The United Bates of America: Countrified Duggars

• Please log in to reply

526 replies to this topic

EmeraldRose

EmeraldRose

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 9:19 PM

All I can think of when I see these families is the HUGE carbon footprint they are imposing for ME to contend with.

Lopethina

Lopethina

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 10:49 PM

Actually, I think Erin's hair looks MORE fundified now, with those tight ringlets. She used to have the big, soft curls that were popular in the '90s, but now they're ugly little corkscrew curls. /shallow

Pauline Fowler

Pauline Fowler

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 2:27 AM

Sponge rollers overnight, according to Kelly. I see Carlin has also taken to the curlers on occasion and to be honest, her hair is so shiny and sleek, it looks much better straight.

NoPity1066

NoPity1066

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 2:46 PM

All I can think of when I see these families is the HUGE carbon footprint they are imposing for ME to contend with.

But EmeraldRose - they're the only ones that will be left after The Last Judgement, so they will have the whole earth and its resources to use for themselves !

Seriously, how anti-green can a family be ? The water and fuel they consume, the huge, emissions-belching vehicles, Good Lord, even all of the oxygen they suck up while never planting a tree, just cutting them down, apparently. I'm a champion when it comes to recycling, but had to made concessions when it came to cars as EVERYONE in my family is really, really tall, so we had to go bigger, but I'd like to think I've offset than with other green practices. But I see no such efforts from the Bates family. Okay, maybe ONE thing - they do use real dishes, even if they are plastic, so they're not tossing a metric ton of throw-away material out every month, but the thousands of industrial-sized cans of cream of mushroom soup and green beans ?

If they were recycling them, we'd most certainly see that as a preemptive FUInternets move.

Do they just throw everything in a landfill, or are they burning their garbage ? I know they're in rural Tennessee, but rural doesn't always equal burning, so does anyone know ? I'm in a pretty tight-assed suburb of a medium-sized city, and we have to get a permit to have a decorative outdoor fireplace here !

I am 100% for TOTAL reproductive freedom to have as many (or as few !) kids as you want, but it chaps my ass that Gill has to go to the Bank of Lawson to get through the day with his brood. I thought a principle of their sect was being self-sustaining ? Funny that they had to pop out a kid to do that. If Mr. NoPity and I had to depend on our children to feed and clothe the family I would be hanging my head in perpetual shame.

Analytica49

Analytica49

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 4:15 PM

Didn't Zach give us a little lecture at one point in the show, about how HIS family spends time together, but other families don't? It annoyed me, so I haven't remembered it completely.

What I do remember is all shallow:

Gil has put on weight since we last saw him;
Kelly Jo has one giant-sized lower lip; it hangs so low I wonder if it's going to fall off;
Kelly Jo stares at her hubby with the same look of blank adoration that J'chelle gives the Boob;
Zach looks fat and unhealthy.

divingin

divingin

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 6:10 PM

I often read on this site and on other forums that Lawson pays for the family's groceries and/or financially support the family somehow. I've seen a couple of Duggar/Bates specials, but I've never heard that mentioned. Where did this rumor (or fact) originate? I feel dumb asking this question, because everyone seems to know, but I can't find the answer anywhere - I've watched off and on for a long time but I haven't been frequenting the forums for terribly long.

Yet another stupid question about the Bates: is the rumor that the horses aren't fed well based solely on how the horses appeared when the Duggars were riding them on the "38 Kids and Counting" episode, or is there any other evidence?

I never cared for the Bates at ALL in any of the 19 Kids and Counting shows featuring the Bates, but I actually found myself enjoying them somewhat on this special. JB and Michelle annoyed me to death from the very start, mostly because they were both just so plain stupid. The Bates just seem more intelligent, Kelly is overly cheerful but lacks Michelle's annoying baby voice, Gil doesn't seem as self-absorbed as JB or Smuggar (and I also don't have to put up with JB making "jokes" that only he finds funny), and the family seems to have more character and life than the vapid Duggars. The Duggars are simply so empty and lifeless compared to the Bates. Sure, both sets of parents are guilty of denying their children the normal life experiences they themselves had (school, friends outside the family, independence, individuality, etc) and they both have all hypocrisy I see in these fundie families, but the Bates seem to have more dimension and are more relatable. I also appreciate that the Bates son actually WORKS, unlike Josh (who is by far my least favorite Duggar because of his nonexistent work ethic, carelessness with money, and whole superiority complex thanks to the way he was spoiled/parented) and that the gender roles are more flexible with the Bates (Alyssa going hunting with her dad, for example). The Bates children also seem to be getting a better education, both with traditional schoolwork (probably because they don't travel or tape as much - kind of hard to do schoolwork on the bus following Santorum around) and for some reason, I get the sense that they can better articulate their Christian beliefs. The Bates struck me as making a more concrete effort to live out their Christian faith through personal time reading the Bible in the morning and through their music singing at nursing homes - and they simply seem more genuine, giving, caring, and kind. Whether I'm noticing these differences because of producer intervention or not, I'd rather watch the Bates, at least for now.

Anyway, if anyone can answer the question about Lawson and the groceries for me, I would definitely appreciate it - thanks!

Pauline Fowler

Pauline Fowler

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 6:26 PM

Lawson's weekly grocery shopping (and paying the bill), as well as loans to Zach (for a truck, IIRC) and to Erin for her "college" tuition were covered on a Nightline special that aired not long after Zach officially began courting the Reith girl (they showed the footage in full there before TLC aired it).

Regarding the horses, there were many more shots of them in the "38 Kids..." episode that preceded the special. The first time it aired. The horses were not well-fed and complaints flooded TLC to the point that they edited out as much of the horse footage (there was more with the kids riding them and showing them in their sub-standard "pasture." I guess Lawson got to keep the palomino, but the coat on that horse doesn't look so hot (neither did the amount of food he gave the horse hitched up to the porch).

Kelly tried to claim that they were "rescue" horses, but the thing is, they had those horses on prior episodes and they didn't look any better (or worse) before. She made all kinds of excuses and it was discovered that the horses were removed for a period of time (I guess to make living conditions acceptable for the animals). I don't know how many were returned, since we only saw the palomino (saddled and coming at the camera so it was hard to see how healthy it really was) and the brown one being fed (an obvious FU Internets! moment).

I hope the TLC money will allow them to properly feed/house the horses that they had NO business owning before if they had to rely on their kid to buy their groceries, as well as pay for Jeb's weeklong stay in the NICU (strangely not shown during the special....more sugarcoating BS) and Kelly's gall bladder surgery this past week. Gil was proud to announce on that Nightline special that they used the ER for their healthcare needs. Maybe now with a special and 8 episodes @ around $25k/each, they can pay off any other DEBT they have (they call them "payment plans." So full of shit). I'm also pretty sure TLC paid for a lot of the renovations, since the Bateses got a lot of airtime as the remodel was going up, and afterwards; I imagine that was quid pro quo, so this is their first real paycheck from TLC.

Ever After

Ever After

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 6:52 PM

I am 100% for TOTAL reproductive freedom to have as many (or as few !) kids as you want, but it chaps my ass that Gill has to go to the Bank of Lawson to get through the day with his brood. I thought a principle of their sect was being self-sustaining ? Funny that they had to pop out a kid to do that. If Mr. NoPity and I had to depend on our children to feed and clothe the family I would be hanging my head in perpetual shame.

I have a feeling they consider being supported by their own flesh and blood to qualify as "self-supporting". Or at least close enough to fudge it a bit.

Absolom

Absolom

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 7:42 PM

Regarding what the Bates family will receive, $25K per episode is more in line with season three for TLC than season one. Although we really have no idea what rate they have negotiated with TLC.

StrawburryTarte

StrawburryTarte

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 8:04 PM

No idea about the Bates horses, but my grandparent-in-laws have horses, and I swear there is one who has an eating disorder.

All winter the horses eat regular oats, hay, carrots and apples, but the second new grass comes in in spring (like now), that one horse refuses the regular food and only wants to graze on the not so nutritious new grass, and he gets bone thin until the "good grass" comes in.

Their vet thinks it is a personality/stubbornness issue, not anything to do with illness or neglect.
Maybe the Bates horse is kooky like that, too.

Pauline Fowler

Pauline Fowler

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 8:27 PM

Regarding what the Bates family will receive, $25K per episode is more in line with season three for TLC than season one. Although we really have no idea what rate they have negotiated with TLC.

No we don't, but it is along the lines of what the Duggars were reportedly making in their earlier "seasons." Of course, they already had 4 specials (3 of which I actually watched last night...I forwent On the Road...), but then again the Duggars' show was in development at least a year before it hit the air in fall '08 (IIRC, too lazy to look up their debut episode airdate).

Of course they're not making Jon/Kate money or even anywhere what the Duggars are likely getting these days, but a special that was pieced together over many tapings, and an 8 episode run implies that TLC has some faith that these people will catch on. Not to mention, it's easier to pay one family rather than multiple families (as would have been the case in All-American Muslim). The Bates show would certainly be cheaper to produce since it's all in one locale, for the most part (the Zach footage was taken from ABC, so TLC just had to pay for the rights to use it). My reasoning is based on prior performance - people seem to like them on the fan sites, so high Q rating - and the fact that they probably used Boob's agent to negotiate. It's not like they were coming in cold like a lot of these reality families.

I won't quibble, but I think given the climate of the country today swinging to the far right that the Bateses are a good bet to catch on, as long as they don't expose themselves to be the Gothardites anyone who looks at their blog would know them to be. There are plenty of people out there in denial with their fingers in their ears who won't hear a "negative" word against them or the Duggars; I would be considered a "hata" on the fan sites because I know they are not as they portray themselves.

I noticed this in the early Duggar specials as well. Sure they had their bibles out, but it was only when you saw the trailer at the end of 14 Kids... that said "ATI Bound!" on it that they weren't your garden variety happy homemaker, homeschooling Christians. I am interested to see how long it takes for the public who don't know anything about them to connect them to the Duggars (if they somehow missed that wretched intro...besties, my ass, more like frenimies) and their extremist beliefs. Both Erin and Gil have stuff for sale on Gothard's website. To me, they're even more "out there" than the Duggars.

And they'll cash in on this because it's likely the only chance they'll get to really be able to support that family as they deserve.

Edited by Pauline Fowler, Mar 18, 2012 @ 12:14 AM.

SparkleGirl

SparkleGirl

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 10:55 PM

I tried to watch this but after about 20 minutes in, I swear I could literally feel my brain cells dying, one by one.

And I have a high-tolerance for crappy reality TV.

makesnosense

makesnosense

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 10:16 AM

Apparently we all do. Less than a week and the posts have already slowed to a snail's pace. If that's a gauge of interest in the new show, TLC has a made a serious miscalculation about the family's appeal.

HiHorse

HiHorse

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 2:50 PM

I finally managed to figure out what Kelly Bates looks like in her talking heads: a goldfish gasping for air! Seriously, if you can stand to watch it tomorrow check out her mouth as she talks!

NoPity1066

NoPity1066

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 3:06 PM

And I have a high-tolerance for crappy reality TV.

Apparently we all do. Less than a week and the posts have already slowed to a snail's pace.

I know, makesnosense, and I'm so bummed ! Yeah, these people suck as much as the Duggars, and almost as much as Voldemort + 8, but it's so fun to snark on them !

One thing I noticed today was that Gil's head looks like one of those incredibly expensive square Japanese watermelons that are grown in scientific/agricultural labs:

http://www.google.co...e...z5CA&zoom=1

essinad

essinad

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 3:27 PM

Gil has gained a lot of weight recently -- and most of it on his head.

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 6:31 PM

I finally managed to figure out what Kelly Bates looks like in her talking heads: a goldfish gasping for air! Seriously, if you can stand to watch it tomorrow check out her mouth as she talks!

I thought her mouth looked like a prolapsed rectum. Sorry to be disgusting.

Zach Bates is still living with his family and is already packing on the pounds. Is that from touring with the Reiths? Or do fundie boys just lose their metabolisms at 20?

LaffyTaffy

LaffyTaffy

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 7:37 PM

Or do fundie boys just lose their metabolisms at 20?

It does seem to be a recurring theme, doesn't it?

xls

xls

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 7:56 PM

I thought her mouth looked like a prolapsed rectum. Sorry to be disgusting.

Or a vagina that's givin birth to 18 kids.

KittyMarthaPoo

KittyMarthaPoo

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 10:10 PM

I have just lived through only 7 minutes of this show & their singing, yodeling & fiddlin' made me want to strike myself in the head repeatedly with a hammer. The females sound like the Chipmunks. If you are looking to inflict pain on yourself, by all means, turn this show on immediately.

NoPity1066

NoPity1066

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 10:38 PM

The females sound like the Chipmunks.

Yes, KittyMarthaPoo, harmonizing Chipmunks, but Chipmunks nonetheless. Just add helium.

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but tonight's episode was kind of...nice. Sure, I'm still very wary of their Gothard agenda, and I'm still fearful of the impact that these ginourmous families will have, but, damn ! Gil was charming !

It was just so un-Duggary. I didn't hear 100 pat Gothard phrases to qualify every action or event. I didn't see or hear sugar-coating when it came to the trials of having a big family - Kelly said at least twice that crazy things are just crazy sometimes. I'd LOOOOVE to hear Michelle ever say that without tagging it with a baby-voiced "But the Lord watches us, provides, blah blah blah."

Gil was funny in the delivery room, too. The whole thing about HIM getting an epidural was touching and real, and I love that Kelly admitted to the meds with no conceit or excuses. Good for her. I want an epidural when I get my teeth cleaned ! Maybe it's too little, too late, but Kelly just gave a shout-out to those of us that consciously decided to go the drug route and are tired of feeling guilty about it !

Also really liked Gil and Kelly giving the crew a tour of the cabin and pointing out all the nice elements and design touches. Contrast that with the Duggar Clan giving their highhanded critique of one place after another, and then letting the Howlers TRASH the place.

No, I didn't drink the Kool-Aid here - I'm still gonna snark - but it was just so refreshing to see Kelly packing for herself (!), both parents actually interacting with their children (!), and a well-oiled machine getting ready and leaving, drama-free, ON TIME, to go on a trip !

Maybe my standards are so low from the Duggars that in contrast these people seem nice to me ? Or maybe I was just so shocked to see that Zach has a real job that he got himself, and he works for someone else, the GOVERNMENT, no less !

Gingi1976

Gingi1976

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 8:00 AM

I actually liked this family a LOT more than the Duggars. They seemed natural?

Although I could not get over the fact tht akelly has a male OBGYN. Personally, I've had both male and female OBGYN's new I prefer male. But considering Kelly's background and religious beliefs you can color me surprised. J'chelle freaks out over (gasp!) someone seeing her knees. Could you imagine her letting a male doctor extract a child from her? Or examine her?

KittyMarthaPoo

KittyMarthaPoo

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 8:46 AM

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but tonight's episode was kind of...nice. Sure, I'm still very wary of their Gothard agenda, and I'm still fearful of the impact that these ginourmous families will have, but, damn ! Gil was charming !

It was just so un-Duggary.

Bad yodeling aside, I totally agree with you on this. They just seemed sweeter.

Absolom

Absolom

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 8:07 PM

That was bad for me. They are too redneck, hillbilly twangy for me to watch for very long. I also didn't like the ignoring that Jeb was in the NICU for a week with issues and acting like Gil's concerns just magically went away. The kids do seem more attended to by the actual parents who seem to know them as individuals and Kelly appears to be right in there working and not off doing her own thing.

PiccolaCugina

PiccolaCugina

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 5:31 PM

I have to agree with those that said they enjoyed the show. Maybe the Duggars' have set the bar so low for over-sized family shows that the Bates seem to be the lesser evil. They seemed almost normal at points in the program. i.e. When Gil and Michaela were play fighting over who would call Trace first for his birthday. I thought that was nice-this family not only seems to like each other but Gil let his child win! JB would never do that! The children seem much more "normal" for fundies and gender roles seem to be not as important to them since Gil took Alyssa hunting for her birthday (and they threw an age appropriate party which was refreshing).

I hope as the series progresses they keep their personalities and don't become Duggar clones or let TLC talk them into doing a bunch of ridiculous field trips. Their TH seem much less staged, more real whether that is because it was their first special or just because they are more down to earth that other reality families. There were points that annoyed me like when they ignored that Jeb was in the hospital for a while after birth, etc. Thinking about it though, they could have asked TLC to not show that as it was a private family matter (I hope that is the reason it wasn't mentioned-because they respect their children's privacy but I doubt it as they have a TV show). Hope that TLC keeps the Bates from becoming too like the Duggar family!

lola212005

lola212005

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 8:21 PM

Also really liked Gil and Kelly giving the crew a tour of the cabin and pointing out all the nice elements and design touches.

Do they still have the Racist room? They did have a room with a picture of Nathan Bedford Forrest (founder of the KKK). While the Bateses seem 'nice', they are very inbred looking to me. With the exception of Erin Bates.

Nigel Tuffnel

Nigel Tuffnel

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 10:42 PM

Coming out of lurking, enjoy reading the posts here & elsewhere on TWOP.

Please bear with me, but at the risk of being off-topic, I'm just objectively pointing out that Nathan Bedford Forrest was NOT a founder of the KKK, although he was involved in its early incarnation. The Bateses live in Tennessee, and Forrest spent most of his life there, pre- and post-Civil War. He has historical notoriety in TN, both good and bad. And, I'm wondering at the SOTDRT, if Forrest's racist activities were maybe...um...overlooked.

Back to the show...I agree with everyone else who finds the Bateses to be less obnoxious than the Duggars, and I have to keep reminding myself that they drink the same kool aid. The kids are much more articulate, and Kelly & Gil seem to actually know their kids. Hope they can avoid what usually happens to TLC families, but we'll have to wait and see.

anotherlibran

anotherlibran

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 11:14 AM

Can anyone remember when their shows start? Thanks.

Absolom

Absolom

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 11:23 AM

June was what was announced. Perhaps around the middle although TLC is not always reliable.

navywife1994

navywife1994

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 11:33 AM

I think it's supposed to be in June or July. They were saying the episodes would air this summer.