a TV show.

islandgal

islandgal

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 1:25 PM

Amen!

I also am a little leery and hope this doesn't take off or else the networks just found a whole brand new way to try to sell me shit.
As if the in show product placement wasn't enough.

SleepyJean

SleepyJean

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 1:29 PM

This is one of those "interesting concept, horrible execution" shows.

Ditto. I bailed after 10 minutes. I have it on tivo, so I may give it another shot, but am not in a big hurry to watch it.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 1:46 PM

Sure, but I respect that they're fairly upfront with that, vs. you know... the miraculous appearance of someone driving up in a Kia we know they don't own during The Voice.

I'm all for something to boost retail business in the US.

Stinger97

Stinger97

Stalker

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 2:04 PM

Welp, the Mad Men had to figure out new ways to get us to buy products in these days of DVR. If we won't watch the commercials aired between our shows, they'll just put the commercials in our shows. Serves us right! ;)

Marla Singer

Marla Singer

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 2:27 PM

This show was just a hot mess.

The one designer that I wanted to see (Lizzie, who lives in my town) didn't even get a runway show yet I had to endure that annoying little flea in the hat.

leela46

leela46

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 2:42 PM

I kind of enjoyed it but it was awfully jumbled. I like the buyers bidding on the clothes and people actually being able to buy what they like. But I wanted more focus on the designers. Not the angsty backstory so much but who they are as designers. I would like to have seen more interaction between the mentors and the designers. Even for a 90 minute show too much seemed to be happening too quickly. And I hated skimming over some of the designers in the middle. I think there's a good idea here it just needs a better focus. Or maybe a better director.

Things didn't seem very promising that there were Eight designers that had no bids at all on there clothes. Makes me wonder about the quality of the designers chosen and what the audition process was. I liked this enough to continue watching for now.

Etta Place

Etta Place

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 3:00 PM

Regarding a comment upthread, I'm not sure what European flair Elle MacPherson is injecting into the show since she's Australian. I guess there were just no American models who wanted the job.

I liked the show well enough. I don't watch Project Runway or whatever other fashion shows might be out there because I'm not that interested in fashion as a concept. But fashion that should be ready to be put into stores and is marketable, well, that's more interesting. The format needs some tweaking, as others said, since they didn't manage to get around to everyone. Jessica Simpson usually annoys me but I liked her responses and facial expressions when dealing with the arrogant Australian designer. It was more spunk than I really expected to see from her.

The Swinton-alike should be really grateful that arrogant jerk existed, or I'm sure she'd have been the one going. I get that she wanted to go with what she felt defined her, but it was hubris to think that a collar and tie would be enough to get any sense of her across. She had the most hopeful, pleading eyes as she looked at the mentors and buyers though - it sort of broke my heart.

PharmGal10

PharmGal10

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 4:07 PM

The Swinton-alike should be really grateful that arrogant jerk existed, or I'm sure she'd have been the one going. I get that she wanted to go with what she felt defined her, but it was hubris to think that a collar and tie would be enough to get any sense of her across. She had the most hopeful, pleading eyes as she looked at the mentors and buyers though - it sort of broke my heart.

I don't get why she thought her 'accessories' were acceptable when everyone else had to come up with 3 full looks. Very weird.

BabyVegas

BabyVegas

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 4:25 PM

Of all the clothes, I really liked the dress with the flowy arm that got bought by Macy's (I don't even know the designer's name because she didn't even get a run way show!) I liked that she was wearing her own clothes and it showed the versatility of the dress. I would actually buy that if the price is reasonable.

I think the designer you're talking about is Lizzie Parker. I actually own some stuff from her store and it's really comfy and cute, so I was excited to see her.

One thing that I thought as I was watching the show was that it might be interesting if the buyers had a budget that they had to stick to so there was more of a competitive element. Also it would make it less likely as the show goes on for everyone to get a bid. To me, bidding 50K or 100K doesn't mean as much to me as bidding 50 or 100K when a buyer has 200K to bring to the table.

Also, can we get rid of that Oscar clown? He was over the top and irritating. I imagine that even Austin Scarlett was telling him to take it down a notch.

Joymarie

Joymarie

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 4:41 PM

So I guess my response to this show is pretty much the same as others -- I sort of kind of liked it, but it was such a flaming mess. I guess I'll give it a shot.

I kept hearing Michael Kors saying "It's not fashion. It's just clothes." So I guess it's okay to design really commercial stuff, but I'm not sure that is really a great career move. It seems like the outcome will be similar to America's Next Top Model where you get a Cover Girl contract for a year, but that doesn't make you a model. Selling one item to H&M certainly doesn't make one a successful designer, and I'm not convinced they can parlay this show into a successful business.

Zip skirt going for $350 almost made me choke! H&M should have bid on that and it would have been $20. Much more reasonable especially for the youthful look of the skirt. Apparently, Saks' buyer knows his stuff because it's sold out as well.

You hit on what is really confusing to me about the show. So H&M bought that blue dress. One of the reasons their stuff is so cheap is they use cheap materials. So I guess they bought cheap blue fabric and made the dress to sell at their price point. And if Saks had bought it, they could have used expensive blue fabric and sold it at their price point or made the leather version. But that one woman had caftans with very specific prints, and people complemented her for her choice of prints. But H&M may not be able to buy similar enough fabric to make the dress for $20 and Saks may not be able to find similar enough expensive fabric to make it for their customer at hundreds of dollars. So it seems to me that one way to get more bids is not to use prints. Or did they make three looks at three different price points? I wish I understood what was happening.

That one woman who made the pants with the unflattering fluffy pockets, did she actually say she used to sell her clothes in the bathroom at work? Why the bathroom?

I have to admit though, I'm kind of prejudiced against this show because I loathe Jessica Simpson. I watched her reality show where she was launching her cosmetic line, and it was clear she had absolutely nothing to do with the line other than to let them use her name, pose for pictures with the product (while whining the entire time like an entitled brat), and then cash the checks. I'm sure she has nothing whatsoever to do with her fashion line either other than to sign a contract and rake in money. That doesn't make her an expert on fashion. I seem to recall that the actual makers of her line tried to sue her at one point because she was contractually obligated to wear the clothes and she wouldn't. I laughed when she raved about Oscar's clothes and all the buyers passed. People like her are what's wrong with fashion IMO.

Edited by Joymarie, Mar 14, 2012 @ 4:45 PM.

bagatelle1

bagatelle1

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 4:53 PM

Side note: I never realized how pretty Nicole Richie is.

A little plastic surgery goes a long way.

Though I had to laugh when Aussie boy's snide comments about Jessica judging him on men's clothing. Her clothing brand is now racking in a BILLION dollars in sales. She still may confuse tuna w/ chicken but dude, don't sell her THAT short.

But that's the problem - Jessica Simpson is not designing anything. She sells her name, the way Trump sells the use of his name.

So why are the mentors even there? I'm willing to bet Jessica and Nicole can't even sketch, drape, cut out a pattern or thread a sewing machine.

rustler

rustler

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 5:02 PM

Meh..as for the clothes being sold out on the websites, of COURSE they are! First off, people will buy what they are told is "hot" whether or not it actually is..and secondly, the producers want to be sure there is plenty of "sold out" buzz, so I think A)not that many are available , and B) ringers probably buy a bunch to ensure people talk about it...after all, what is more enticing than trying to get an item "everyone" wants?!

I dunno. Maybe I'm just less cynical than you are, but as of when I'd checked earlier today, only those two items were sold out, the other designs were still available. Do you think they're only setting up ringers to buy out a chosen few pieces?

I do hope we get to see more of the process in future episodes in terms of creation, budgeting and yeah, what the $$ amounts the stores are bidding actually represent - is that an order? A design fee? What?

Shprintze

Shprintze

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 5:09 PM

In terms of why Nicole Richie is looking pretty, I'd say it's amazing what a few sandwiches can do.

So confused during this show and the millions of commercial breaks. One question I have, and it's very possible I missed this during a flshing lights, 80s music induced seizure, but when the contestant gets a bid, does he/she get the money right then? Did thet explain that or did I miss that extremely obvious point in this incredibly straight forward show in which I felt like someone threw me in the middle of a dog fight?

I think they sell Elle's undies at Kohl's (not that there's anything wrong with Kohl's). It's just that Coco Chanel is currently breaking out of tomb to shut that bitch up for using her name in the same sentence with anyone on that set.

Aussie dude looked like a short Alex O'Laughlin. So there were 2 celeb impersonators. 3 if you count Jessica Simpson. 4 is you count Texan wanna be Austin Scarlett.

micat

micat

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 5:31 PM

I'm a sucker for fashion-related reality shows, so I will be watching. I thought it was hilarious when the Australian guy went backstage after sticking his foot in his mouth so badly about women being unable to judge men's clothing, and the Texan guy told him that Jessica was southern and that was why she was offended at being spoken to in that way. Yes, because northern women would just nod and smile? lol

I knew they would save Oscar, and I can't say that I wish the Australian was still there, so whatever. I am happy they saved the SWINTON look-a-like. Even though she made a big mistake with what she sent out this week, I am intrigued about what she will do in future episodes.

Overall it was loud and obnoxious but very entertaining. YMMV