1-15: "Red-Handed" 2012.03.11

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

290 replies to this topic

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

Fanatic

• Interests:Moderating

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 4:52 PM

Emma gives Ruby a job as her assistant; David faces questions about Kathryn's disappearance; Red Riding Hood yearns to run off with her love but is prevented by a dangerous situation.

Remember to keep it on topic. Don't discuss promos in this thread. Take speculation and general discussion to other threads. Try to keep the discussion in here about this episode as much as possible. Thanks.

Also, no acronyms. Please spell out things.

SzmuttyPratfall

SzmuttyPratfall

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 8:05 PM

Nothing kills whimsy and need for adventure like finding a heart in a box. Damn you Regina, your killing of Kathryn prevented Ruby from becoming a full on Deputy which would have made this show 3 times as awesome.

I really loved this episode, loved Ruby, loved that she IS the wolf, and the killer, and I want more episodes with more of her in them.

edited for name spelling.

Edited by SzmuttyPratfall, Mar 11, 2012 @ 8:07 PM.

cordy1001

cordy1001

Channel Surfer

I should've figured that out but I didn't. Especially since his name was Peter. Good episode though.

Darlin

Darlin

Video Archivist

Interesting twist to the Little Red Riding Hood story. I liked this episode but am growing a bit bored with the Kathryn missing story . . . until the very last segment.

GhostJack21

GhostJack21

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 8:07 PM

Red and Granny didn't get their happy ending in the fairytale world. Ruby does eventually get away, but does that mean Granny got killed? They got their happy ending in the Real World. What's going to happen to them when they go back?

mustbekarma

mustbekarma

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 8:07 PM

Oh shit. Ruby was the wolf. I knew it wouldn't be Peter, and I thought for sure it was Grandma, except for the whole crossbow waiting by the door bit. I can't fathom how Henry thinks Red Riding Hood is a badass and really cool. I just don't know.

This episode surprised me, and that's a good thing. I guess the good news is that Catherine could still be alive, just like Graham was alive. Even when Regina has minimal screen time, she sure does have an influence.

MisterGlass

MisterGlass

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 8:09 PM

Nice twist that Red is the wolf, and that her ill-fated paramour was Peter. I thought at first that the Red in this flashback seemed a little sweeter and more innocent than she was later, and this explains why. However, I cannot defend Granny's decision not to tell Red she is a wolf, especially when they have a preventative on hand, which she would wear if she had a better reason than an old wives' tale like "red repels wolves".

In Storybrooke, the Catherine disappearance took a darker turn than I expected. Another heart in a box. Yikes.

Gregzilla

Gregzilla

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 8:09 PM

Great episode. Granny, in FTL, was pretty damn badass. :D And, as expected, given more screen time, red was even more awesome, too. Hoping, with that ending, that she sticks to not wearing any make up in Storybrooke.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 8:10 PM

Damn you Regina, your killing of Kathryn

Who's to say that she's dead? Regina steals the hearts of living people all the time.

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 8:10 PM

I don't know if that's Kathryn's heart in the box. Something is telling me that it isn't, but whose could it be?And why would Regina plant it by the t®oll bridge? If she even planted it, of course. And what happened to David? Did Regina, Mr. Gold or August do something to him? Or is that just one of the side effects from being in a coma?

Terrific episode. Ruby is the best, she really is. I really loved Peter and I did start tearing up when he was killed. I knew he would, but I didn't know Ruby/Red would be the wolf. I should have figured it out from all the clues, but I'm slow like that.

I love that in Fairy Tale World, Snow made her name Mary (Margaret?). That was a good twist. I also loved Henry's role. But Regina has officially grated. I was yelling at my tv when she walked on the screen. Great actress, I just really hate her character right now.

celette482

celette482

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 8:11 PM

Anyone want to take bets that it won't be Kathryn's heart? The queen has a collection large enough to give Dexter a run for his money.

Darlin

Darlin

Video Archivist

Red and Granny didn't get their happy ending in the fairytale world. Ruby does eventually get away, but does that mean Granny got killed? They got their happy ending in the Real World. What's going to happen to them when they go back?

Granny was still alive when the curse was enacted. She was among those who were trying to help Snow and David fight back against the Queen in the first episode.

I remember a couple of episodes back, one of the backstories involving Snow had her meeting with Red in the woods and she said something to the effect that she {Snow} helped her {Red}when no one else would. Does anyone remember that scene? I am guessing that after discovering she was the wolf Red went into hiding while Snow was still on the run?

GhostJack21

GhostJack21

Loyal Viewer

Musbekarma = I can't fathom how Henry thinks Red Riding Hood is a badass and really cool. I just don't know.

Well, it's cool she can turn into a wolf, and it's badass that she can track folks with smell and super hearing. It just sucks that she can't control it, and she kills people.

Granny was still alive when the curse was enacted. She was among those who were trying to help Snow and David fight back against the Queen in the first episode.

You're right. I forgot about it. Still, they were separated and Red might have gone into hiding. That's not a very good happy ending...

Edited by GhostJack21, Mar 11, 2012 @ 8:14 PM.

SzmuttyPratfall

SzmuttyPratfall

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 8:13 PM

Who's to say that she's dead? Regina steals the hearts of living people all the time.

Yes but all the other hearts she keeps in her mausoleum when those people are still alive. Also, if it was similar to Graham, Emma would be asking why the heart had seemed to crystallize. They showed the heart that got placed in Graham's box, it was magically altered to go along with that spell. If the same was for Kathryn, I do not think they would have avoided showing it, because it was alluded to be a disgusting horrific mess.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 8:14 PM

Poor Peter. Maybe I wasn't trying to think too hard, but I didn't see the twist coming at all. I figured it must have been Peter, or perhaps Granny. (Though apparently she used to be in some capacity.)

I must say that Ruby looked absolutely lovely in that last scene with Granny at the diner. She looks so much prettier with the toned-down look.

A human heart in a box. One of the top five things that I do not want to ever find in a scavenger hunt. Being unspoiled on this show other than what appears on my cable guide synopsis for the upcoming week, I have no idea if Kathryn is still alive somewhere or not. Even if that is supposed to be her heart in there, we do know that having your heart actually reside in your body is not a requirement to live in Storybrooke.

spearmom

spearmom

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 8:15 PM

I first thought Peter was going to be the wolf, then I knew it was going to be Red, but I didn't expect her to kill Peter. I thought true love would win the wolf's heart.

I knew when Ruby found the box it was going to be a heart. I don't think it is Kathryn's, however. Not sure who's heart it is.

I liked this episode a lot better than last week's.

DeadIrishWriter

DeadIrishWriter

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 8:15 PM

I actually found both the fairytale plotline and the "real world" plotline to be interesting this episode. Loved how dark it was.. human hearts in boxes, a girl eats her boyfriend..

Hey remember some episodes back when we came upon Mr. Gold in the forest with a shovel? It was before Kathryn disappeared though. Hmmm.

The scene with David wandering around the forest makes me wonder if the "I am looking for her" wasn't David looking for Kathryn but Charming looking for Snow.. like his real psyche was slipping through for a bit. But then why did he not respond when Mary-Margaret was standing right in front of him? Double hmmm.

I liked the parallel of Ruby as the wolf/dog in the "real world" with her sensitive hearing and her proclivity to dig in the dirt (and her eagerness to please).

El Seed

El Seed

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 8:17 PM

I enjoyed the twist of Red as the wolf, particularly since her beau was named Peter. And Granny was a badass.

Heart in a box...finally the "Kathryn is missing" plotline goes somewhere. Though I'd like to know who owned that box, because it seemed overly ornate to hide a human organ, well, unless you're Regina. Speaking of Regina, she's still the emergency contact for David? Oh, come on. Even with Kathryn missing that's still ludicrous.

Because of Snow White's cover as "Mary," and Ruby's trek to the river, and the missing Kathryn, I started humming "Hazard" by the end of the episode. Damn you, Richard Marx.

SanLynn

SanLynn

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 8:20 PM

I think this has to be one of my favorite episodes so far. No "world" dragged down the other, I cared about all the characters involved and the story didn't drag.

And Meghan Ory was fantastic.

Tzigone

Tzigone

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 8:20 PM

I don't know if that's Kathryn's heart in the box. Something is telling me that it isn't, but whose could it be?

Anyone want to take bets that it won't be Kathryn's heart? The queen has a collection large enough to give Dexter a run for his money.

I agree. We know that Regina collects both flesh and crystalline hearts. It's likely from her collection. My first thought was that whoever said it was human was lying (maybe Whale under Regina's orders) in a parallel to Snow White's supposed heart. Then I remembered there were fleshy hearts in the collection, too. Easiest explanation.

Granny was stupid not to tell Red. With such an easy solution, too. However, I think we can say badassery was inherited. I want to see how the scene plays out. What happens with Granny in the Enchanted Forest, and so on.

Also, because of the badassery reference from Henry, I'm wondering if there's more than one wolf - and a showdown is coming.

Edited by Tzigone, Mar 11, 2012 @ 8:21 PM.

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 8:22 PM

Hey, here's a crazy thought: maybe the heart is Regina's. Dunno why it would be all the way out there but it could be hers.

Dani-Ellie

Dani-Ellie

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 8:23 PM

Absolutely loved this episode.

I gasped at the twist that Red was the wolf. That? Was friggin' awesome. And took me completely by surprise! Didn't get the Peter reference until I came here. I'm a little slow on the uptake tonight. :)

I'm on the fence as to whether that was really Kathryn's heart in the box or not. On the one hand, I wouldn't put it past Regina to kill Kathryn, put her heart in a box, and use it to frame Mary Margaret. On the other hand, Regina also has a bunch of hearts at her disposal and wouldn't need to specifically take Kathryn's.

The other hand begs the question, though, as to what she did with Kathryn if she didn't kill her. Hmmm.

And what was going on with David? Is it really coma stuff or is something more going on there?

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 8:25 PM

Slightly off-topic: found it hilarious that the promo for The Bachelor finale during this episode was totally a homage/rip-off of the promos for this show. You know the show is doing well when other shows are trying to ride the hype.

Anyway, I actually loved this episode, despite it being mainly a stand alone episode, at least in fairy tale land. But I loved getting the back-story of Red Riding Hood and Granny, and I totally didn't see the twist coming, even though when I think about it, the signs where there. The ending was pretty dark for this show; Red basically ate her boyfriend. That's a sucky way to go. Loved how Snow and Red met and their bond. And in modern world, I liked seeing Ruby gain confidence over herself and realize she can do more then just be a flirty waitress. Really liking the actress playing her; it helps she hot obviously (although I still prefer the Red look to the Ruby one), but I think she brings a real likability to the role. I hope she sticks around for a while.

Count me as someone who doesn't think that heart is Kathryn's; it's probably one of the ones Regina keeps around in her evil lair. Poor Mary though; being the one set-up. Regina really is an evil piece of work; hope Emma and crew prove her innocence and we can get to the battle soon.

No Gold/Rumpel made me sad, although the brief return of Dr. Whale was good. I remember reading an article with the writers where they said the problem was David Anders was busy with another show, but that he should be done with that and be available to do more episodes. I think he could be intriguing; is he just another puppet of Regina's (like Sidney), or could he be turned or end up with his own agenda? Not to mention which fairy-tale character is he? (the whale from Pinocchio? Something completely different?)

Looking forward to next week with the return of Rumpel and vengeful Snow White?!

BooBear

BooBear

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 8:27 PM

I'm on the fence as to whether that was really Kathryn's heart in the box or not. On the one hand, I wouldn't put it past Regina to kill Kathryn, put her heart in a box, and use it to frame Mary Margaret. On the other hand, Regina also has a bunch of hearts at her disposal and wouldn't need to specifically take Kathryn's.

Didn't we get a hint of who's heart it was in the "previouslies" ... we saw Sheriff Graham again, I bet that it is his. I am curious how Snow's prints got on the box.

oldandnewfirm

oldandnewfirm

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 8:31 PM

I remember a couple of episodes back, one of the backstories involving Snow had her meeting with Red in the woods and she said something to the effect that she {Snow} helped her {Red}when no one else would. Does anyone remember that scene? I am guessing that after discovering she was the wolf Red went into hiding while Snow was still on the run?

I assumed Snow was referring to the fact that she was the one to help Red track the wolf, and for her later covering of Red's absence when Red went to spend the night with Peter.

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

• Interests:Gardening

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 8:32 PM

I am curious how Snow's prints got on the box.

Did Emma say on the box or in? I thought she said in, but that doesn't make any sense - how would you get prints in the box, but not outside? Did I just hear it wrong?

Edited by CrumbyButtons, Mar 11, 2012 @ 8:33 PM.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 8:33 PM

Didn't we get a hint of who's heart it was in the "previouslies" ... we saw Sheriff Graham again, I bet that it is his. I am curious how Snow's prints got on the box.

If Graham being featured in the "previously" was meant to be a clue about something, then maybe it's just a reminder of how his heart was kept in a box, too. But this new one can't be his; Regina crumbled it to dust.

Edited by Chicken Wing, Mar 11, 2012 @ 8:34 PM.

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 8:33 PM

Yeah, but Regina crushed his heart in her hand....

Geez, I don't know why I miss Graham so much. He's been gone for eight episodes and I still get sad that he's not here.

And I think I may be the sole one here, but was anyone else feeling some intense vibes with August and Ruby? A little bit of chemistry, at least more than August/Emma.

Edited by TWoP Tennison, Mar 12, 2012 @ 9:42 AM.
Shouting

lucindabelle

lucindabelle

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 8:36 PM

Oh poor Peter. But Peter kills the wolf in Peter and the wolf, doesn't he? I did love the episode but am beginning to wonder about the people who aren't happy EVEN in Fairy tale. And poor Peter. And poor Snow! Was Granny about to turn into a wolf and sacrifice herself? Why did anybody have to run, can't they all just say they found Peter but didn't see the wolf? I was thinking it was going to be the head of the hunting party who was the wolf-- I was suspicious when he got away.

And was it me, or was Granny all "you're all grown up," as if Ruby "finding out who she was" is equated with Red killing and gobbling up her boyfriend? Ick.

El Seed

El Seed

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 8:41 PM

Did Emma say on the box or in? I thought she said in, but that doesn't make any sense - how would you get prints in the box, but not outside? Did I just hear it wrong?

I heard in the box. However, who takes care to not get any prints on the outside, but is careless enough to leave them on the inside? Until I get confirmation otherwise, I think it's all Regina's doing.

Edited by El Seed, Mar 11, 2012 @ 8:41 PM.