20-11: "Ben Gives Out His Final Rose" 2012.03.12

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

114 replies to this topic

tv after work

tv after work

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 4:39 PM

OMG! What a waste of my time these past several weeks. I'd never watched The Bachelor before, but somehow got hooked on this one because I really liked the blonde gal, Emily. SHE would have been a real catch, but in hindsight I'm glad she didn't stick around because she is way too good for Ben the dud. By the time she was gone, I was rooting for Lindzi.

Anyway, am loving all the comments you guys have made.

Just want to say in Lindzi's defense about dropping the silverware - I have those same exact dishes and they are totally impossible to lay your fork and knife down on if you don't position them exactly right. The plates have a bizarre uneven shape and the bevelled upturned edge makes them really unweildy.

I remember thinking, "Oh, crap, she's going to drop her knife and fork when she tries to put them on the plate." Felt so sorry for her when she did.

Am glad Ben who must deeply-think-with-his-other-tiny brain did not choose her. She's much better off. And, gag! Don't get me started on Courtney. What a phony bitch.

nutburger

nutburger

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 4:59 PM

What was with Courtney's strange giggle outbursts while Ben was trying to be serious and romantic during his proposal? It did not come across as overwhelming emotion, just, "I did it! I won!" She is so weird! I agree with whoever up thread said that Ben was smitten from the first night. I think he made up his mind around skinny dipping and was going through the motions the rest of the time. And, I guess he has too, its the game, but all the more reason he could have been compassionate to the girls he was cutting to get to Courtney. They deserve each other.

Booster Seat

Booster Seat

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 5:09 PM

I bought it and thought the love between them seemed genuine.

I also thought the love between them was genuine.

Courtney was genuinely in love with the idea of winning.

Ben was genuinely in love with the idea of banging a model.

Edited by Booster Seat, Mar 13, 2012 @ 5:16 PM.

SaberTail

SaberTail

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 5:17 PM

Just want to say in Lindzi's defense about dropping the silverware - I have those same exact dishes and they are totally impossible to lay your fork and knife down on if you don't position them exactly right. The plates have a bizarre uneven shape and the beveled upturned edge makes them really unwieldy.

Thanks for that, tv. I didn't even notice the plates.

Courtney was in love with the idea of winning. Ben was in love with the idea of banging a model.

LOL! That sums up the entire season. Except add that both were/are in love with themselves most of all.

chesslover

chesslover

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 6:48 PM

The movie Melancholia is less depressing than this season imo.

commenter

commenter

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 6:48 PM

Almost every episode there's something that makes me think this must be a joke season for the producers -- picking a plain guy, having such an over-the-top villain, having a dangerous stunt as a tired metaphor for love/relationships on every other date etc. (I wouldn't be surprised if this was also a low-budget season compared to others.)

One of the things that seemed like a joke last night was Lindzi's unfortunate final outfit. Very ruffled midnight blue skirt, black tank top, green cape.

Her face looked better than usual, so pulling that multicolored hair off her face was a good idea. (I didn't see Kimmel, but I was thinking she'd look much better in her natural dark hair color, so I'm not surprised people said she did.)

I thought Courtney's outfit at the final rose ceremony looked very elegant, both with and without the cape.

Like others above, I figured her bursts of laughter might have meant, "I won!!"

so, did Courtney get new collagen lip injections just in time to meet Ben's family? she's always had that weird upper lip thing, but it looked extra puffy.

I wondered about that too. I thought that it used to be mostly the middle part of her upper lip that stuck out, but yesterday the length of the upper lip was puffier.

Maybe we should fault the producers or edit people, whoever left all that brilliant conversation and humor on the cutting room floor (as someone alluded to before). I did think Ben was somewhat likeable in the cuts they showed of him acting like a doofus. But why would they cut anything that showed personality? The repetitive statements on this show are so boring and make the sayers look so flat and uninteresting. It's hard to see how anyone would pick any of them.

I do think Ben has been edited to look less interesting or likeable; that's now the second rejectee who's told him to call her if things fall through with his final pick. As to the repetitive statements: totally tiresome cliches. Incredibly boring. And I agree, the speakers all come off looking thoroughly unappealing -- more so than they do already, that is. IMO.

Jayden Kent

Jayden Kent

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 7:32 PM

At the beginning of the episode when Courtney was talking to Mama Ben, Mama Ben asked her something to the effect of, "Why do you want to be with/marry my son?" I chuckled, imagining it meant "Why on EARTH would you want to be with HIM??!? Do you realize what kind of guy he is?"

SaberTail

SaberTail

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 7:39 PM

Jayden, you just reminded me that Courtney's head twitching and eye rolling was really obvious while she was being interviewed by Ben's sis. She couldn't make eye contact for more than a split second, she was looking everywhere but at sis. And she was doing the head twitch thing we saw in all of her THs. Too bad sis, the self-proclaimed excellent-judge-of-women, didn't pick up on the tells.

that's now the second rejectee who's told him to call her if things fall through with his final pick.

In Lindzi's defense, she did say in her interviews that she said that as a joke, things were so awkward at that point in time that she put her foot in her mouth and said the stupidest thing she could think of. According to every post interview she's done, she's thrilled to have escaped the Ben Bullet.

Edited by SaberTail, Mar 13, 2012 @ 7:43 PM.

tinsel1939

tinsel1939

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 8:55 PM

I thought the most hilarious part is the way Courtney peeled off that black stripper glove with one practiced motion that is, until she whined that she didn't get flowers on Valentine's and added "not even carnations!" They deserve each other but I doubt we'll have time to set the stopwatch before they've broken up.

That said, Jake remains the worst Bachelor - that simmering rage is more alarming than vapid woman-sweatered Ben.

KittyPierre

KittyPierre

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 9:49 PM

Bend over and take it up the tailpipe, Ben!

The worst thing about this entire season was Courtney saying "Good things happen to good people." Oh, really, Courtney? So, let's see . . . are girls who get lots of marriage proposals (or invitations to the prom) morally superior to girls who don't? And, so -- extrapolating -- are the 20 million people dying of AIDS in Africa bad people, then?? How bout all the children who died in the Holocaust?? Fuck you, you dimwit!

JudyObscure

JudyObscure

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 9:18 AM

One of the things that seemed like a joke last night was Lindzi's unfortunate final outfit. Very ruffled midnight blue skirt, black tank top, green cape.

Her face looked better than usual, so pulling that multicolored hair off her face was a good idea. (I didn't see Kimmel, but I was thinking she'd look much better in her natural dark hair color, so I'm not surprised people said she did.)

The contrast between Courtney's stunning elegance and Lindzi's Halloween get-up was just sad. Courtney's a shallow idiot (I second what Kitty Pierre just said,) but this was a tragic example of why some of us are models and some of us aren't. Courtney owned her dramatic ensemble and Lindai's outfit owned her.

Lindzi needed a fashion advisor through out. On her last chance date, she, with possibly the best legs on the show, wore jeans and a big ugly shapless mud colored top. Her eyes are too close together so she makes it worse by drawing her black eye liner practically into the bridge of her nose and yellow and black striped hair only looks good on bumble bees. She needed Ashley to show her how little and bubbly can win if it's worked right.

SaberTail

SaberTail

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 10:07 AM

She needed Ashley to show her how little and bubbly can win if it's worked right.

IMO Lindzi WAS the winner this season.

JudyObscure

JudyObscure

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 11:46 AM

Well that's true Sabertail, but it would have been even better if Ben had proposed to Lindzi and she had turned him down. I had my dreams.

JenE4

JenE4

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 11:47 AM

Jayden, you just reminded me that Courtney's head twitching and eye rolling was really obvious while she was being interviewed by Ben's sis. She couldn't make eye contact for more than a split second, she was looking everywhere but at sis. And she was doing the head twitch thing we saw in all of her THs. Too bad sis, the self-proclaimed excellent-judge-of-women, didn't pick up on the tells.

I noticed that when they were standing outside talking, the sister kept flipping and twirling and patting her own hair. At first I thought maybe it was windy and so she was trying to keep it from blowing in her face, but I looked closely and saw their hair was not blowing. So, either Ben likes it because it's a familiar family trait, or perhaps Sis was so enamoured with Courtney, too, that she was mimicking her body language.

SaberTail

SaberTail

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 12:22 PM

it would have been even better if Ben had proposed to Lindzi and she had turned him down. I had my dreams.

I like my dream better: Ben kicks Lindzi to the curb, then proposes to Courtney. While he's still down on one knee, she whoops, "WooHoo! I played you like a sucker and now I've got the Neil Lane diamond ring! Take THAT you bitches! WINNER!" Then she turns and jumps into the waiting helicopter, flashing the diamond in the sunlight and blinding the cameraman as she flies away, middle finger raised to America. Or at least all of America who watches this dreck.

Too much?

violetr

violetr

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 12:41 PM

Lindzi needed a fashion advisor through out. On her last chance date, she, with possibly the best legs on the show, wore jeans and a big ugly shapless mud colored top.

Ha, to each his or her own. I loved that top (I have one that's very similar).

Also, I thought Ben's sister was pretty.

Libby202

Libby202

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 1:24 PM

Here's my take on the last episode.

Family visits: Julia had to have been coached. How else would she even have known about Courtney being disliked in the house? I don't think Ben would have brought it up because he wanted his family to like Courtney. It was so sad that those oft-revisited issues dominated not just Courtney's visit, but Lindzi's visit, also. Julia seemed better than that to me. And because they showed us more of that "red flag" boringness, what did they leave out?

Last Chance Dates: I totally called Courtney's scrapbook as soon as she said she had a gift for Ben. That's been a winner's move on the LCDs in the past (Tessa, maybe others?). (It is of course the kiss of death earlier in the season, ahem, BLAKELEY.) I think Courtney's rehashing of the "concerns" and "defending myself" and "I don't think you realized how hard this was for me" was caused by her mounting uneasiness about her behavior on the show. She was feeling guilty and caught-out and just kind of flipped.

I ff'd through the trip down memory lane and the ring selection. Neil Lane was more annoying than usual. Ugh!

Proposal Peak: What was with the cloaks? Such a bizarre, old-fashioned look and not a garment that the average person has in her wardrobe. I liked Lindzi's dress better. Courtney's seemed too sparkly and evening-y for the daylight mountainous terrain. I almost choked when Lindzi told him "If things don't work out, call me." Wow, that is really pathetic. Maybe she was hoping for a replay of Molly/Melissa? I know I'm a total sap, but I admit that I got a bit misty during Ben's actual proposal to Courtney. I thought in that moment, they really did love each other! Then my memory returned and my rational brain restarted and my cynicism kicked in and I knew they were doomed. Like all Bachelor couples!

bluestockinghp

bluestockinghp

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 2:11 PM

So Ben said he liked Courtney because she made him feel "like a kid." So I guess what he wanted was a playmate--in both senses of the word. And not a wife. Which would explain why when things turned bad with the tabloid stories and their relationship wasn't "fun" anymore, Ben bailed.

OldWiseOne

OldWiseOne

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 3:22 PM

Julia had to have been coached. How else would she even have known about Courtney being disliked in the house?

I thought she asked Ben if there had been any drama in the house or any particular girl the others didn't like, and he told her yes and you'll meet her tomorrow.

Even if I hadn't been spoiled, there would have been no doubt in my mind who the winner was going in to the FRC. When Lyndzi went to meet the family, she said she was nervous. Then they walked in and Ben said "this is my mom and sister." When Courtney went to meet the family, Ben said he was nervous. Then they walked in and Ben said "this is Courtney."

As much as I disliked Courtney this season, I have to say she looked stunning at the FRC.

ZimZum77

ZimZum77

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 4:14 PM

I don't know if this was already answered or not but where DID Courtney get the pictures for her cheesy scrapbook?!?
They look like screen stills or something. I think they aren't allowed cameras and of course not many of the other girls would've taken pictures for her. And I think she mentioned she had been working on it for a bit, though I can't imagine when she could do that privately since I think they share rooms and houses for a bit until enough chicks leave.
Obviously she had help from... someone in production? Is that allowed, like did she ask for them or was it just special treatment since she was going to be the F1 anyway?

SaberTail

SaberTail

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 4:54 PM

where DID Courtney get the pictures for her cheesy scrapbook?!?

I wondered this as well. Especially when Ben said, "Oh, that's us ..." then sort of faded off. The photos had to be from production crews as I assume contestants aren't allowed to take pictures or have cameras or recording devices.

Crumpet

Crumpet

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 4:58 PM

JP got a photo of him and Ashley as well (and I believe Ashley said something like, "Did you know that's my favorite picture from that day?" and he said yes). I'd think it's the same way he got flowers for his date with her post Bentley leaving, or how Kacie bought a baton from a store when she wasn't carrying a purse - the crew helps.

kenyaj

kenyaj

Stalker

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 5:04 PM

Production takes the photos pretty much all throughout filming. They posted a lot of the behind-the-scenes pictures on the official website during Ashley's season, but not this season, for some reason.

mike

mike

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 3:32 PM

Ben is a bad breaker-upper. He should have just texted Lindzi with: "Welcome to Dumpsville. Population: You (and 24 others)".

laurelgardena

laurelgardena

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 5:11 PM

Late to the party

Where is the indignation

Some poor TREE met it's untimely death just so Ben could have a great view of the materhorn?